From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Which free ad free barcode {scanner,identifier,generator} app do you use
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 23:30:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 23:30 UTC

Which free ad free barcode {scanner,identifier,generator} app do you use
(and more importantly so we can learn from you) what do you look for?

In a recent thread, Steve helpfully noted that barcode scanner apps can do
a. Scanning an existing barcode
b. Identifying the type of barcode
c. Generating a new barcode

Where two of those tasks I've never done, so that's why I'm asking for help
& advice from the Usenet team, where some members know a lot more than I do.

SCANNING:
I had previously installed from my Aurora Google Play Store client search:
*Barcode Scanner*, by Cognex (4.5 rated) <https://cmbdn.cognex.com/>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.manateeworks.barcodescanners>
Which apparently supports the following formats:
*Aztec* === on or off (default = off)
*Codabar* === on or off (default = off)
*Code-11* === on or off (default = off)
*Code-25* === on or off (default = off)
*Code-39* === on or off & additional settings (default = on)
*Code-93* === on or off (default = off)
*Code-128* === on or off & additional settings (default = on)
*Data Matrix* === on or off (default = on)
*DotCode* === on or off (default = off)
*GS1* DataBar (RSS) === on or off & additional settings (default = on)
*MaxiCode* === on or off (default = off)
*MSI* Plessey === on or off (default = off)
*PDF417* === on or off & additional settings (default = on)
*Postal* Codes === on or off (default = off)
*QR* code === on or off & additional settings (default = on)
*UPC* & *EAN* === on or off & additional settings (default = on)

IDENTIFYING:
Steve suggested this app, for example, for _identifying_ the barcode type:
*Barcode Scanner*, by ZXing (3.9 rated)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.zxing.client.android>
Which apparently supports the following formats:
1D Product === on or off (default = on)
1D Industrial === on or off (default = on)
QR Codes === on or off (default = on)
Data Matrix === on or off (default = on)
Aztec === on or off (default = off)
PDF417 (beta) === on or off (default = off)
Although this appears to be an "enhanced" version from the same ZXing outfit
*Barcode Scanner+ (Plus)*, by Sean Owen (of ZXing Team)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.srowen.bs.android>
Which apparently supports the following formats:
1D Product === on or off (default = on)
1D Industrial === on or off (default = on)
QR Codes === on or off (default = on)
Data Matrix === on or off (default = on)
Aztec === on or off (default = off)
PDF417 (beta) === on or off (default = off)
NFC === on or off (default = on)

GENERATING:
A search of the Google Play Store repository using stringent Aurora filters
for highly rated oft-downloaded gsf-free apps came up with more, such as:
*Barcode Generator*, by Aeiou (4.4 rated)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blogspot.aeioulabs.barcode>
Which apparently supports the following formats:
QR Code
DataMatrix
Codabar
Code39
Code128
EAN-8
EAN-13
UPC-A
ITF
PDF417
And which is capable of using your default scanner or the ZXing scanner.

Each has extensive settings (you have to look to see, as I was amazed at the
detail because most of the terminology I had never heard of before today).

--
It's ok if nobody knows more than I do, but in this question, I don't know
anything, so I would hope someone out there knows a LOT more than I do.

Re: Which free ad free barcode {scanner,identifier,generator} app do you use

<svbb83$172i$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28374&group=comp.mobile.android#28374

From: youkidd...@yahoo.com (YK)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 14:38:37 -0500
 by: YK - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 19:38 UTC

On 2/4/2022 11:30 PM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> [...]
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blogspot.aeioulabs.barcode>
> Which apparently supports the following formats:
> QR Code
> DataMatrix
> Codabar
> Code39
> Code128
> EAN-8
> EAN-13
> UPC-A
> ITF
> PDF417
> And which is capable of using your default scanner or the ZXing scanner.
>
> Each has extensive settings (you have to look to see, as I was amazed at the
> detail because most of the terminology I had never heard of before today).
>
> Which free ad free barcode {scanner,identifier,generator} app do you use
> (and more importantly so we can learn from you) what do you look for?

Take a picture of the barcode and store that picture in your encrypted
wallet. The picture will have the numbers. Don't know about the type though.

Re: Which free ad free barcode {scanner,identifier,generator} app do you use

<svbh4h$oeo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28381&group=comp.mobile.android#28381

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Which free ad free barcode {scanner,identifier,generator} app do
you use
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 13:19:13 -0800
 by: sms - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 21:19 UTC

On 2/25/2022 11:38 AM, YK wrote:

<snip>

> Take a picture of the barcode and store that picture in your encrypted
> wallet. The picture will have the numbers. Don't know about the type
> though.

That works, but it's better to generate the Bar Code image and create a
digital version of a card then use this app
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=color.dev.com.tangerine>
to place it in your Google Pay Wallet. I've done this for things like my
library card and Costco Card (you can use the Costco App as well, but I
like to have all the cards in one place). For the iPhone the equivalent
app, though not as good, is
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/pass2u-wallet-cards-coupons/id1142473931>.

Often, the hardest part of generating a Bar Code is figuring out the
type of bar code being used since there are so many, and trial and error
can be very time consuming. This app
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.zxing.client.android>
identifies the bar code then you can use a web-based bar code generator.

Google Pay Supported Bar Codes: Aztec, Code 39, Code 128, EAN-13, PDF
417, QR, UPC-A
Pass2Pay Additional Bar Codes: Codabar, Data Matrix, EAN 8, ITF 14, UPC E

Apple Wallet Supported Bar Codes: Aztec, Code 128, PDF417, QR
Pass2U Paid Version Additional Bar Codes: Code 39, Code 93, Code 39, Mod
43, EAN 8, EAN 13, UPC E

If a company or other entity wanted to allow users to directly add a
card to Google Pay or Apple Wallet it would have to use one of the
officially supported Apple Wallet or Google Pay bar codes.