From: paaroncl...@gmail.com (Paul A. Clayton)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: RISC-V adding 48-bit instructions
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 10:20:22 -0400
 by: Paul A. Clayton - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 14:20 UTC

John Dallman wrote:
[snip]

> As best I can deduce, ARM decided that it was worth addressing the
> embedded market and the general-purpose computing market separately, with
> their Cortex-M and Cortex-A lines. Cortex-A is heading towards being A64
> only, while Cortex-M remains T32.

ARM Cortex also has an R profile targeting real-time uses.

I have not looked closely at what the architectural differences
are, but I suspect they mainly relate to memory protection. (I
vaguely recall reading that an R processor could be included in
a mixed system that used paging in a virtualization layer.) The
R profile did not adopt the 64-bit architecture when it advanced
to Architecture Version 8, but I do not think there is much
preventing the adoption of a minor variant of the AArch64.

(Maybe I should look at how things stand now; the most recent
document I have about R profile is a white paper from 2013.)

Re: RISC-V adding 48-bit instructions

<memo.20220716161439.11788E@jgd.cix.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=26658&group=comp.arch#26658

From: jgd...@cix.co.uk (John Dallman)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 16:14 +0100 (BST)
 by: John Dallman - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 15:14 UTC

In article <tauhf6$3d4qc$2@dont-email.me>, paaronclayton@gmail.com (Paul
A. Clayton) wrote:

> The [ARM Cortex-]R profile did not adopt the 64-bit architecture
> when it advanced to Architecture Version 8, but I do not think
> there is much preventing the adoption of a minor variant of the
> AArch64.

The first 64-bit ARM Cortex-R processor was announced in September 2020,
in the Cortex-R82.

John