"Morality is one thing. Ratings are everything." -- A Network 23 executive on "Max Headroom"

computers / alt.online-service.comcast / Re: XiD-C Blue Light Not On

SubjectAuthor
* XiD-C Blue Light Not OnCuppy
+- Re: XiD-C Blue Light Not OnBill
+* Re: XiD-C Blue Light Not OnRetirednoguilt
|+- Re: XiD-C Blue Light Not OnCuppy
|`- Re: XiD-C Blue Light Not OnCuppy
+- Re: XiD-C Blue Light Not OnJ 0'Biden
`* Re: XiD-C Blue Light Not OnCuppy
 `- Re: XiD-C Blue Light Not OnRetirednoguilt

1
XiD-C Blue Light Not On

<sg10as$de9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=249&group=alt.online-service.comcast#249

From: Cup...@nospam.invalid
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: XiD-C Blue Light Not On
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 13:27:04 -0700
 by: Cup...@nospam.invalid - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 20:27 UTC

I had two XiD-P boxes. Both had a blue light that was constantly on,
and both worked just fine.

One of the boxes went out and it was replaced with an XiD-C box. This
box works fine, but once the box was connected successfully, and the
green blinking light went off, there's no light at all. Powering the
box on or off doesn't help. There's no way to tell if the box is on or
off other than to turn the TV on, and see a picture, or no signal message.

Should I take the box back, or will that probably not help? (The box is
a used on, as there are scratches on it.)

Re: XiD-C Blue Light Not On

<kmd8igh567m5j3bto76l0hj3sf89bnq5rd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=250&group=alt.online-service.comcast#250

From: non...@none.invalid (Bill)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Re: XiD-C Blue Light Not On
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 19:03:31 -0500
 by: Bill - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 00:03 UTC

On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 13:27:04 -0700, Cuppy@nospam.invalid wrote:

>I had two XiD-P boxes. Both had a blue light that was constantly on,
>and both worked just fine.
>
>One of the boxes went out and it was replaced with an XiD-C box. This
>box works fine, but once the box was connected successfully, and the
>green blinking light went off, there's no light at all. Powering the
>box on or off doesn't help. There's no way to tell if the box is on or
>off other than to turn the TV on, and see a picture, or no signal message.
>
>Should I take the box back, or will that probably not help? (The box is
>a used on, as there are scratches on it.)

If it was me, I'd ignore the situation. It doesn't actually sound like it's
a problem. In my experience, cable boxes of all types through the years are
essentially 'ON' all the time, even when you think you've turned them off.

Note that I have no direct experience with the type of box that you have,
so I'm speaking generally.

--
Bill

Re: XiD-C Blue Light Not On

<sg33bc$shu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=251&group=alt.online-service.comcast#251

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 11:30:51 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 15:30 UTC

On 8/23/2021 4:27 PM, Cuppy@nospam.invalid wrote:
> I had two XiD-P boxes.  Both had a blue light that was constantly on,
> and both worked just fine.
>
> One of the boxes went out and it was replaced with an XiD-C box.  This
> box works fine, but once the box was connected successfully, and the
> green blinking light went off, there's no light at all.  Powering the
> box on or off doesn't help.  There's no way to tell if the box is on or
> off other than to turn the TV on, and see a picture, or no signal message.
>
> Should I take the box back, or will that probably not help?  (The box is
> a used on, as there are scratches on it.)

I don't have the same model xfinity box as you, but each box I've ever
had has a power save option that puts the box to sleep after 4 hrs. of
no input from the user. Additionally, the boxes can be put to sleep on
demand either via choices in the settings menu, or by the command "sleep
now" followed by a right cursor button press and then an OK button press
on the remote. With the boxes I've had and have at present, when the
box is not sleeping, the light is always on, when it is asleep, the
light is off. However, the behavior of the light may be different with
your model. As I always manually put my box to sleep when I'm finished
watching TV, it wouldn't matter to me if the light works or not.
However, you can try a little experiment in case your light indicates
whether or not your power save option has been selected rather than if
the box is sleeping or not.

With the TV and box on, press the "Xfinity" button on the remote and
navigate to the wheel logo on the far right, then press OK. Navigate
down to "device settings" and press OK. Navigate down to "power
preferences" and press OK. Navigate down and if there's a power save
option, note whether it is "on" or "off" That can be cycled by repeated
pressing the OK button. Note if it affects whether your box's light
comes on or stays off. Then, note that you can navigate further down to
the "sleep now" setting. Exit completely out of the xfinity button
choices so that your screen only displays the channel you're watching.
Press the microphone button, say "sleep now" release the microphone
button and see what appears on your screen. Note that as I said above,
you can put the box to sleep by pressing first the right arrow button
and then the OK button. When the screen goes blank, turn off the TV
either with the TV's remote or with the TV button on the remote. Do NOT
press the all power button to turn off the TV after first putting the
box to sleep. It will turn off the TV but it will also turn the box
back on. Unless your light works, you won't realize that.

Hope this helps. If the light seems bad, your choice to swap out the
box again. However, a faulty light doesn't affect any other function of
the box.

Re: XiD-C Blue Light Not On

<F-qdnYOcubyfsbv8nZ2dnUU7-SXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=252&group=alt.online-service.comcast#252

Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
From: j.obi...@C0MCAST.C0M (J 0'Biden)
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 07:39:46 -0400
 by: J 0'Biden - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 11:39 UTC

On 8/23/21 4:27 PM, Cuppy@nospam.invalid wrote:
> I had two XiD-P boxes.  Both had a blue light that was constantly on, and both worked just fine.
>
> One of the boxes went out and it was replaced with an XiD-C box. This box works fine, but once the box was connected successfully, and the green blinking light went off, there's no light at
> all. Powering the box on or off doesn't help.  There's no way to tell if the box is on or off other than to turn the TV on, and see a picture, or no signal message.
>
> Should I take the box back, or will that probably not help?  (The box is a used on, as there are scratches on it.)

Years ago I measured the current draw on my cable box (not XiD-P).  IIRC, it was 60 watts on and 59 watts off.

Re: XiD-C Blue Light Not On

<sg5ubk$u7i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=253&group=alt.online-service.comcast#253

From: Cup...@nospam.invalid
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 10:23:56 -0700
 by: Cup...@nospam.invalid - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 17:23 UTC

On 8/24/2021 8:30 AM, Retirednoguilt wrote:
> On 8/23/2021 4:27 PM, Cuppy@nospam.invalid wrote:
>> I had two XiD-P boxes.  Both had a blue light that was constantly on,
>> and both worked just fine.
>>
>> One of the boxes went out and it was replaced with an XiD-C box.  This
>> box works fine, but once the box was connected successfully, and the
>> green blinking light went off, there's no light at all.  Powering the
>> box on or off doesn't help.  There's no way to tell if the box is on
>> or off other than to turn the TV on, and see a picture, or no signal
>> message.
>>
>> Should I take the box back, or will that probably not help?  (The box
>> is a used on, as there are scratches on it.)
>

> I don't have the same model xfinity box as you, but each box I've ever
> had has a power save option that puts the box to sleep after 4 hrs. of
> no input from the user.  Additionally, the boxes can be put to sleep on
> demand either via choices in the settings menu, or by the command "sleep
> now" followed by a right cursor button press and then an OK button press
> on the remote.  With the boxes I've had and have at present, when the
> box is not sleeping, the light is always on, when it is asleep, the
> light is off.  However, the behavior of the light may be different with
> your model. As I always manually put my box to sleep when I'm finished
> watching TV, it wouldn't matter to me if the light works or not.
> However, you can try a little experiment in case your light indicates
> whether or not your power save option has been selected rather than if
> the box is sleeping or not.
>
> With the TV and box on, press the "Xfinity" button on the remote and
> navigate to the wheel logo on the far right, then press OK.  Navigate
> down to "device settings" and press OK.  Navigate down to "power
> preferences" and press OK.  Navigate down and if there's a power save
> option, note whether it is "on" or "off"  That can be cycled by repeated
> pressing the OK button.  Note if it affects whether your box's light
> comes on or stays off.  Then, note that you can navigate further down to
> the "sleep now" setting.  Exit completely out of the xfinity button
> choices so that your screen only displays the channel you're watching.
> Press the microphone button, say "sleep now" release the microphone
> button and see what appears on your screen.  Note that as I said above,
> you can put the box to sleep by pressing first the right arrow button
> and then the OK button.  When the screen goes blank, turn off the TV
> either with the TV's remote or with the TV button on the remote.  Do NOT
> press the all power button to turn off the TV after first putting the
> box to sleep.  It will turn off the TV but it will also turn the box
> back on.  Unless your light works, you won't realize that.
>
> Hope this helps.  If the light seems bad, your choice to swap out the
> box again.  However, a faulty light doesn't affect any other function of
> the box.

I haven't had time to try your extensive suggestions, yet. I will try
today. I am familiar with the Xfinity remote menu, but didn't know
about the sleep function.

Thanks.

Re: XiD-C Blue Light Not On

<sg6dkv$551$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=254&group=alt.online-service.comcast#254

From: Cup...@nospam.invalid
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 14:44:54 -0700
 by: Cup...@nospam.invalid - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 21:44 UTC

> [...]
> the "sleep now" setting.  Exit completely out of the xfinity button
> choices so that your screen only displays the channel you're watching.
> Press the microphone button, say "sleep now" release the microphone
> button and see what appears on your screen.  Note that as I said above,
> you can put the box to sleep by pressing first the right arrow button
> and then the OK button.  When the screen goes blank, turn off the TV
> either with the TV's remote or with the TV button on the remote.  Do NOT
> press the all power button to turn off the TV after first putting the
> box to sleep.  It will turn off the TV but it will also turn the box
> back on.  Unless your light works, you won't realize that.
>
> Hope this helps.  If the light seems bad, your choice to swap out the
> box again.  However, a faulty light doesn't affect any other function of

Bottom line...looks like the blue light is broken.

I followed your directions and found that the power saver option was
indeed 'off'. Turning it on or off had no effect on the blue light.
Also, the 'sleep now' option works exactly as you described.

Re: XiD-C Blue Light Not On

<sg6e13$dkt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=255&group=alt.online-service.comcast#255

From: Cup...@nospam.invalid
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 14:51:20 -0700
 by: Cup...@nospam.invalid - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 21:51 UTC

On 8/23/2021 1:27 PM, Cuppy@nospam.invalid wrote:
> I had two XiD-P boxes.  Both had a blue light that was constantly on,
> and both worked just fine.
>
> One of the boxes went out and it was replaced with an XiD-C box.  This
> box works fine, but once the box was connected successfully, and the
> green blinking light went off, there's no light at all.  Powering the
> box on or off doesn't help.  There's no way to tell if the box is on or
> off other than to turn the TV on, and see a picture, or no signal message.
>
> Should I take the box back, or will that probably not help?  (The box is
> a used on, as there are scratches on it.)

Here's a reply I got on the Xfinity forum. I made me laugh.

"It's a bummer to hear about the trouble with your cable box.
Typically when this happens, it is power-related, not necessarily a bad
box. However, it's absolutely possible that the box went bad. We'll want
to go over a few things first to ensure you don't waste your time
swapping a box that didn't need to be swapped. Can you see the entire
power cord from end to end? Sometimes there is a power adapter/brick
that sort of poses as an extension and sometimes that part of the power
cord can get disconnected and come undone. Otherwise, the next step
would be to try a different power source. If the power cord for the
cable box is going into an electrical outlet in the wall, move it to a
different electrical outlet in the wall or to a power strip. If the
power cord for the box is plugged into a power strip, let's try plugging
the cord into the electrical outlet in the wall. Any luck?"

The box is getting power, period.

Re: XiD-C Blue Light Not On

<59555e74-5397-a21b-0203-5c591b990995@fakeaddress.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=256&group=alt.online-service.comcast#256

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 09:33:21 -0400
Disposition-Notification-To: Retirednoguilt <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com>
 by: Retirednoguilt - Thu, 26 Aug 2021 13:33 UTC

On 8/25/2021 5:51 PM, Cuppy@nospam.invalid wrote:
> On 8/23/2021 1:27 PM, Cuppy@nospam.invalid wrote:
>> I had two XiD-P boxes.  Both had a blue light that was constantly on,
>> and both worked just fine.
>>
>> One of the boxes went out and it was replaced with an XiD-C box.  This
>> box works fine, but once the box was connected successfully, and the
>> green blinking light went off, there's no light at all.  Powering the
>> box on or off doesn't help.  There's no way to tell if the box is on
>> or off other than to turn the TV on, and see a picture, or no signal
>> message.
>>
>> Should I take the box back, or will that probably not help?  (The box
>> is a used on, as there are scratches on it.)
>
> Here's a reply I got on the Xfinity forum.  I made me laugh.
>
>  "It's a bummer to hear about the trouble with your cable box.
> Typically when this happens, it is power-related, not necessarily a bad
> box. However, it's absolutely possible that the box went bad. We'll want
> to go over a few things first to ensure you don't waste your time
> swapping a box that didn't need to be swapped. Can you see the entire
> power cord from end to end? Sometimes there is a power adapter/brick
> that sort of poses as an extension and sometimes that part of the power
> cord can get disconnected and come undone. Otherwise, the next step
> would be to try a different power source. If the power cord for the
> cable box is going into an electrical outlet in the wall, move it to a
> different electrical outlet in the wall or to a power strip. If the
> power cord for the box is plugged into a power strip, let's try plugging
> the cord into the electrical outlet in the wall. Any luck?"
>
> The box is getting power, period.

If you find it quite inconvenient not to have the blue light work, and
have a nearby xfinity store, just call them, explain that you've
carefully followed all of xfinitiy's troubleshooting advice and have
concluded that your box is bad. Ask them if they have an XiD-P or C box
in inventory that you can swap out if you come into the store. If they
do, just do it. If they don't, and a replacement needs to be shipped
from the warehouse, ask them to credit you for all the fees that you'll
otherwise incur. Most likely they will try to charge you both for
shipping and as well as a rental fee for having 2 boxes at once instead
of one until such time as you return the defective box and it's removed
by their system from your account.

I recently went through that exercise when I bought my first 4K TV and
found out that I could swap my HD-DVR box for a 4K-DVR box at no cost
and at no additional monthly rental charge. However, the 4K box was
unavailable at any xfinity store within about a 100 miles radius of my
home, and needed to be shipped from a warehouse. They informed me in
advance about the shipping charge and the double box rental charge.
They volunteered that they automatically credit the double box rental
charge when replacement boxes need to come from the warehouse but said
nothing about the shipping fee being credited. I complained that it was
not reasonable for xfinity to claim that they didn't charge for swapping
out an HD box for a 4K box and then charge the customer to accomplish
that swap. They immediately said they would ship the 4K box at no cost
to me. Bottom line, no shipping charge and double box rental charge
credited during the same billing period - so it ended up being
completely free (as advertised). However, you need to watch their every
move and speak up immediately if something doesn't seem right.