From: gez...@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid (Opinicus)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Agent's preview function
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 07:56:54 +0300
 by: Opinicus - Thu, 15 Jul 2021 04:56 UTC

Could someone please explain, briefly, how Agent's preview function
works? It's apparently doing more than just downloading the first
couple of RAR files and peeking into them.

TIA

--
Bob
St Francis would have done better to preach to the cats

Re: Agent's preview function

<8ro5fgd194ln380fimanr0i1sotbq2tebo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2758&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2758

From: some...@a.computer.somewhere
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Agent's preview function
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 15:41:47 +0100
 by: some...@a.computer.somewhere - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 14:41 UTC

On Thu, 15 Jul 2021 07:56:54 +0300, Opinicus
<gezgin@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid> wrote:

>Could someone please explain, briefly, how Agent's preview function
>works? It's apparently doing more than just downloading the first
>couple of RAR files and peeking into them.
>
>TIA
>
>--
>Bob
>St Francis would have done better to preach to the cats

I am wary of Agent 8's 'megajoin' ability to group and extract files.
In fact I have switched it off in favour of verifying and extracting
files manually after download.

That siad, I think it works a bit like this:

a) Agent groups files which it believes constitute a set
b) it downloads the first par or par2 and the first part1.rar
c) It attempts a dummy extract from part1, and it that triggers a
password requiest, it abandons the download
d) It then downloads the rest of the set, and uses the par2 to verify
the content
e) If there are errors, it will download further par2 files and will
attempt a repair
f) after repair it will extract all the content into a folder, one
folder per download set; and will then delete the rar set, as being no
longer necessary.

Preview simply allows you to look into the first rar file of the set
which may or may not contan usable content of some sort. e.g. It
might contain a track and a half from an album. So that corresponds
roughly to a - c above.

No doubt others can improve on this explanation.

https://www.avg.com