From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Extending t he battery during the day
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 14:18:16 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 19:18 UTC

I know that it only saves a small amount of battery, but the Android
camera, and maybe the other ones, turn themselves off after a certain
time without being used. Because the camera has to power added circuits
in the phone so it uses added current.

Are there any other popular apps that use eventually-noticable amounts
of current that I could turn off manually? I would want to keep the map
and GPS, but I suppose bluetooth and wifi should be turned off, right?

Because there will be days that I am out for 12 hours with no way to
charge the phone (other than carrying an external battery jumper that is
heavy enough I won't actually carry it.)

Emergency Mode comes to mind. Does anyone use that when it's not an
emergency, just to save battery?

Re: Extending t he battery during the day

<f4a6ugd8e7qad7ccendsej5ufdskc9nmsh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26611&group=comp.mobile.android#26611

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Extending t he battery during the day
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 15:11:10 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 20:11 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 15 Jan 2022 14:18:16 -0500, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>I know that it only saves a small amount of battery, but the Android
>camera, and maybe the other ones, turn themselves off after a certain
>time without being used. Because the camera has to power added circuits
>in the phone so it uses added current.
>
>Are there any other popular apps that use eventually-noticable amounts
>of current that I could turn off manually? I would want to keep the map
>and GPS, but I suppose bluetooth and wifi should be turned off, right?
>
>Because there will be days that I am out for 12 hours with no way to
>charge the phone (other than carrying an external battery jumper that is
>heavy enough I won't actually carry it.)
>
>Emergency Mode comes to mind. Does anyone use that when it's not an
>emergency, just to save battery?

The Samsung phone has Emergency Mode as one of its 3 shutdown choices,
and the Xiaomi phone I had to buy has 4 shutdown choices, so until just
now I figured since 4 is more than 3, it had everything the Samsung has.

But it doesn't. The Xiaomi has shutdown, reboot, airplane, and silent.
It's 2 years newer than the Samsung.

I thought emergency mode would be universal. I guess not.

Xiaomi does seem to have this, which I knew nothing about:
MIUI's emergency SOS mode is capable of sending a text message
including our location to one or more contacts . With a quick press of
the power button 5 times, the message will be sent automatically.

To be able to use the emergency SOS mode, MIUI will require us to
establish at least one emergency contact that we have registered in our
Xiaomi phonebook. In addition, it will also allow us to automatically
send the call history , all in order to offer more clues in the face of
a dangerous situation.

This is a far cry from just saving battery life!!

Re: Extending t he battery during the day

<srvbmg$1psm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26619&group=comp.mobile.android#26619

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 20:44:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 20:44 UTC

On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 15:11:10 -0500, micky wrote:

> This is a far cry from just saving battery life!!

My free Samsung has such a huge battery (5 amp hours!) that I don't even
think about battery life - but - even so - I noticed that in a previous
message I thought you said you keep the GPS on full time? Is that right?

If so, I can only wonder why anyone would do something like that?

About the only time I need GPS to be on is if I want to geotag photos or if
I want to geotag voice recordings (Google Recorder does that for example),
or, of course, if I'm using a navigation or tracking app to create routes.

Otherwise, my battery hungry GPS radio is completely turned off.

The main reason I'm singling out GPS is that running the radio costs power.
My use model is GPS is always off unless I need it to be on.

Re: Extending t he battery during the day

<8bd6ugpjtao0as8v302llpeo7ovttkk9fl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26620&group=comp.mobile.android#26620

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 16:03:50 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 21:03 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 15 Jan 2022 20:44:01 -0000 (UTC), Andy
Burnelli <spam@nospam.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 15:11:10 -0500, micky wrote:
>
>> This is a far cry from just saving battery life!!
>
>My free Samsung has such a huge battery (5 amp hours!) that I don't even
>think about battery life - but - even so - I noticed that in a previous
>message I thought you said you keep the GPS on full time? Is that right?
>
>If so, I can only wonder why anyone would do something like that?
>
>About the only time I need GPS to be on is if I want to geotag photos or if
>I want to geotag voice recordings (Google Recorder does that for example),
>or, of course, if I'm using a navigation or tracking app to create routes.
>
>Otherwise, my battery hungry GPS radio is completely turned off.
>
>The main reason I'm singling out GPS is that running the radio costs power.
>My use model is GPS is always off unless I need it to be on.

I'm glad you did. I appreciate your merging in your mind one of my
posts with another. I hadn't thought about GPS so much. I've wanted it
on because when on vacation, I'm usually driving around looking at the
area, or even when walking I seem to want to know where I am, to decide
which way to turn. Of course when I'm in the car, I can keep the
battery charged, but having lost weight, I expect to be walking a lot
more, maybe 8 hours a day. But there will be times when I'm away from
a charger but not moving or I know where I am and I willl keep your
words in mind for those times and I'll turn off the GPS.

As to battery size, maybe that should go in reply to your next thread.

Re: Extending t he battery during the day

<srvgqv$1u8h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26622&group=comp.mobile.android#26622

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 22:11:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 22:11 UTC

On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 16:03:50 -0500, micky wrote:

> I hadn't thought about GPS so much.

It would be nice to know the _one_ thing that uses the _most_ battery that
could be left on all the time which then better should be turned off.

It could be the flashlight, for example, or the display as another example,
but I would think most people don't leave either of those on all the time.

But I would think plenty of people leave the GPS radio on, which, I believe,
is perhaps likely one of the biggest _common_ battery hogs on a smartphone.

> I've wanted it
> on because when on vacation, I'm usually driving around looking at the
> area, or even when walking I seem to want to know where I am, to decide
> which way to turn.

Nobody has to justify their use of GPS for navigation purposes.

> Of course when I'm in the car, I can keep the
> battery charged, but having lost weight, I expect to be walking a lot
> more, maybe 8 hours a day. But there will be times when I'm away from
> a charger but not moving or I know where I am and I willl keep your
> words in mind for those times and I'll turn off the GPS.

I ran a search for what apps tend to be the biggest battery hogs
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=what+are+smartphones+biggest+battery+hogs>

This first hit, surprisingly, said "Facebook" was the biggest battery hog.
*​Which Android apps are the biggest battery guzzlers?*
<https://www.zdnet.com/article/which-android-apps-are-the-biggest-battery-guzzlers/>
as per <https://www.avg.com/en/signal/app-reports-home>

This second hit was to the same report
*These are the apps that are killing your phone's battery life*
<https://bgr.com/general/android-battery-drain-apps-study/>

All these hits seem to be coming from AVG reports though
<https://www.avg.com/en/signal/top-10-battery-drainers-q3-2016>
<https://www.androidauthority.com/worst-performance-sapping-apps-564689/>
<https://www.digitalspy.com/tech/smartphones/a802629/these-are-the-apps-that-destroy-your-phones-battery-the-quickest/>

Hence I'm surprised as hell that Facebook makes the top slot while they
didn't even _mention_ navigation apps - so take my advice with a grain of
salt.

Maybe someone else can weigh in on why GPS isn't listed but Facebook is?

> As to battery size, maybe that should go in reply to your next thread.

One thing I loved about my Samsung Galaxy S3 was not only that the battery
was easily replaced, but that you could put a 7Amp Hour battery into the
thing simply by buying a cheap five dollar bigger backside.

It worked perfectly until the charging port finally gave up the ghost.

Re: Extending t he battery during the day

<orl7ugl11n0fle09cu9krk5lsfttma4hbh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26629&group=comp.mobile.android#26629

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 03:40:54 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 08:40 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 15 Jan 2022 22:11:44 -0000 (UTC), Andy
Burnelli <spam@nospam.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 16:03:50 -0500, micky wrote:
>
>> I hadn't thought about GPS so much.
>
>It would be nice to know the _one_ thing that uses the _most_ battery that
>could be left on all the time which then better should be turned off.

https://www.brickhousesecurity.com/gps-trackers/gps-accuracy/
"How GPS Tracking Works in Vehicles
Vehicle tracking systems function by using GPS signals emitted from the
device and received by the GPS satellite network. Once the satellites
determine the device’s position, the information is sent via a cellular
network to the cloud server which updates the device location on a map
displayed on a computer, tablet, or smartphone so the owner can monitor
it. "

So it seems this is sayign that the phone has to send signals not just
strong enough to reach cell towers, but to reach satellites!! High in
the sky!!

Not only that, I asked about this somewhere and was given the impression
that location calculation occurred in the device, not in the satellites,
and that made sense because then it would be distributed, each device
working on only one calculation. How many satellites are near NYC for
example. More than 3? More than 5? If there are 2 or 3 phones moving
around, just in NYC alone, 3 satellites can handle all the calculations
for all of them?

>It could be the flashlight, for example, or the display as another example,
>but I would think most people don't leave either of those on all the time.

I rarely use the flashlight and when I travel, and in the car at home, I
have another little led flashlight. I mentioned before how, for lack of
light, I broke my leg, and I don't want that again. (Although it
turned out well.)

As to the display, when learning about that Samsung emergency mode, it
mentioned dark mode, and I turned that on on both phones. But I haven't
used the phone yet. When I do I'll decide if I like it. I like the
lack of wallpaper on the phone. It made it hard to see the icons. I
don't remember having wallpaper before t he most recent update??

>But I would think plenty of people leave the GPS radio on, which, I believe,
>is perhaps likely one of the biggest _common_ battery hogs on a smartphone.
>
>> I've wanted it
>> on because when on vacation, I'm usually driving around looking at the
>> area, or even when walking I seem to want to know where I am, to decide
>> which way to turn.
>
>Nobody has to justify their use of GPS for navigation purposes.

:-)

>> Of course when I'm in the car, I can keep the
>> battery charged, but having lost weight, I expect to be walking a lot
>> more, maybe 8 hours a day. But there will be times when I'm away from
>> a charger but not moving or I know where I am and I willl keep your
>> words in mind for those times and I'll turn off the GPS.

I'll look at these tomorrow:

>I ran a search for what apps tend to be the biggest battery hogs
> <https://duckduckgo.com/?q=what+are+smartphones+biggest+battery+hogs>
>
>This first hit, surprisingly, said "Facebook" was the biggest battery hog.
> *​Which Android apps are the biggest battery guzzlers?*
> <https://www.zdnet.com/article/which-android-apps-are-the-biggest-battery-guzzlers/>
> as per <https://www.avg.com/en/signal/app-reports-home>
>
>This second hit was to the same report
> *These are the apps that are killing your phone's battery life*
> <https://bgr.com/general/android-battery-drain-apps-study/>
>
>All these hits seem to be coming from AVG reports though
> <https://www.avg.com/en/signal/top-10-battery-drainers-q3-2016>
> <https://www.androidauthority.com/worst-performance-sapping-apps-564689/>
> <https://www.digitalspy.com/tech/smartphones/a802629/these-are-the-apps-that-destroy-your-phones-battery-the-quickest/>
>
>Hence I'm surprised as hell that Facebook makes the top slot while they
>didn't even _mention_ navigation apps - so take my advice with a grain of
>salt.

Why would Facebook use up the battery? They mean when someone is up- or
down-loading? People do that more than 5 minutes a day?

>Maybe someone else can weigh in on why GPS isn't listed but Facebook is?
>
>> As to battery size, maybe that should go in reply to your next thread.
>
>One thing I loved about my Samsung Galaxy S3 was not only that the battery
>was easily replaced, but that you could put a 7Amp Hour battery into the
>thing simply by buying a cheap five dollar bigger backside.

Interesting. Hadn't heard fo that though I had a laptop that would take
a bigger battery. It looked like a tumor growing out its back