The Shuttle is now going five times the sound of speed. -- Dan Rather, first landing of Columbia

computers / news.admin.peering / Re: Peering Request

SubjectAuthor
* Peering RequestJesse Rehmer
+* Re: Peering RequestNigel Reed
|`* Re: Peering RequestMiner
| `- Re: Peering RequestNigel Reed
+* Re: Peering RequestJulien ÉLIE
|`* Re: Peering RequestJesse Rehmer
| `* Re: Peering RequestJulien ÉLIE
|  `* Re: Peering RequestJesse Rehmer
|   `* Re: Peering RequestJesse Rehmer
|    `- Re: Peering RequestJulien ÉLIE
`* Re: Peering RequestGrant Taylor
 `- Re: Peering RequestThe Doctor

1
Peering Request

<0001HW.27ECDBA4001949D670000F93838F@usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=259&group=news.admin.peering#259

From: jreh...@blueworldhosting.com (Jesse Rehmer)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Subject: Peering Request
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 12:02:28 -0500
 by: Jesse Rehmer - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 17:02 UTC

Hello,

After a bit of a hiatus I’m back and looking for peers. Due to a series of
unfortunate events and a lack of free-time I had to scrap the Usenet service
I had running.

My peering mission is simple, to participate in the transmission of
non-binary Usenet articles. I run the server for my own purposes, but love
the idea of Usenet and propagation of data, so I enjoy having a lot of peers.
Does not matter if you are a long-time newsmaster or someone new who needs a
peer to tinker with NNTP. As long as you are a non-abusive peer I’m happy
to setup a feed.

Pathname: usenet.blueworldhosting.com
Accept From: usenet.blueworldhosting.com
Send To: usenet.blueworldhosting.com
Max. article Size: 64KB
Network(s): AS1610 (primary) / AS36473
Peering Location(s): St. Louis, MO USA
Port: 119
Hierarchies: *,!unidata.*,@*.bina*,@*.bain*,@*.dateien*,@*.pictures*

Server is running INN 2.7.0 with PyClean and NoCeM

Further info at https://usenet.blueworldhosting.com

Cheers,

Jesse Rehmer

Re: Peering Request

<20220324134856.703b21bb@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=260&group=news.admin.peering#260

From: sys...@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Subject: Re: Peering Request
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 13:48:56 -0500
 by: Nigel Reed - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 18:48 UTC

On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 12:02:28 -0500
Jesse Rehmer <jrehmer@blueworldhosting.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After a bit of a hiatus I’m back and looking for peers. Due to a
> series of unfortunate events and a lack of free-time I had to scrap
> the Usenet service I had running.
>
> My peering mission is simple, to participate in the transmission of
> non-binary Usenet articles. I run the server for my own purposes, but
> love the idea of Usenet and propagation of data, so I enjoy having a
> lot of peers. Does not matter if you are a long-time newsmaster or
> someone new who needs a peer to tinker with NNTP. As long as you are
> a non-abusive peer I’m happy to setup a feed.
>
> Pathname: usenet.blueworldhosting.com
> Accept From: usenet.blueworldhosting.com
> Send To: usenet.blueworldhosting.com
> Max. article Size: 64KB
> Network(s): AS1610 (primary) / AS36473
> Peering Location(s): St. Louis, MO USA
> Port: 119
> Hierarchies: *,!unidata.*,@*.bina*,@*.bain*,@*.dateien*,@*.pictures*

I have you all setup here. You can find my details at
https://www.endofthelinebbs.com/peering.html

Thanks,
Nigel

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Peering Request

<t1if3k$r806$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=261&group=news.admin.peering#261

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 20:00:04 +0100
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 19:00 UTC

Hi Jesse,

> After a bit of a hiatus I’m back and looking for peers.

Welcome back!

> Network(s): AS1610 (primary) / AS36473

My question may sound weird (I don't know how hosting and ISP work in
the USA): what does it change in practice that the news server is on
these networks? It is just for optimizing latency (if your peers are on
the same network) or are there fees to pay when you have too much
traffic outside these networks? or...?

> Server is running INN 2.7.0 with PyClean and NoCeM

I too like PyClean better!

Are you running INN 2.7.0 built from sources by your own or has a
version already been packaged in your distribution?
Did you enable native Cancel-Lock support, set up in inn-secrets.conf?

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Perl programming is an *empirical* science. » (Larry Wall)

Re: Peering Request

<t1im8q$hkl$1@bwh01.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=263&group=news.admin.peering#263

From: jreh...@blueworldhosting.com (Jesse Rehmer)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 16:02:17 -0500
 by: Jesse Rehmer - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 21:02 UTC

On 3/24/22 2:00 PM, Julien ÉLIE wrote:
> Hi Jesse,
>
> Welcome back!

Thanks, Julien!

> My question may sound weird (I don't know how hosting and ISP work in
> the USA): what does it change in practice that the news server is on
> these networks?  It is just for optimizing latency (if your peers are on
> the same network) or are there fees to pay when you have too much
> traffic outside these networks? or...?

The AS/ISP info is usually not applicable these days, especially for a
text-only feed. I still put it there out of habit. I doubt anyone
besides entities exchanging full feeds would care about the AS
information. For example, certain providers (mostly in the Netherlands)
will exchange a full feed at no cost if you are on a network that their
provider(s) have peering agreements with (no bandwidth cost for them to
use those peered interconnects, basically).

> I too like PyClean better!

I admit I have not looked through the code to compare, but overall "out
of the box" PyClean seems to do a better job without tinkering. There
is more documentation and information/discussion to be found about the
perl/Cleanfeed version, though.

On that note I am having a harder time searching for things that used to
be relatively easy to find. Either Google has de-ranked the results, or
many sites have gone offline making it more difficult to find
INN-specific things. For instance, I know I used to have code/filters
to change the hostname in the Message-ID if the user's posting agent
does a poor job at Message-ID generation. Years ago searching for
something like that wasn't too difficult, but for the life of me I
cannot find certain tidbits like that any longer.

> Are you running INN 2.7.0 built from sources by your own or has a
> version already been packaged in your distribution?
> Did you enable native Cancel-Lock support, set up in inn-secrets.conf?

I'm building from source using one of the recent snapshots. I have been
meaning to post to the inn-workers list because I cannot get innd to
start when compiled with Cancel-Lock support. I have the library
compiled and installed - configure finds it and all compiles fine, but
when innd starts it fails stating it cannot find the shared library. I
tried compiling a few different ways (using
--with-canlock=/path/to/canlock, for example), but could only get innd
to start if I compiled --without-canlock.

I'm sure it has something to do with how the library is installed, but
have not dug deeper. I downloaded the libcanlock 3.3.0 package from
https://micha.freeshell.org/libcanlock/src/info.html and did the basic
configure && make && make install.

Cheers,

Jesse

Re: Peering Request

<t1ip4b$rhiv$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=264&group=news.admin.peering#264

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 22:51:07 +0100
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 21:51 UTC

Hi Jesse,

> The AS/ISP info is usually not applicable these days, especially for a
> text-only feed.  I still put it there out of habit.  I doubt anyone
> besides entities exchanging full feeds would care about the AS
> information.  For example, certain providers (mostly in the Netherlands)
> will exchange a full feed at no cost if you are on a network that their
> provider(s) have peering agreements with (no bandwidth cost for them to
> use those peered interconnects, basically).

OK, thanks for your answer.

> I know I used to have code/filters
> to change the hostname in the Message-ID if the user's posting agent
> does a poor job at Message-ID generation.  Years ago searching for
> something like that wasn't too difficult, but for the life of me I
> cannot find certain tidbits like that any longer.

The question would be whether it is still necessary nowadays to have
such a filter to modify the Message-IDs of posts...
Notably, when RFC 5537 specifically states that an injecting agent "MUST
NOT alter or delete any existing Message-ID header field".

>> Are you running INN 2.7.0 built from sources by your own or has a
>> version already been packaged in your distribution?
>> Did you enable native Cancel-Lock support, set up in inn-secrets.conf?
>
> I'm building from source using one of the recent snapshots.  I have been
> meaning to post to the inn-workers list because I cannot get innd to
> start when compiled with Cancel-Lock support. I have the library > compiled and installed - configure finds it and all compiles fine

As well as "make tests"?

> but when innd starts it fails stating it cannot find the shared library.
> I tried compiling a few different ways (using
> --with-canlock=/path/to/canlock, for example), but could only get innd
> to start if I compiled --without-canlock.
>
> I'm sure it has something to do with how the library is installed, but
> have not dug deeper.  I downloaded the libcanlock 3.3.0 package from
> https://micha.freeshell.org/libcanlock/src/info.html and did the basic
> configure && make && make install.

I use --with-canlock=/home/news/work/libcanlock-3.3.0 to build INN.
As for libcanlock, I run "configure
--prefix=/home/news/work/libcanlock-3.3.0".
innd manages to find the library (in /home/news/work/libcanlock-3.3.0/lib).

--
Julien ÉLIE

« – Nous voyageons plus vite que la lumière !
– Alors comment y voir clair dans tout ça ? » (Astérix)

Re: Peering Request

<t1ir39$18b9$1@bwh01.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=265&group=news.admin.peering#265

From: jreh...@blueworldhosting.com (Jesse Rehmer)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 17:24:41 -0500
 by: Jesse Rehmer - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 22:24 UTC

On 3/24/22 4:51 PM, Julien ÉLIE wrote:

> As well as "make tests"?

Admittedly, no (I'm a rebel?), but it is the same output:

../tests/runtests -o lib/canlock
/home/news/inn-2.7-20220309/tests/lib/.libs/lt-canlock.t: error while
file: No such file or directory

> I use --with-canlock=/home/news/work/libcanlock-3.3.0 to build INN.
> As for libcanlock, I run "configure
> --prefix=/home/news/work/libcanlock-3.3.0".
> innd manages to find the library (in /home/news/work/libcanlock-3.3.0/lib).

Ah, I will try that approach. I did not specify an installation prefix
for libcanlock, so it used the default /usr/local structure.

Cheers,

Jesse

Re: Peering Request

<0001HW.27ED33EE000B3FC470000448438F@usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=266&group=news.admin.peering#266

From: jreh...@blueworldhosting.com (Jesse Rehmer)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 18:19:10 -0500
sha1:/l6IC+dmUMdiKtRLunWBn8XHqUU= sha256:lGqXIKyDys6tyQd1Oa0Z0eM9h8vzR27zWq30W5kofus=
 by: Jesse Rehmer - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 23:19 UTC

On Mar 24, 2022, Jesse Rehmer wrote
(in article<t1ir39$18b9$1@bwh01.blueworldhosting.com>):

> On 3/24/22 4:51 PM, Julien ÉLIE wrote:
>
> > As well as "make tests"?
>
> Admittedly, no (I'm a rebel?), but it is the same output:
>
> ./tests/runtests -o lib/canlock
> /home/news/inn-2.7-20220309/tests/lib/.libs/lt-canlock.t: error while
> file: No such file or directory
>
> > I use --with-canlock=/home/news/work/libcanlock-3.3.0 to build INN.
> > As for libcanlock, I run "configure
> > --prefix=/home/news/work/libcanlock-3.3.0".
> > innd manages to find the library (in /home/news/work/libcanlock-3.3.0/lib).
>
> Ah, I will try that approach. I did not specify an installation prefix
> for libcanlock, so it used the default /usr/local structure.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jesse

I was able to get Cancel-Lock support working after building/installing
libcavnlock in a similar way as your example. Thank you for the assistance,
Julien!

Re: Peering Request

<t1l42d$duu$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=267&group=news.admin.peering#267

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 13:10:33 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 19:10 UTC

On 3/24/22 11:02 AM, Jesse Rehmer wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> After a bit of a hiatus I’m back and looking for peers.
Please send me a direct email.

I'll be configuring some other new peers this weekend and would be happy
to add you at the same time.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Peering Request

<t1lb2o$1je9$52@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=268&group=news.admin.peering#268

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 21:09:44 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 21:09 UTC

In article <t1l42d$duu$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>,
Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
>On 3/24/22 11:02 AM, Jesse Rehmer wrote:
>> Hello,
>
>Hi,
>
>> After a bit of a hiatus I’m back and looking for peers.
>Please send me a direct email.
>
>I'll be configuring some other new peers this weekend and would be happy
>to add you at the same time.

News.nk.ca will peer with anyone, except spammers!

>--
>Grant. . . .
>unix || die

Doing something easy and useless is the call of the world. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: Peering Request

<t1mjbj$b8a$1@txtcon.i2p>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=269&group=news.admin.peering#269

From: joh...@doe.invalid (Miner)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 08:37:08 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="11530"; mail-complaints-to="txtcon@i2pmail.org"
 by: Miner - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 08:37 UTC

Nigel Reed wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 12:02:28 -0500
> Jesse Rehmer <jrehmer@blueworldhosting.com> wrote:
>
> I have you all setup here. You can find my details at
> https://www.endofthelinebbs.com/peering.html

Which tool do you use to generate such data?

--
Miner

Re: Peering Request

<20220326190136.52b49378@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=270&group=news.admin.peering#270

From: sys...@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 19:01:36 -0500
 by: Nigel Reed - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 00:01 UTC

On Sat, 26 Mar 2022 08:37:08 -0000 (UTC)
Miner <john@doe.invalid> wrote:

> Nigel Reed wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 12:02:28 -0500
> > Jesse Rehmer <jrehmer@blueworldhosting.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have you all setup here. You can find my details at
> > https://www.endofthelinebbs.com/peering.html
>
> Which tool do you use to generate such data?

Erm, vim. It's a static webpage :)

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Peering Request

<t1qikh$10a77$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=271&group=news.admin.peering#271

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 22:49:21 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 20:49 UTC

Hi Jesse,

>>> I use --with-canlock=/home/news/work/libcanlock-3.3.0 to build INN.
>>> As for libcanlock, I run "configure
>>> --prefix=/home/news/work/libcanlock-3.3.0".
>>> innd manages to find the library (in /home/news/work/libcanlock-3.3.0/lib).
>
> I was able to get Cancel-Lock support working after building/installing
> libcanlock in a similar way as your example. Thank you for the assistance,
> Julien!

You're welcome.
And I'm glad to see that your last message contains a Cancel-Lock header
field generated by INN :-)

If you prefer the standard locations where libcanlock has been
installed, you may want to use --with-canlock-include=path and
--with-canlock-lib=path to specify the paths to header files and the
library.