"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." -- George Carlin

computers / alt.windows7.general / Win 7 / external disk / shutdown question

SubjectAuthor
* Win 7 / external disk / shutdown questionJeff Barnett
`* Re: Win 7 / external disk / shutdown questionSailfish
 `* Re: Win 7 / external disk / shutdown questionJeff Barnett
  `* Re: Win 7 / external disk / shutdown questionSailfish
   `* Re: Win 7 / external disk / shutdown questionDavid E. Ross
    +* Re: Win 7 / external disk / shutdown questionJeff Barnett
    |`- Re: Win 7 / external disk / shutdown questionKen Blake
    +- Re: Win 7 / external disk / shutdown questionKen Blake
    `- Re: Win 7 / external disk / shutdown questionSailfish

1
Win 7 / external disk / shutdown question

<sj4s2m$mn6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2600&group=alt.windows7.general#2600

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Win 7 / external disk / shutdown question
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 11:27:45 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 17:27 UTC

I'm running Win 7 Pro SP1 64 bit and have an external disk attached in a
Voyager S3 USB Device (a disk caddy) via USB 3.0. I use the disk to hold
copies of backups for my computer as well as two others on my LAN - the
other computers write to shared directories. I mention the usage to make
the point that there are many multi gigabyte files written to this disk,
through my computer, on a weekly basis.

Assume I never shutdown my computer when a transfer (from another
computer or mine) is in progress or the busy lights convey that
in-memory buffers are still being written. Given that assumption can I
assume the disk can be safely removed after shutdown and before
rebooting even though I did not turn sharing off or dismount it before
shutdown?
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Win 7 / external disk / shutdown question

<sj4sv4$tlh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2603&group=alt.windows7.general#2603

From: NIXCAPSs...@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Win 7 / external disk / shutdown question
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 10:43:01 -0700
 by: Sailfish - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 17:43 UTC

Jeff Barnett graced us with on 9/30/2021 10:27 AM:
> I'm running Win 7 Pro SP1 64 bit and have an external disk attached in a
> Voyager S3 USB Device (a disk caddy) via USB 3.0. I use the disk to hold
> copies of backups for my computer as well as two others on my LAN - the
> other computers write to shared directories. I mention the usage to make
> the point that there are many multi gigabyte files written to this disk,
> through my computer, on a weekly basis.
>
> Assume I never shutdown my computer when a transfer (from another
> computer or mine) is in progress or the busy lights convey that
> in-memory buffers are still being written. Given that assumption can I
> assume the disk can be safely removed after shutdown and before
> rebooting even though I did not turn sharing off or dismount it before
> shutdown?

I have a similar system but have multiple portable drives that connect
to my USB 3 port using a special cable (see
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IE6VA0G) that I use for my periodic
backups. I safely remove the drives after shutdown and I also safely use
the Eject media tray icon to dismount and store the drives after use
without shutting down.

Cheers

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034

Re: Win 7 / external disk / shutdown question

<sj4tte$563$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2605&group=alt.windows7.general#2605

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 11:59:05 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 17:59 UTC

On 9/30/2021 11:43 AM, Sailfish wrote:
> Jeff Barnett graced us with on 9/30/2021 10:27 AM:
>> I'm running Win 7 Pro SP1 64 bit and have an external disk attached in
>> a Voyager S3 USB Device (a disk caddy) via USB 3.0. I use the disk to
>> hold copies of backups for my computer as well as two others on my LAN
>> - the other computers write to shared directories. I mention the usage
>> to make the point that there are many multi gigabyte files written to
>> this disk, through my computer, on a weekly basis.
>>
>> Assume I never shutdown my computer when a transfer (from another
>> computer or mine) is in progress or the busy lights convey that
>> in-memory buffers are still being written. Given that assumption can I
>> assume the disk can be safely removed after shutdown and before
>> rebooting even though I did not turn sharing off or dismount it before
>> shutdown?
>
> I have a similar system but have multiple portable drives that connect
> to my USB 3 port using a special cable (see
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IE6VA0G) that I use for my periodic
> backups. I safely remove the drives after shutdown and I also safely use
> the Eject media tray icon to dismount and store the drives after use
> without shutting down.

Thanks for the reply. I sometimes shutdown because of weather and
lighting and may want to switch disks (so I can take the current to a
safety deposit box). The question was motivated by not knowing whether
or not I had to reboot and terminate the disk with OS assistance.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Win 7 / external disk / shutdown question

<sj512h$tih$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2609&group=alt.windows7.general#2609

From: NIXCAPSs...@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 11:53:08 -0700
 by: Sailfish - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 18:53 UTC

Jeff Barnett graced us with on 9/30/2021 10:59 AM:
> On 9/30/2021 11:43 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> Jeff Barnett graced us with on 9/30/2021 10:27 AM:
>>> I'm running Win 7 Pro SP1 64 bit and have an external disk attached
>>> in a Voyager S3 USB Device (a disk caddy) via USB 3.0. I use the disk
>>> to hold copies of backups for my computer as well as two others on my
>>> LAN - the other computers write to shared directories. I mention the
>>> usage to make the point that there are many multi gigabyte files
>>> written to this disk, through my computer, on a weekly basis.
>>>
>>> Assume I never shutdown my computer when a transfer (from another
>>> computer or mine) is in progress or the busy lights convey that
>>> in-memory buffers are still being written. Given that assumption can
>>> I assume the disk can be safely removed after shutdown and before
>>> rebooting even though I did not turn sharing off or dismount it
>>> before shutdown?
>>
>> I have a similar system but have multiple portable drives that connect
>> to my USB 3 port using a special cable (see
>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IE6VA0G) that I use for my
>> periodic backups. I safely remove the drives after shutdown and I also
>> safely use the Eject media tray icon to dismount and store the drives
>> after use without shutting down.
>
> Thanks for the reply. I sometimes shutdown because of weather and
> lighting and may want to switch disks (so I can take the current to a
> safety deposit box). The question was motivated by not knowing whether
> or not I had to reboot and terminate the disk with OS assistance.

Not required since a shutdown will dismount the drive before turning off
power.

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034

Re: Win 7 / external disk / shutdown question

<sj5bmo$1odv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2615&group=alt.windows7.general#2615

From: not...@not_there.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 14:54:31 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 21:54 UTC

On 9/30/2021 11:53 AM, Sailfish wrote:
> Jeff Barnett graced us with on 9/30/2021 10:59 AM:
>> On 9/30/2021 11:43 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> Jeff Barnett graced us with on 9/30/2021 10:27 AM:

>>> I have a similar system but have multiple portable drives that connect
>>> to my USB 3 port using a special cable (see
>>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IE6VA0G) that I use for my
>>> periodic backups. I safely remove the drives after shutdown and I also
>>> safely use the Eject media tray icon to dismount and store the drives
>>> after use without shutting down.
>>
>> Thanks for the reply. I sometimes shutdown because of weather and
>> lighting and may want to switch disks (so I can take the current to a
>> safety deposit box). The question was motivated by not knowing whether
>> or not I had to reboot and terminate the disk with OS assistance.
>
> Not required since a shutdown will dismount the drive before turning off
> power.

I generally do not want to shut down after completing my weekly backups.
I use the tray icon for "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media". If
it responds "Safe to Remove Hardware", I remove the drive. If it
responds otherwise, I go on with other tasks and try the icon again later.

The above also applies when I backup my wife's old PC, which does not
have a USB-3 port. I can access her local backup files via our LAN and
copy them to my portable disc on my PC.

By the way, before copying backups to my portable disc, I encrypt them.
Thus, I do not need to go to the bank to put them in our safe deposit box.

--
David E. Ross
"A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"

Re: Win 7 / external disk / shutdown question

<sj5eva$i3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2618&group=alt.windows7.general#2618

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 16:50:12 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 22:50 UTC

On 9/30/2021 3:54 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 9/30/2021 11:53 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> Jeff Barnett graced us with on 9/30/2021 10:59 AM:

>>> Thanks for the reply. I sometimes shutdown because of weather and
>>> lighting and may want to switch disks (so I can take the current to a
>>> safety deposit box). The question was motivated by not knowing whether
>>> or not I had to reboot and terminate the disk with OS assistance.
>>
>> Not required since a shutdown will dismount the drive before turning off
>> power.
>>

> I generally do not want to shut down after completing my weekly backups.
> I use the tray icon for "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media". If
> it responds "Safe to Remove Hardware", I remove the drive. If it
> responds otherwise, I go on with other tasks and try the icon again later.
>
> The above also applies when I backup my wife's old PC, which does not
> have a USB-3 port. I can access her local backup files via our LAN and
> copy them to my portable disc on my PC.
>
> By the way, before copying backups to my portable disc, I encrypt them.
> Thus, I do not need to go to the bank to put them in our safe deposit box.

Encryption is no protection against fire or water damage. It is no
protection if you want to do a restore and the disk has been stolen.
Most serious backup plans include a portion kept in off site storage for
such reasons. I exchange the disk at home with one in the safety deposit
box periodically but not every week. I suggest that you reevaluate your
reasons for using encryption and assure yourself that you are adequately
protected against more than theft.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Win 7 / external disk / shutdown question

<irmtukFfg52U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2620&group=alt.windows7.general#2620

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 16:01:39 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 23:01 UTC

On 9/30/2021 2:54 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 9/30/2021 11:53 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> Jeff Barnett graced us with on 9/30/2021 10:59 AM:

>>> Thanks for the reply. I sometimes shutdown because of weather and
>>> lighting and may want to switch disks (so I can take the current to a
>>> safety deposit box). The question was motivated by not knowing whether
>>> or not I had to reboot and terminate the disk with OS assistance.
>>
>> Not required since a shutdown will dismount the drive before turning off
>> power.
>>

> I generally do not want to shut down after completing my weekly backups.
> I use the tray icon for "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media". If
> it responds "Safe to Remove Hardware", I remove the drive. If it
> responds otherwise, I go on with other tasks and try the icon again later.
>
> The above also applies when I backup my wife's old PC, which does not
> have a USB-3 port. I can access her local backup files via our LAN and
> copy them to my portable disc on my PC.
>
> By the way, before copying backups to my portable disc, I encrypt them.

That probably protects you against someone else reading and
understanding their content...

> Thus, I do not need to go to the bank to put them in our safe deposit box.

....but it doesn't protect you against someone else stealing them.

--
Ken

Re: Win 7 / external disk / shutdown question

<irmu2bFfg52U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2621&group=alt.windows7.general#2621

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 16:03:39 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 23:03 UTC

On 9/30/2021 3:50 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> On 9/30/2021 3:54 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 9/30/2021 11:53 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> Jeff Barnett graced us with on 9/30/2021 10:59 AM:

>>> Not required since a shutdown will dismount the drive before turning off
>>> power.
>>>

>> I generally do not want to shut down after completing my weekly backups.
>> I use the tray icon for "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media". If
>> it responds "Safe to Remove Hardware", I remove the drive. If it
>> responds otherwise, I go on with other tasks and try the icon again later.
>>
>> The above also applies when I backup my wife's old PC, which does not
>> have a USB-3 port. I can access her local backup files via our LAN and
>> copy them to my portable disc on my PC.
>>
>> By the way, before copying backups to my portable disc, I encrypt them.
>> Thus, I do not need to go to the bank to put them in our safe deposit box.
>
> Encryption is no protection against fire or water damage.

Yes. I mentioned theft, but those are two other good points.

> It is no
> protection if you want to do a restore and the disk has been stolen.

Yes.

> Most serious backup plans include a portion kept in off site storage for
> such reasons.

Yes.

> I exchange the disk at home with one in the safety deposit
> box periodically but not every week. I suggest that you reevaluate your
> reasons for using encryption and assure yourself that you are adequately
> protected against more than theft.

Yes.

--
Ken

Re: Win 7 / external disk / shutdown question

<sj5ghr$9a8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2623&group=alt.windows7.general#2623

From: NIXCAPSs...@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 16:17:13 -0700
 by: Sailfish - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 23:17 UTC

David E. Ross graced us with on 9/30/2021 2:54 PM:
> On 9/30/2021 11:53 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> Jeff Barnett graced us with on 9/30/2021 10:59 AM:

>>> Thanks for the reply. I sometimes shutdown because of weather and
>>> lighting and may want to switch disks (so I can take the current to a
>>> safety deposit box). The question was motivated by not knowing whether
>>> or not I had to reboot and terminate the disk with OS assistance.
>> Not required since a shutdown will dismount the drive before turning off
>> power.
>
> I generally do not want to shut down after completing my weekly backups.
> I use the tray icon for "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media". If
> it responds "Safe to Remove Hardware", I remove the drive. If it
> responds otherwise, I go on with other tasks and try the icon again later.
>
> The above also applies when I backup my wife's old PC, which does not
> have a USB-3 port. I can access her local backup files via our LAN and
> copy them to my portable disc on my PC.
>
> By the way, before copying backups to my portable disc, I encrypt them.
> Thus, I do not need to go to the bank to put them in our safe deposit box.

When I do my weekly backup, I make a copy for my go-bag (aka,
bug-out-bag). One never knows when an emergency will hit requiring one
to skedaddle pronto. Something every Californian needs to worry about,
now more than ever.