From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Recovering Update Ability
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 00:36:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 00:36 UTC

So...my synth capabilities were de facto lost when the ports tree moved to git
since my typical application update procedure was

svn update
synth status
synth prepare-system
pkg upgrade -r Synth

I have subsequently done the conservative OS upgrade from 11.4 to 12.3
but the DVD was geared to imposing a fresh install,so I am left porting
things over from a backup and haven't gotten everything running.

Now that I'm on an OS version that presumes the git ports tree,
what is the way to download an update from git to /usr/ports?

synth is not building because the desired snapshot of ncurses
can not be found (and my backup somehow lacks /usr/ports/distfiles).
Trying a make install of ncurses likewise can't find that snapshot.
What's to be done?

pkg update appears to finally be working but it complains about
the emptiness of the "up to date" Synth repository.
ncurses has no update from that snapshot,apparently.

My startx file complains that DRM has to be over version 3
to work with xorg and doesn't complete.

-=-=-

Re: Recovering Update Ability

<tetg8t$ao6$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=272&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#272

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Recovering Update Ability
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 17:58:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 17:58 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:

> So...my synth capabilities were de facto lost when the ports tree moved to git
> since my typical application update procedure was
>
> svn update
> synth status
> synth prepare-system
> pkg upgrade -r Synth
>
> I have subsequently done the conservative OS upgrade from 11.4 to 12.3
> but the DVD was geared to imposing a fresh install,so I am left porting
> things over from a backup and haven't gotten everything running.
>
> Now that I'm on an OS version that presumes the git ports tree,
> what is the way to download an update from git to /usr/ports?
>
> synth is not building because the desired snapshot of ncurses
> can not be found (and my backup somehow lacks /usr/ports/distfiles).
> Trying a make install of ncurses likewise can't find that snapshot.
> What's to be done?
>
> pkg update appears to finally be working but it complains about
> the emptiness of the "up to date" Synth repository.
> ncurses has no update from that snapshot,apparently.

[deleted obsolete point though startx fails on other issues now]
> -=-=-
> The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
> at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

Re: Recovering Update Ability

<teuefa$n34$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=273&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#273

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 02:34:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 02:34 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:
> Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:
>>
>> So...my synth capabilities were de facto lost when the ports tree moved to git
>> since my typical application update procedure was
>>
>> svn update
>> synth status
>> synth prepare-system
>> pkg upgrade -r Synth
>>
>> I have subsequently done the conservative OS upgrade from 11.4 to 12.3
>> but the DVD was geared to imposing a fresh install,so I am left porting
>> things over from a backup and haven't gotten everything running.
>>
>> Now that I'm on an OS version that presumes the git ports tree,
>> what is the way to download an update from git to /usr/ports?

THIS REMAINS KEY.

>> synth is not building because the desired snapshot of ncurses
>> can not be found (and my backup somehow lacks /usr/ports/distfiles).
>> Trying a make install of ncurses likewise can't find that snapshot.
>> What's to be done?

I was able to move some more files/directories from backups and got
synth to run on the ports tree from the 12.3 DVD but I can't use it to
update its repository further unless I can update ports.

I used pkg install to bring ncurses (I think NOT that snapshot)
and synth did build from ports.

>> pkg update appears to finally be working but it complains about
>> the emptiness of the "up to date" Synth repository.
>> ncurses has no update from that snapshot,apparently.
>>

> [deleted obsolete point though startx fails on other issues now]

Got startx to run but my browsers still fail to load XPCOM.

>> -=-=-
>> The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
>> at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

Re: Recovering Update Ability

<teuuv4$p9q$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=274&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#274

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 07:15:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 07:15 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:
> Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:
>> Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> So...my synth capabilities were de facto lost when the ports tree moved to git
>>> since my typical application update procedure was
>>>
>>> svn update
>>> synth status
>>> synth prepare-system
>>> pkg upgrade -r Synth
>>>
>>> I have subsequently done the conservative OS upgrade from 11.4 to 12.3
>>> but the DVD was geared to imposing a fresh install,so I am left porting
>>> things over from a backup and haven't gotten everything running.
>>>
>>> Now that I'm on an OS version that presumes the git ports tree,
>>> what is the way to download an update from git to /usr/ports?
>
> THIS REMAINS KEY.

(the Handbook's instructions for installing via git do NOT appear
to work for using git to update what you installed from the DVD).
>>> synth is not building because the desired snapshot of ncurses
>>> can not be found (and my backup somehow lacks /usr/ports/distfiles).
>>> Trying a make install of ncurses likewise can't find that snapshot.
>>> What's to be done?
>
> I was able to move some more files/directories from backups and got
> synth to run on the ports tree from the 12.3 DVD but I can't use it to
> update its repository further unless I can update ports.
>
> I used pkg install to bring ncurses (I think NOT that snapshot)
> and synth did build from ports.
>
>>> pkg update appears to finally be working but it complains about
>>> the emptiness of the "up to date" Synth repository.
>>> ncurses has no update from that snapshot,apparently.
>>>

>> [deleted obsolete point though startx fails on other issues now]
>
> Got startx to run but my browsers still fail to load XPCOM.
>
>>> -=-=-
>>> The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
>>> at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

Re: Recovering Update Ability

<tf0n9h$6vs$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=275&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#275

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 23:17:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 23:17 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:
> Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:
>> Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:

>> THIS REMAINS KEY.
>
> (the Handbook's instructions for installing via git do NOT appear
> to work for using git to update what you installed from the DVD).

How do you use what's at the git repository to update what is
installed from the DVD??

>> I was able to move some more files/directories from backups and got
>> synth to run on the ports tree from the 12.3 DVD but I can't use it to
>> update its repository further unless I can update ports.
>>
>> I used pkg install to bring ncurses (I think NOT that snapshot)
>> and synth did build from ports.

>>> [deleted obsolete point though startx fails on other issues now]
>>
>> Got startx to run but my browsers still fail to load XPCOM.

For firefox-esr this now refines to

XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/local/lib/firefox/libmozgtk.so:
/usr/local/lib/libGL-NVIDIA.so.1: Undefined symbol "nv020glcore"
Couldn't load XPCOM.

This is firefox-esr 91.13 installed by pkg after make install from
ports hung on some dependency issues.

Re: Recovering Update Ability

<tf158h$rji$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=276&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#276

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 03:15:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 03:15 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:
> Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:
>> Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:

>>> THIS REMAINS KEY.
>>
>> (the Handbook's instructions for installing via git do NOT appear
>> to work for using git to update what you installed from the DVD).
>
> How do you use what's at the git repository to update what is
> installed from the DVD??

??

>>> I was able to move some more files/directories from backups and got
>>> synth to run on the ports tree from the 12.3 DVD but I can't use it to
>>> update its repository further unless I can update ports.
>>>
>>> I used pkg install to bring ncurses (I think NOT that snapshot)
>>> and synth did build from ports.

>>> Got startx to run but my browsers still fail to load XPCOM.
>
> For firefox-esr this now refines to
>
> XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/local/lib/firefox/libmozgtk.so:
> /usr/local/lib/libGL-NVIDIA.so.1: Undefined symbol "nv020glcore"
> Couldn't load XPCOM.
>
> This is firefox-esr 91.13 installed by pkg after make install from
> ports hung on some dependency issues.

I added some more ports and PRESTO!...it works.
But Seamonkey 2.53.7 (which I depend on to handle graphical
mail though my primary client is alpine) still "Couldn't load XPCOM".

Re: Recovering Update Ability

<tf49dn$qf4$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=277&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#277

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 07:44:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 07:44 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:
> Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:
>> Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:

>>> (the Handbook's instructions for installing via git do NOT appear
>>> to work for using git to update what you installed from the DVD).
>>
>> How do you use what's at the git repository to update what is
>> installed from the DVD??
>
> ??

Tackled this by renaming /usr/ports to ports12.3dvd to make room for clone.

>> For firefox-esr this now refines to
>>
>> XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/local/lib/firefox/libmozgtk.so:
>> /usr/local/lib/libGL-NVIDIA.so.1: Undefined symbol "nv020glcore"
>> Couldn't load XPCOM.
>>
>> This is firefox-esr 91.13 installed by pkg after make install from
>> ports hung on some dependency issues.
>
> I added some more ports and PRESTO!...it works.
> But Seamonkey 2.53.7 (which I depend on to handle graphical
> mail though my primary client is alpine) still "Couldn't load XPCOM".

THIS REMAINS AN OUTSTANDING ISSUE!