"Life sucks, but it's better than the alternative." -- Peter da Silva

computers / news.software.nntp / Re: Questions on How to find Newsgroup Charters and RFDs

SubjectAuthor
* Questions on How to find Newsgroup Charters and RFDsHank Ross
+* Re: Questions on How to find Newsgroup Charters and RFDsRuss Allbery
|+* Re: Questions on How to find Newsgroup Charters and RFDsHank Ross
||`* Re: Questions on How to find Newsgroup Charters and RFDsRuss Allbery
|| `- Re: Questions on How to find Newsgroup Charters and RFDsJohn Levine
|`* Re: Questions on How to find Newsgroup Charters and RFDsbje
| +- Re: Questions on How to find Newsgroup Charters and RFDsAdam H. Kerman
| `- Re: Questions on How to find Newsgroup Charters and RFDsKerman the German
`- Re: Questions on How to find Newsgroup Charters and RFDsJason Evans

1
Questions on How to find Newsgroup Charters and RFDs

<sjtl2q$90g$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=250&group=news.software.nntp#250

From: hro...@no_spam.web (Hank Ross)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Questions on How to find Newsgroup Charters and RFDs
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 22:02:57 -0500
 by: Hank Ross - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 03:02 UTC

1. What sources have copies of charters and RFDs for newsgroups in the
'alt.' hierarchy? The charter is more important to me than the RFD.

2. Do any NNTP servers store these charter documents? If so, which ones?

3. If 'yes' to #2, what are the NNTP commands for requesting such
documents from a NNTP server?

Best case scenario I hope for: connect to a server via telnet / ssh and
request charter for relevant individual groups one at a time.

4. If 'no' to #2-3, are there any online resources with all the 'alt.'
charters?

Thank you in advance for your attention to these questions.

--

~ Hank Ross ~

Re: Questions on How to find Newsgroup Charters and RFDs

<8735p9efv5.fsf@hope.eyrie.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=251&group=news.software.nntp#251

From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2021 20:08:30 -0700
 by: Russ Allbery - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 03:08 UTC

Hank Ross <hross@no_spam.web> writes:

> 1. What sources have copies of charters and RFDs for newsgroups in the
> 'alt.' hierarchy? The charter is more important to me than the RFD.

There's no such thing for alt.* groups. You may be able to find some
original intent for the groups in their archived control messages at:

https://ftp.isc.org/usenet/control/alt

but frequently that's only the newsgroups line, and in some cases the
groups were created so long ago that not even that is archived.

alt.* is an unmanaged hierarchy in which anyone historically can create a
newsgroup, with no requirements for charters, RFDs, or anything of the
sort.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.

Re: Questions on How to find Newsgroup Charters and RFDs

<sjtml4$le1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=252&group=news.software.nntp#252

From: hro...@no_spam.web (Hank Ross)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 22:29:44 -0500
 by: Hank Ross - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 03:29 UTC

On 10/9/21 10:08 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Hank Ross <hross@no_spam.web> writes:
>
>> 1. What sources have copies of charters and RFDs for newsgroups in the
>> 'alt.' hierarchy? The charter is more important to me than the RFD.
>
> There's no such thing for alt.* groups. You may be able to find some
> original intent for the groups in their archived control messages at:
>
> https://ftp.isc.org/usenet/control/alt
>
> but frequently that's only the newsgroups line, and in some cases the
> groups were created so long ago that not even that is archived.
>
> alt.* is an unmanaged hierarchy in which anyone historically can create a
> newsgroup, with no requirements for charters, RFDs, or anything of the
> sort.

Understood. Thanks for the link.

This leads me to ask:

1. Are there any non-control file descriptions or equivalent blurbs
stored _anywhwere_ for 'alt.' hierarchies?

2. Do any NNTP servers have the control files archived? I've never run a
NNTP server so this is a black box to me.

--

~ Hank Ross ~

Re: Questions on How to find Newsgroup Charters and RFDs

<87tuhpcxcn.fsf@hope.eyrie.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=253&group=news.software.nntp#253

From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2021 21:33:44 -0700
 by: Russ Allbery - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 04:33 UTC

Hank Ross <hross@no_spam.web> writes:

> 1. Are there any non-control file descriptions or equivalent blurbs
> stored _anywhwere_ for 'alt.' hierarchies?

Not that I'm aware of.

> 2. Do any NNTP servers have the control files archived? I've never run a
> NNTP server so this is a black box to me.

There is almost certainly an NNTP server out there with a very long expire
for control, but I'm afraid I'm not the person who knows which one or how
to access it.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.

Re: Questions on How to find Newsgroup Charters and RFDs

<sjuk37$153$1@remote6hme0.ripco.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=254&group=news.software.nntp#254

From: bje...@ripco.com
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 11:51:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bje...@ripco.com - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 11:51 UTC

Russ Allbery <eagle@eyrie.org> wrote:

> alt.* is an unmanaged hierarchy in which anyone historically can create a
> newsgroup, with no requirements for charters, RFDs, or anything of the
> sort.

Be careful what you say Russ, comments like that could make Kerman to self
harm himself.

-bruce
bje@ripco.com

Re: Questions on How to find Newsgroup Charters and RFDs

<sjv51o$1lg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=255&group=news.software.nntp#255

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 16:40:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 16:40 UTC

bje@ripco.com wrote:

>Be careful what you say Russ, comments like that could make Kerman to self
>harm himself.

Gosh. Bruce really hurt my feelings. Sob.

Re: Questions on How to find Newsgroup Charters and RFDs

<sjvg80$1ga2$1@gal.iecc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=256&group=news.software.nntp#256

From: joh...@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 19:51:28 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
 by: John Levine - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 19:51 UTC

According to Russ Allbery <eagle@eyrie.org>:
>There is almost certainly an NNTP server out there with a very long expire
>for control, but I'm afraid I'm not the person who knows which one or how
>to access it.

Giganews says they have 17 years of history and I think in many cases they have more.

They charge but you can get a 14 day free trial and see what's in their control archive.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Re: Questions on How to find Newsgroup Charters and RFDs

<sjvs1p$s4b$1@theuse.news.theuse.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=257&group=news.software.nntp#257

From: jsev...@mailfence.com (Jason Evans)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 23:12:57 +0000
 by: Jason Evans - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 23:12 UTC

Hank Ross wrote:

> 1. What sources have copies of charters and RFDs for newsgroups in the
> 'alt.' hierarchy? The charter is more important to me than the RFD.

I wrote this a few months ago. I hope this helps.
https://www.big-8.org/wiki/How_to_find_a_charter

Re: Questions on How to find Newsgroup Charters and RFDs

<sk0mfo$13j7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=258&group=news.software.nntp#258

From: ker...@the.german (Kerman the German)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 01:45:11 -0500
 by: Kerman the German - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 06:45 UTC

On 10/10/21 6:51 AM, bje@ripco.com wrote:

> Be careful what you say Russ, comments like that could make Kerman to self
> harm himself.
>
> -bruce
> bje@ripco.com

Be careful what you say Bruce, Kerman the German is not amused. Kerman
the German will find some rule you violated with this statement then
paper cut your fingers off with it.

--

Kerman the German
Conquesti tu Usenetti, byotch