OK, enough hype. -- Larry Wall in the perl man page

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Re: Deleting large number of filters?

SubjectAuthor
* Deleting large number of filters?Terry Pinnell
+- Re: Deleting large number of filters?Ralph Fox
`* Re: Deleting large number of filters?Jim H
 `* Re: Deleting large number of filters?Merle
  `* Re: Deleting large number of filters?Barry Schwarz
   +* Re: Deleting large number of filters?Merle
   |`* Re: Deleting large number of filters?Dennis Lee Bieber
   | `- Re: Deleting large number of filters?Merle
   `- Re: Deleting large number of filters?Thomas Hochstein

1
Deleting large number of filters?

<jks3egdmsh1rqjrpv1i7abrck2prtbb4v5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2638&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2638

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Deleting large number of filters?
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 18:45:47 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 17:45 UTC

To simplify isolation of some problems I'd like to delete about 250 old
email filters in BULK. I've accumulated most of them over decades. But
is there a way to restore them? When I get time I hope to prune them
methodically. I see no obvious way to do it in the UI, but is there
perhaps a file or folder I can backup?

Terry

Re: Deleting large number of filters?

<qju3egd8oa2hhj60jmde7f3trpv9lpicl4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2639&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2639

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Deleting large number of filters?
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 06:24:08 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 18:24 UTC

On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 18:45:47 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> To simplify isolation of some problems I'd like to delete about 250 old
> email filters in BULK. I've accumulated most of them over decades. But
> is there a way to restore them? When I get time I hope to prune them
> methodically. I see no obvious way to do it in the UI, but is there
> perhaps a file or folder I can backup?

For _email_ filters, these _four_ files:

MFILTERS.IDX
MFILTERS.DAT
MWORDS.IDX
MWORDS.DAT

For restoring, you do not actually need to restore MWORDS.IDX and
MWORDS.DAT. Just restore MFILTERS.IDX and MFILTERS.DAT and delete the
two files MWORDS.IDX and MWORDS.DAT in your data folder. Agent will
rebuild MWORDS.IDX and MWORDS.DAT to match the restored MWORDS.IDX and
MWORDS.DAT.

Note that restoring will put you back to where you were. Any new filters
you added after the back-up will be lost.

____
REF: Help >> Index >> Agent's directories and data files

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Deleting large number of filters?

<irg6eg9oulbe6b5a99bfp5e1b33h3otdki@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2646&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2646

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Jim H)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Sender: Jim Higgins <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 17:38:56 +0000
 by: Jim H - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 17:38 UTC

On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 18:45:47 +0100, in
<jks3egdmsh1rqjrpv1i7abrck2prtbb4v5@4ax.com>, Terry Pinnell
<me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:

>To simplify isolation of some problems I'd like to delete about 250 old
>email filters in BULK. I've accumulated most of them over decades. But
>is there a way to restore them? When I get time I hope to prune them
>methodically. I see no obvious way to do it in the UI, but is there
>perhaps a file or folder I can backup?

If simply disabling the filter is an acceptable alternative to
completely deleting it, there's a DISABLE checkbox near the top of
every filter dialog.
--
Jim H

Re: Deleting large number of filters?

<o5h6egl09qermul1n2ivbkjec06f7tmguj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2648&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2648

From: Mer...@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 12:48:22 -0500
 by: Mer...@invalid.com - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 17:48 UTC

On Mon, 05 Jul 2021 17:38:56 +0000, Jim H <invalid@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 18:45:47 +0100, in
><jks3egdmsh1rqjrpv1i7abrck2prtbb4v5@4ax.com>, Terry Pinnell
><me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:
>
>>To simplify isolation of some problems I'd like to delete about 250 old
>>email filters in BULK. I've accumulated most of them over decades. But
>>is there a way to restore them? When I get time I hope to prune them
>>methodically. I see no obvious way to do it in the UI, but is there
>>perhaps a file or folder I can backup?
>

>If simply disabling the filter is an acceptable alternative to
>completely deleting it, there's a DISABLE checkbox near the top of
>every filter dialog.

Exactly.

I date my Subject: filters because Agent 1.9x versions came up with
problem where the timer for how long the filter exists no longer
works. I do this instead: Subject: Dorky OT Nonsense or july 5 xxxx.

The x's make sure the filter doesn't delete posts with such a date as
July 5.

I go through my filters each month and DEL the ones which are a month
or so old. Keeps the filter page much more readable than having tons
and tons of old DISABLED filters still on it.

Re: Deleting large number of filters?

<c8t6egpjliqcogl5c8u8lrk4mn1dttoj3f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2652&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2652

From: schwa...@delq.com (Barry Schwarz)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 14:13:21 -0700
 by: Barry Schwarz - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 21:13 UTC

On Mon, 05 Jul 2021 12:48:22 -0500, Merle@invalid.com wrote:

>I date my Subject: filters because Agent 1.9x versions came up with
>problem where the timer for how long the filter exists no longer
>works. I do this instead: Subject: Dorky OT Nonsense or july 5 xxxx.
>
>The x's make sure the filter doesn't delete posts with such a date as
>July 5.
>
>I go through my filters each month and DEL the ones which are a month
>or so old. Keeps the filter page much more readable than having tons
>and tons of old DISABLED filters still on it.

Ralph Fox published a fix for the filter expiration problem on
9Mar2017. The technical details are specific to Agent 8. Two days
later, I published an update to make his fix work for Agent 4.

With a hex file editor, you should be able to extrapolate the data in
the two messages and fix the issue in Agent 1.0x.

--
Remove del for email

Re: Deleting large number of filters?

<bt67eg58oe0h4eapam0nt9rqrv6ksvcq0r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2654&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2654

From: Mer...@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 18:58:37 -0500
 by: Mer...@invalid.com - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 23:58 UTC

On Mon, 05 Jul 2021 14:13:21 -0700, Barry Schwarz <schwarzb@delq.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Jul 2021 12:48:22 -0500, Merle@invalid.com wrote:
>
>>I date my Subject: filters because Agent 1.9x versions came up with
>>problem where the timer for how long the filter exists no longer
>>works. I do this instead: Subject: Dorky OT Nonsense or july 5 xxxx.
>>
>>The x's make sure the filter doesn't delete posts with such a date as
>>July 5.
>>
>>I go through my filters each month and DEL the ones which are a month
>>or so old. Keeps the filter page much more readable than having tons
>>and tons of old DISABLED filters still on it.
>
>Ralph Fox published a fix for the filter expiration problem on
>9Mar2017. The technical details are specific to Agent 8. Two days
>later, I published an update to make his fix work for Agent 4.
>
>With a hex file editor, you should be able to extrapolate the data in
>the two messages and fix the issue in Agent 1.0x.

I wouldn't know what a HEX EDITOR was if I saw one on a supermarket
shelf for sale in a 3 foot box bearing a 2 foot label saying HEX
EDITOR.

Re: Deleting large number of filters?

<ar77egt5a6ea9rs97ken94sg1asti2vip2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2655&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2655

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 20:10:49 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 00:10 UTC

On Mon, 05 Jul 2021 18:58:37 -0500, Merle@invalid.com declaimed the
following:

https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Deleting large number of filters?

<bj87egd31ej11510ou4v8r6ibuh6n6792q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2657&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2657

From: Mer...@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 19:36:39 -0500
 by: Mer...@invalid.com - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 00:36 UTC

On Mon, 05 Jul 2021 20:10:49 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber
<wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Jul 2021 18:58:37 -0500, Merle@invalid.com declaimed the
>following:
>

>>I wouldn't know what a HEX EDITOR was if I saw one on a supermarket
>>shelf for sale in a 3 foot box bearing a 2 foot label saying HEX
>>EDITOR.
>
>https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

Oh, yeah..any time I need a doorstop I'll try using that stuff on my
comp. Stuff like that in the hands of the Ignorant, or those in
denial of their ignorance, can be disastrous.

Re: Deleting large number of filters?

<auof.20210706105059.1710@scatha.ancalagon.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2673&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2673

From: thh...@thh.name (Thomas Hochstein)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2021 10:51:00 +0200
 by: Thomas Hochstein - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 08:51 UTC

Barry Schwarz schrieb:

> Ralph Fox published a fix for the filter expiration problem on
> 9Mar2017. The technical details are specific to Agent 8.

That's <76ssbcdthqdhustaq0v0spbj5oa3ohd3gd@4ax.com> in
alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified or
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified/c/IkwfYsUL5Sg>,
for the so inclined.

Thanks for the reminder, that's very helpful; I wasn't around here in
2017. :)

-thh