"But what we need to know is, do people want nasally-insertable computers?"

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)

SubjectAuthor
* getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)hawk
+- Re: getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)Arthur T.
+* Re: getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)Dennis Lee Bieber
|`* Re: getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)hawk
| `- Re: getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)hawk
`* Re: getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)Ralph Fox
 `* Re: getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)hawk
  +* Re: getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)Dennis Lee Bieber
  |`- Re: getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)hawk
  `* Re: getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)Ralph Fox
   `- Re: getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)hawk

1
getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)

<isprdg5jo1qud49su8mg7mmtr0lir9kv75@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2587&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2587

From: haw...@theuniverse.com (hawk)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 09:05:43 -0700
 by: hawk - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 16:05 UTC

Anybody getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" error from
Forte Agent? or know how to fix it? I can't seem to be able to
sattach a screenshot from grabit I have not been using it for a few
months and at first decided to update all messages and kept getting
the error. I've not been getting the error when a retrieve less than
27070 messages, anything higher gives me the error. Unfortunately,
this only gives me messages going back to
4/19/21 and those few from the 19th all have missing sections.

Posting from Grabit, which appears to be working correctly with
similar settings, but I prefer Agent because Grabit doesn't have Dark
Mode or a way to set the colors to simulate Dark mode.

-Hawk

Re: getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)

<8kqrdg5aim8vriqba3f5eeg5q633vgrupb@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2588&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2588

From: art...@munged.invalid (Arthur T.)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 12:19:14 -0400
 by: Arthur T. - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 16:19 UTC

In Message-ID:<isprdg5jo1qud49su8mg7mmtr0lir9kv75@4ax.com>,
hawk <hawk@theuniverse.com> wrote:

>I can't seem to be able to
>sattach a screenshot

I don't have an answer to your original problem, but you shouldn't
even be trying to attach screen shots when posting to non-binary
newsgroups.

Upload it to one of the free picture-sharing sites and then include a
link in your post.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Re: getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)

<mntrdgdkipt584qlanouisg947grlb8c05@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2590&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2590

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 13:14:02 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 17:14 UTC

On Thu, 01 Jul 2021 09:05:43 -0700, hawk <hawk@theuniverse.com> declaimed
the following:

>Anybody getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" error from
>Forte Agent? or know how to fix it? I can't seem to be able to

What version of Agent?

>the error. I've not been getting the error when a retrieve less than
>27070 messages, anything higher gives me the error. Unfortunately,
>this only gives me messages going back to
>4/19/21 and those few from the 19th all have missing sections.

That sounds like you might be hitting some file size limit if you are
running an older version of Agent...

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)

<h9fsdgpi8qtq72uuo3jlfsm1govhjp6ndc@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2595&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2595

From: haw...@theuniverse.com (hawk)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 15:43:52 -0700
 by: hawk - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 22:43 UTC

On Thu, 01 Jul 2021 13:14:02 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber
<wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Jul 2021 09:05:43 -0700, hawk <hawk@theuniverse.com> declaimed
>the following:
>
>>Anybody getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" error from
>>Forte Agent? or know how to fix it? I can't seem to be able to
>
> What version of Agent?
>
>>the error. I've not been getting the error when a retrieve less than
>>27070 messages, anything higher gives me the error. Unfortunately,
>>this only gives me messages going back to
>>4/19/21 and those few from the 19th all have missing sections.
>>
> That sounds like you might be hitting some file size limit if you are
>running an older version of Agent...

It's version 8.00/32 1272 per Help >About Agent

The weird part is that it's working fine on another computer, but not
the one I need to have it on. Just to make sure it's not windows I
cloned my hard drive (so I could go back to my original installation
which aside from this issue had nothing wrong with it) and did the
windows 10 reset where you tell windows you want to start from scratch
and JUST have it keep your data. I had to reinstall AGENT and add the
Newsgroup again and still got the same error. I then copied the
AGENT.INI from the working one and copied it to thie non-working AGENT
laptop and got the error again. I then copied the contents of the
folder (C:\Users\memyself\AppData\Roaming\Forte\Agent) from the
working computer and overwrote all the files from the non-working and
again, got the same error. Now I'm wondering, If I need to do a
complete reset of Windows 10, where I wipe everything (delete all
partitions/data) and really start from scratch. I think I will be
able to post this from Agent and won't need to use Grabit.

BTW, I contacted Forteinc and their suggestion was the following but
none of it worked:

Sorry for the trouble. In most cases, this is caused by a corruption
in the
data stream. If the problem persists, see if downloading with fewer
connections will help. Tools | servers and accounts | news server |
your
server. Set the max number of connections to some number lower than it
is
now.

-Hawk

Re: getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)

<lt2tdgditargtako6g7t76dim5bcom252n@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2596&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2596

From: haw...@theuniverse.com (hawk)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 20:52:29 -0700
 by: hawk - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 03:52 UTC

On Thu, 01 Jul 2021 15:43:52 -0700, hawk <hawk@theuniverse.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Jul 2021 13:14:02 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber
><wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 01 Jul 2021 09:05:43 -0700, hawk <hawk@theuniverse.com> declaimed
>>the following:
>>
>>>Anybody getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" error from
>>>Forte Agent? or know how to fix it? I can't seem to be able to
>>
>> What version of Agent?
>>
>>>the error. I've not been getting the error when a retrieve less than
>>>27070 messages, anything higher gives me the error. Unfortunately,
>>>this only gives me messages going back to
>>>4/19/21 and those few from the 19th all have missing sections.
>>>
>> That sounds like you might be hitting some file size limit if you are
>>running an older version of Agent...
>
>It's version 8.00/32 1272 per Help >About Agent
>
>The weird part is that it's working fine on another computer, but not
>the one I need to have it on. Just to make sure it's not windows I
>cloned my hard drive (so I could go back to my original installation
>which aside from this issue had nothing wrong with it) and did the
>windows 10 reset where you tell windows you want to start from scratch
>and JUST have it keep your data. I had to reinstall AGENT and add the
>Newsgroup again and still got the same error. I then copied the
>AGENT.INI from the working one and copied it to thie non-working AGENT
>laptop and got the error again. I then copied the contents of the
>folder (C:\Users\memyself\AppData\Roaming\Forte\Agent) from the
>working computer and overwrote all the files from the non-working and
>again, got the same error. Now I'm wondering, If I need to do a
>complete reset of Windows 10, where I wipe everything (delete all
>partitions/data) and really start from scratch. I think I will be
>able to post this from Agent and won't need to use Grabit.
>
>BTW, I contacted Forteinc and their suggestion was the following but
>none of it worked:
>
>Sorry for the trouble. In most cases, this is caused by a corruption
>in the
>data stream. If the problem persists, see if downloading with fewer
>connections will help. Tools | servers and accounts | news server |
>your
>server. Set the max number of connections to some number lower than it
>is
>now.
>
>-Hawk

Whatever it was, it was tied to Windows 10. Apparently, the reset to
only save the data was not enough. I did a clean install (no saving
of data and deleted partitions) of Windows 10 and then reinstalled it
and everything works...I wish I knew what was wrong so I don't have
re-install all my windows apps, but that doesn't seem possible. I
still have the cloned SSD. Any ideas?

-Fabio

Re: getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)

<n7ftdgphesolj10j2voist57jlviinsrps@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2598&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2598

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2021 20:19:25 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 08:19 UTC

On Thu, 01 Jul 2021 09:05:43 -0700, hawk wrote:

> Anybody getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" error from
> Forte Agent? or know how to fix it?
> I have not been using it for a few
> months and at first decided to update all messages and kept getting
> the error. I've not been getting the error when a retrieve less than
> 27070 messages, anything higher gives me the error. Unfortunately,
> this only gives me messages going back to
> 4/19/21 and those few from the 19th all have missing sections.
>
> Posting from Grabit, which appears to be working correctly with
> similar settings, but I prefer Agent because Grabit doesn't have Dark
> Mode or a way to set the colors to simulate Dark mode.

I can only see three previous threads about this, the most recent
from 2007. There does not appear to be a definite conclusion,
although one poster said the problem went away when he/she uninstalled
Agent and reinstalled it as new.

FYI here are the three previous threads on Google Groups
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/search?q=%22invalid%20string%20position%22>

Google groups is missing 2 posts from the 2006 thread (because they
had X-No-Archive set). If you want to retrieve and read them, here
are their message-IDs:

Please upload the screenshot to (say) <https://imgur.com/> or
<http://www.imagetitan.com/>, and post the _link_ here.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

学而不思则罔,思而不学则殆。
-- 《论语》 2.15

Re: getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)

<8kpudg13fsjo235d6hairfh2efavgko6g5@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2606&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2606

From: haw...@theuniverse.com (hawk)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2021 12:33:16 -0700
 by: hawk - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 19:33 UTC

>FYI here are the three previous threads on Google Groups
><https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/search?q=%22invalid%20string%20position%22>

Thanks Ralph, from reading a lot of messages. You seem to be the Guru
of this group. Certainly more helpful than Forte.

Through a Google search I had seen that message where someone
re-installed and the problem went away. Unfortunately, it didn't work
for me. Even the Windows 10 reset didn't seem to make it go away.
Only the clean install seem to fix it. I'm almost done with
reinstalling all my apps on 2nd drive so I'd likely won't go back to
the original drive unless you have any suggestions...at least for
curiosity sake. The one thing I was hoping to find was some sort of
guide that would allow a manual uninstall. I mean the kind where you
manually delete every part of the application even from the registry,
but there was no such guide. I tried the Total Uninstall app and Revo
Uninstall but I still felt they didn't do a complete job uninstalling
it. Apparently even the Windows 10 reset is not enough in removing
everything (good to know for future issues with other apps and/or
Windows 10 issues).

-Hawk

Re: getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)

<5bsudgdbrep25f3dfqi2i7s8ump0ufks3d@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2607&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2607

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2021 16:05:58 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 20:05 UTC

On Fri, 02 Jul 2021 12:33:16 -0700, hawk <hawk@theuniverse.com> declaimed
the following:

>Through a Google search I had seen that message where someone
>re-installed and the problem went away. Unfortunately, it didn't work
>for me. Even the Windows 10 reset didn't seem to make it go away.

But did you fully uninstall first -- including data directories? Maybe
a registry search and destroy for anything Forte related?

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)

<asvudg9j0ook5049jdsri07lkh1p8b353p@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2610&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2610

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2021 09:44:23 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 21:44 UTC

On Fri, 02 Jul 2021 12:33:16 -0700, hawk wrote:

>> FYI here are the three previous threads on Google Groups
>> <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/search?q=%22invalid%20string%20position%22>
>
> Thanks Ralph, from reading a lot of messages. You seem to be the Guru
> of this group. Certainly more helpful than Forte.
>
> Through a Google search I had seen that message where someone
> re-installed and the problem went away. Unfortunately, it didn't work
> for me. Even the Windows 10 reset didn't seem to make it go away.
> Only the clean install seem to fix it. I'm almost done with
> reinstalling all my apps on 2nd drive so I'd likely won't go back to
> the original drive unless you have any suggestions...at least for
> curiosity sake. The one thing I was hoping to find was some sort of
> guide that would allow a manual uninstall. I mean the kind where you
> manually delete every part of the application even from the registry,
> but there was no such guide. I tried the Total Uninstall app and Revo
> Uninstall but I still felt they didn't do a complete job uninstalling
> it. Apparently even the Windows 10 reset is not enough in removing
> everything (good to know for future issues with other apps and/or
> Windows 10 issues).

Agent puts very little in the registry -- only what is needed so Windows
knows how to launch Agent when, for example, you double-click on an NZB
file or open a link like "news:isprdg5jo1qud49su8mg7mmtr0lir9kv75@4ax.com".
For Agent, I would not worry too much about the registry settings.

For Agent, to completely delete every part of the application the most
important thing to do is to delete Agent's data folder and all the
files inside it -- including AGENT.INI and the *.DAT and *.IDX files.
Agent's settings are stored in several different files in this folder,
and that is what you want to manually delete.

* This _will mean that you lose all your saved messages.

* If you do want to save any messages, export them first to a "Unix
message file".
File >> Save Messages As
choose "UNIX message file," "Save raw" and "All fields".

The saved file can be re-imported into the clean new install of Agent
by using File >> Import and Export >> Import Messages.

I would not expect Total Uninstall or Revo Uninstall to know every single
program and where each of them stored all their settings. There is no
'Harry Potter' magic wand.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)

<tm1vdgddi2m0hmos2cjobmgr41ehek345q@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2611&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2611

From: haw...@theuniverse.com (hawk)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2021 14:48:01 -0700
 by: hawk - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 21:48 UTC

On Fri, 02 Jul 2021 16:05:58 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber
<wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> But did you fully uninstall first -- including data directories? Maybe
>a registry search and destroy for anything Forte related?

I didn't at first, but eventually I tried to remove all I knew of. I
re-installed several times. The subsequent times I did try to destroy
everything from these two folders:

C:\Users\hawk\AppData\Roaming\Forte\Agent
C:\Program Files (x86)\Agent

But I don't know if there are any others. Specially the registry.
This is why I wish knew if there a manual uninstall guide for it with
all the folders/files and registry entries. Is there?

-Hawk

Re: getting an "Invalid String Position msg=1 type=0" (see inside)

<cla5egt5ehjonia3nps0jiqmi02gnod49i@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2643&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2643

From: haw...@theuniverse.com (hawk)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 23:52:50 -0700
 by: hawk - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 06:52 UTC

On Sat, 03 Jul 2021 09:44:23 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

Yeah, I didn't think those uninstallers would do everything for all
apps that's why I was hoping for a complete uninstall list including
depencies perhaps a dll that it depends was changed by another
application, but if that's the case I would hope windows would reset
all of those when doing a a reset, but perhaps it isn't doing that.

-Hawk