Support Mental Health. Or I'll kill you.

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Own posts missing!

SubjectAuthor
* Own posts missing!Lucretia Borgia
`* Re: Own posts missing!Ralph Fox
 +* Re: Own posts missing!Ralph Fox
 |`- Re: Own posts missing!Lucretia Borgia
 `* Re: Own posts missing!pete
  `- Re: Own posts missing!Lucretia Borgia

1
Own posts missing!

<1p4jeghpvk65qbh69g9bmebhk1e28o41ur@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2705&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2705

From: lucretia...@fl.it (Lucretia Borgia)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Own posts missing!
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 09:33:20 -0300
 by: Lucretia Borgia - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 12:33 UTC

I probably pressed a button somewhere but all of a sudden, only on one
group, I post and they answer but I can't see my own post showing. I
am using Agent 8.

Re: Own posts missing!

<kd4kegt7hhnnnu9b58lub110li17340v41@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2706&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2706

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Own posts missing!
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 10:11:03 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 22:11 UTC

On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 09:33:20 -0300, Lucretia Borgia wrote:

> I probably pressed a button somewhere but all of a sudden, only on one
> group, I post and they answer but I can't see my own post showing. I
> am using Agent 8.

I know of no 'magic' button which hides your own posts and only your
own posts.

Q. Is this only one post not showing? (Only one of your own posts?)

Q. Does your post appear on Google Groups? On a different news server?

Here are some things to check...

1. On some servers, it can take a little while for a post to appear.
Wait a bit, make yourself a nice cup of hot chocolate, and try
again after several minutes.

2. Was your reply cross-posted to more than one group? (Check your 'Sent'
folder to see.) There is an issue with some servers where a
cross-posted message may not show up in one group if you get headers
within a second or so after the post appeared on the server. Try
sampling headers back far enough to get your latest post.
(select folder) >> Action >> Get Headers >> Sample Recent Headers

3. Perhaps your kill-filters caught your own post. Try this:
3.1 Temporarily disable filtering for the group at
(select folder) >> Folder >> Properties >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Filters
[x] Disable filtering for this folder
3.2 Sample headers back far enough to get your latest post
(select folder) >> Action >> Get Headers >> Sample Recent Headers
3.3 Re-enable filtering for the group.

4. If your reply was cross-posted to more than one group (check your 'Sent'
folder to see), perhaps your cross-post management settings killed the
post.
4.1 Temporarily disable cross-post checking
(select folder) >> Folder >> Properties >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Crossposting
[ ] Enable crosspost checking (applies to all folders)
4.2 Sample headers back far enough to get your latest post
(select folder) >> Action >> Get Headers >> Sample Recent Headers
4.3 Re-enable cross-post checking

5. Is that in a moderated newsgroup? Your post will not appear until
the moderator approves your post.

6. If your Agent is configured to file sent messages in the newsgroup
folder, then your post will appear as read. If, in addition, your
view is set to unread messages, then your view will hide your post.
6.1 Check which of these your view is set to.
(select group) >> View >> All Messages
(select group) >> View >> Custom Message View >> ...
6.2 Check your message filing settings
(select group) >> Folder >> Properties >> Posting Messages >> Message Filing
---Usenet Message Filing---
[?] File replies in same folder as original message

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Own posts missing!

<f61leg5lp8l0lai8dooecp0bh3nujk25vi@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2707&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2707

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 17:43:42 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 05:43 UTC

On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 09:33:20 -0300, Lucretia Borgia wrote:

> I probably pressed a button somewhere but all of a sudden, only on one
> group, I post and they answer but I can't see my own post showing. I
> am using Agent 8.

7. Check for Followup-To set
7.1 Check whether the message you replied to has a header
"Followup-To:" set to a different group.
7.2 Check in your 'Sent' folder to see whether your reply was
actually posted to that different group.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Own posts missing!

<530megtaeblrnpshkgfgf15ak9tbgpm6od@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2709&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2709

From: lucretia...@fl.it (Lucretia Borgia)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 11:34:19 -0300
 by: Lucretia Borgia - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 14:34 UTC

On Sun, 11 Jul 2021 17:43:42 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 09:33:20 -0300, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>
>> I probably pressed a button somewhere but all of a sudden, only on one
>> group, I post and they answer but I can't see my own post showing. I
>> am using Agent 8.
>

> 7. Check for Followup-To set
> 7.1 Check whether the message you replied to has a header
> "Followup-To:" set to a different group.
> 7.2 Check in your 'Sent' folder to see whether your reply was
> actually posted to that different group.

Thanks Ralph! I just checked everything you said - none of my posts
show in that group anymore, though I know others must see them as they
respond. I never cross post lol

The one thing I found was that in Usenet Message Filing,
that whole section is set to 'default' so I assume that must be okay
as I can see my posts in other groups.

I wish I had never upgraded to Agent 8, much preferred 4 :) I don't
use google groups so didn't check there. I am using apn even though I
don't view or send binaries anymore.

So it's a mystery.

TYA

Re: Own posts missing!

<tk4oeg14qqdhi03kv7aqg2ge1go271kel8@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2717&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2717

From: pet...@never.here
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 11:08:58 +0100
 by: pet...@never.here - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 10:08 UTC

On Sun, 11 Jul 2021 10:11:03 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 09:33:20 -0300, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>
>> I probably pressed a button somewhere but all of a sudden, only on one
>> group, I post and they answer but I can't see my own post showing. I
>> am using Agent 8.
>

>I know of no 'magic' button which hides your own posts and only your
>own posts.
>
> Q. Is this only one post not showing? (Only one of your own posts?)
>
> Q. Does your post appear on Google Groups? On a different news server?
>
>Here are some things to check...
>
> 1. On some servers, it can take a little while for a post to appear.
> Wait a bit, make yourself a nice cup of hot chocolate, and try
> again after several minutes.
>
> 2. Was your reply cross-posted to more than one group? (Check your 'Sent'
> folder to see.) There is an issue with some servers where a
> cross-posted message may not show up in one group if you get headers
> within a second or so after the post appeared on the server. Try
> sampling headers back far enough to get your latest post.
> (select folder) >> Action >> Get Headers >> Sample Recent Headers
>
> 3. Perhaps your kill-filters caught your own post. Try this:
> 3.1 Temporarily disable filtering for the group at
> (select folder) >> Folder >> Properties >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Filters
> [x] Disable filtering for this folder
> 3.2 Sample headers back far enough to get your latest post
> (select folder) >> Action >> Get Headers >> Sample Recent Headers
> 3.3 Re-enable filtering for the group.

FWIW No 3 in my case. Sometime ago I attempted to post to
alt.binaries.ebook. Never appeared, or so I thought. Tried again, same
result then out of curiousity I disabled filtering for the group,
downloaded the last few posts again and there they were.

So well worth checking.

> 4. If your reply was cross-posted to more than one group (check your 'Sent'
> folder to see), perhaps your cross-post management settings killed the
> post.
> 4.1 Temporarily disable cross-post checking
> (select folder) >> Folder >> Properties >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Crossposting
> [ ] Enable crosspost checking (applies to all folders)
> 4.2 Sample headers back far enough to get your latest post
> (select folder) >> Action >> Get Headers >> Sample Recent Headers
> 4.3 Re-enable cross-post checking
>
> 5. Is that in a moderated newsgroup? Your post will not appear until
> the moderator approves your post.
>
> 6. If your Agent is configured to file sent messages in the newsgroup
> folder, then your post will appear as read. If, in addition, your
> view is set to unread messages, then your view will hide your post.
> 6.1 Check which of these your view is set to.
> (select group) >> View >> All Messages
> (select group) >> View >> Custom Message View >> ...
> 6.2 Check your message filing settings
> (select group) >> Folder >> Properties >> Posting Messages >> Message Filing
> ---Usenet Message Filing---
> [?] File replies in same folder as original message
--
Pete

Re: Own posts missing!

<iekoegla3nsabgehrcsbuanbmabhtavrge@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2722&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2722

From: lucretia...@fl.it (Lucretia Borgia)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 11:31:24 -0300
 by: Lucretia Borgia - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 14:31 UTC

On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 11:08:58 +0100, pete@never.here wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Jul 2021 10:11:03 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 09:33:20 -0300, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>>
>>> I probably pressed a button somewhere but all of a sudden, only on one
>>> group, I post and they answer but I can't see my own post showing. I
>>> am using Agent 8.
>>

>>I know of no 'magic' button which hides your own posts and only your
>>own posts.
>>
>> Q. Is this only one post not showing? (Only one of your own posts?)
>>
>> Q. Does your post appear on Google Groups? On a different news server?
>>
>>Here are some things to check...
>>
>> 1. On some servers, it can take a little while for a post to appear.
>> Wait a bit, make yourself a nice cup of hot chocolate, and try
>> again after several minutes.
>>
>> 2. Was your reply cross-posted to more than one group? (Check your 'Sent'
>> folder to see.) There is an issue with some servers where a
>> cross-posted message may not show up in one group if you get headers
>> within a second or so after the post appeared on the server. Try
>> sampling headers back far enough to get your latest post.
>> (select folder) >> Action >> Get Headers >> Sample Recent Headers
>>
>> 3. Perhaps your kill-filters caught your own post. Try this:
>> 3.1 Temporarily disable filtering for the group at
>> (select folder) >> Folder >> Properties >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Filters
>> [x] Disable filtering for this folder
>> 3.2 Sample headers back far enough to get your latest post
>> (select folder) >> Action >> Get Headers >> Sample Recent Headers
>> 3.3 Re-enable filtering for the group.

I thought I had worked on all that Ralph supplied, but I must have
missed 3, and yes Pete, you're right, the headers are now back.

Thanks both! I was thinking, this is likely the new way to help an
old woman across the street :-®