From: tim...@risingdove.com (Tim Slattery)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: taskbar doesn't hide
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 13:33:57 -0400
 by: Tim Slattery - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 17:33 UTC

I use Zoom from time to time. When I tell it to go fullscreen, it uses
the ENTIRE screen, blotting out the Windows taskbar. That's exactly
what I want. Recently Windows started showing its taskbar over the
bottom of the Zoom "fullscreen" display. That means that Zoom's
toolbar does not show, so I can't do things like muting or unmuting
myself, chatting, etc, etc.

For the time being, I'm avoiding fullscreen and just stretching the
Zoom window as much as I can. avoiding the Windows taskbar. But I'd
like to recover the proper function. What can I do?

--
Tim Slattery
tim <at> risingdove <dot> com

Re: taskbar doesn't hide

<u9rore$1ijua$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2528&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2528

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: taskbar doesn't hide
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 14:32:13 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 18:32 UTC

On 7/26/2023 1:33 PM, Tim Slattery wrote:
> I use Zoom from time to time. When I tell it to go fullscreen, it uses
> the ENTIRE screen, blotting out the Windows taskbar. That's exactly
> what I want. Recently Windows started showing its taskbar over the
> bottom of the Zoom "fullscreen" display. That means that Zoom's
> toolbar does not show, so I can't do things like muting or unmuting
> myself, chatting, etc, etc.
>
> For the time being, I'm avoiding fullscreen and just stretching the
> Zoom window as much as I can. avoiding the Windows taskbar. But I'd
> like to recover the proper function. What can I do?

Windows has a Taskbar setting that causes the Taskbar to
scroll down out of the way, when not being used. This is similar to
how it used to work on my Mac G4.

Personalize : Taskbar : Taskbar behaviors

|X| Automatically hide the taskbar

Zoom have probably been told about the problem.

https://community.zoom.com/t5/Meetings/Zoom-goes-behind-the-Windows-task-bar-when-going-fullscreen-when/m-p/26616

At one time, moving the taskbar to the side would have
been an option, but that may have been removed around
the same time they messed up my half-height taskbar.

Paul

Re: taskbar doesn't hide

<bkljc1zaikzz$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2529&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2529

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 17:22:17 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 22:22 UTC

Tim Slattery <tim@risingdove.com> wrote:

> I use Zoom from time to time. When I tell it to go fullscreen, it uses
> the ENTIRE screen, blotting out the Windows taskbar. That's exactly
> what I want. Recently Windows started showing its taskbar over the
> bottom of the Zoom "fullscreen" display. That means that Zoom's
> toolbar does not show, so I can't do things like muting or unmuting
> myself, chatting, etc, etc.
>
> For the time being, I'm avoiding fullscreen and just stretching the
> Zoom window as much as I can. avoiding the Windows taskbar. But I'd
> like to recover the proper function. What can I do?

You don't need to stretch the window size. Instead just maximize it.
Maximize does not hide the taskbar. Fullscreen should obliterate the
taskbar, but not all programs support fullscreen mode. For example, I
can maximize Firefox's window, or I can press F11 to fullscreen its
window. Maximize enlarges the window, but not over the taskbar.
Fullscreen hides everything on the screen, including the taskbar.

Unless Zoom is doing something unusual, double-clicking the titlebar of
a program's window will maximize it, not fullscreen it. For the Zoom
app, looks like you use the Meeting -> Enter Fullscreen menu, or the F
key shortcut. Just how are YOU changing Zoom's window to fullscreen?

Do you have the Windows Taskbar configured to auto-hide?

Re: taskbar doesn't hide

<tjl7cit9nska6tacc6bn635c5lf5hs3lt4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2538&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2538

From: tim...@risingdove.com (Tim Slattery)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 10:58:09 -0400
 by: Tim Slattery - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 14:58 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 7/26/2023 1:33 PM, Tim Slattery wrote:
>> I use Zoom from time to time. When I tell it to go fullscreen, it uses
>> the ENTIRE screen, blotting out the Windows taskbar. That's exactly
>> what I want. Recently Windows started showing its taskbar over the
>> bottom of the Zoom "fullscreen" display. That means that Zoom's
>> toolbar does not show, so I can't do things like muting or unmuting
>> myself, chatting, etc, etc.

>Windows has a Taskbar setting that causes the Taskbar to
>scroll down out of the way, when not being used. This is similar to
>how it used to work on my Mac G4.
>
> Personalize : Taskbar : Taskbar behaviors
>
> |X| Automatically hide the taskbar

I'm aware of that. Zoom has been going fullscreen, hiding the Windows
taskbar, for years without that setting being activated.

>Zoom have probably been told about the problem.
>
>https://community.zoom.com/t5/Meetings/Zoom-goes-behind-the-Windows-task-bar-when-going-fullscreen-when/m-p/26616

Hmm...that post is dated December 2021. It's worked properly for me up
til just a couple of weeks ago.

--
Tim Slattery
tim <at> risingdove <dot> com