Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm,sci.electronics.repair
From: john_cra...@yahoo.com (John Crane)
Subject: Westwind Trantor Hard Disk for Osborne Computer
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 06:49:11 -0500
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!news.uzoreto.com!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed7.news.xs4all.nl!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc3.netnews.com!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!2a07:8080:119:fe::53.MISMATCH!news.thundernews.com!not-for-mail
 by: John Crane - Tue, 18 May 2021 11:49 UTC

Can anyone point me to documentation or schematics for this?
I have one in pristine condition, until last month when a capacitor blew...

Turns out these use the problematic Astec power supplies identical to
the ones used in the Osborne 01. There is a 0.1uF 250V polymer cap that
tends to blow. In fact, I've had 2 Osborne 01 machines that blew while
in service - smoke and all. I replaced the cap and now they work perfectly.

The Westwind, on the other hand, will not recognize the hard disk.
However the built-in ramdisk does work.

My fear is that when the cap blew, a voltage transient may have taken
out one or more of the large Shugart VLSI chips on the disk controller
board. These chips may be difficult to source these days.

-John