"Trust me. I know what I'm doing." -- Sledge Hammer

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / OT: Post received in my Agent inbox - not in iPad Mail

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Post received in my Agent inbox - not in iPad MailTerry Pinnell
+- Re: OT: Post received in my Agent inbox - not in iPad MailDennis Lee Bieber
+- Re: OT: Post received in my Agent inbox - not in iPad MailArthur Conan Doyle
+- Re: OT: Post received in my Agent inbox - not in iPad MailLorenz
`* Re: OT: Post received in my Agent inbox - not in iPad MailRalph Fox
 +- Re: OT: Post received in my Agent inbox - not in iPad MailTerry Pinnell
 `* Re: OT: Post received in my Agent inbox - not in iPad MailTerry Pinnell
  `- Re: OT: Post received in my Agent inbox - not in iPad MailTerry Pinnell

1
OT: Post received in my Agent inbox - not in iPad Mail

<umugdg1kgd9a2gnvhtq9psf3eka12b4jvo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2558&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2558

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: OT: Post received in my Agent inbox - not in iPad Mail
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 15:10:43 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 14:10 UTC

I despair of ever fully grasping how email works!

Just noticed that an important email reply in my Agent Inbox this
morning does not also appear in the iOS Mail app on my iPad (or iPhone).
No trace anywhere, including spam/junk/whatever.

Where should I start looking for the cause please?

Terry

Re: OT: Post received in my Agent inbox - not in iPad Mail

<h8ahdg5ok6b3m8mq48hb4lu5dn70tfj8d4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2559&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2559

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 12:41:37 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 16:41 UTC

On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 15:10:43 +0100, Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid>
declaimed the following:

>I despair of ever fully grasping how email works!
>
>Just noticed that an important email reply in my Agent Inbox this
>morning does not also appear in the iOS Mail app on my iPad (or iPhone).
>No trace anywhere, including spam/junk/whatever.
>
>Where should I start looking for the cause please?

IMAP or POP3?

POP3 normal behavior is that messages on the server are deleted when
fetched unless the client is set for some multi-client mode -- like,
"delete from server when trashed", "delete from server after /n/-days".

Are the ipad/iphone using the same server configuration as Agent? (When
I had a Blackberry phone, the Blackberry mail server (not phone) had to be
configured with the login credentials of my actual email accounts. It then
periodically fetched (POP3) messages from my real server (not deleting
them).

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: OT: Post received in my Agent inbox - not in iPad Mail

<jdnhdg52glfrq7rt2j0dpr84aks751c5ta@None>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2560&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2560

From: don...@bother.com (Arthur Conan Doyle)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 15:22:20 -0500
 by: Arthur Conan Doyle - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 20:22 UTC

Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:

>I despair of ever fully grasping how email works!
>
>Just noticed that an important email reply in my Agent Inbox this
>morning does not also appear in the iOS Mail app on my iPad (or iPhone).
>No trace anywhere, including spam/junk/whatever.
>
>Where should I start looking for the cause please?

If your Agent inbox is configured as POP, in most cases the email will be
deleted when it is downloaded. If your client is configured to use IMAP, the
email will remain on the server where it can be viewed with other client.

--
Usenet: The world's first (and best) social network.

Re: OT: Post received in my Agent inbox - not in iPad Mail

<rclidg58vjtcug5g90rgtem38ucg5j03om@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2561&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2561

From: loren...@yahoo.com (Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 04:54:30 +0000
 by: Lorenz - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 04:54 UTC

Terry Pinnell wrote:

>I despair of ever fully grasping how email works!
>
>Just noticed that an important email reply in my Agent Inbox this
>morning does not also appear in the iOS Mail app on my iPad (or iPhone).
>No trace anywhere, including spam/junk/whatever.
>
>Where should I start looking for the cause please?

Tools/Servers and Accounts/Inbound Email Accounts/Leave Messages on
Server
--

Lorenz

Re: OT: Post received in my Agent inbox - not in iPad Mail

<5cqidg1t23d3va9j2u9hlg0eetroosgb1d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2562&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2562

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 18:23:52 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 06:23 UTC

On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 15:10:43 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> I despair of ever fully grasping how email works!
>
> Just noticed that an important email reply in my Agent Inbox this
> morning does not also appear in the iOS Mail app on my iPad (or iPhone).
> No trace anywhere, including spam/junk/whatever.
>
> Where should I start looking for the cause please?
>
> Terry

In lots of places. :-)

1. Does even one of your Agent email filters have a check-mark in
"do not leave on server" ?

screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=24_f9oh5b3m.gif>

2. What are your Agent server settings for:
* Leave messages on server
* Until retrieved at both of my sites

screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=24_se2xdzma.gif>

3. Some behaviour may depend on your email provider, whoever that is,
and whether your email server settings align with your provider's
recommendations -- including your provider's recommendations for
accessing emails from multiple devices.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: OT: Post received in my Agent inbox - not in iPad Mail

<jecodgtiflf5bpq6hrtpu8fieh503feivr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2575&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2575

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 09:57:46 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 08:57 UTC

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 15:10:43 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>> I despair of ever fully grasping how email works!
>>
>> Just noticed that an important email reply in my Agent Inbox this
>> morning does not also appear in the iOS Mail app on my iPad (or iPhone).
>> No trace anywhere, including spam/junk/whatever.
>>
>> Where should I start looking for the cause please?
>>
>> Terry
>

>In lots of places. :-)
>

> 1. Does even one of your Agent email filters have a check-mark in
> "do not leave on server" ?
>
> screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=24_f9oh5b3m.gif>
>

> 2. What are your Agent server settings for:
> * Leave messages on server
> * Until retrieved at both of my sites
>
> screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=24_se2xdzma.gif>
>

> 3. Some behaviour may depend on your email provider, whoever that is,
> and whether your email server settings align with your provider's
> recommendations -- including your provider's recommendations for
> accessing emails from multiple devices.

Many thanks for all those helpful replies, which I'm about to start
stepping through methodically.

Terry

Re: OT: Post received in my Agent inbox - not in iPad Mail

<3qoodg5b25qd80l12lsfp3foqamdrtni1p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2577&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2577

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 13:39:03 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 12:39 UTC

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 15:10:43 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>> I despair of ever fully grasping how email works!
>>
>> Just noticed that an important email reply in my Agent Inbox this
>> morning does not also appear in the iOS Mail app on my iPad (or iPhone).
>> No trace anywhere, including spam/junk/whatever.
>>
>> Where should I start looking for the cause please?
>>
>> Terry
>

>In lots of places. :-)
>

> 1. Does even one of your Agent email filters have a check-mark in
> "do not leave on server" ?
>
> screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=24_f9oh5b3m.gif>

All my kill filters do. But why would should deleted posts be set
otherwise?

> 2. What are your Agent server settings for:
> * Leave messages on server
> * Until retrieved at both of my sites
>
> screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=24_se2xdzma.gif>

Both my BT and Gmail accounts have the same settings for those:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dilwm8jwgkf8xo/LeaveMessages.jpg?raw=1

> 3. Some behaviour may depend on your email provider, whoever that is,
> and whether your email server settings align with your provider's
> recommendations -- including your provider's recommendations for
> accessing emails from multiple devices.

Terry

Re: OT: Post received in my Agent inbox - not in iPad Mail

<supodgli5mgihh6lcnhag2jqpu04uqoci0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2579&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2579

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 13:57:39 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 12:57 UTC

Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:

>Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 15:10:43 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>>
>>> I despair of ever fully grasping how email works!
>>>
>>> Just noticed that an important email reply in my Agent Inbox this
>>> morning does not also appear in the iOS Mail app on my iPad (or iPhone).
>>> No trace anywhere, including spam/junk/whatever.
>>>
>>> Where should I start looking for the cause please?
>>>
>>> Terry
>>

>>In lots of places. :-)
>>

>> 1. Does even one of your Agent email filters have a check-mark in
>> "do not leave on server" ?
>>
>> screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=24_f9oh5b3m.gif>
>
>All my kill filters do. But why would should deleted posts be set
>otherwise?
>

>> 2. What are your Agent server settings for:
>> * Leave messages on server
>> * Until retrieved at both of my sites
>>
>> screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=24_se2xdzma.gif>
>
>Both my BT and Gmail accounts have the same settings for those:
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dilwm8jwgkf8xo/LeaveMessages.jpg?raw=1
>

>> 3. Some behaviour may depend on your email provider, whoever that is,
>> and whether your email server settings align with your provider's
>> recommendations -- including your provider's recommendations for
>> accessing emails from multiple devices.
>>

>Terry

Sorry, I wasn't thinking; you obviously meant only Watch filters!

And yes, I DID have a Watch filter set to "Do not leave on server", but
it wasn't connected to the problem.

The filter that is set to move incoming mailing list posts to its own
folder is this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7fat0rmpx1nyn8/Email-OS-Filter.jpg?raw=1

Terry