"History is a tool used by politicians to justify their intentions." -- Ted Koppel

computers / alt.os.linux / Accessing Windoes Shares from Linux

SubjectAuthor
* Accessing Windoes Shares from LinuxJeff Gaines
+- Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from LinuxJoerg Walther
+- Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from LinuxPaul
`* Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from LinuxJeff Gaines
 `* Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from LinuxPaul
  `* Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from LinuxJeff Gaines
   `* Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from LinuxJoerg Walther
    `* Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from LinuxJeff Gaines
     `* Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from LinuxJoerg Walther
      `* Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from LinuxJ.O. Aho
       `* Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from Linuxbad💽sector
        `- Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from LinuxJeff Gaines

1
Accessing Windoes Shares from Linux

<xn0ok96vh7ggq3i00b@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2662&group=alt.os.linux#2662

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: Accessing Windoes Shares from Linux
Date: 6 Apr 2024 14:56:27 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 14:56 UTC

As I had decided what I wanted on my new Linux box I thought I would do a
clean install (the original had some failed app installs) so I did, very
quick (with Ventoy).

I then discovered I couldn't browse my Windows shares :-(

I can get to the QNAP NAS and to the Internet but not to my main PC. I had
this first time round and I think I solved it by enabling SMB1 on the
Windows box but I tried so many things I can't be sure.

Samba is running on the Linux box and "smbclient -L host" does come up
with a list of shares but the Linux file manager can't find it.

I did it once but seem lost now, any hints/clues/advice please?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There are 3 types of people in this world. Those who can count, and those

Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from Linux

<pdp21jpfoumsppdlcouvp8ccth785pphpp@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2663&group=alt.os.linux#2663

From: joerg.wa...@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from Linux
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2024 17:10:40 +0200
 by: Joerg Walther - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 15:10 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

>I can get to the QNAP NAS and to the Internet but not to my main PC. I had
>this first time round and I think I solved it by enabling SMB1 on the
>Windows box but I tried so many things I can't be sure.
>
>Samba is running on the Linux box and "smbclient -L host" does come up
>with a list of shares but the Linux file manager can't find it.
>
>I did it once but seem lost now, any hints/clues/advice please?

Version mismatch. SMB1 is very old should no longer be used since it is
unsafe. Try to configure you windows box to SMB3.

-jw-

Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from Linux

<uurt8f$26aj5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2665&group=alt.os.linux#2665

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 12:29:02 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 16:29 UTC

On 4/6/2024 10:56 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> As I had decided what I wanted on my new Linux box I thought I would do a clean install (the original had some failed app installs) so I did, very quick (with Ventoy).
>
> I then discovered I couldn't browse my Windows shares :-(
>
> I can get to the QNAP NAS and to the Internet but not to my main PC. I had this first time round and I think I solved it by enabling SMB1 on the Windows box but I tried so many things I can't be sure.
>
> Samba is running on the Linux box and "smbclient -L host" does come up with a list of shares but the Linux file manager can't find it.
>
> I did it once but seem lost now, any hints/clues/advice please?

Since you managed to contact the QNAP NAS, that suggests
Linux is currently configured to do both SMBV1 and the others.

In Windows

Start : Run : control # Run control.exe

"Programs and Features" control panel

Windows Features (side link)

There are three tick boxes for SMBV1, one being automatic
removal and should not be ticked. The other two boxes
should be ticked.

We should have Alan (Pinterest) write up a procedure for you.
He's been through this enough times, to help others.

*******
Breadcrumbs:

bullwinkle@ZORO:~$ ls /etc/samba/smb.conf
/etc/samba/smb.conf

bullwinkle@ZORO:~$ ps aguwwwx | grep smbd
root 6817 0.0 0.8 96888 24320 ? Ss 18:17 0:00 /usr/sbin/smbd --foreground --no-process-group

bullwinkle@ZORO:~$ ps aguwwwx | grep nmbd

root 6807 0.0 0.5 80520 15360 ? Ss 18:17 0:00 /usr/sbin/nmbd --foreground --no-process-group

sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

workgroup = WORKGROUP # Now we add some settings. The setting already there, assumes WORKGROUP is the one.

server min protocol = NT1
server max protocol = smb3
client min protocol = NT1
client max protocol = smb3
client lanman auth = yes
ntlm auth = yes

Now, we add ourselves to some password thing,
using the same password as our account. Or so.

$ sudo smbpasswd -a bullwinkle

[sudo] password for bullwinkle:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Added user bullwinkle.

Paul

Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from Linux

<xn0okad4f8kl0cw00c@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2668&group=alt.os.linux#2668

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: 7 Apr 2024 09:39:35 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 09:39 UTC

On 06/04/2024 in message <xn0ok96vh7ggq3i00b@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>I then discovered I couldn't browse my Windows shares :-(

OK, hands up PEBKAC!

I was trying smb:///etc - too many slashes.

In my defence when I clicked on Go To Location in the file manage I think
it put three slashes in but I wouldn't put money on it :-(

Have DVDs playing, now got to get the AACS library on to play Blu Rays...

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The only thing necessary for evil to prevail is for good people to do or

Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from Linux

<uutqck$2nd0a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2669&group=alt.os.linux#2669

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 05:52:18 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 09:52 UTC

On 4/7/2024 5:39 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Have DVDs playing, now got to get the AACS library on to play Blu Rays...

At HD 1920x1080 maybe, probably not at 4K native.
Although you don't need 4K to enjoy a movie.

To be honest with you, I don't really know of any
USENETter who has a working BluRay. People are not
going to tell me about their bootleg ISO9660 collections,
but at least there's a slight hint when someone has
a 40TB RAID array :-) No one seems to pipe up when
a BD problem comes up. Maybe it's "just so easy"
they don't bother ?

I got the impression from some threads on the web,
that BluRay is just a pain in the ass, rather than
entertainment. For example, on a set top player with Ethernet
connection, you can find an old selection that
used to play on your box, the key was revoked
and the disc you paid for, no longer plays.
That's the BluRay story.

Paul

Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from Linux

<xn0okafsm8o5tgo00d@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2670&group=alt.os.linux#2670

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: 7 Apr 2024 11:19:45 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 11:19 UTC

On 07/04/2024 in message <uutqck$2nd0a$1@dont-email.me> Paul wrote:

>On 4/7/2024 5:39 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>

>>Have DVDs playing, now got to get the AACS library on to play Blu Rays...
>>

>At HD 1920x1080 maybe, probably not at 4K native.
>Although you don't need 4K to enjoy a movie.
>
>To be honest with you, I don't really know of any
>USENETter who has a working BluRay. People are not
>going to tell me about their bootleg ISO9660 collections,
>but at least there's a slight hint when someone has
>a 40TB RAID array :-) No one seems to pipe up when
>a BD problem comes up. Maybe it's "just so easy"
>they don't bother ?
>
>I got the impression from some threads on the web,
>that BluRay is just a pain in the ass, rather than
>entertainment. For example, on a set top player with Ethernet
>connection, you can find an old selection that
>used to play on your box, the key was revoked
>and the disc you paid for, no longer plays.
>That's the BluRay story.
>
> Paul

I am inclined to agree with you. I like tech so bought a couple of TV
series and films in Blu Ray but on my 32" TV I'm not sure I can see any
difference from a DVD. In fact they often appear as a letter-box image
unlike a DVD that usually manages to fill the screen.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists

Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from Linux

<8n251jplg183ufb45t13f6d4700lv0c2fv@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2672&group=alt.os.linux#2672

From: joerg.wa...@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 14:07:34 +0200
 by: Joerg Walther - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 12:07 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I like tech so bought a couple of TV
>series and films in Blu Ray but on my 32" TV I'm not sure I can see any
>difference from a DVD. In fact they often appear as a letter-box image
>unlike a DVD that usually manages to fill the screen.

Are these older series? If they weren't recorded on film but on magnetic
tape the resolution of these might be not as high as the BluRay is
capable of. You shouldn't see letter-boxes though, only pillar-boxes
(black on the left and right). Depending on your BluRay player it may be
possible to zoom/enlarge the picture.
For films letter-boxes on a TV screen is quite the usual when you
transfer a widescreen picture to 16:9.
And btw: I see a big difference between DVD and HD quality on my 65" TV.

-jw-

Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from Linux

<xn0okaicu8rq3er00e@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2673&group=alt.os.linux#2673

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: 7 Apr 2024 12:59:30 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 12:59 UTC

On 07/04/2024 in message
<8n251jplg183ufb45t13f6d4700lv0c2fv@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de> Joerg Walther
wrote:

>And btw: I see a big difference between DVD and HD quality on my 65" TV.

You have a much bigger one than me :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
By the time you can make ends meet they move the ends

Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from Linux

<33951j144e3iru3nijmeevro4la3abp6sj@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2674&group=alt.os.linux#2674

From: joerg.wa...@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 15:49:46 +0200
 by: Joerg Walther - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 13:49 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

>>And btw: I see a big difference between DVD and HD quality on my 65" TV.
>
>You have a much bigger one than me :-)

And it's OLED ;)

-jw-

Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from Linux

<l7foavFnevaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2675&group=alt.os.linux#2675

From: use...@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 16:19:11 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 14:19 UTC

On 07/04/2024 15.49, Joerg Walther wrote:
> Jeff Gaines wrote:
>
>>> And btw: I see a big difference between DVD and HD quality on my 65" TV.
>>
>> You have a much bigger one than me :-)
>
> And it's OLED ;)

Mine is black :P

Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from Linux

<PLadnfeK-brHfY77nZ2dnZfqnPoAAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2682&group=alt.os.linux#2682

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 08:17:30 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: forget...@_INVALID.net (bad💽sector)
 by: bad💽sector - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 12:17 UTC

On 4/7/24 10:19, J.O. Aho wrote:

>>> You have a much bigger one than me :-)
>>
>> And it's OLED ;)
>
> Mine is black :P

Me and mine are retired.

--
Some people cannot think outside the box, forever complaining that they
cannot find it.

Re: Accessing Windoes Shares from Linux

<xn0okc1v41egekb004@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2684&group=alt.os.linux#2684

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: 8 Apr 2024 16:03:33 GMT
References: <xn0ok96vh7ggq3i00b@news.individual.net> <xn0okad4f8kl0cw00c@news.individual.net> <uutqck$2nd0a$1@dont-email.me> <xn0okafsm8o5tgo00d@news.individual.net> <8n251jplg183ufb45t13f6d4700lv0c2fv@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de> <xn0okaicu8rq3er00e@news.individual.net> <33951j144e3iru3nijmeevro4la3abp6sj@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de> <l7foavFnevaU1@mid.individual.net> <PLadnfeK-brHfY77nZ2dnZfqnPoAAAAA@giganews.com>
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 16:03 UTC

On 08/04/2024 in message <PLadnfeK-brHfY77nZ2dnZfqnPoAAAAA@giganews.com>
bad💽sector wrote:

>On 4/7/24 10:19, J.O. Aho wrote:

>>>And it's OLED ;)
>>
>>Mine is black :P
>
>Me and mine are retired.

Tell me about it :-(

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
George Washington was a British subject until well after his 40th birthday.