From: jason_wa...@ieee.org (jason_warren@ieee.org)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Volume slider beep
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 18:16:15 -0400
 by: jason_warren@ieee.or - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 22:16 UTC

When I open the audio volume slider that resides next
to the taskbar and move it there's a beep that is
annoying. Any way to disable that?

Re: Volume slider beep

<ua2506$2hsoo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2544&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2544

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Volume slider beep
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 00:36:22 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 04:36 UTC

On 7/28/2023 6:16 PM, jason_warren@ieee.org wrote:
> When I open the audio volume slider that resides next
> to the taskbar and move it there's a beep that is
> annoying. Any way to disable that?

There is a claim you can use the mouse wheel, to set volume.
Some keyboards also have volume controls. My cheap $25 desktop keyboard,
it has five multimedia buttons that don't need drivers, and
"Volume-" and "Volume+" are in the upper right corner of the keyboard.
When I press those, a *different* slider bar appears in the bottom middle
of the screen.

On laptops, there may be keys as well for this (overlay on Fkeys).

"Disable the Volume Slider "Ding" Sound in Windows 10 - YouTube"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnJLKL7Cr74

You can modify the Windows sounds and save as a second set. And
that would allow reversing the changes later.

Any time a "raunchy beep" comes out of a PC, that means the
normal audio channel is not working, and the "BIOS beep" or a similar
noise, comes from the speakers instead of a .wav sound file. When
you say "beep", it should be a more melodious sound and not a
mechanical square wave tone kind of beep.

The audio chip has a "PC Beep" input on the side, expressly for
causing the emergency beep sound, to come out of the regular speakers.
This can be used by a manufacturer, to avoid having to include a
piezo beeper at startup.

Paul

Re: Volume slider beep

<6edacit4lkqfaobsluibm4mok2atartvi3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2547&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2547

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 08:56:43 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 15:56 UTC

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 00:36:22 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>On 7/28/2023 6:16 PM, jason_warren@ieee.org wrote:
>> When I open the audio volume slider that resides next
>> to the taskbar and move it there's a beep that is
>> annoying. Any way to disable that?
>>

>There is a claim you can use the mouse wheel, to set volume.
>Some keyboards also have volume controls. My cheap $25 desktop keyboard,
>it has five multimedia buttons that don't need drivers, and
>"Volume-" and "Volume+" are in the upper right corner of the keyboard.
>When I press those, a *different* slider bar appears in the bottom middle
>of the screen.

My $25 keyboard does much the same. In fact I chose that keyboard
largely because of that feature.

Re: Volume slider beep

<MPG.3f2f23318fc2a4e3990172@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2548&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2548

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:23:33 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 21:23 UTC

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 08:56:43 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 00:36:22 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >On 7/28/2023 6:16 PM, jason_warren@ieee.org wrote:
> >> When I open the audio volume slider that resides next
> >> to the taskbar and move it there's a beep that is
> >> annoying. Any way to disable that?
> >>

> >There is a claim you can use the mouse wheel, to set volume.
> >Some keyboards also have volume controls. My cheap $25 desktop keyboard,
> >it has five multimedia buttons that don't need drivers, and
> >"Volume-" and "Volume+" are in the upper right corner of the keyboard.
> >When I press those, a *different* slider bar appears in the bottom middle
> >of the screen.
>
> My $25 keyboard does much the same. In fact I chose that keyboard
> largely because of that feature.

I think it's pretty standard even on low-end keyboards
these days. I bought a Magegee mechanical keyboard last
November for about $30, and it has that.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA
https://BrownMath.com/

Re: Volume slider beep

<ua428n$2ne40$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2549&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2549

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 18:01:59 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:01 UTC

On 7/29/2023 5:23 PM, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 08:56:43 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 00:36:22 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> There is a claim you can use the mouse wheel, to set volume.
>>> Some keyboards also have volume controls. My cheap $25 desktop keyboard,
>>> it has five multimedia buttons that don't need drivers, and
>>> "Volume-" and "Volume+" are in the upper right corner of the keyboard.
>>> When I press those, a *different* slider bar appears in the bottom middle
>>> of the screen.
>>
>> My $25 keyboard does much the same. In fact I chose that keyboard
>> largely because of that feature.
>
> I think it's pretty standard even on low-end keyboards
> these days. I bought a Magegee mechanical keyboard last
> November for about $30, and it has that.

free from NirSoft <https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/volumouse.html>
adj with Mouse wheel + <alt>

Re: Volume slider beep

<ayv32igkuj21.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2550&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2550

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 20:49:02 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 01:49 UTC

"jason_warren@ieee.org" <jason_warren@ieee.org> wrote:

> When I open the audio volume slider that resides next
> to the taskbar and move it there's a beep that is
> annoying. Any way to disable that?

If it is the Windows volume control, and in Windows 10 (probably the
same in Windows 11), moving its volume slider does not generate a beep
until I /release/ the mouse button (i.e., stop dragging the slider).
That's been a behavior of that volume control since probably Windows 7,
or maybe earlier.

Is the beep you hear occur when you finish moving the slider, or as you
are moving the slider? If beeping is heard while moving the slider, are
you using the Windows volume control, or some tray icon and tool that
got installed as ancilliary software with whatever mouse you are using?
For example, at one I had tray icons for both the Windows volume
control, and for the Realtek audio control.