Parallel lines never meet, unless you bend one or both of them.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Finding my app, one of many on the phone

SubjectAuthor
* Finding my app, one of many on the phonemicky
+* Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phoneEd Cryer
|+* Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phonePierre Jelenc
||`* Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phoneEd Cryer
|| +* Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phoneCalum
|| |+- Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phoneEd Cryer
|| |`- Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phonePierre Jelenc
|| +- Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phonePierre Jelenc
|| `- Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phoneJava Jive
|`* Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phonemicky
| `- Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phoneEd Cryer
+* Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phoneandrew
|`* Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phoneAndy Burnelli
| `* Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phonemicky
|  `- Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phoneAndy Burnelli
`* Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phoneBob F
 `- Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phoneJoerg Lorenz

1
Finding my app, one of many on the phone

<k6vsrglvebdrccumethqoavr8u7da3big0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25501&group=comp.mobile.android#25501

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Finding my app, one of many on the phone
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 19:38:02 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 00:38 UTC

1) While my apps are not in any logical order, is there a way to find
the app I'm looking for? Some index app that will search the ones in
my phone, for example. I have always resisted adding new apps but I
still have over 100.

When I got the new phone, Android "thoughtfully" copied all my apps from
the old phone, but I don't think they are in the same order. Certainly
the 3 it didn't copy and I had to add later when I found them missing
are not in the same order. They were once in chronological order acc.
to install date, but now they're not even in that order ocmpletely and
it makes it even harder to find one.

2) Separate question:
I've been trying to come up with a good order, separating shopping,
finance, media (radio, video, phone?, email?), travel, utilities.

This is a problem because some apps fit into more than one category, and
maybe some fit into none!

Is there a good, maybe even easy way to sort these things and to reorder
them on the desktop? Even maybe a way that connects the phone to the
PC where all 100+ apps could be displayed at once and moved around like
icons on the Windows desktop? Or anything faster than solving Rubik's
Cube?

Any answer in the general direction will probably be helpful.

Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phone

<spn1k2$65p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25508&group=comp.mobile.android#25508

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phone
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 10:30:23 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 10:30 UTC

micky wrote:

> 1) While my apps are not in any logical order, is there a way to find
> the app I'm looking for? Some index app that will search the ones in
> my phone, for example. I have always resisted adding new apps but I
> still have over 100.
>
> When I got the new phone, Android "thoughtfully" copied all my apps from
> the old phone, but I don't think they are in the same order. Certainly
> the 3 it didn't copy and I had to add later when I found them missing
> are not in the same order. They were once in chronological order acc.
> to install date, but now they're not even in that order ocmpletely and
> it makes it even harder to find one.
>

> 2) Separate question:
> I've been trying to come up with a good order, separating shopping,
> finance, media (radio, video, phone?, email?), travel, utilities.
>
> This is a problem because some apps fit into more than one category, and
> maybe some fit into none!
>
> Is there a good, maybe even easy way to sort these things and to reorder
> them on the desktop? Even maybe a way that connects the phone to the
> PC where all 100+ apps could be displayed at once and moved around like
> icons on the Windows desktop? Or anything faster than solving Rubik's
> Cube?
>
> Any answer in the general direction will probably be helpful.

The Apps are listed alphabetically under Settings/ Apps/ Apps, but there
are better ways available.

With so many installed I'd group them in folders, and use Google
microphone with "open iPlayer" or "launch VLC".
Both these methods will work irrespective of what folders you put them in.

Incidentally, there are so many launch and search apps available with a
simple search for "android launch and search apps". Try Launchy first to
get an idea of things.

Ed

Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phone

<spn9op$1pn6p$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25511&group=comp.mobile.android#25511

From: and...@nospammingme.com (andrew)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 22:19:29 +0930
logging-data="1891545"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@mixmin.net"
 by: andrew - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 12:49 UTC

Libor Striz wrote:

> I just swipe up from bottom.
> It lists all applications and at the top is the application search
> field.

That will show almost all the apps.
There is though the concept of hidden apps.
And then there are hundreds of 'packages' that are also installed.

What the OP needs is a good app manager app.
This has been discussed in the past and nothing has changed since.

Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phone

<spo3db$c4o$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25530&group=comp.mobile.android#25530

From: rcp...@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 20:07:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Pierre Jelenc - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 20:07 UTC

In article <spn1k2$65p$1@dont-email.me>,
Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

>The Apps are listed alphabetically under Settings/ Apps/ Apps,

Is there a master list of what these apps do and which ones can be safely
discarded (and how does one uninstall them)? For instance I see something
called "Google", weighing in at 620MB; what on earth is that, it can't be
just a front end for a search input field, can it? And anyway I never use
Google for searches.

Thanks,

Pierre
--
Pierre Jelenc
The Gigometer www.gigometer.com

Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phone

<8b7vrghub19o4jq618vbpb0mkllcq7pn0v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25531&group=comp.mobile.android#25531

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 16:08:38 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 21:08 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 19 Dec 2021 10:30:23 +0000, Ed Cryer
<ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>>
>> 1) While my apps are not in any logical order, is there a way to find
>> the app I'm looking for? Some index app that will search the ones in
>> my phone, for example. I have always resisted adding new apps but I
>> still have over 100.
>>
>> When I got the new phone, Android "thoughtfully" copied all my apps from
>> the old phone, but I don't think they are in the same order. Certainly
>> the 3 it didn't copy and I had to add later when I found them missing
>> are not in the same order. They were once in chronological order acc.
>> to install date, but now they're not even in that order ocmpletely and
>> it makes it even harder to find one.
>>

>> 2) Separate question:
>> I've been trying to come up with a good order, separating shopping,
>> finance, media (radio, video, phone?, email?), travel, utilities.
>>
>> This is a problem because some apps fit into more than one category, and
>> maybe some fit into none!
>>
>> Is there a good, maybe even easy way to sort these things and to reorder
>> them on the desktop? Even maybe a way that connects the phone to the
>> PC where all 100+ apps could be displayed at once and moved around like
>> icons on the Windows desktop? Or anything faster than solving Rubik's
>> Cube?
>>
>> Any answer in the general direction will probably be helpful.
>
>The Apps are listed alphabetically under Settings/ Apps/ Apps, but there
>are better ways available.
>
>With so many installed I'd group them in folders, and use Google
>microphone with "open iPlayer" or "launch VLC".

I'm still working on the other suggestions from each of you, but this
one was easy to try and by golly it worked. And quickly too. Not so
good at opening groups. Is that what groups of them in one icon are
called? Like google and tools and games.

>Both these methods will work irrespective of what folders you put them in.
>
>Incidentally, there are so many launch and search apps available with a
>simple search for "android launch and search apps". Try Launchy first to
>get an idea of things.
>
>Ed

Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phone

<sppqe4$rhg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25552&group=comp.mobile.android#25552

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 11:45:51 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 11:45 UTC

micky wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 19 Dec 2021 10:30:23 +0000, Ed Cryer
> <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>
>> micky wrote:
>>>
>>> 1) While my apps are not in any logical order, is there a way to find
>>> the app I'm looking for? Some index app that will search the ones in
>>> my phone, for example. I have always resisted adding new apps but I
>>> still have over 100.
>>>
>>> When I got the new phone, Android "thoughtfully" copied all my apps from
>>> the old phone, but I don't think they are in the same order. Certainly
>>> the 3 it didn't copy and I had to add later when I found them missing
>>> are not in the same order. They were once in chronological order acc.
>>> to install date, but now they're not even in that order ocmpletely and
>>> it makes it even harder to find one.
>>>

>>> 2) Separate question:
>>> I've been trying to come up with a good order, separating shopping,
>>> finance, media (radio, video, phone?, email?), travel, utilities.
>>>
>>> This is a problem because some apps fit into more than one category, and
>>> maybe some fit into none!
>>>
>>> Is there a good, maybe even easy way to sort these things and to reorder
>>> them on the desktop? Even maybe a way that connects the phone to the
>>> PC where all 100+ apps could be displayed at once and moved around like
>>> icons on the Windows desktop? Or anything faster than solving Rubik's
>>> Cube?
>>>
>>> Any answer in the general direction will probably be helpful.
>>
>> The Apps are listed alphabetically under Settings/ Apps/ Apps, but there
>> are better ways available.
>>
>> With so many installed I'd group them in folders, and use Google
>> microphone with "open iPlayer" or "launch VLC".
>
> I'm still working on the other suggestions from each of you, but this
> one was easy to try and by golly it worked. And quickly too. Not so
> good at opening groups. Is that what groups of them in one icon are
> called? Like google and tools and games.
>

>> Both these methods will work irrespective of what folders you put them in.
>>
>> Incidentally, there are so many launch and search apps available with a
>> simple search for "android launch and search apps". Try Launchy first to
>> get an idea of things.
>>
>> Ed

Names confuse, eh?
I call them "folders", probably incorrectly. You slide one icon over
another and it turns into a folder; after which you just slide whatever
you want in and out of it.

iPads use the same method.

Ed

Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phone

<sppr14$vcd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25554&group=comp.mobile.android#25554

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 11:55:23 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 11:55 UTC

Pierre Jelenc wrote:
> In article <spn1k2$65p$1@dont-email.me>,
> Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>>
>> The Apps are listed alphabetically under Settings/ Apps/ Apps,
>
> Is there a master list of what these apps do and which ones can be safely
> discarded (and how does one uninstall them)? For instance I see something
> called "Google", weighing in at 620MB; what on earth is that, it can't be
> just a front end for a search input field, can it? And anyway I never use
> Google for searches.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pierre

That Google monster worries me as well. Every time it updates it takes
about three times as long as others do. A bloke once told me that what
it does is scour every corner of your phone and send it all home to Big G..
I don't believe that, but it still worries me.

Try List-My-Apps;
https://download.cnet.com/List-My-Apps/3000-2094_4-75999279.html
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Android_apps_by_Google

Ed

Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phone

<spq2a9$10rc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25556&group=comp.mobile.android#25556

From: com.gm...@nospam.scottishwildcat (Calum)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 14:00:41 +0000
 by: Calum - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 14:00 UTC

On 20/12/2021 11:55, Ed Cryer wrote:

> That Google monster worries me as well. Every time it updates it takes
> about three times as long as others do. A bloke once told me that what
> it does is scour every corner of your phone and send it all home to Big G..
> I don't believe that, but it still worries me.

If you open it, you'll see what it does. Its Play Store entry also gives
you a pretty good idea:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox&hl=en_IE&gl=US>

Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phone

<spqbjp$7aa$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25561&group=comp.mobile.android#25561

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 16:39:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 16:39 UTC

On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 22:19:29 +0930, andrew wrote:

> What the OP needs is a good app manager app.

I'm trying to help but I'm exasperated by this particular OP's questions.
> Is there a way to find the app I'm looking for?

If the OP doesn't use this app (or one like it), he's wasting our time.
*AppManager* by Muntashir Akon
<https://github.com/MuntashirAkon/AppManager>

_It will find all apps_, and, if desired, it will put an app icon back into
the app drawer app & onto his homescreen, so that the OP can easily see it.

Again I need to repeat if the OP doesn't try an app like that first,
then he's wasting our time (IMHO) because that's the answer to his question.

Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phone

<79g1sg157o8rra5vnj99ijp01dogql77b2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25562&group=comp.mobile.android#25562

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 12:53:39 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 17:53 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 20 Dec 2021 16:39:22 -0000 (UTC), Andy
Burnelli <spam@nospam.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 22:19:29 +0930, andrew wrote:
>
>> What the OP needs is a good app manager app.
>
>I'm trying to help but I'm exasperated by this particular OP's questions.
>> Is there a way to find the app I'm looking for?

There was more to the question, that explained it.

>If the OP doesn't use this app (or one like it), he's wasting our time.

How would I know about such things?

> *AppManager* by Muntashir Akon
> <https://github.com/MuntashirAkon/AppManager>

And this doesn't say what it does nor how to install it. And it sounds
like it fills up my "main page" with "as much information as possible"
meaning much more than I want because the only information I want is to
know where to tap to get the app I'm looking for. And I already have
no room on the home page for even one widget.

>_It will find all apps_, and, if desired, it will put an app icon back into
>the app drawer app & onto his homescreen, so that the OP can easily see it.
>
>Again I need to repeat if the OP doesn't try an app like that first,
>then he's wasting our time (IMHO) because that's the answer to his question.

Why didn't you just suggest this, which I've never heard of before,
instead of criticizing me for asking?

You get exasperated very easily.

Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phone

<spqkpd$9b7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25563&group=comp.mobile.android#25563

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 19:15:38 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 19:15 UTC

Calum wrote:
> On 20/12/2021 11:55, Ed Cryer wrote:
>
>> That Google monster worries me as well. Every time it updates it takes
>> about three times as long as others do. A bloke once told me that what
>> it does is scour every corner of your phone and send it all home to
>> Big G..
>> I don't believe that, but it still worries me.
>
> If you open it, you'll see what it does. Its Play Store entry also gives
> you a pretty good idea:
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox&hl=en_IE&gl=US>

Never trust what the devil says! It wants to consign you to hell, and
lies are one of its tools!

Ed

Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phone

<spqugv$ght$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25572&group=comp.mobile.android#25572

From: rcp...@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 22:02:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Pierre Jelenc - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 22:02 UTC

In article <spq2a9$10rc$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
Calum <com.gmail@nospam.scottishwildcat> wrote:
>On 20/12/2021 11:55, Ed Cryer wrote:
>
>> That Google monster worries me as well. Every time it updates it takes
>> about three times as long as others do. A bloke once told me that what
>> it does is scour every corner of your phone and send it all home to Big G..
>> I don't believe that, but it still worries me.
>
>If you open it, you'll see what it does.

Well, by default I am leery of opening unknown programs, especially
suspiciously bloated ones like that! Can I delete it, or will that cause
problems to other apps?

Pierre

--
Pierre Jelenc
The Gigometer www.gigometer.com
The NYC Beer Guide www.nycbeer.org

Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phone

<spqupj$ght$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25573&group=comp.mobile.android#25573

From: rcp...@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 22:06:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Pierre Jelenc - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 22:06 UTC

In article <sppr14$vcd$1@dont-email.me>,
Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>Pierre Jelenc wrote:
>> In article <spn1k2$65p$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> The Apps are listed alphabetically under Settings/ Apps/ Apps,
>>
>> Is there a master list of what these apps do and which ones can be safely
>> discarded (and how does one uninstall them)? For instance I see something
>> called "Google", weighing in at 620MB; what on earth is that, it can't be
>> just a front end for a search input field, can it? And anyway I never use
>> Google for searches.
>
>That Google monster worries me as well. Every time it updates it takes
>about three times as long as others do. A bloke once told me that what
>it does is scour every corner of your phone and send it all home to Big G..
>I don't believe that, but it still worries me.
>
>Try List-My-Apps;
>https://download.cnet.com/List-My-Apps/3000-2094_4-75999279.html
>and
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Android_apps_by_Google

Thanks.

Pierre
--
Pierre Jelenc
The Gigometer www.gigometer.com
The NYC Beer Guide www.nycbeer.org

Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phone

<spr1d7$rjb$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25574&group=comp.mobile.android#25574

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 22:51:18 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 22:51 UTC

On 20/12/2021 11:55, Ed Cryer wrote:

> That Google monster worries me as well. Every time it updates it takes
> about three times as long as others do. A bloke once told me that what
> it does is scour every corner of your phone and send it all home to Big G..

Very probably true.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phone

<sprj0i$qg8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25586&group=comp.mobile.android#25586

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 19:51:47 -0800
 by: Bob F - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 03:51 UTC

On 12/18/2021 4:38 PM, micky wrote:

> 1) While my apps are not in any logical order, is there a way to find
> the app I'm looking for? Some index app that will search the ones in
> my phone, for example. I have always resisted adding new apps but I
> still have over 100.
>
> When I got the new phone, Android "thoughtfully" copied all my apps from
> the old phone, but I don't think they are in the same order. Certainly
> the 3 it didn't copy and I had to add later when I found them missing
> are not in the same order. They were once in chronological order acc.
> to install date, but now they're not even in that order ocmpletely and
> it makes it even harder to find one.
>

> 2) Separate question:
> I've been trying to come up with a good order, separating shopping,
> finance, media (radio, video, phone?, email?), travel, utilities.
>
> This is a problem because some apps fit into more than one category, and
> maybe some fit into none!
>
> Is there a good, maybe even easy way to sort these things and to reorder
> them on the desktop? Even maybe a way that connects the phone to the
> PC where all 100+ apps could be displayed at once and moved around like
> icons on the Windows desktop? Or anything faster than solving Rubik's
> Cube?
>
> Any answer in the general direction will probably be helpful.

You sure have a lot of problems figuring out how to do anything for
yourself.

100 apps?????? what the hell for?

Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phone

<sps94f$ef4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25607&group=comp.mobile.android#25607

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 11:09:19 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 10:09 UTC

Am 21.12.21 um 04:51 schrieb Bob F:
> On 12/18/2021 4:38 PM, micky wrote:
>> Is there a good, maybe even easy way to sort these things and to reorder
>> them on the desktop? Even maybe a way that connects the phone to the
>> PC where all 100+ apps could be displayed at once and moved around like
>> icons on the Windows desktop? Or anything faster than solving Rubik's
>> Cube?
>>
>> Any answer in the general direction will probably be helpful.
>
> You sure have a lot of problems figuring out how to do anything for
> yourself.
>
> 100 apps?????? what the hell for?

If the cell phone is your raison d'ĂȘtre ...

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Finding my app, one of many on the phone

<spsbh7$1vac$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25608&group=comp.mobile.android#25608

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 10:50:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 10:50 UTC

On Mon, 20 Dec 2021 12:53:39 -0500, micky wrote:

>> <https://github.com/MuntashirAkon/AppManager>
>
> And this doesn't say what it does nor how to install it.

Why would you claim that the GitHub page doesn't have a link to the app?
That's a ridiculous claim, which is one reason why you exasperate me.

I try but it's hard to help you because you're so helpless.
If I give you a link to a web page, don't you think I looked before doing it?

The page has a blue link which says "Get it on F-Droid" which is a link to
<https://f-droid.org/packages/io.github.muntashirakon.AppManager/>

1. You download the APK using any web browser (PC or phone)
<https://f-droid.org/repo/io.github.muntashirakon.AppManager_397.apk>
2. Once the APK is on your phone, you click on it to install it

a. It will find all apps (as far as I know)
b. It can put an app icon on your desktop if it isn't there yet
c. And it will even show you all your hidden apps & packages

It does far more than that but that will solve your problem of finding apps.