Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it.

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Re: Mailing list questions

SubjectAuthor
* Mailing list questionsTerry Pinnell
+* Re: Mailing list questionsRalph Fox
|`- Re: Mailing list questionsTerry Pinnell
`* Re: Mailing list questionsRalph Fox
 `- Re: Mailing list questionsTerry Pinnell

1
Mailing list questions

<lqjodg50t7ui58sqggg7a4rae97ajg8h50@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2576&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2576

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 12:08:19 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 11:08 UTC

I recently subscribed to a mailing list.
Two separate questions re same screenshot:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqsusij84wb9bjk/MailList-3.jpg?raw=1

1. My own replies to the thread shown, are not shown in Agent. I gather
this is because I used Gmail as recommended rather than my usual BT
account, and "Gmail accounts don't get emails echoed back to
themselves." Is that a common issue and what work around is recommended?

2. One of several flaws with this list is that it neither consolidates
threads under a single subject, nor assigns posts to the 'correct'
subject. Is the usual cause commonplace, namely that a poster replies
with a fresh subject heading?

Terry

Re: Mailing list questions

<6mqqdg5475te1dtnuck016ceget8q4t4jt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2580&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2580

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 19:15:15 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 07:15 UTC

On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 12:08:19 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> I recently subscribed to a mailing list.
> Two separate questions re same screenshot:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqsusij84wb9bjk/MailList-3.jpg?raw=1
>
> 1. My own replies to the thread shown, are not shown in Agent. I gather
> this is because I used Gmail as recommended rather than my usual BT
> account, and "Gmail accounts don't get emails echoed back to
> themselves." Is that a common issue and what work around is recommended?

1. That is Gmail's doing, and Gmail's standard behaviour.
See this from Google's support pages:
<https://support.google.com/a/answer/1703601?hl=en>

Gmail has been doing much the same for many years. See this page
from the web archives:
<https://web.archive.org/web/20140819234121/https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6588?hl=en>

You might try Google's suggested 'Resolution' on the page at
<https://support.google.com/a/answer/1703601?hl=en> to see if that
will work for you (although I suspect that might not work for an
email list which you are not the owner of).

You could look for the message in Sent Mail or All Mail, and manually
add it to your Inbox.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Ἀπόδοτε τὰ Καίσαρος Καίσαρι

<04sqdgpk4hho7agus2fj643un6bbb263op@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2581&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2581

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 21:11:15 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 09:11 UTC

On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 12:08:19 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> I recently subscribed to a mailing list.
> Two separate questions re same screenshot:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqsusij84wb9bjk/MailList-3.jpg?raw=1
>
> 1. [...]
>
> 2. One of several flaws with this list is that it neither consolidates
> threads under a single subject, nor assigns posts to the 'correct'
> subject. Is the usual cause commonplace, namely that a poster replies
> with a fresh subject heading?

2. The one subject heading difference which I see in your screen-shot is
that one lot has a "Re:" which is not at the beginning of the subject.

It looks, perhaps, as if your mailing list might want to have its list
name in square brackets in the subject.

a) If Adam Appleacre posts a message "Ford alternators" to the list,
the list sends it on to subscribers as "[ListName] Ford alternators".

b) If Bill Butterbread posts a reply "Re: [ListName] Ford alternators"
back to the list, it seems the list will sends it on with the same
subject "Re: [ListName] Ford alternators". Agent will see that as
the same subject as "[ListName] Ford alternators" in a).

c) If Charles Coffeecup posts a reply "Re: Ford alternators" to the list,
the list sends it to subscribers as "[ListName] Re: Ford alternators".
Agent will *not* see that as the same subject as in a) because the
"Re:" is not at the beginning.

Maybe Charles Coffeecup received a copy of the email directly from
Adam Appleacre, without the "[ListName]" at the beginning.

I am probably telling you something you already know, but...

*If* you have a check-mark in the setting "Start a new thread when a
follow-up subject changes", then you could try removing the check-mark
to see whether that makes an improvement. After removing the check-mark,
force Agent to recalculate the folder's threading by changing the
folder's sort order and changing it back again.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

"He draweth out the thred of his verbositie, finer then the staple of his argument."
-- Wm. Shakespeare, "Love's Labour's Lost", Act 5 scene 1.

<b47rdgtucl696oo096tb2pceiajapilsct@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2583&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2583

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 11:47:40 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 10:47 UTC

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 12:08:19 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>> I recently subscribed to a mailing list.
>> Two separate questions re same screenshot:
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqsusij84wb9bjk/MailList-3.jpg?raw=1
>>
>> 1. My own replies to the thread shown, are not shown in Agent. I gather
>> this is because I used Gmail as recommended rather than my usual BT
>> account, and "Gmail accounts don't get emails echoed back to
>> themselves." Is that a common issue and what work around is recommended?
>

>1. That is Gmail's doing, and Gmail's standard behaviour.
>See this from Google's support pages:
><https://support.google.com/a/answer/1703601?hl=en>
>
>Gmail has been doing much the same for many years. See this page
>from the web archives:
><https://web.archive.org/web/20140819234121/https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6588?hl=en>
>

>You might try Google's suggested 'Resolution' on the page at
><https://support.google.com/a/answer/1703601?hl=en> to see if that
>will work for you (although I suspect that might not work for an
>email list which you are not the owner of).
>
>You could look for the message in Sent Mail or All Mail, and manually
>add it to your Inbox.

Thanks Ralph. Looked at that resolution, but even after an extra coffee
I found it daunting. So I reckon I'll settle for the manual compromise.

Best wishes,

Terry

Re: Mailing list questions

<ga7rdgl68c7m10v2pevii634mm7kovdt0t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2584&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2584

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 11:57:13 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 10:57 UTC

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 12:08:19 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>> I recently subscribed to a mailing list.
>> Two separate questions re same screenshot:
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqsusij84wb9bjk/MailList-3.jpg?raw=1
>>
>> 1. [...]
>>
>> 2. One of several flaws with this list is that it neither consolidates
>> threads under a single subject, nor assigns posts to the 'correct'
>> subject. Is the usual cause commonplace, namely that a poster replies
>> with a fresh subject heading?
>

>2. The one subject heading difference which I see in your screen-shot is
>that one lot has a "Re:" which is not at the beginning of the subject.
>
>It looks, perhaps, as if your mailing list might want to have its list
>name in square brackets in the subject.
>
> a) If Adam Appleacre posts a message "Ford alternators" to the list,
> the list sends it on to subscribers as "[ListName] Ford alternators".
>
> b) If Bill Butterbread posts a reply "Re: [ListName] Ford alternators"
> back to the list, it seems the list will sends it on with the same
> subject "Re: [ListName] Ford alternators". Agent will see that as
> the same subject as "[ListName] Ford alternators" in a).
>
> c) If Charles Coffeecup posts a reply "Re: Ford alternators" to the list,
> the list sends it to subscribers as "[ListName] Re: Ford alternators".
> Agent will *not* see that as the same subject as in a) because the
> "Re:" is not at the beginning.
>
> Maybe Charles Coffeecup received a copy of the email directly from
> Adam Appleacre, without the "[ListName]" at the beginning.
>

>I am probably telling you something you already know, but...
>
>*If* you have a check-mark in the setting "Start a new thread when a
>follow-up subject changes", then you could try removing the check-mark
>to see whether that makes an improvement. After removing the check-mark,
>force Agent to recalculate the folder's threading by changing the
>folder's sort order and changing it back again.

Thanks for another typically thorough reply Ralph.

Yes, in this case it appears to be list users raising completely new
topics.

"Start a new thread when a follow-up subject changes" is unchecked.

>I am probably telling you something you already know, but...

Extremely unlikely if it's about the black art of email!

Best wishes,

Terry