From: otoma...@oto.invalid (Otomatic)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Diacritical_character
s_like_è_à_ù_recod
ing_in_subject_in_rep
ly
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 11:07:30 +0200
 by: Otomatic - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 09:07 UTC

Hi,

I use your explanation:
[Unicode] How to -- Full Unicode display in Agent's message body pane
By the way, thank you very much for this.

But I have a problem with recoding Subjects when I reply to a message
and the Subject contains diacritical characters.
For example:
Subject: Firefox 89 et barre en haut de la fenêtre
When responding, it becomes:
Subject: Re: Firefox 89 et barre en haut de la fenêtre

I'm putting it in the subject line of this post on purpose.

Re: Diacritical characters like ?? ?? ?? recoding in subject in reply

<orm3cg969kck1cainmdtf45pcqnthu18lp@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2521&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2521

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Diacritical characters like ?? ?? ?? recoding in subject in reply
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 22:02:24 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 10:02 UTC

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 11:07:30 +0200, Otomatic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use your explanation:
> [Unicode] How to -- Full Unicode display in Agent's message body pane
> By the way, thank you very much for this.
>
> But I have a problem with recoding Subjects when I reply to a message
> and the Subject contains diacritical characters.
> For example:
> Subject: Firefox 89 et barre en haut de la fenêtre
> When responding, it becomes:
> Subject: Re: Firefox 89 et barre en haut de la fenêtre
>
> I'm putting it in the subject line of this post on purpose.

It works correctly when you use this method instead:
Announcement: Unicode Extension beta version 0.3.2020.700 for Forte Agent
provided that, in the font settings for Unicode, you also have a
check-mark in the setting "Use the variable-pitch body font for
Headers". Screen-shot: <https://i.imgur.com/AC3dqNF.gif> 😊

This method:
[Unicode] How to -- Full Unicode display in Agent's message body pane
only supports Unicode in the message body pane, not in the subject field. 🙁

I used the Unicode Extension for this reply, and the accented characters
in your subject line came through correctly when responding. 👍

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Diacritical characters like è à ù recoding in subject in reply

<ma34cg113u8vb8vm0mcplb3no78c0mvki6@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2522&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2522

From: otoma...@oto.invalid (Otomatic)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Diacritical_character
s_like_è_à_ù_recod
ing_in_subject_in_rep
ly
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 15:05:15 +0200
 by: Otomatic - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 13:05 UTC

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> �crivait :

> On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 11:07:30 +0200, Otomatic wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I use your explanation:
> > [Unicode] How to -- Full Unicode display in Agent's message body pane
> > By the way, thank you very much for this.
> >
> > But I have a problem with recoding Subjects when I reply to a message
> > and the Subject contains diacritical characters.
> > For example:
> > Subject: Firefox 89 et barre en haut de la fenêtre
> > When responding, it becomes:
> > Subject: Re: Firefox 89 et barre en haut de la fenêtre
> >
> > I'm putting it in the subject line of this post on purpose.
>

> It works correctly when you use this method instead:
> Announcement: Unicode Extension beta version 0.3.2020.700 for Forte Agent
> provided that, in the font settings for Unicode, you also have a
> check-mark in the setting "Use the variable-pitch body font for
> Headers". Screen-shot: <https://i.imgur.com/AC3dqNF.gif> 😊
>

> This method:
> [Unicode] How to -- Full Unicode display in Agent's message body pane
> only supports Unicode in the message body pane, not in the subject field. 🙁
>

> I used the Unicode Extension for this reply, and the accented characters
> in your subject line came through correctly when responding. 👍

Thank you very much!
I have just used the same method to reply and all is well in the best of
worlds.

Re: Diacritical characters like è à ù recoding in subject in reply

<t0d1tgpehqp45tpaqqmeej32io0bdbjqnk@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3044&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3044

From: valerio....@inwind.it (Valerio Vanni)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
s_like_è_à_ù_recod
ing_in_subject_in_rep
ly
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2022 21:21:32 +0100
 by: Valerio Vanni - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 20:21 UTC

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 22:02:24 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:
>> Subject: Firefox 89 et barre en haut de la fenêtre
>> When responding, it becomes:
>> Subject: Re: Firefox 89 et barre en haut de la fenêtre
>>
>> I'm putting it in the subject line of this post on purpose.
>

>It works correctly when you use this method instead:
> Announcement: Unicode Extension beta version 0.3.2020.700 for Forte Agent
>provided that, in the font settings for Unicode, you also have a
>check-mark in the setting "Use the variable-pitch body font for
>Headers". Screen-shot: <https://i.imgur.com/AC3dqNF.gif> 😊

First of all, Ralph, thank you for Unicode Extension.

I've installed it and now with some help from Notepad++ I can manage
unicode characters in body field.

For Subject field, I see 2 different behaviors:

-With "Use the variable-pitch body..." unmarked, if I post accented
characters I find them messed up (like the "fenêtre" case reported
above)

-With "Use the variable-pitch body..." marked, I can post accented
characters and I can see them correctly. But if answer to that post,
accented characters are stripped down. Not messed, they just vanish,
"fenêtre" would become "fentre".
The only workaround is adding them again by hand when I answer.

--
Ci sono 10 tipi di persone al mondo: quelle che capiscono il sistema binario
e quelle che non lo capiscono.

Re: Diacritical characters like ?? ?? ?? recoding in subject in reply

<3dd5tgloqpop2da66b8hbgicfskgfq5k10@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3048&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3048

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 21:53:04 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 08:53 UTC

On Sat, 01 Jan 2022 21:21:32 +0100, Valerio Vanni wrote:

> First of all, Ralph, thank you for Unicode Extension.
>
> I've installed it and now with some help from Notepad++ I can manage
> unicode characters in body field.
>
> For Subject field, I see 2 different behaviors:
>
> -With "Use the variable-pitch body..." unmarked, if I post accented
> characters I find them messed up (like the "fenêtre" case reported
> above)
>
> -With "Use the variable-pitch body..." marked, I can post accented
> characters and I can see them correctly. But if answer to that post,
> accented characters are stripped down. Not messed, they just vanish,
> "fenêtre" would become "fentre".
> The only workaround is adding them again by hand when I answer.

If you want to reply in full Unicode to a message, then:

i) Make sure Agent has the message body for the message which you
are replying to.
ii) Change the language of the original message to "Unicode UTF-8"
_before_ replying.
iii) Then click reply.
The language of the composition window will be automatically
set to "Unicode UTF-8", the same as the original message
(assuming Agent has the message body for the original message).
iv) Keep the language of the composition window as "Full Unicode" when
sending.

That is what I did for this reply, and the accented characters è à ù in
this thread's subject were not messed up or stripped out in my reply.

If "fenêtre" is changing to "fentre" in the subject, then one of
three things might be happening.

(a) You click "Reply" and then change the language to Unicode
in the compose window;

(b) Or, you are replying to a message without a body
(with some additional conditions to make this happen);

(c) Or, you are using Agent 1.92 or earlier
(with some additional conditions to make this happen).

It is best not to change the message language on the compose window.
Doing so is likely to mess up Unicode characters already in the message.
My case (a) above is if this were what was happening to "fenêtre" in the
subject.

When you change the language of the original message to "Unicode UTF-8"
and then click Reply, having the subject come through correctly can also
depend on both of the following [^1]:
1) You are using Agent 1.93 or later
2) And, Agent has the body for the message you are replying to.

When you are using Agent 1.93 or later and Agent has the message body,
Agent will get the reply subject from the 'full' headers of the
original message (which you can see in the message body pane when you
turn on "View >> Show All Header Fields"). If the language of the
original message has been set to Unicode, Agent knows how to populate
the reply subject with the correct Unicode.

When Agent does not have the message body, or when you are using
Agent 1.92 or earlier, Agent will get the reply subject from the
'overview' headers (calculated when you get headers and which appear
in the message list pane). The 'overview' headers do not always work
too well with full Unicode. My cases (b) and (c) above are this.

One other thing I noticed. If "fenêtre" is changing to "fentre"
in the subject, then you are probably using Windows XP or earlier.
In Windows 7 and later under the same conditions, "fenêtre" would
change to "fen�tre" or to "fen?tre".

* Readers: to see the difference between "fen�tre" and "fen?tre",
browser to view my reply here, here or here:
[GG] <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/o2KSO5L4-LI/m/RRmWm2kUAwAJ>
[NB] <https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3044&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3044>
[NK] <https://alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.narkive.com/fiiAwYUl/diacritical-characters-like-e-a-u-recoding-in-subject-in-reply#post4>

____
FOOTNOTES

[^1] There was a change in Agent 1.93 to fetch the reply subject from the
original message full headers (if possible), rather than from the
'overview' headers.

Help >> Index >> Release Notes >> Release Notes for Agent 1.x (Archive) >> Version 1.93

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* When composing a reply, Agent now uses the actual subject from
the original message, not the subject retrieved in the message
header. This ensures that the correct subject is used in the
reply if there is some discrepancy between the two.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Diacritical characters like è à ù recoding in subject in reply

<2d5ftgdvhljhdlpetim55qmdfstn8n0lcn@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3052&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3052

From: valerio....@inwind.it (Valerio Vanni)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
s_like_è_à_ù_recod
ing_in_subject_in_rep
ly
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2022 02:36:59 +0100
 by: Valerio Vanni - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 01:36 UTC

On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 21:53:04 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Jan 2022 21:21:32 +0100, Valerio Vanni wrote:

>> For Subject field, I see 2 different behaviors:
>>
>> -With "Use the variable-pitch body..." unmarked, if I post accented
>> characters I find them messed up (like the "fenêtre" case reported
>> above)
>>
>> -With "Use the variable-pitch body..." marked, I can post accented
>> characters and I can see them correctly. But if answer to that post,
>> accented characters are stripped down. Not messed, they just vanish,
>> "fenêtre" would become "fentre".
>> The only workaround is adding them again by hand when I answer.
>

>If you want to reply in full Unicode to a message, then:
>
> i) Make sure Agent has the message body for the message which you
> are replying to.
> ii) Change the language of the original message to "Unicode UTF-8"
> _before_ replying.

I adopted unicode only for some newsgroup.
For most of them, I don't need Unicode so I left original language
settings based on Codepage 1252 and Charset "Western with Euro".
The same for "Sent folder", I left it with original language.

For newsgroups where I need it, I made parallel archive folders with
old "kept" messages (set on original language, just to avoid messing
something).

But then on those newsgroup properties news language "Unicode" is
default, if I select "edit->language" I find already "Unicode".

>One other thing I noticed. If "fenêtre" is changing to "fentre"
>in the subject, then you are probably using Windows XP or earlier.
>In Windows 7 and later under the same conditions, "fenêtre" would
>change to "fen�tre" or to "fen?tre".

Yes, I'm using Windows XP. Agent version is 8.

--
Ci sono 10 tipi di persone al mondo: quelle che capiscono il sistema binario
e quelle che non lo capiscono.

Re: Diacritical characters like recoding in subject in reply

<3d6ftg173kq7mva3kc8kobp1pl27rji0tp@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3053&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3053

From: valerio....@inwind.it (Valerio Vanni)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2022 02:41:32 +0100
 by: Valerio Vanni - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 01:41 UTC

On Fri, 07 Jan 2022 02:36:59 +0100, Valerio Vanni
<valerio.vanni@inwind.it> wrote:

>>> For Subject field, I see 2 different behaviors:
>>>
>>> -With "Use the variable-pitch body..." unmarked, if I post accented
>>> characters I find them messed up (like the "fenêtre" case reported
>>> above)
>>>
>>> -With "Use the variable-pitch body..." marked, I can post accented
>>> characters and I can see them correctly. But if answer to that post,
>>> accented characters are stripped down. Not messed, they just vanish,
>>> "fenêtre" would become "fentre".
>>> The only workaround is adding them again by hand when I answer.

>>One other thing I noticed. If "fenêtre" is changing to "fentre"
>>in the subject, then you are probably using Windows XP or earlier.
>>In Windows 7 and later under the same conditions, "fenêtre" would
>>change to "fen�tre" or to "fen?tre".
>
>Yes, I'm using Windows XP. Agent version is 8.

Look at this answer and at the previous: when I answer to one of your
messages, è à ù appear (no, I didn't add them by hand); when I
answer to one of mine, they disappear.