Your own mileage may vary.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Tutorial: How to create your own platform-portable ID card encrypted wallet

SubjectAuthor
* Tutorial: How to create your own platform-portable ID card encrypted walletAndy Burnelli
+* Re: Tutorial: How to create your own platform-portable ID card encrypted walletJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|+- Re: Tutorial: How to create your own platform-portable ID card encrypted walletAndy Burnelli
|`* Re: Tutorial: How to create your own platform-portable ID cardDan Purgert
| `- Re: Tutorial: How to create your own platform-portable ID card encrypted walletAndy Burnelli
`- Re: Tutorial: How to create your own platform-portable ID card encrypted walletAndy Burnelli

1
Tutorial: How to create your own platform-portable ID card encrypted wallet

<stkhe7$pil$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27380&group=comp.mobile.android#27380

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Tutorial: How to create your own platform-portable ID card encrypted wallet
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 00:47:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 00:47 UTC

Tutorial:
*How to create your own platform-portable ID card encrypted wallet*.

BACKGROUND:
A few minutes ago, Steve posted a thread on how to save a custom barcode
into your Apple/Google/Samsung/etc, pay wallet on both Android & iPhones.
*How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc.*
*to Apple Wallet and Google Pay*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/EE71jVFFHzk>

Almost everything in that thread was foreign to me, not only in that I'd
never use a smartphone-based payment system, but also in that there are a
plethora of barcode-generation formats that each app needs to support.

Given my goal would be a _cross-platform_ solution (it's what I love) that
works on Windows, Linux, and Android (we always do iOS later for reasons we
can get into later if people care which they don't).

This tutorial is the result of about fifteen minutes of work which started
from that helpful background thread from Steve, but whose goal is a
*Portable*
*Encrypted*
*Wallet*

Where the goal, at least initially (since this is all new to me) is:
*Portable* === Windows, Linux, Android (and later, iOS)
*Encrypted* === TrueCrypt/Veracrypt/LUKS/EncFS
*Wallet* === that encrypted file can be copied to _all_ your devices

Given I've _never_ done any of this, I'm posting this to first help others,
but even more so, I'm hopeful many others out there will know a lot more
than I do (since all this is less than a half hour old for me) to improve
our capabilities for a portable encrypted wallet even further than I did.

My first test generating a Costco barcode (in png, jpg, and webp formats):
1. On Android, I used the FOSS Google Play Store app replacement Aurora to
search for a free, ad-free, google-free, gsf-free oft-downloaded
highly rated barcode generator app, & found as the top hit this app:
*Barcode Generator*, by Aeiou (4.4 rated)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blogspot.aeioulabs.barcode>

2. I started the app, pressed the red plus button & scanned my Costco card,
which read in and identified the barcode format as EAN-13, and then I hit
the app export button which gave me choices of where on main or secondary
storage to export the {png,jpg,webp} file, the font, and the desired
colors (background and foreground), fonts, and the desired image size
(default is 800x800 with options for 107,214,428,400,800 * 1600 px).

The result was found in the (user settable) default directory of
/storage/emulated/0/download/1234567890123.{png,jpg,webp}

3. I then moved that image file into my encrypted portable file container,
which can be copied to any common platform that I own for future use.
*EDS Lite* by sovworks <http://www.sovworks.com/>
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.sovworks.edslite/>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sovworks.edslite>

That container file is the same format as the following (AFAIK) on a PC.
VeraCrypt <https://veracrypt.fr/en/Home.html> <=== I recommend this one
TrueCrypt <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueCrypt>
LUKS <https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup>
EncFS <https://github.com/vgough/encfs/>

I don't know of a free iOS encrypted file container app; so if
you know of a free one, please let us know so that all benefit
from your knowledge (which helps makes this solution available to all).

4. Optionally, if you don't have a card to scan, you can easily scan an
image on your device of that card; or, if you simply have the digits,
you can easily manually enter the 13 digits to create the EAN-13 file.

Note that many barcode formats are supported, where this tutorial only
tested the EAN-13 format (but most (all?) should work, shouldn't they?)
Of course the real world test is whether this encrypted portable wallet
image will work when I next go to the Costco self-checkout, where Steve
noted all Costco needs is a correct number in the correct EAN-13 format.

As always, since Usenet is a team sport, please improve where you can
(the goal being that everyone can benefit from every post in every thread).
--
Note that I have only spent about 30 minutes on this stuff so others should
be able to vastly improve on the steps I came up with on my own above.

See also:
*Which free ad free barcode {scanner,identifier,generator} app do you use*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/HZSQT6aqdIw>

Re: Tutorial: How to create your own platform-portable ID card encrypted wallet

<JdSyQOYZ7c$hFwmu@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27383&group=comp.mobile.android#27383

Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 01:11:53 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 01:11 UTC

On Sat, 5 Feb 2022 at 00:47:04, Andy Burnelli <spam@nospam.com> wrote
(my responses usually follow points raised):
>Tutorial:
[]
>I used
[]
> search for
[]
> & found as the top hit this app:
[]
> from your knowledge (which helps makes this solution available to all).
[]
>As always, since Usenet is a team sport, please improve where you can
>(the goal being that everyone can benefit from every post in every thread).

I do hope I'm wrong.

Of course some of it [television] is bad. But some of everything is bad -
books, music, family ... - Melvyn Bragg, RT 2017/7/1-7

Re: Tutorial: How to create your own platform-portable ID card encrypted wallet

<stkouc$t88$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27387&group=comp.mobile.android#27387

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 02:55:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 02:55 UTC

On Sat, 5 Feb 2022 01:11:53 +0000, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> I do hope I'm wrong.

Thank you for your purposefully helpful kind-hearted post stating that all
my many tutorials are, by strategy, always designed to work on all
platforms, for free, so that _every_ user has the benefit, given I have a
good heart and my goal, always, is that everyone benefits always.

Here's the prior setup, on Android, showing the apps that were used:
<https://i.postimg.cc/R0CCDv40/barcode01.jpg>

Given you noted the nascent tutorial won't work fully on Windows or Linux
until we add the Windows/Linux EAN-13 format barcode generator, as always,
I'll spend the time and energy to help you and others find that software.

While, as Steve already noted, there are web-based barcode generators:
e.g., <https://barcode.tec-it.com/en/EAN13>
<https://products.aspose.app/barcode/generate/ean>
<https://www.terryburton.co.uk/barcodewriter/generator/>
etc.
It's worthwhile to note that both Linux & macOS have command line tools.
<https://www.activebarcode.com/commandline/bash.html>
Which, given most native Linux distros run inside of Android, is in Termux.
<https://andronix.app/>
That gives us CLI barcode generator for all but iOS (which always is later).
<https://linux.die.net/man/1/barcode>

However, on both Linux and Android, a general solution usually entails an
easier to use graphical interface, of which plenty exist, but I'm unaware of
the canonical EAN-13 barcode generation tools, so I ask others for help.

A search finds too many to test, where on instant inspection, this supports
just about every barcode format to have been defined by man or beast.
<https://www.tec-it.com/en/support/knowbase/barcode-software/barcode-linux/formats/default.aspx>

Those Linux/macOS/Windows Barcode Studio downloads are here:
<https://www.tec-it.com/en/download/Default.aspx>
But they appear to be trialware, so I didn't delve further into the details.

A search for free open source graphical barcode generators finds these:
*Free & Open source Barcode generator software*
<https://www.how2shout.com/tools/free-open-source-barcode-generator-software.html>
1. Zint Barcode Generator
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/zint/>
2. Barillo Barcode Software
<https://www.nchsoftware.com/barcode/index.html>
3. HTML Barcode SDK
<https://www.barcoderesource.com/htmlBarcode.shtml>
4. Free Barcode Generator Toolkit
<http://www.free-barcode.com/>
5. qreator
<https://launchpad.net/qreator>
6. EasierSoft �V Simple Barcode Maker (needs translation)
<http://www.barcodegenerator.online/simplebarcode.htm>
7. LabelPath: for Barcode Label Maker and Printing Software
<https://filehippo.com/download_labelpath-barcode-label-maker-software/>
8. Windows Store Barcode generator app
<https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/store/p/barcode-generator/9wzdncrfj2s1>

Another hit in my search for FOSS barcode generator apps found these:
*5 Best Free Open Source Barcode Generator Software*
<https://listoffreeware.com/best-free-open-source-barcode-generator-software-windows/>
1. Zint Barcode Generator
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/zint/>
2. DMS Barcode Label Generator
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/dmsbarcodegener/>
3. LibreOffice Draw
<https://www.libreoffice.org/>
4. Barcode by jbdemonte
<https://github.com/jbdemonte/barcode>
5. Barcode & Label (My Barcode Software)
<http://www.barcodesoftware.me/>

There are also these lists where I'll only report the new finds there:
*10 Best Free Barcode Scanner Software*
<https://listoffreeware.com/list-of-best-free-barcode-scanner-software-for-windows/>
1. ByteScout BarCode Reader
<http://bytescout.com/>
2. Orphalis Virtual Barcode Reader
<http://www.orpalis.com/>
3. ZBar bar code reader
<http://zbar.sourceforge.net/index.html>
4. kamkode
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/kamkode/>
5. IBscanner Free
<IBscanner Free>
6. BarCoder by Image Components
<http://www.imagecomponents.net/>
7. VidikonReader
<http://vidikon.com/>
8. bcTester
<http://www.bctester.de/en/home.html>

*11 Best Free Barcode Generator Software*
<https://listoffreeware.com/list-of-best-free-barcode-generator-software-for-windows/>
9. Zint Barcode Studio
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/zint/>
10. Free Barcode Generator
<http://download.cnet.com/Free-Barcode-Generator/3000-2064_4-76149727.html>
11. Dataware Barcode Software
<http://download.cnet.com/Barcode-Software/3000-2067_4-10800259.html>
12. SDR Free Barcode Generator
<http://download.cnet.com/SDR-Free-Barcode-Generator/3000-2064_4-76092094.html>
13. BarGen
<http://worldwidehome.de/>
14. BluePOS Barcode Creator
<http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Finances-Business/BluePOS-Barcode-Creator.shtml>
15. Barcode Designer
<http://www.noproblemsoft.com/>
16. EZ Barcode Generator
<http://barcodingworks.com/>
17. Aeromium Barcode Software
<http://www.barcodefonts.net/>

Unfortunately there are too many for me to test, kind hearted as even I am,
that's too much for one person (which is why Usenet is a team sport).

Everyone can pitch in by adding helpful comments which add value.
It's what purposefully helpful kind-hearted adults do who are intelligent.

Moving forward, as always, I recommend you keep an organized system, e.g.,
<https://i.postimg.cc/qvJDMQcq/taskbarmenu02.jpg>

For those of you who don't realize you're picky at the details without
comprehending the overall strategy, the actual names don't matter - the
philosophy of maintaining a hierarchy for decades across people, machines,
and even platforms is what give you the efficiency - not the silly names.

These three are always kept separately, but similar, on all platforms:
a. The archival location...
b. Is the same hierarchy type as the installed location...
c. Which is the same hierarchy type as the menus that run the programs!

To give you an idea, since this is a tutorial, I used this tree:
Archives: C:\archives\editors\barcode\{put downloaded installers here}
Programs: C:\apps\editors\barcode\{install programs into here}
My Menus: C:\menus\editors\barcode\{place shortcuts to exe's here}
Note: As you know, I never use plurals, but added them here for you.

This purposefully helpful kind-hearted response is getting long in the tooth
so I'll just show the results of the first test that I ran for you folks.
Archives: C:\archive\editor\barcode\barillo\barsetup.exe
Programs: C:\apps\editor\barcode\barillo\barillo.exe
My Menus: C:\menus\editor\barcode\barillo\barillo.exe

Barillo Barcode Generator, v1.01
<https://www.nchsoftware.com/barcode/index.html>
<https://www.nchsoftware.com/barcode/barsetup.exe>
Name: barsetup.exe
Size: 223776 bytes (218 KiB)
SHA256: A8FCB69A8D0BD9FC12FA37942A801379CD278C05B0020C08C2DB137CE8E2F606
Note it's a dumb installer incapable of allowing choice to go into

I had to copy it from the idiotically located program files x86 folders.
C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\Barillo\barillo.exe

In summary, anyone should now be able to create their own portable encrypted
wallet containing barcodes for their favorite stores, libraries, or
whatever, such that they'll always be available no matter where you are.

As always, please improve as I only learned about this concept an hour ago
so there are likely many of you good hearted people who know far more.
--
There are few kind-hearted purposefully helpful souls who provide free gifts
to everyone, purely out of the goodness of their hearts, and yet, there are

Re: Tutorial: How to create your own platform-portable ID card encrypted wallet

<slrnsvrprd.5ru.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27388&group=comp.mobile.android#27388

Followup: alt.os.linux
From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Tutorial: How to create your own platform-portable ID card
encrypted wallet
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 02:56:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 02:56 UTC

--
|_|O|_| Github: https://github.com/dpurgert
|_|_|O| PGP: DDAB 23FB 19FA 7D85 1CC1 E067 6D65 70E5 4CE7 2860

Re: Tutorial: How to create your own platform-portable ID card encrypted wallet

<stkq1a$16pq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27390&group=comp.mobile.android#27390

Followup: alt.os.linux
From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 03:13:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 03:13 UTC

On Sat, 5 Feb 2022 02:56:04 -0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert wrote:

> No, it is Arlen.

This philosophy is important (see it in the sig of the prior post)
"There are few kind-hearted purposefully helpful souls who provide
free gifts to everyone, purely out of the goodness of their hearts,
and yet, there are always going to be far more unprepossessing utter
morons who hatefully disparage the mere wrapping paper without any
comprehension of the actual value of the gift."

This post is yet another attention seeking post by Dan Purgert,
who, himself, has _never_ even once in his life, added any value.

All I ask these childish hate-filled attention whores is to act like an
_adult_ for _once_ in your lives, and _add value_ to the tehnical topic.

*Is _that_ too much to ask of people like this Dan Purgert?*
a. To act like an adult?
b. To add value?

Really?
It's too much to ask of these people who wish to _destroy_ all threads?

Bearing in mind these kindergarten children have posted _death threats_
which I took seriously, and the FBI did also, the fact these hate-filled
children exist is why one needs to have at least some header privacy.

But the header, after all, is just the wrapping paper on the gift inside.
The gift is the body.

The body of my messages contain _tremendous_ value, even as the kindergarten
hate-filled kids who are trying to infest this thread _hate_ that value.

Before this thread is further infested by more of these hate-filled
kindergarten children who think they're utter geniuses for figuring out what
isn't even hidden, the adults on this newsgroup know these facts.

I don't change my style inside the body (hell, I don't even change the
screenshots, where who on earth but I propose this high organization)?
<https://i.postimg.cc/R0CCDv40/barcode01.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/qvJDMQcq/taskbarmenu02.jpg>

The headers change periodically, and have for decades, to foil aggregators,
but if it took as long as it did for these kindergarten kids, then they must
have a shockingly low IQ (I've been posting with these headers for
_thousands_ of posts for heavens sake!).

Only an utter moron, devoid of any value, would claim they're geniuses like
Dan Purgert just did.

The challenge I hand to these hate-filled kindergarten kids is for their
_next_ post to _ADD VALUE_ to the subject.

As do all of mind save for these responses against this infestation.
--
These kindergarten kids who can't add any value tell the whole world how
smart they are for figuring out what was never hidden in the first place.

Re: Tutorial: How to create your own platform-portable ID card encrypted wallet

<stlmi6$1759$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27411&group=comp.mobile.android#27411

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 11:20:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 11:20 UTC

For decades, my tutorials have always been cross platform using freeware
(the freeware makes the solutions general purpose so that everyone can
leverage the tools instantly, no matter what platform they are on).

This morning I knew absolutely nothing about generating portable encrypted
wallet files but I just finished the next test, which was for iOS, so that
everyone on any modern platform can do these three things easily.
1. _Scan_ a barcode (e.g., the Costco membership ID)
2. _Identify_ that barcode (e.g., the Costco ID is in the EAN-13 format)
3. _Generate_ a barcode image (e.g., for use at the Costco self-checkout)
And then...
4. Move that image into your _personal portable encrypted file container_.

To that end, I installed this software a few minutes ago on my iPad.
*BarcodeEasy*, by Mapnitude
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/barcodeeasy/id1095034404>

The app installed on my iOS 13.5 iPad and asked to send notifications, which
I denied; it asked to access the camera which I allowed, and then it opened
with "scan", "result", "history", "generate" & "settings" buttons on bottom.

Obnoxious ads showed up at top, but I'll ignore those ads for these tests.
1. My Costco card scan resulted in an immediate EAN-13 identification.
I long pressed on the 13-digit number to copy it to the iOS clipboard.

2. I selected the "Barcode Type" as "EAN-13" out of the list below:
Aztec, CODABAR, Code {39,93,128}, Data Matrix, EAN-8, EAN-13, ITF
MaxiCode, PDF417, QR Code, RSS 14, & UPC-A, where the barcode
size was settable and defaulted to 500x500 px and I pasted the
clipboard 13-digit number and then hit the blue REFRESH button,
which displayed the EAN-13 barcode. I then hit the green SAVE button,
which gave me a choice of PNG or JPG.

When you hit the SAVE button, a black & white image of a folder icon
shows up but I tapped it to no avail so maybe this is a s/w bug?

Otherwise, it's not at all intuitive _where_ the image was saved
as it's not in the "Photos" app, AFAICT (although you can screenshot
& edit it in a "drawing" app if that's what it must take to do it).

Also I Pressed the "Results" button and hit the round "up arrow" button,
and then "Save to Files" "On My iPad" "Downloads" but that only saved the
text, not the barcode image.

3. Assuming we figure out _where_ the image was saved to, the next step is
to move that JPG or PNG into a portable encrypted file container on iOS.

For Android, that free portable encrypted file container app would be:
*EDS Lite* by sovworks <http://www.sovworks.com/>
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.sovworks.edslite/>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sovworks.edslite>

While I haven't found any free encrypted file container apps yet for iOS
payware apps (i.e., not general purpose) appear to exist, which are:
*Disk Decipher*, by Richard Huveneers
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/disk-decipher/id516538625>
And
*Crypto Disks & Explorer Lite* (or Crypto Disks & File Explorer?)
<https://zyingp.github.io/cryptodisks/crypto-en.html>
<https://apps.apple.com/cn/app/crypto-disks-explorer-lite/id949246335?l=en&mt=8>

In summary, while only a few hours ago I knew absolutely nothing about this
process, this tutorial thread, written and tested out of the goodness of my
heart and using my innate intelligence, has enabled me to _vastly_ improve
upon the flaws in Steve's original thread (much to his benefit, I'm sure).
*How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc.*
*to Apple Wallet and to Google Pay*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/2mcAcgXtlBM>

The result is that anyone who wants to should be able to scan, identify,
generate, and store personal ID barcodes in their own personal portable
encrypted wallet for use on all the modern common consumer platforms.

As always, since Usenet is a team sport, please improve where you can as
there's just no way I know more about this than do all the rest of you.