America has been discovered before, but it has always been hushed up. -- Oscar Wilde

computers / comp.misc / Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.

SubjectAuthor
* Just when you think things cannot get sillier.Sylvia Else
+* Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.John
|+* Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.Computer Nerd Kev
||+* Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.Bob Eager
|||`* Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.Theo
||| `- Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.Bob Eager
||+- Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.Sylvia Else
||`* Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.Jim Jackson
|| +* Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.Bob Eager
|| |`- Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.Computer Nerd Kev
|| `* Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.Andy Burns
||  `* Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.Bob Eager
||   `* Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.Mike Spencer
||    `- Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.Spiros Bousbouras
|`* Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.Marco Moock
| `- Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.Scott Dorsey
+- Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.Blue-Maned_Hawk
`- Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.Bruce Horrocks

1
Just when you think things cannot get sillier.

<kgk3tgFp2feU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2661&group=comp.misc#2661

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 12:47:12 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 02:47 UTC

<https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/sites/default/files/ms040-2107en-f.pdf>

This is some random government admin form for Australia.

One's email address is to be entered in paragraph 6.

I have never before seen a requirement to enter an email address as two
separate fields, with the @ provided by the form.

I can see where this is headed. The next version of the form will expect
one to select the last element from a drop-down list containing ".com,
..net, etc." For sure, some suffix or other will get omitted from the
list, and the poor user will be stuck. [*]

Sylvia.

[*] Of course, this is a PDF form, one can print it out, scribble on it,
and let the government's admin people figure it out, but anyway.

Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.

<86lefvkkjl.fsf@building-m.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2662&group=comp.misc#2662

From: joh...@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net (John)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2023 05:13:34 +0000
 by: John - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 05:13 UTC

Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> writes:

> <https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/sites/default/files/ms040-2107en-f.pdf>
>
> This is some random government admin form for Australia.
>
> One's email address is to be entered in paragraph 6.
>
> I have never before seen a requirement to enter an email address as
> two separate fields, with the @ provided by the form.
>
> I can see where this is headed. The next version of the form will
> expect one to select the last element from a drop-down list containing
> ".com, .net, etc." For sure, some suffix or other will get omitted
> from the list, and the poor user will be stuck. [*]
>
> Sylvia.
>
> [*] Of course, this is a PDF form, one can print it out, scribble on
> it, and let the government's admin people figure it out, but anyway.

As someone whose email is <firstname>@<first initial+lastname>.net I've
had plenty of trouble with people who don't expect anything but
gmail/yahoo/whatever after I say "at", and also get slightly concerned
when I don't finish it all with "dot com". This has resulted in many
interesting manglings of my email, with the most memorable ending in
@aol.com long after AOL was a going concern.

Really it seems reasonable enough and the biggest problem I see is that
they implement it as two lines, rather than [ ]@[ ] all on one
line. The inability to enter a bang-path email will not be a source of
many calls to the help line, I wager.

I see no reason why your guessed-at next version would come about, least
of all because it would mess up people who prefer to print it out and
scribble.

John

Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.

<64a5188b@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2663&group=comp.misc#2663

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 5 Jul 2023 17:15:24 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 07:15 UTC

John <john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net> wrote:
> As someone whose email is <firstname>@<first initial+lastname>.net I've
> had plenty of trouble with people who don't expect anything but
> gmail/yahoo/whatever after I say "at", and also get slightly concerned
> when I don't finish it all with "dot com".

I usually try to spell mine out, which either goes smoothly or
causes so much confusion that by the end even I'm not sure what
my email address is anymore.

But worst by far though are websites that just say something like
"invalid email" or "spam detected" unless you use a common email
provider's domain (even an uncommon email provider isn't enough
for some websites).

> This has resulted in many
> interesting manglings of my email, with the most memorable ending in
> @aol.com long after AOL was a going concern.

To be fair, email addresses @aol.com are still in wide circulation.
Their DMARC reports come from yahoo.com.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.

<kgl0vaF13bfU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2664&group=comp.misc#2664

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 5 Jul 2023 11:03:06 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 11:03 UTC

On Wed, 05 Jul 2023 17:15:24 +1000, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:

> John <john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net> wrote:
>> As someone whose email is <firstname>@<first initial+lastname>.net I've
>> had plenty of trouble with people who don't expect anything but
>> gmail/yahoo/whatever after I say "at", and also get slightly concerned
>> when I don't finish it all with "dot com".
>
> I usually try to spell mine out, which either goes smoothly or causes so
> much confusion that by the end even I'm not sure what my email address
> is anymore.
>
> But worst by far though are websites that just say something like
> "invalid email" or "spam detected" unless you use a common email
> provider's domain (even an uncommon email provider isn't enough for some
> websites).

I am one of those who use addresses of the form 'company@example.com',
with 'company' being the name of the people to whom I am giving the
address.

A certain professional society got most upset at THEIR name being part of
my email address, implying I was running some kind of scam. To be fair,
they were OK once they finally understood.

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.

<kgl45nFtve7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2665&group=comp.misc#2665

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 21:57:43 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 11:57 UTC

On 05-July-23 5:15 pm, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> John <john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net> wrote:
>> As someone whose email is <firstname>@<first initial+lastname>.net I've
>> had plenty of trouble with people who don't expect anything but
>> gmail/yahoo/whatever after I say "at", and also get slightly concerned
>> when I don't finish it all with "dot com".
>
> I usually try to spell mine out, which either goes smoothly or
> causes so much confusion that by the end even I'm not sure what
> my email address is anymore.
>
> But worst by far though are websites that just say something like
> "invalid email" or "spam detected" unless you use a common email
> provider's domain (even an uncommon email provider isn't enough
> for some websites).

On the subject of alleged spam, I recently had an issue with the
government of the Northern Territory in Australia. They were bouncing my
emails on the basis that the server to which they would have to send
reply emails was alleged (falsely, BTW, since I control it) to be a
source of spam.

This was not the server that was sending them the email, so their
position seemed to me to be rather unreasonable. I did eventually get
them to whitelist the address. It took them a while to work out how.

Oh, and their initial suggested solution was that I send my emails from
a gmail address instead - i.e. one of the world's biggest sources of spam.

Sylvia.

Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.

<u841ln$i5qn$1@bluemanedhawk.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2666&group=comp.misc#2666

From: bluemane...@gmail.com (Blue-Maned_Hawk)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 11:19:19 -0400
 by: Blue-Maned_Hawk - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 15:19 UTC

On 7/4/23 22:47, Sylvia Else wrote:
> <https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/sites/default/files/ms040-2107en-f.pdf>
>
> This is some random government admin form for Australia.
>
> One's email address is to be entered in paragraph 6.
>
> I have never before seen a requirement to enter an email address as two
> separate fields, with the @ provided by the form.
>
> I can see where this is headed. The next version of the form will expect
> one to select the last element from a drop-down list containing ".com,
> .net, etc." For sure, some suffix or other will get omitted from the
> list, and the poor user will be stuck. [*]
>
> Sylvia.
>
> [*] Of course, this is a PDF form, one can print it out, scribble on it,
> and let the government's admin people figure it out, but anyway.
​A testament to the failure of education in computer literacy.
--
⚗︎ | /blu.mɛin.dʰak/ | shortens to "Hawk" | he/him/his/himself/Mr.
bluemanedhawk.github.io

Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.

<slrnuabn4f.51b.jj@iridium.wf32df>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2667&group=comp.misc#2667

From: jj...@franjam.org.uk (Jim Jackson)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 21:11:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim Jackson - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 21:11 UTC

On 2023-07-05, Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
> John <john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net> wrote:
>> As someone whose email is <firstname>@<first initial+lastname>.net I've
>> had plenty of trouble with people who don't expect anything but
>> gmail/yahoo/whatever after I say "at", and also get slightly concerned
>> when I don't finish it all with "dot com".
>
> I usually try to spell mine out, which either goes smoothly or
> causes so much confusion that by the end even I'm not sure what
> my email address is anymore.
>
> But worst by far though are websites that just say something like
> "invalid email" or "spam detected" unless you use a common email
> provider's domain (even an uncommon email provider isn't enough
> for some websites).

just so that this isn't seen as common - I have a personal domain and
email and have never had a problem with people or web sites questioning
my email address in 20 odd years.

Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.

<Lhn*BFxkz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2668&group=comp.misc#2668

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 05 Jul 2023 22:23:57 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 21:23 UTC

I've had that actually blocked. I think it was aliexpress@example.com being
rejected from registering, but ali@example.com is fine.

Theo

Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.

<kgm7j1F13bfU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2669&group=comp.misc#2669

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 5 Jul 2023 22:02:09 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 22:02 UTC

On Wed, 05 Jul 2023 22:23:57 +0100, Theo wrote:

> Bob Eager <news0009@eager.cx> wrote:
>> I am one of those who use addresses of the form 'company@example.com',
>> with 'company' being the name of the people to whom I am giving the
>> address.
>>
>> A certain professional society got most upset at THEIR name being part
>> of my email address, implying I was running some kind of scam. To be
>> fair, they were OK once they finally understood.
>
> I've had that actually blocked. I think it was aliexpress@example.com
> being rejected from registering, but ali@example.com is fine.

I was just told off over the phone, so I had a chance to respond!

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.

<kgm7kjF13bfU7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2670&group=comp.misc#2670

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 5 Jul 2023 22:02:59 GMT

On Wed, 05 Jul 2023 21:11:43 +0000, Jim Jackson wrote:

> On 2023-07-05, Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
>> John <john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net> wrote:
>>> As someone whose email is <firstname>@<first initial+lastname>.net
>>> I've had plenty of trouble with people who don't expect anything but
>>> gmail/yahoo/whatever after I say "at", and also get slightly concerned
>>> when I don't finish it all with "dot com".
>>
>> I usually try to spell mine out, which either goes smoothly or causes
>> so much confusion that by the end even I'm not sure what my email
>> address is anymore.
>>
>> But worst by far though are websites that just say something like
>> "invalid email" or "spam detected" unless you use a common email
>> provider's domain (even an uncommon email provider isn't enough for
>> some websites).
>
> just so that this isn't seen as common - I have a personal domain and
> email and have never had a problem with people or web sites questioning
> my email address in 20 odd years.

I used to get the TLD rejected, but it's been OK for some years now.

(it's .CX)

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.

<617b497a-6921-f324-e513-a98407432da2@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2671&group=comp.misc#2671

From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 23:20:05 +0100
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 22:20 UTC

On 05/07/2023 03:47, Sylvia Else wrote:
> <https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/sites/default/files/ms040-2107en-f.pdf>
>
> This is some random government admin form for Australia.
>
> One's email address is to be entered in paragraph 6.
>
> I have never before seen a requirement to enter an email address as two
> separate fields, with the @ provided by the form.
>
> I can see where this is headed. The next version of the form will expect
> one to select the last element from a drop-down list containing ".com,
> .net, etc." For sure, some suffix or other will get omitted from the
> list, and the poor user will be stuck. [*]
>
> Sylvia.
>
> [*] Of course, this is a PDF form, one can print it out, scribble on it,
> and let the government's admin people figure it out, but anyway.

Just to be contrary, the form seems perfectly reasonable to me.

It's obviously based on a paper form so including a printed @ to
encourage users to clearly separate the two parts of their email seems
no worse than including slashes to separate the elements of a date, or
brackets to separate the area code from the telephone number.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.

<64a5f9c9@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2672&group=comp.misc#2672

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 6 Jul 2023 09:16:26 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 23:16 UTC

Bob Eager <news0009@eager.cx> wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Jul 2023 21:11:43 +0000, Jim Jackson wrote:
>> On 2023-07-05, Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
>>> But worst by far though are websites that just say something like
>>> "invalid email" or "spam detected" unless you use a common email
>>> provider's domain (even an uncommon email provider isn't enough for
>>> some websites).
>>
>> just so that this isn't seen as common - I have a personal domain and
>> email and have never had a problem with people or web sites questioning
>> my email address in 20 odd years.
>
> I used to get the TLD rejected, but it's been OK for some years now.
>
> (it's .CX)

The ones that I've had rejected are .com and/or .net. Oracle Cloud
were one example, which was surprising because you'd think they'd
encounter a lot of people with email addresses at company domains.

One website fails registration with a very vague error unless I use
a particular address with the only relevant characteristic seeming
to be that it's longer than all my others. I've got no idea what's
going on there.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.

<kgn69dF9l5iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2673&group=comp.misc#2673

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 07:46:06 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 06:46 UTC

Jim Jackson wrote:

> just so that this isn't seen as common - I have a personal domain and
> email and have never had a problem with people or web sites questioning
> my email address in 20 odd years.

I've had cases where people assume I've given them an incorrect email
address, so they've "corrected it" e.g. I give them
theircompanyname@andyburns.uk and they send to
theircompanyname@andyburns.CO.uk

Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.

<kgnbakF13bfU8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2674&group=comp.misc#2674

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 6 Jul 2023 08:12:04 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 08:12 UTC

On Thu, 06 Jul 2023 07:46:06 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

> Jim Jackson wrote:
>
>> just so that this isn't seen as common - I have a personal domain and
>> email and have never had a problem with people or web sites questioning
>> my email address in 20 odd years.
>
> I've had cases where people assume I've given them an incorrect email
> address, so they've "corrected it" e.g. I give them
> theircompanyname@andyburns.uk and they send to
> theircompanyname@andyburns.CO.uk

Me too. In my case, bobeager.uk (for the website too, they say it's not
there because they use .co.uk)

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.

<u873im$10qtc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2675&group=comp.misc#2675

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 21:10:14 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 19:10 UTC

Am 05.07.2023 um 05:13:34 Uhr schrieb John:

> The inability to enter a bang-path email will not be a source of
> many calls to the help line, I wager.

I think they won't be able to deliver it - they most likely don't
support UUCP.

Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.

<u87ijv$nr8$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2676&group=comp.misc#2676

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 6 Jul 2023 23:26:55 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 23:26 UTC

In article <u873im$10qtc$1@dont-email.me>, Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:
>Am 05.07.2023 um 05:13:34 Uhr schrieb John:
>
>> The inability to enter a bang-path email will not be a source of
>> many calls to the help line, I wager.
>
>I think they won't be able to deliver it - they most likely don't
>support UUCP.

Just route it through inhp4.hp.com and let them worry about it.
--scott

Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.

<87r0pkci6g.fsf@enoch.nodomain.nowhere>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2678&group=comp.misc#2678

From: mds...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere (Mike Spencer)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 07 Jul 2023 04:08:39 -0300
Sender: mds@enoch.nodomain.nowhere
 by: Mike Spencer - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 07:08 UTC

Bob Eager <news0009@eager.cx> writes:

> On Thu, 06 Jul 2023 07:46:06 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Jim Jackson wrote:
>>
>>> just so that this isn't seen as common - I have a personal domain and
>>> email and have never had a problem with people or web sites questioning
>>> my email address in 20 odd years.
>>
>> I've had cases where people assume I've given them an incorrect email
>> address, so they've "corrected it" e.g. I give them
>> theircompanyname@andyburns.uk and they send to
>> theircompanyname@andyburns.CO.uk
>
> Me too. In my case, bobeager.uk (for the website too, they say it's not
> there because they use .co.uk)

I've had people *in Canada*, who notionally should know better, correct
my [user]@[hostname].ca to [user]@[hostname].com. [hostname].com
resolves and has an MX so the clue-challenged sender doesn't get any
clue back.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Just when you think things cannot get sillier.

<niD4hFFEeqqk1Yk4O@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2681&group=comp.misc#2681

From: spi...@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 10:56:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 10:56 UTC

On 07 Jul 2023 04:08:39 -0300
Mike Spencer <mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:

> Bob Eager <news0009@eager.cx> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 06 Jul 2023 07:46:06 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
> >> I've had cases where people assume I've given them an incorrect email
> >> address, so they've "corrected it" e.g. I give them
> >> theircompanyname@andyburns.uk and they send to
> >> theircompanyname@andyburns.CO.uk
> >
> > Me too. In my case, bobeager.uk (for the website too, they say it's not
> > there because they use .co.uk)
>
> I've had people *in Canada*, who notionally should know better, correct
> my [user]@[hostname].ca to [user]@[hostname].com.

I can't imagine what it must be like for someone who has a
[user]@[hostname].co email address. May as well give up on that.