From: street...@aol.com (RStreets)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Junk Mail/Spam
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 23:06:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RStreets - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 23:06 UTC

I used to get may 1-2 junk emails a month. I now get 5-6 a day. I noticed
it started a few days after a friend sent me a Christmas gift basket from
an online company, and gave the company my email address to notify me. I
began getting 1-2 per week, and then it exploded. This may or may not be
the cause, but I now spend more deleting junk than reading legitimate
email.

Filtering junk at the Comcast web email site has never worked, and blocking
domains or senders at the client level is a never ending chore, because
both change all the time.

I'm not asking how to deal with junk email. I'm wondering how is it that
so much of the junk email is identical in visual format (pictures same
size, placed in the same location, identical frames and spacing, colors).
If go to the domain (www.domain.com), all of these go to a page that says
"Welcome to my domain". There must be hundreds of these. Why is this?

Re: Junk Mail/Spam

<smghv1$7p6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=260&group=alt.online-service.comcast#260

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Re: Junk Mail/Spam
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 08:37:35 -0500
 by: Frank - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 13:37 UTC

On 11/9/2021 6:06 PM, RStreets wrote:
> I used to get may 1-2 junk emails a month. I now get 5-6 a day. I noticed
> it started a few days after a friend sent me a Christmas gift basket from
> an online company, and gave the company my email address to notify me. I
> began getting 1-2 per week, and then it exploded. This may or may not be
> the cause, but I now spend more deleting junk than reading legitimate
> email.
>
> Filtering junk at the Comcast web email site has never worked, and blocking
> domains or senders at the client level is a never ending chore, because
> both change all the time.
>
> I'm not asking how to deal with junk email. I'm wondering how is it that
> so much of the junk email is identical in visual format (pictures same
> size, placed in the same location, identical frames and spacing, colors).
> If go to the domain (www.domain.com), all of these go to a page that says
> "Welcome to my domain". There must be hundreds of these. Why is this?

I suspected that the junk mail was prevalent as wife and I are seeing
the deluge. I use Thunderbird as email client and just bring up the
junk which sometimes has real email and delete all junk without opening.
I figure trying to block it is like trying to block cold calls as they
just forge addresses.

Re: Junk Mail/Spam

<smh51d$8dk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=261&group=alt.online-service.comcast#261

From: street...@aol.com (RStreets)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 19:03:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RStreets - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 19:03 UTC

Frank <"frank "@frank.net> wrote in news:smghv1$7p6$1@dont-email.me:

> On 11/9/2021 6:06 PM, RStreets wrote:
>> I used to get may 1-2 junk emails a month. I now get 5-6 a day. I
>> noticed it started a few days after a friend sent me a Christmas gift
>> basket from an online company, and gave the company my email address
>> to notify me. I began getting 1-2 per week, and then it exploded.
>> This may or may not be the cause, but I now spend more deleting junk
>> than reading legitimate email.
>>
>> Filtering junk at the Comcast web email site has never worked, and
>> blocking domains or senders at the client level is a never ending
>> chore, because both change all the time.
>>
>> I'm not asking how to deal with junk email. I'm wondering how is it
>> that so much of the junk email is identical in visual format
>> (pictures same size, placed in the same location, identical frames
>> and spacing, colors). If go to the domain (www.domain.com), all of
>> these go to a page that says "Welcome to my domain". There must be
>> hundreds of these. Why is this?
>>

> I suspected that the junk mail was prevalent as wife and I are seeing
> the deluge. I use Thunderbird as email client and just bring up the
> junk which sometimes has real email and delete all junk without
> opening.
> I figure trying to block it is like trying to block cold calls as
> they
> just forge addresses.

I agree. I just got another 6 junk emails, and the day is only half
over. About cold calls, I was away for 10 days, and when I got home, I
had 21 spam vmails on my landline. Had to listen to all just to be sure
there wasn't a ligitimate one. Delete, delete, delete. And that doesn't
include spam calls on my cell phone.

I gave up on blocking spam cell phone calls long ago. I guess it's time
to give up on blocking junk emails. I just was wondering why so many
look alike, and when going to their domains why so many just say "Welcome
to My domain".

Re: Junk Mail/Spam

<smh8rn$jo6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=262&group=alt.online-service.comcast#262

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 15:08:20 -0500
 by: Frank - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 20:08 UTC

On 11/10/2021 2:03 PM, RStreets wrote:
> Frank <"frank "@frank.net> wrote in news:smghv1$7p6$1@dont-email.me:
>
>> On 11/9/2021 6:06 PM, RStreets wrote:
>>> I used to get may 1-2 junk emails a month. I now get 5-6 a day. I
>>> noticed it started a few days after a friend sent me a Christmas gift
>>> basket from an online company, and gave the company my email address
>>> to notify me. I began getting 1-2 per week, and then it exploded.
>>> This may or may not be the cause, but I now spend more deleting junk
>>> than reading legitimate email.
>>>
>>> Filtering junk at the Comcast web email site has never worked, and
>>> blocking domains or senders at the client level is a never ending
>>> chore, because both change all the time.
>>>
>>> I'm not asking how to deal with junk email. I'm wondering how is it
>>> that so much of the junk email is identical in visual format
>>> (pictures same size, placed in the same location, identical frames
>>> and spacing, colors). If go to the domain (www.domain.com), all of
>>> these go to a page that says "Welcome to my domain". There must be
>>> hundreds of these. Why is this?
>>>

>> I suspected that the junk mail was prevalent as wife and I are seeing
>> the deluge. I use Thunderbird as email client and just bring up the
>> junk which sometimes has real email and delete all junk without
>> opening.
>> I figure trying to block it is like trying to block cold calls as
>> they
>> just forge addresses.
>
> I agree. I just got another 6 junk emails, and the day is only half
> over. About cold calls, I was away for 10 days, and when I got home, I
> had 21 spam vmails on my landline. Had to listen to all just to be sure
> there wasn't a ligitimate one. Delete, delete, delete. And that doesn't
> include spam calls on my cell phone.
>
> I gave up on blocking spam cell phone calls long ago. I guess it's time
> to give up on blocking junk emails. I just was wondering why so many
> look alike, and when going to their domains why so many just say "Welcome
> to My domain".

Since they started recently, maybe in the last few months, they are
probably all from just a few or maybe one source.