From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Another Samsung battery problem
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 14:14:09 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 22:14 UTC

12" Note Pro blablabla SMP 900 tablet. REALLY good for reading tech
papers, you can actually understand equations. We have three. Hubby
took this one down yesterday and observed that the screen had been
dislodged from the innards and the battery had bulged out like a pillow.
Took the back off and thinking of replacing the battery. BUT I
contacted Samsung and, after the usual amount of chat were told that
they were sending a box so we could send it back for complimentary
repair/replace/whatever.

So it's not only their exploding Note7 that had problems. I guess we're
lucky.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Attention: All virgins report to Paradise immediately!!

Re: Another Samsung battery problem

<vbot0w4b1xuy.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26469&group=comp.mobile.android#26469

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Another Samsung battery problem
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 20:41:39 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 02:41 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

> 12" Note Pro blablabla SMP 900 tablet. REALLY good for reading tech
> papers, you can actually understand equations. We have three. Hubby
> took this one down yesterday and observed that the screen had been
> dislodged from the innards and the battery had bulged out like a
> pillow. Took the back off and thinking of replacing the battery. BUT
> I contacted Samsung and, after the usual amount of chat were told
> that they were sending a box so we could send it back for
> complimentary repair/replace/whatever.

To replace components in the charging circuit to prevent overheating the
battery by continuing to charge at top charge, or exceeding a max
currently load when charging from low. They need to put in different
components, and you're unlikely to get them in the aftermarket.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/samsung-finally-explains-galaxy-note-7-exploding-battery-mess-n710581

Contacts too close. That's their design defect. Bad batteries from a
supplier. Yep, just like when mobos were frying because of bad
capacitor electrolyte formula due to incomplete espionage. The product
maker can mandate the specs of the components of their products, but
they're still stuck with whatever the component maker actually delivers.

> So it's not only their exploding Note7 that had problems. I guess
> we're lucky.

A lithiums will get pregnant if overcharged, and the older the battery
the more likely it gets overcharged. The overcharging causes
outgassing. I had a Samsung Galaxy Prime (yeah, crappy model) and so
did my aunt. I ran my through charge cycling just about every day. She
left hers plugged in all the time while using it solely as a security
web cam monitor. One day she asks me to fix her phone. Yep, display
and innards were dislodged due to a pregnant battery.

I've noticed when up-time on a full charge was about half of when the
battery was installed, went to replace the battery, and found it getting
pregnant. No way the backplate was going back on after popping it off.
Thankfully the phones I've bought has user-replaceable batteries rather
than permanent batteries that require destructive deconstruction to get
at the battery (seal gets damaged, have to be proficient with
soldering). Alas, the choice of smartphones with user-replaceable
batteries have become more rare, because phone ownership is only about
2-3 years, so they get replaced before the batteries start getting too
pregnant. The enterprise level seems devoid of replaceable batteries.
Permanent batteries are larger but flatter allowing more compact phones,
but not all users rate thinness over serviceability. Also, besides
being user serviceable to replace a bulging or old (less capacity
charged) battery, you can carry spare batteries a lot easier than a
power bank.

Another problem with replaceable batteries is when they stopped getting
manufactured. As your phone gets older and a new battery is needed, you
start noticing the manufacture dates are also getting older.

I wouldn't mind having to dismantle a smartphone, break the seal, and
solder out the old battery to solder in a new one every 2-3 years, but
finding the seal kits seems impossible, so you surrender water
resistance to replace the old battery that is no longer giving you even
half the up-time as when new. Batteries are chemical. They wear out.

When up-time gets to around half of what it was for a new battery, I
start looking at the battery. Easy to do with removable batteries where
you just pop off the back cover. Much harder with permanent batteries
the the shell halves are glued together. I think the old trick is to
put the phone on a flat table to see if you can spin it. If it spins
easily and for several rotations, you have a pregnant batteries. If not
pregnant, the phone should be flat and have more friction on the table
to prevent spinning. Can't do that if you put an armor case on your
phone (which I do), so you have to remove the armor case to do the spin
test on a nude phone. Half the up-time is what triggers me to check.