Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 09:45:52 -0800 (PST)
Subject: The Problem With Our Economy: Representation Or Competing Interests?
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 17:45 UTC

Hi everyone,

In this political article, student writer Chloe Sparwath writes:

" ... It is because the mainstream liberal mindset in 2021 picks and chooses which groups they deem as being oppressed or being worthy of support. This is a result of the theory of intersectionality and its influence on the modern social justice movement.

The ideology of intersectionality is essentially this: the more minority classifications one belongs to – such as being a member of the LGBTQ+ community or being an ethnic or racial minority – the more oppressed that person is."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/opinion-rise-antisemitism-reveals-lefts-110101898.html

The article overall is worth a read--it is by a conservative woman whom I believe to be rightly opposing anti-Semitism and incorrectly identifying the true problem with modern American liberalism.

To map this to my usual context of professionalism, since I'm mainly focused on that, Sparwath essentially argues that, in my words, competing "boolean allegiance formulas"--along the lines of, in a professional context, "Hi, I'm either a female math major with a minor in French and 2 years of experience in the cosmetics industry, or a 25-year-old CS major and former accountant with either a passionate interest in chemistry or an uncanny talent for Broadway-style singing, and therefore I'm more entitled to and will receive..."--are the root cause of problems in our society. To Sparwath, the "badges" of skill possession or deficiency (or minority-hood, politically) give their wearers gifts and enhanced access, and these many complicated "flags" of sorts--the "boolean citizenship/skills formulas"--are what's wrong in our society.

This is certainly thought-provoking to me and certainly absurd. An insistence upon not listing strengths and weaknesses of a job candidate on one's resume or on a hypothetical "political resume" that might, if constructed about a person, list strengths and weaknesses/vulnerabilities of a politically involved citizen, is surely a complicated distraction from the real issue in play: A hauntingly universal lack of ethical corporate (and political) leadership in most US firms (and political organizations), a lack of accountability for leaders who attack members of other groups while breaking the rules instead of a system that favors leaders who compete with and fight each other (instead of rank-and-file represented group members) in the appropriate manner, and the failure of our society as a whole to suppress what might simply be described as "good ideas" from bubbling to the top.

To use another computer science and genetic algorithms metaphor, the "fitness function" of ideas in our society--the mathematical representation of what ideas (and perhaps even professional workers in our economy) are deemed fit to reproduce ("crossover") in a sense and become influential or perhaps compete in other ways--has been very corrupted by forces and people that will not release their grips on the logistics of innovation and true competition in our society. Instead, power hungry maniacs who insist upon "my way or the highway" politics without any evidence to support the idea that "the maniacs' way" is good or effective at all have absorbed or contained most of the valuable resources in our society, thereby very badly crippling our society, basically since 2016 (and it's still continuing).

Indeed, intersectionality sounds like an interesting concept, but it has nothing to do with the problems in our society. Supplying extra help to the very politically or special-needs-wise needy is a great idea, not a societal problem. It is the aggressive destruction of accountability mechanisms that secure our system's integrity and idea/worker fitness evaluations, led in particular by former US President George W. Bush, that has driven our economy and our nation closer to a state of near ruination.

-Philip White (philipjwhite@yahoo.com)

Re: The Problem With Our Economy: Representation Or Competing Interests?

<59297729-8063-4670-9ddf-a0b4ecf8cbacn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=25376&group=comp.theory#25376

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 09:51:47 -0800 (PST)
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 17:51 UTC

On Monday, January 3, 2022 at 12:45:54 PM UTC-5, B.H. wrote:
> [...]
>
> Indeed, intersectionality sounds like an interesting concept, but it has nothing to do with the problems in our society. Supplying extra help to the very politically or special-needs-wise needy is a great idea, not a societal problem. It is the aggressive destruction of accountability mechanisms that secure our system's integrity and idea/worker fitness evaluations, led in particular by former US President George W. Bush, that has driven our economy and our nation closer to a state of near ruination.

This part of a sentence...

and the failure of our society as a whole to suppress what might simply be described as "good ideas" from bubbling to the top.

....should read:

and the failure of our society as a whole to STOP EFFORTS TO suppress what might simply be described as "good ideas" from bubbling to the top.