Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later. -- F. Brooks, "The Mythical Man-Month"

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Interpreting this filter?

SubjectAuthor
* Interpreting this filter?Terry Pinnell
+* Re: Interpreting this filter?Barry Schwarz
|`- Re: Interpreting this filter?Terry Pinnell
+* Re: Interpreting this filter?Ralph Fox
|`* Re: Interpreting this filter?Terry Pinnell
| `* Re: Interpreting this filter?Ralph Fox
|  `- Re: Interpreting this filter?Terry Pinnell
`* Re: Interpreting this filter?Thomas Hochstein
 `- Re: Interpreting this filter?Jim H

1
Interpreting this filter?

<aqf3eg98tkct5j6cro3t8h3sr3nh932kuq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2635&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2635

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Interpreting this filter?
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 15:04:49 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 14:04 UTC

I'm thinking of adding this email filer, but could someone please
explain how to interpret {@?.+\.no} ?

[>Inbox] To: jsmith AND Any-Sender: {@?.+\.no}

Everything else from the abroad or domestic not specifically addressed
to you remains in >Unfiltered, which might be the default Inbox.
--------------------

Terry

Re: Interpreting this filter?

<h4m3eg90vtr2ft7p42nimdfmcuraqjk54a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2636&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2636

From: schwa...@delq.com (Barry Schwarz)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Interpreting this filter?
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 09:07:14 -0700
 by: Barry Schwarz - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 16:07 UTC

On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 15:04:49 +0100, Terry Pinnell
<me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:

>I'm thinking of adding this email filer, but could someone please
>explain how to interpret {@?.+\.no} ?

The expression will match a sequence of
one or zero '@' characters
followed by a sequence of
one or more characters (any characters)
followed by the sequence (not case sensitive)
'.no'

The above sequence can be anywhere in the address (or whichever field
it is applied to). It need not be at the beginning or end.

So things like
abc.no
and
@1234567890.NO
as well as
John Smith esq.notary

--
Remove del for email

Re: Interpreting this filter?

<vhs3egl2sc0hidtmqc20a0vpdhusr6cetn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2637&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2637

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 18:40:23 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 17:40 UTC

Barry Schwarz <schwarzb@delq.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 15:04:49 +0100, Terry Pinnell
><me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:
>
>>I'm thinking of adding this email filer, but could someone please
>>explain how to interpret {@?.+\.no} ?
>
>The expression will match a sequence of
> one or zero '@' characters
>followed by a sequence of
> one or more characters (any characters)
>followed by the sequence (not case sensitive)
> '.no'
>
>The above sequence can be anywhere in the address (or whichever field
>it is applied to). It need not be at the beginning or end.
>
>So things like
> abc.no
>and
> @1234567890.NO
>as well as
> John Smith esq.notary

Thanks Barry, understood.

Terry

Re: Interpreting this filter?

<afv3egp3478e45m5ccio3he6v5r29tdnv0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2640&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2640

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 06:40:11 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 18:40 UTC

On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 15:04:49 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> I'm thinking of adding this email filer, but could someone please
> explain how to interpret {@?.+\.no} ?
>
> [>Inbox] To: jsmith AND Any-Sender: {@?.+\.no}
>
> Everything else from the abroad or domestic not specifically addressed
> to you remains in >Unfiltered, which might be the default Inbox.
> --------------------
>
> Terry

It will match a string containing ‘.no’, except when the ‘.no’ only occurs
at the very beginning of the string. It is also case-insensitive, so it
will (for example) match the string <Chuck.Norris@hollywood.invalid>.

The Any-Sender: will look for a match in any of these headers:
From
Apparently-From
Sender
Reply-To
X-Sender

The ‘@?’ is worthless in this filter, and the ‘.+’ might as well be ‘.’.
That is,

Any-Sender: {@?.+\.no}

will match the same as

Any-Sender: {.\.no}

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Interpreting this filter?

<auof.20210704185403.1658@scatha.ancalagon.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2641&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2641

From: thh...@thh.name (Thomas Hochstein)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 18:54:06 +0200
 by: Thomas Hochstein - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 16:54 UTC

Terry Pinnell schrieb:

> I'm thinking of adding this email filer, but could someone please
> explain how to interpret {@?.+\.no} ?

I don't think that expression makes much sense.

It will match a (sender) header containing "\.no" somewhere with at
least one, but possibly many characters before that, and before them
an "@" sign - or no "@" sign.

Re: Interpreting this filter?

<k294egh2bfqo5t3u83s6fkqs9e9mdort6u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2642&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2642

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 22:17:09 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 21:17 UTC

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 15:04:49 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking of adding this email filer, but could someone please
>> explain how to interpret {@?.+\.no} ?
>>
>> [>Inbox] To: jsmith AND Any-Sender: {@?.+\.no}
>>
>> Everything else from the abroad or domestic not specifically addressed
>> to you remains in >Unfiltered, which might be the default Inbox.
>> --------------------
>>
>> Terry
>

>It will match a string containing ‘.no’, except when the ‘.no’ only occurs
>at the very beginning of the string. It is also case-insensitive, so it
>will (for example) match the string <Chuck.Norris@hollywood.invalid>.
>

>The Any-Sender: will look for a match in any of these headers:
> From
> Apparently-From
> Sender
> Reply-To
> X-Sender
>

>The ‘@?’ is worthless in this filter, and the ‘.+’ might as well be ‘.’.
>That is,
>
> Any-Sender: {@?.+\.no}
>
>will match the same as
>
> Any-Sender: {.\.no}

A very odd example IMO, from

Help > Email filters > Expression Example Help

"Example 1: You might use the following expression to automatically file
known mailing lists and company domains addressed specifically to you.

[>Inbox] To: jsmith AND Any-Sender: {@?.+\.no}

Everything else from the abroad or domestic not specifically addressed
to you remains in >Unfiltered, which might be the default Inbox.

Red part: This means "match if there is an @ (at symbol), or even if
there isn't one".

Terry

Re: Interpreting this filter?

<svb5eg9apflqp3c37vf0l843bd8b8eo539@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2644&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2644

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 19:28:24 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 07:28 UTC

On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 22:17:09 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> A very odd example IMO, from
>
> Help > Email filters > Expression Example Help
>
> "Example 1: You might use the following expression to automatically file
> known mailing lists and company domains addressed specifically to you.
>
> [>Inbox] To: jsmith AND Any-Sender: {@?.+\.no}
>
> Everything else from the abroad or domestic not specifically addressed
> to you remains in >Unfiltered, which might be the default Inbox.
>
> Red part: This means "match if there is an @ (at symbol), or even if
> there isn't one".
>
> Terry

That is only an outline. The key point is the boolean logic.
You still need to configure it for your specific mailing list.

Let us suppose emails forwarded to you from your mailing list all have
headers like these

To: <tpinnell@somewhere.invalid>

then you could use the following filter expression:

To: tpinnell AND Any-Sender: <lists@eckythump.uk>

But if emails forwarded to you from your mailing list all have
headers like these:

To: <lists@eckythump.uk>

then the above filter expression is not going to work because the
filter expression doesn't match the "To:" field.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Interpreting this filter?

<1726egt6cscu9r7ukeu6m1fikfpig0ik0c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2645&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2645

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 14:28:36 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 13:28 UTC

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 22:17:09 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>> A very odd example IMO, from
>>
>> Help > Email filters > Expression Example Help
>>
>> "Example 1: You might use the following expression to automatically file
>> known mailing lists and company domains addressed specifically to you.
>>
>> [>Inbox] To: jsmith AND Any-Sender: {@?.+\.no}
>>
>> Everything else from the abroad or domestic not specifically addressed
>> to you remains in >Unfiltered, which might be the default Inbox.
>>
>> Red part: This means "match if there is an @ (at symbol), or even if
>> there isn't one".
>>
>> Terry
>

>That is only an outline. The key point is the boolean logic.
>You still need to configure it for your specific mailing list.
>
>Let us suppose emails forwarded to you from your mailing list all have
>headers like these
>
> To: <tpinnell@somewhere.invalid>
>
>then you could use the following filter expression:
>
> To: tpinnell AND Any-Sender: <lists@eckythump.uk>
>

>But if emails forwarded to you from your mailing list all have
>headers like these:
>
> To: <lists@eckythump.uk>
>
>then the above filter expression is not going to work because the
>filter expression doesn't match the "To:" field.

Thanks Ralph, that's going to be very helpful.

Terry

Re: Interpreting this filter?

<c1h6eg911pc4mpt04ibrjqnm1i61fc6fku@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2647&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2647

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Jim H)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Sender: Jim Higgins <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 17:47:02 +0000
 by: Jim H - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 17:47 UTC

On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 18:54:06 +0200, in
<auof.20210704185403.1658@scatha.ancalagon.de>, Thomas Hochstein
<thh@thh.name> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell schrieb:
>
>> I'm thinking of adding this email filer, but could someone please
>> explain how to interpret {@?.+\.no} ?
>
>I don't think that expression makes much sense.

Neither do I.

>It will match a (sender) header containing "\.no" somewhere with at
>least one, but possibly many characters before that, and before them
>an "@" sign - or no "@" sign.

Assuming it's meant to delete all mail from
anyone@howevermanycharacters.no
meaning everything from an email address ending with the ".no" TLD,
I'd change it to the following

--
Jim H