Did you know that for the price of a 280-Z you can buy two Z-80's? -- P. J. Plauger

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / BUG: Wrong keyboard

SubjectAuthor
* BUG: Wrong keyboardpinnerite
+* Re: BUG: Wrong keyboardPaul
|`* Re: BUG: Wrong keyboardNP2
| `* Re: BUG: Wrong keyboardPaul
|  `- Re: BUG: Wrong keyboardNP2
+- Re: BUG: Wrong keyboardRalph Fox
+- Re: BUG: Wrong keyboardEdmund
`- Re: BUG: Wrong keyboardpinnerite

1
BUG: Wrong keyboard

<20220117173547.d2e6b9c6f1f36d288696a4a2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2700&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2700

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: BUG: Wrong keyboard
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 17:35:47 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 17:35 UTC

The only language I had set in Mint 20.3 was English (International).
Mint still came up with US English.

$ sudo setxkbmap gb

Did work but only until the next reboot.

I have now added it to the start-up group bug clearly this is a bug and ought to be fixed.

How do i report it?

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-95-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: BUG: Wrong keyboard

<ss5fnb$dd4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2712&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2712

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: BUG: Wrong keyboard
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 23:29:24 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 04:29 UTC

On 1/17/2022 12:35 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> The only language I had set in Mint 20.3 was English (International).
> Mint still came up with US English.
>
> $ sudo setxkbmap gb
>
> Did work but only until the next reboot.
>
> I have now added it to the start-up group bug clearly this is a bug and ought to be fixed.
>
> How do i report it?

Google Fu. You know that half the world would be
up in arms if this was broken, so there has to be
a configuration step you are missing.

I don't know if this is going to work, but it sure looks authentic.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/342066/how-to-permanently-configure-keyboard

sudo nano /etc/default/keyboard <=== text edit a config file, as root

XKBMODEL="pc105" <=== likely in the file, right now
XKBLAYOUT="gb" <=== see what the cat dragged in here, and fix it
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS=""

On rare occasions of course, the file could be empty,
implying a config step died, and then, that would be
a bug worthy of reporting. If the file is half-populated,
it is still worth reporting, but with a little less drama
please :-) Something made it foul up, maybe something about
the specific keyboard. Use lsusb or similar, to collect
hardware data, as best you can, and post that with the
bug report. I've never had a keyboard mis-configured here,
just as an example. I do have some items I could use as
a trap, such as a Griffin adapter for an ADB bus Macintosh
keyboard. Surprisingly, to date, no OS has ever wobbled
while using that. It's amazing how "standard" the HID
class is.

Typically, there are three keyboard model declarations,
and pc105 is one of those. There could be model declarations
for keyboards with PF keys and keyboards without PF keys,
as an example. Or something for keyboards without a
numeric keypad.

Computers also work with multiple keyboards attached, and I
have no idea how that file tracks such a development.

HTH,
Paul

Re: BUG: Wrong keyboard

<qoicugdg694gst72cub3b68q3nih1eeqa2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2714&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2714

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 18:17:01 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 05:17 UTC

On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 17:35:47 +0000, pinnerite wrote:

> Subject: BUG: Wrong keyboard

> The only language I had set in Mint 20.3 was English (International).
> Mint still came up with US English.

Setting the language is *not* the same as setting the keyboard.

To set the keyboard,
1. Go to "System Settings";
2. Scroll down to the "Hardware" section and open "Keyboard";
3. Then select the "Layouts" tab.
The left pane will show your current keyboard or keyboards.

The keyboard you want is called "English (UK)". If it is not
listed, click the "+" sign at the bottom of the left panel and
add it.

screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=24_linux_mint_keyboard_selection.png>

> $ sudo setxkbmap gb
>
> Did work but only until the next reboot.

Evidently setxkbmap is for *temporarily* changing the keyboard,
not for *permanently* changing the keyboard.

To *permanently* change the keyboard, use
System Settings >> Keyboard >> Layout.

> I have now added it to the start-up group bug clearly this is a bug and ought to be fixed.

Clearly not. Wrong tool.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: BUG: Wrong keyboard

<ss5vq9$6fr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2715&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2715

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 10:04:08 +0100
 by: Edmund - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 09:04 UTC

On 1/17/22 6:35 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> The only language I had set in Mint 20.3 was English (International).
> Mint still came up with US English.
>
> $ sudo setxkbmap gb
>
> Did work but only until the next reboot.
>
> I have now added it to the start-up group bug clearly this is a bug and ought to be fixed.
>
> How do i report it?

I think Ralph Fox gave you the solution, that aside, they made filing
bugs next to impossible!
It's easier to learn to code and fix it yourself.
Even if you manage to file a bug, nobody cares.
This is not a joke!

Edmund

--
“The further a society drift from the truth,
the more it will hate those who speak it”

George Orwell

Re: BUG: Wrong keyboard

<ssc8rt$1cqt4$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2745&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2745

From: NP2...@somewhere.invalid (NP2)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 19:15:25 +0100
 by: NP2 - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 18:15 UTC

Paul wrote:
> On 1/17/2022 12:35 PM, pinnerite wrote:
>> The only language I had set in Mint 20.3 was English (International).
>> Mint still came up with US English.
>>
>> $ sudo setxkbmap gb
>>
>> Did work but only until the next reboot.
>>
>> I have now added it to the start-up group bug clearly this is a bug
>> and ought to be fixed.
>>
>> How do i report it?
>>

> Google Fu. You know that half the world would be
> up in arms if this was broken, so there has to be
> a configuration step you are missing.

The bug is really there, at least in the Xfce version of Mint. Try
running Linux Mint 20.2 Uma Xfce 4.16.0 in a live session. Open the
keyboard settings, tab layout, and add "Belgian", then remove the US
English so that Belgian remains the only layout.

Close the settings and try it by typing something somewhere, the letter
q should become an a if the change was succesful. You'll notice that
nothing has changed, it is still US qwerty instead of BE azerty.

Check the settings again: it correctly shows only Belgian, no US
English. Except that it doesn't change the layout at all and remains on
US English.

That's a bug, not a missing configuration step IMHO.

Re: BUG: Wrong keyboard

<sscqtj$p9d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2751&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2751

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 18:23:12 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 23:23 UTC

On 1/20/2022 1:15 PM, NP2 wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> On 1/17/2022 12:35 PM, pinnerite wrote:
>>> The only language I had set in Mint 20.3 was English (International).
>>> Mint still came up with US English.
>>>
>>> $ sudo setxkbmap gb
>>>
>>> Did work but only until the next reboot.
>>>
>>> I have now added it to the start-up group bug clearly this is a bug and ought to be fixed.
>>>
>>> How do i report it?
>>>

>> Google Fu. You know that half the world would be
>> up in arms if this was broken, so there has to be
>> a configuration step you are missing.
>
> The bug is really there, at least in the Xfce version of Mint. Try running Linux Mint 20.2 Uma Xfce 4.16.0 in a live session. Open the keyboard settings, tab layout, and add "Belgian", then remove the US English so that Belgian remains the only layout.
>
> Close the settings and try it by typing something somewhere, the letter q should become an a if the change was succesful. You'll notice that nothing has changed, it is still US qwerty instead of BE azerty.
>
> Check the settings again: it correctly shows only Belgian, no US English. Except that it doesn't change the layout at all and remains on US English.
>
> That's a bug, not a missing configuration step IMHO.

Did /etc/default/keyboard get populated ?

What you would want, is some sort of command that
would dump the current settings. For example, I would
want to see the GUI and some file, match on values.

There's no particular reason for a distro to be opening
up some package like that and modifying it. It the keyboard
routines have been working for ten or fifteen years, you'd
leave it alone. It would only be, if you could find evidence
that Poettering had been at it, that there would be an incentive
for fresh bugs to be there.

I don't know how a contributor would score any ego points,
by breaking keyboard handling. There has to be a simpler
explanation.

Paul

Re: BUG: Wrong keyboard

<ssgio9$7c0$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2774&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2774

From: NP2...@somewhere.invalid (NP2)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:28:41 +0100
 by: NP2 - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 09:28 UTC

Paul wrote:

> There's no particular reason for a distro to be opening
> up some package like that and modifying it. It the keyboard
> routines have been working for ten or fifteen years, you'd
> leave it alone.

What? That almost sounds like there really is something like a "finished
software product". Sounds unreal in this day and age where every piece
of technology continually wants to update, upgrade, patch, fix and
modify itself. :)

It would only be, if you could find evidence
> that Poettering had been at it, that there would be an incentive
> for fresh bugs to be there.
>
> I don't know how a contributor would score any ego points,
> by breaking keyboard handling. There has to be a simpler
> explanation.

The only other explanation I can think of is a faulty iso. To be sure, I
downloaded Mint 20.3 Xfce and that one worked correctly. Tried 20.2 Xfce
again and the "bug" came back. So I guess it's safe to say there really
was a problem with the 20.2 Xfce iso.

Re: BUG: Wrong keyboard

<20220127134247.fbbe47cf880755d20cb45e8a@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2809&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2809

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 13:42:47 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 13:42 UTC

pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> The only language I had set in Mint 20.3 was English (International).
> Mint still came up with US English.
>
> $ sudo setxkbmap gb
>
> Did work but only until the next reboot.
>
> I have now added it to the start-up group bug clearly this is a bug and ought to be fixed.
>
> How do i report it?
> --

I have been concentrating on eliminating issues with gimp and mythtv.
Both are now resolved and with them, seemingly the keyboard issue.

No. I cannot understand it either but there have been masses of updates since first highlighting it.

ATB Alan