Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 18:51:06 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
Subject: Studio revisit bombs
 by: bad sector - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 22:51 UTC

After a decade since the last time, I installed the latest UbuntuStudio again and while in the middle of setting up my desktop it became impossible to log in after a reboot. The error dialog not being resizable I took a few real pictures with a real camera and pasted them together @

https://i.imgur.com/xJ8e1wT.png

I have other systems so I can access the UbuntuStudio one from the outside, I also have a backup image made with dd that I can read. Is there any file I should look at? What other options avail?

The install was among the longest ones I ever did in a few years so I'm not all that keen on repeating it unless inevitable :-)

TIA

{ignore} ..Re: Studio revisit bombs

<3VCdnYXCS8ANCIf-nZ2dnZfqn_Vj4p2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2642&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2642

Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 21:23:06 -0400
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
Subject: {ignore} ..Re: Studio revisit bombs
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
 by: bad sector - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 01:23 UTC

On 9/7/22 18:51, bad sector wrote:

> After a decade since the last time, I installed the latest UbuntuStudio again and while in the middle of setting up my desktop it became impossible to log in after a reboot. The error dialog not being resizable I took a few real pictures with a real camera and pasted them together @
>
> https://i.imgur.com/xJ8e1wT.png
>
> I have other systems so I can access the UbuntuStudio one from the outside, I also have a backup image made with dd that I can read. Is there any file I should look at? What other options avail?
>
> The install was among the longest ones I ever did in a few years so I'm not all that keen on repeating it unless inevitable :-)

Reinstalled, posting from it.

Thunderbird had this in my Sent folder though it had NOT been sent
so here goes again with some additional (sorry if both show up somehow).

The install wasn't all THAT long, about 50 minutes. What SEEMED long was
the reading-in of the entire DVD without a single word on the dead-fish
screen to say boo.

--
Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish), Kernel=5.15.0-43-lowlatency
on x86_64, DM=sddm, DE=KDE, ST=x11,grub2, GPT, BIOS-boot

Re: {ignore} ..Re: Studio revisit bombs

<tfe82j$um7h$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2643&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2643

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: {ignore} ..Re: Studio revisit bombs
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 22:23:15 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 02:23 UTC

On 9/8/2022 9:23 PM, bad sector wrote:
> On 9/7/22 18:51, bad sector wrote:
>>
>> After a decade since the last time, I installed the latest UbuntuStudio again and while in the middle of setting up my desktop it became impossible to log in after a reboot. The error dialog not being resizable I took a few real pictures with a real camera and pasted them together @
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/xJ8e1wT.png
>>
>> I have other systems so I can access the UbuntuStudio one from the outside, I also have a backup image made with dd that I can read. Is there any file I should look at? What other options avail?
>>
>> The install was among the longest ones I ever did in a few years so I'm not all that keen on repeating it unless inevitable :-)
>

> Reinstalled, posting from it.
>
> Thunderbird had this in my Sent folder though it had NOT been sent
> so here goes again with some additional (sorry if both show up somehow).
>
> The install wasn't all THAT long, about 50 minutes. What SEEMED long was the reading-in of the entire DVD without a single word on the dead-fish screen to say boo.

On a kernel boot line, you can use

TORAM=yes # The yes part may be ignored, but it might work OK

docache # Some distros use a different keyword

This causes the DVD to be copied to RAM. The machine must be big enough,
for ISO_size plus 1.5GB or so. That should cover the space required.

By doing that, during installation, the seek time is zero.

Such a scheme works best, with high quality media. My Maxell disks
run at max read rate for a DVD. My Philips CMC are constantly
throwing errors, so the read rate drops to 1X and this is a disaster.

The Maxell are actually Ritek.

On a Canonical distro that requires computing checksums on every file,
the RAM mount again pays off for that phase of operation. You don't
really want to random seek a DVD and compute checksums like that,
right from the DVD. That would really suck.

if your machine only has 2GB of RAM (which happens), then you'd be
better off using a USB stick for the media in that case. Working
with an unbuffered DVD, is not for the impatient.

Paul

Re: {ignore} ..Re: Studio revisit bombs

<G9ydncC4K5QcYoH-nZ2dnZfqnPVj4p2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2680&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2680

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 17:19:42 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 21:19 UTC

On 9/8/22 22:23, Paul wrote:
> On 9/8/2022 9:23 PM, bad sector wrote:
>> On 9/7/22 18:51, bad sector wrote:
>>>
>>> After a decade since the last time, I installed the latest
>>> UbuntuStudio again and while in the middle of setting up my desktop
>>> it became impossible to log in after a reboot. The error dialog not
>>> being resizable I took a few real pictures with a real camera and
>>> pasted them together @
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/xJ8e1wT.png
>>>
>>> I have other systems so I can access the UbuntuStudio one from the
>>> outside, I also have a backup image made with dd that I can read. Is
>>> there any file I should look at? What other options avail?
>>>
>>> The install was among the longest ones I ever did in a few years so
>>> I'm not all that keen on repeating it unless inevitable :-)
>>

>> Reinstalled, posting from it.
>>
>> Thunderbird had this in my Sent folder though it had NOT been sent
>> so here goes again with some additional (sorry if both show up somehow).
>>
>> The install wasn't all THAT long, about 50 minutes. What SEEMED long
>> was the reading-in of the entire DVD without a single word on the
>> dead-fish screen to say boo.
>>

> On a kernel boot line, you can use
>
>    TORAM=yes         # The yes part may be ignored, but it might work OK
>
>    docache           # Some distros use a different keyword
>
> This causes the DVD to be copied to RAM. The machine must be big enough,
> for ISO_size plus 1.5GB or so. That should cover the space required.
>
> By doing that, during installation, the seek time is zero.

Yes, but the load time is 30 minutes :-)

UbuntuStudio installation 2022-09-08
05:05 start 2nd attempt, 1st one aborted due to dead-fish screen
:00 alert 3 times: failed to start Snap Daemon
:29 "X" cursor appears
:30 'arrow' cursor appears
:40 panel appears on top
:41 single click on "Install Ubuntu.." does nothing
:42 double-click starts installation
Alert: "system is not connected to the internet"
Selected 'replacing an existing partition' (#6)
user setup insists on user 'name', not just id
pre-installation summary (snapshot taken)
:50 actual install begins
:56 all done
Good reboot (default 10 sec delay is ridiculous)
Changed main launcher to 'Application Menu'
Reboot to tumbleweed
Do grub thing
Test boot UbuntuStudio: OK
Park installation record (folder) into partition root
Boot TW, make dd image: m6-ubs-ini-2022-09-07.dd
shakedown session 1
===================
0 tree created
under /home user link pointing to /0/dx/homes/user
edited /etc/fstab
there no swap

> Such a scheme works best, with high quality media. My Maxell disks
> run at max read rate for a DVD. My Philips CMC are constantly
> throwing errors, so the read rate drops to 1X and this is a disaster.
>
> The Maxell are actually Ritek.
>
> On a Canonical distro that requires computing checksums on every file,
> the RAM mount again pays off for that phase of operation. You don't
> really want to random seek a DVD and compute checksums like that,
> right from the DVD. That would really suck.
>
> if your machine only has 2GB of RAM (which happens), then you'd be
> better off using a USB stick for the media in that case. Working
> with an unbuffered DVD, is not for the impatient.
>
>    Paul

16 gb in my box, the installer is actually one function in the live
system so what was actually loading was the entire live system and it
loaded into ram (I think) which took a long time. The problem with that
was a total lack of feedback on screen, this should really be FIXED. At
first just a very regularly blinking DVD light so I thought the media
was dirty, I wiped it and rebooted. The second time around I waited it
out. Once loaded I clicked the installer which apparently just copied a
huge image to the tartget partition, I have NO IDEA when that image was
prepared or assembled but it only took about 5 minutes to install. Other
than this it's a fairly slick install, I'm not used to the partitioning
graphics though.

Re: {ignore} ..Re: Studio revisit bombs

<4QmdnS-3pfZX2rv-nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2785&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2785

From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 22:18:50 +0000
 by: bad sector - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 22:18 UTC

On Thu, 8 Sep 2022 22:23:15 -0400, Paul wrote:

> On 9/8/2022 9:23 PM, bad sector wrote:
>> On 9/7/22 18:51, bad sector wrote:
>>>
>>> After a decade since the last time, I installed the latest
>>> UbuntuStudio again and while in the middle of setting up my desktop it
>>> became impossible to log in after a reboot. The error dialog not being
>>> resizable I took a few real pictures with a real camera and pasted
>>> them together @
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/xJ8e1wT.png
>>>
>>> I have other systems so I can access the UbuntuStudio one from the
>>> outside, I also have a backup image made with dd that I can read. Is
>>> there any file I should look at? What other options avail?
>>>
>>> The install was among the longest ones I ever did in a few years so
>>> I'm not all that keen on repeating it unless inevitable :-)
>>

>> Reinstalled, posting from it.
>>
>> Thunderbird had this in my Sent folder though it had NOT been sent so
>> here goes again with some additional (sorry if both show up somehow).
>>
>> The install wasn't all THAT long, about 50 minutes. What SEEMED long
>> was the reading-in of the entire DVD without a single word on the
>> dead-fish screen to say boo.
>>

> On a kernel boot line, you can use
>
> TORAM=yes # The yes part may be ignored, but it might work
> OK
>
> docache # Some distros use a different keyword
>
> This causes the DVD to be copied to RAM. The machine must be big enough,
> for ISO_size plus 1.5GB or so. That should cover the space required.
>
> By doing that, during installation, the seek time is zero.
>
> Such a scheme works best, with high quality media. My Maxell disks run
> at max read rate for a DVD. My Philips CMC are constantly throwing
> errors, so the read rate drops to 1X and this is a disaster.
>
> The Maxell are actually Ritek.
>
> On a Canonical distro that requires computing checksums on every file,
> the RAM mount again pays off for that phase of operation. You don't
> really want to random seek a DVD and compute checksums like that,
> right from the DVD. That would really suck.
>
> if your machine only has 2GB of RAM (which happens), then you'd be
> better off using a USB stick for the media in that case. Working with an
> unbuffered DVD, is not for the impatient.
>
> Paul

I myself don't have much need for DVD's anymore but since the Live
installer also booted the machine this could be what it did, OR it just
read it all in manually so to speak before doing anything else.