A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of thinking.

devel / comp.fonts / Re: how to attribute authorship of pangrams?

SubjectAuthor
* how to attribute authorship of pangrams?Sam Riseman
`* Re: how to attribute authorship of pangrams?David E. Ross
 `- Re: how to attribute authorship of pangrams?Sam Riseman

1
how to attribute authorship of pangrams?

<7d5933b7-cb80-4b27-bf50-7d98d404b6afn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=26&group=comp.fonts#26

Newsgroups: comp.fonts
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 06:53:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: how to attribute authorship of pangrams?
From: samrise...@gmail.com (Sam Riseman)
 by: Sam Riseman - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 13:53 UTC

Hello comp.fonts!

I have started a new comic inspired by pangrams. It all started as a lark when I illustrated "The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog." I fell in love with the quirky, surreal, comical sentences and have been illustrating them since.

My first non-family subscriber is a calligrapher and asked my permission to re-use "Fix problem quickly with galvanized jets." I said, "Sure! Have at it! I just found it on the interwebs!". And then it hit me that I never sought permission for MY use of the pangram.

So, how do I credit authors when I can't find authorship? Should I just not use them? Is there anyone on this list who might know something about the authors of these gems? I see David Lemon referenced as the author of many, but do not know how to reach out to him.

Best wishes to all, to be honest I'm not even sure if this group is read anymore, but here's hoping.

Sam

Re: how to attribute authorship of pangrams?

<u81buj$4gtr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=27&group=comp.fonts#27

From: nob...@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: comp.fonts
Subject: Re: how to attribute authorship of pangrams?
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 07:56:16 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 14:56 UTC

On 7/4/2023 6:53 AM, Sam Riseman wrote:
> Hello comp.fonts!
>
> I have started a new comic inspired by pangrams. It all started as a lark when I illustrated "The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog." I fell in love with the quirky, surreal, comical sentences and have been illustrating them since.
>
> My first non-family subscriber is a calligrapher and asked my permission to re-use "Fix problem quickly with galvanized jets." I said, "Sure! Have at it! I just found it on the interwebs!". And then it hit me that I never sought permission for MY use of the pangram.
>
> So, how do I credit authors when I can't find authorship? Should I just not use them? Is there anyone on this list who might know something about the authors of these gems? I see David Lemon referenced as the author of many, but do not know how to reach out to him.
>
> Best wishes to all, to be honest I'm not even sure if this group is read anymore, but here's hoping.
>
> Sam

According to Wikipedia, "The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog." was
first used in 1885. If it was ever copyrighted, the copyright has long
expired.

The Wikipedia article at <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangram> gives
quite a number of pangrams in several languages without attribution.
However, it also references a number of publications that either
describe pangrams or contain collections of them. You might try looking
at some of those sources to see how they handle your question.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

For 30 years, I was a software test engineer, testing the
software used by the U.S. military to operate its space
satellites. The missions of most of those satellites were
highly classified, so I had a very high security clearance.
If I were convicted of what Donald Trump has been accused,
I would have been sentenced to decades in prison. Thus, I
indeed support the concept of equal treatment under the law.

Re: how to attribute authorship of pangrams?

<0ec6ada7-391e-4ebc-b116-1ef30e981a18n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=28&group=comp.fonts#28

Newsgroups: comp.fonts
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 08:01:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: samrise...@gmail.com (Sam Riseman)
 by: Sam Riseman - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 15:01 UTC

On Tuesday, July 4, 2023 at 9:56:21 AM UTC-5, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 7/4/2023 6:53 AM, Sam Riseman wrote:
> > Hello comp.fonts!
> >
> > I have started a new comic inspired by pangrams. It all started as a lark when I illustrated "The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog." I fell in love with the quirky, surreal, comical sentences and have been illustrating them since.
> >
> > My first non-family subscriber is a calligrapher and asked my permission to re-use "Fix problem quickly with galvanized jets." I said, "Sure! Have at it! I just found it on the interwebs!". And then it hit me that I never sought permission for MY use of the pangram.
> >
> > So, how do I credit authors when I can't find authorship? Should I just not use them? Is there anyone on this list who might know something about the authors of these gems? I see David Lemon referenced as the author of many, but do not know how to reach out to him.
> >
> > Best wishes to all, to be honest I'm not even sure if this group is read anymore, but here's hoping.
> >
> > Sam
> >
> According to Wikipedia, "The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog." was
> first used in 1885. If it was ever copyrighted, the copyright has long
> expired.
>
> The Wikipedia article at <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangram> gives
> quite a number of pangrams in several languages without attribution.
> However, it also references a number of publications that either
> describe pangrams or contain collections of them. You might try looking
> at some of those sources to see how they handle your question.
>
> --
> David E. Ross
> <http://www.rossde.com/>
>
> For 30 years, I was a software test engineer, testing the
> software used by the U.S. military to operate its space
> satellites. The missions of most of those satellites were
> highly classified, so I had a very high security clearance.
> If I were convicted of what Donald Trump has been accused,
> I would have been sentenced to decades in prison. Thus, I
> indeed support the concept of equal treatment under the law.

Thanks very kindly for your response! I would imagine many would have evolved long ago, but I don't want to step on toes.