Respect is a rational process -- McCoy, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / What's wrong here?

SubjectAuthor
* What's wrong here?Terry Pinnell
+* Re: What's wrong here?KenW
|`* Re: What's wrong here?Arthur T.
| `* Re: What's wrong here?none
|  `* Re: What's wrong here?Arthur T.
|   `- Re: Re: What's wrong here?deraldm
+* Re: What's wrong here?none
|`* Re: What's wrong here?Terry Pinnell
| `- Re: What's wrong here?Arthur T.
`* Re: What's wrong here?Ralph Fox
 `- Re: What's wrong here?Terry Pinnell

1
What's wrong here?

<s1l4cghhp5qaen9higvoh7qedrri6k9utb@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2525&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2525

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: What's wrong here?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 19:09:13 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 18:09 UTC

Could someone advise me what Agent factors, if any, could be behind a
couple of complaints (assumed genuine) that I've received from one
individual please, before I draft my reply to #2?

Both are within the newsgroup alt.comp.os.windows-10

My posts
--------
">>There are MS articles about it but none
>>seem up to date.

A typical example is the very recent 'Office 365' article here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/troubleshoot/administration/enable-disable-hyperlink-warning

Its only mention of Office 365 apart from the heading is its Note about
the renaming. The instructions don't go beyond Office 2010!"

#1 Reply from ? Good Guy ?
--------------------------
"HTML post is missing here boy!"

(No other similar responses in that 37-post thread. My reply was "Works
fine here boy.")

My post, first few lines of lengthy post, including a link.
"I'm trying to associate .STL files with Ultimaker Cura (version 4.9.1).
All the GUI methods including 'Settings > Default Apps' and 'Open
With...' from the right click context menu have failed to work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lnn4gagq2ft9c53/DefaultNotWorking.jpg?raw=1

So I'm trying the command prompt 'assoc'."

#2 Reply from ? Good Guy ?
--------------------------
"It has been a custom in these newsgroups that to read HTML posts, one
needs to have HTML enabled newsreader such as Mozilla Thunderbird. Try
looking at the source code of this message to see if it makes any sense
to you!."

Terry

Re: What's wrong here?

<8pm4cg1lftikjjvinmi8ti1l53i3n32d2q@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2527&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2527

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: What's wrong here?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 12:35:26 -0600
 by: KenW - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 18:35 UTC

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 19:09:13 +0100, Terry Pinnell
<me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:

>Could someone advise me what Agent factors, if any, could be behind a
>couple of complaints (assumed genuine) that I've received from one
>individual please, before I draft my reply to #2?
>
>Both are within the newsgroup alt.comp.os.windows-10

>My posts
>--------
>">>There are MS articles about it but none
>>>seem up to date.
>>>
>A typical example is the very recent 'Office 365' article here:
>
>https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/troubleshoot/administration/enable-disable-hyperlink-warning
>
>Its only mention of Office 365 apart from the heading is its Note about
>the renaming. The instructions don't go beyond Office 2010!"
>
>#1 Reply from ? Good Guy ?
>--------------------------
>"HTML post is missing here boy!"
>
>(No other similar responses in that 37-post thread. My reply was "Works
>fine here boy.")

>My post, first few lines of lengthy post, including a link.
>"I'm trying to associate .STL files with Ultimaker Cura (version 4.9.1).
>All the GUI methods including 'Settings > Default Apps' and 'Open
>With...' from the right click context menu have failed to work.
>
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/lnn4gagq2ft9c53/DefaultNotWorking.jpg?raw=1
>
>So I'm trying the command prompt 'assoc'."
>
>#2 Reply from ? Good Guy ?
>--------------------------
>"It has been a custom in these newsgroups that to read HTML posts, one
>needs to have HTML enabled newsreader such as Mozilla Thunderbird. Try
>looking at the source code of this message to see if it makes any sense
>to you!."
>
>Terry

I have Good Guy kill filed for years.

KenW

Re: What's wrong here?

<lnn4cg1h6l08ukiugkgb1td4nfb4m06noc@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2528&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2528

From: non...@given.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 20:55:53 +0200
 by: non...@given.com - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 18:55 UTC

<me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:

>Could someone advise me what Agent factors, if any, could be behind a
>couple of complaints (assumed genuine) that I've received from one
>individual please, before I draft my reply to #2?
>
>Both are within the newsgroup alt.comp.os.windows-10

>#1 Reply from ? Good Guy ?
>--------------------------
>"HTML post is missing here boy!"

>#2 Reply from ? Good Guy ?
>--------------------------
>"It has been a custom in these newsgroups that to read HTML posts, one
>needs to have HTML enabled newsreader such as Mozilla Thunderbird. Try
>looking at the source code of this message to see if it makes any sense
>to you!."

What's wrong is that the guy who is writing those responses is an
ignorant idiot with attitude.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your posts in terms of
legibility. (I question your futule desire to dick about with
Windows, but that's another subject.)

Ignore him. Do not engage with him. Twats like him always have more
endurance, so just killfile him if he persists.

Re: What's wrong here?

<apn4cg5tchhi8135c5e8i16hti5d9enhc0@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2529&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2529

From: art...@munged.invalid (Arthur T.)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 15:11:36 -0400
 by: Arthur T. - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 19:11 UTC

In Message-ID:<8pm4cg1lftikjjvinmi8ti1l53i3n32d2q@4ax.com>,
KenW <ken1943@invalid.net>
wrote:

>>#2 Reply from ? Good Guy ?
>>--------------------------
>>"It has been a custom in these newsgroups that to read HTML posts, one
>>needs to have HTML enabled newsreader such as Mozilla Thunderbird. Try
>>looking at the source code of this message to see if it makes any sense
>>to you!."
>>
>>Terry
>
>I have Good Guy kill filed for years.

This is to Terry, the OP, rather than KenW, whose message I'm
"replying" to.

As a bystander, I can't yet decide if killfiling Good Guy is a right
choice. The original post about this is fine.

But did you follow his suggestion and look at the postings he
complained about in Raw (ctrl-R)? I can't do that because you did a
copy-and-paste of your message, but didn't give us a clickable
Message-ID so we could see the actual post for ourselves.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Re: What's wrong here?

<2ur4cgdh7chpnvku5pjgilp5a0k3jfi1cp@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2530&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2530

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 21:10:27 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 20:10 UTC

none@given.com wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 19:09:13 +0100, Terry Pinnell
><me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Could someone advise me what Agent factors, if any, could be behind a
>>couple of complaints (assumed genuine) that I've received from one
>>individual please, before I draft my reply to #2?
>>
>>Both are within the newsgroup alt.comp.os.windows-10
>

>>#1 Reply from ? Good Guy ?
>>--------------------------
>>"HTML post is missing here boy!"
>
>>#2 Reply from ? Good Guy ?
>>--------------------------
>>"It has been a custom in these newsgroups that to read HTML posts, one
>>needs to have HTML enabled newsreader such as Mozilla Thunderbird. Try
>>looking at the source code of this message to see if it makes any sense
>>to you!."
>
>What's wrong is that the guy who is writing those responses is an
>ignorant idiot with attitude.
>
>There is absolutely nothing wrong with your posts in terms of
>legibility. (I question your futule desire to dick about with
>Windows, but that's another subject.)
>
>Ignore him. Do not engage with him. Twats like him always have more
>endurance, so just killfile him if he persists.

Thanks all.

Arthur: Ctrl+r shows nothing different about the body or header text.

The name '? Good Guy ?' had me almost ready, but after this feedback I
now won't hesitate to killfile.

Terry

Re: What's wrong here?

<op65cgpj2r8kueuuqca6oqjgu9ogbrhjj9@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2531&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2531

From: art...@munged.invalid (Arthur T.)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 19:09:12 -0400
 by: Arthur T. - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 23:09 UTC

In Message-ID:<2ur4cgdh7chpnvku5pjgilp5a0k3jfi1cp@4ax.com>,
Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:

>Arthur: Ctrl+r shows nothing different about the body or header text.

It's good to have confirmation. And with that confirmation...

>The name '? Good Guy ?' had me almost ready, but after this feedback I
>now won't hesitate to killfile.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Re: What's wrong here?

<lk16cgldr4muj4d1cgbl77gndsoonmr3pv@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2532&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2532

From: non...@given.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 08:56:33 +0200
 by: non...@given.com - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 06:56 UTC

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 15:11:36 -0400, Arthur T. <arthur@munged.invalid>
wrote:

>As a bystander, I can't yet decide if killfiling Good Guy is a right
>choice.

The Good Guy character appears to have "got religion" about
Thunderbird, very much inferior as a newsreader, and has decided to
engage on a one-child campaign to convert Usenet to HTML. Good luck
with that.

That Usenet is not HTML-based is to him both invisible and irrelevant.
Irony being, he knows that he's using an irrelevant format that makes
his postings illegible, hence his "Everybody needs to change to be in
step with me" screed in every one of his messages. The very epitome
of pissing into the wind.

Given all that, I would doubt very much that Good Guy would have
anything useful to contribute to any subject, let alone the actual
subject of that discussion. Killfiling one more obsessive source of
useless noise isn't going to be a loss to anyone.

Re: What's wrong here?

<6s66cghi2vd53ijrs06eqd3o9a4qbc3bb4@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2533&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2533

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 20:17:09 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 08:17 UTC

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 19:09:13 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> Could someone advise me what Agent factors, if any, could be behind a
> couple of complaints (assumed genuine) that I've received from one
> individual please, before I draft my reply to #2?

See comments below.

> Both are within the newsgroup alt.comp.os.windows-10

> My posts
> --------
> ">>There are MS articles about it but none
> >>seem up to date.
> >>
> A typical example is the very recent 'Office 365' article here:
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/troubleshoot/administration/enable-disable-hyperlink-warning
>
> Its only mention of Office 365 apart from the heading is its Note about
> the renaming. The instructions don't go beyond Office 2010!"
>
> #1 Reply from ? Good Guy ?
> --------------------------
> "HTML post is missing here boy!"

Your Agent 4.2 has a plain text viewer and an HTML viewer.
You are viewing that reply in Agent's plain text viewer.
😉 Good Guy 😉 wants you to view the reply in the HTML viewer.

😉 Good Guy 😉 has constructed this reply post so that you will
see one reply body (the above) in the plain text viewer, and
a very different reply body in the HTML viewer.

> (No other similar responses in that 37-post thread. My reply was "Works
> fine here boy.")

> My post, first few lines of lengthy post, including a link.
> "I'm trying to associate .STL files with Ultimaker Cura (version 4.9.1).
> All the GUI methods including 'Settings > Default Apps' and 'Open
> With...' from the right click context menu have failed to work.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/lnn4gagq2ft9c53/DefaultNotWorking.jpg?raw=1
>
> So I'm trying the command prompt 'assoc'."
>
> #2 Reply from ? Good Guy ?
> --------------------------
> "It has been a custom in these newsgroups that to read HTML posts, one
> needs to have HTML enabled newsreader such as Mozilla Thunderbird. Try
> looking at the source code of this message to see if it makes any sense
> to you!."

Same as above.

Your Agent 4.2 has a plain text viewer and an HTML viewer.
You are viewing that reply in Agent's plain text viewer.
😉 Good Guy 😉 wants you to view the reply in the HTML viewer.

😉 Good Guy 😉 has constructed this reply post so that you will
see one reply body (the above) in the plain text viewer, and
a very different reply body in the HTML viewer.

* * *

To switch your Agent's HTML viewer on or off, it should be as simple
as pulling down the "View" menu and turn on or off "View >> Display
HTML Content".

But first, go to "Tools >> Options >> Display >> Message Body Pane"
and check that your settings under "HTML Messages" are like this:

[x] Allow HTML content to be displayed -- CHECKED

If a message body has both plain and HTML alternative renditions:
(*) Display the HTML rendition -- SELECTED
( ) Display the plain rendition -- NOT SELECTED

* * *

You will see a different reply body from 😉 Good Guy 😉 in the
HTML viewer.

But if you find the different reply is no "better", then the other
Agent factor which you may want to look at is to add an entry here:

Tools >> Usenet Filters >> Filter >> New Kill Filter
Filter expression:
from: {\? Good Guy \? <Hello\.World@example\.com>}
Kill Action:

B-)

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: What's wrong here?

<2m67cgldcjp1mhveie1strlted07hmoapb@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2534&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2534

From: art...@munged.invalid (Arthur T.)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 13:24:44 -0400
 by: Arthur T. - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 17:24 UTC

In Message-ID:<lk16cgldr4muj4d1cgbl77gndsoonmr3pv@4ax.com>,
none@given.com wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 15:11:36 -0400, Arthur T. <arthur@munged.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>As a bystander, I can't yet decide if killfiling Good Guy is a right
>>choice.
>
>The Good Guy character appears to have "got religion" about
>Thunderbird, very much inferior as a newsreader, and has decided to
>engage on a one-child campaign to convert Usenet to HTML. Good luck
>with that.

I see now that you are correct. But that's so far out of my world
view that I read it as the opposite - that he was complaining that
the post was in HTML and he couldn't read it.

While it's about e-mail rather than Usenet, I had come across this in
a sig a while back:

HTML email should be treated in the same manner as sexual acts
between consenting adults. Only done in private places where willing
parties, who have agreed beforehand, will see it!

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Re: What's wrong here?

<k9k7cgpflpvm99u5t325orab8sj562t2p2@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2535&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2535

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 22:12:18 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 21:12 UTC

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

> [...]
>
> * * *
>
>To switch your Agent's HTML viewer on or off, it should be as simple
>as pulling down the "View" menu and turn on or off "View >> Display
>HTML Content".
>
>But first, go to "Tools >> Options >> Display >> Message Body Pane"
>and check that your settings under "HTML Messages" are like this:
>
> [x] Allow HTML content to be displayed -- CHECKED
>
> If a message body has both plain and HTML alternative renditions:
> (*) Display the HTML rendition -- SELECTED
> ( ) Display the plain rendition -- NOT SELECTED
>

> * * *
>
>You will see a different reply body from ? Good Guy ? in the
>HTML viewer.
>
>But if you find the different reply is no "better", then the other
>Agent factor which you may want to look at is to add an entry here:
>
> Tools >> Usenet Filters >> Filter >> New Kill Filter

Thanks Ralph. Kill-filed him already, I trust not prematurely, but will
methodically check out your suggested steps in the morning.

Terry

Re: Re: What's wrong here?

<l7r9cgp5t276dj989po0tfhos03ga1id1g@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2536&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2536

From: dera...@invalid.net
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Re: What's wrong here?
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 13:21:50 -0400
 by: dera...@invalid.net - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 17:21 UTC

Sometime recently you wrote:

>HTML email should be treated in the same manner as sexual acts
>between consenting adults. Only done in private places where willing
>parties, who have agreed beforehand, will see it!
+1
--
Derald
USDA Zone 9b