Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. -- Linus Torvalds

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / CECAdapter: Failed to find any CEC devices

SubjectAuthor
* CECAdapter: Failed to find any CEC devicespinnerite
+* Re: CECAdapter: Failed to find any CEC devicesPaul
|`- Re: CECAdapter: Failed to find any CEC devicespinnerite
`- Re: CECAdapter: Failed to find any CEC devicesBit Twister

1
CECAdapter: Failed to find any CEC devices

<20220119090951.9332d10d6378523585cbe643@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2731&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2731

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: CECAdapter: Failed to find any CEC devices
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 09:09:51 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 09:09 UTC

This is an error that appears in the log when I attempt to start MythTV frontend.

I cannot remember ever seeing this before.
Is it fatal?

How can I avoid it?

TIA

Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-94-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: CECAdapter: Failed to find any CEC devices

<ss8lg4$1ukm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2732&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2732

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: CECAdapter: Failed to find any CEC devices
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 04:26:17 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 09:26 UTC

On 1/19/2022 4:09 AM, pinnerite wrote:

> This is an error that appears in the log when I attempt to start MythTV frontend.
>
> I cannot remember ever seeing this before.
> Is it fatal?
>
> How can I avoid it?
>
> TIA
>
> Alan

At a guess, MythTV has a CEC Handler, and it "listens" for
messages from other devices on the "bus".

To give a practical example of what CEC does:

BluRay -------- HDMI ----------- TV set
Player

Now, when you use the TV remote and "turn off" the TV set,
the TV set sends a CEC message to the BluRay player.
The BluRay player, in sympathy, turns off at the same time.
With some lucky wiring, your entire AV Rack could go Off
at the same time.

Potentially, you could have a MythTV computer and a TV
connected like that. You use the remote on the TV and
turn off the display. The CEC would send a signal to the
"CEC Handler", and the CEC Handler would then shut down
or sleep the computer. As if the soft Power button had
been pressed sort of thing.

If some part of the hardware path doesn't present a
viable CEC, then you'd likely get a (non-fatal) notification.
Don't lose any sleep over this.

You could attempt to find a Preference that controls this,
and turn the feature off.

Paul

Re: CECAdapter: Failed to find any CEC devices

<20220119094842.0eacc12b17252280b9554efa@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2733&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2733

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 09:48:42 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 09:48 UTC

On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 04:26:17 -0500
Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> On 1/19/2022 4:09 AM, pinnerite wrote:
> >
> > This is an error that appears in the log when I attempt to start MythTV frontend.
> >
> > I cannot remember ever seeing this before.
> > Is it fatal?
> >
> > How can I avoid it?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Alan
> >

> At a guess, MythTV has a CEC Handler, and it "listens" for
> messages from other devices on the "bus".
>
> To give a practical example of what CEC does:
>
> BluRay -------- HDMI ----------- TV set
> Player
>
> Now, when you use the TV remote and "turn off" the TV set,
> the TV set sends a CEC message to the BluRay player.
> The BluRay player, in sympathy, turns off at the same time.
> With some lucky wiring, your entire AV Rack could go Off
> at the same time.
>
> Potentially, you could have a MythTV computer and a TV
> connected like that. You use the remote on the TV and
> turn off the display. The CEC would send a signal to the
> "CEC Handler", and the CEC Handler would then shut down
> or sleep the computer. As if the soft Power button had
> been pressed sort of thing.
>
> If some part of the hardware path doesn't present a
> viable CEC, then you'd likely get a (non-fatal) notification.
> Don't lose any sleep over this.
>
> You could attempt to find a Preference that controls this,
> and turn the feature off.
>
> Paul

Thank you. Now I have to chase up the remaining errors. :(

Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-95-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: CECAdapter: Failed to find any CEC devices

<slrnsug4ce.87su.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2737&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2737

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 07:26:36 -0600
 by: Bit Twister - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 13:26 UTC

On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 09:09:51 +0000, pinnerite wrote:

> This is an error that appears in the log when I attempt to start MythTV frontend.
>
> I cannot remember ever seeing this before.
> Is it fatal?

You might consider bookmarking the following url.

https://www.google.com/advanced_search
and pasting the error message in the second box.