Fascinating, a totally parochial attitude. -- Spock, "Metamorphosis", stardate 3219.8

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Problems sending emails using Agent 1.932

SubjectAuthor
* Problems sending emails using Agent 1.932Dan Musicant
+- Re: Problems sending emails using Agent 1.932Arthur Conan Doyle
+* Re: Problems sending emails using Agent 1.932jimoffla
|`- Re: Problems sending emails using Agent 1.932Ralph Fox
`- Re: Problems sending emails using Agent 1.932Ralph Fox

1
Problems sending emails using Agent 1.932

<l30ffgtu2cljpbpubugu2dv0m98c28cv15@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2761&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2761

From: man...@privacy.net (Dan Musicant)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Problems sending emails using Agent 1.932
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 19:07:54 -0700
 by: Dan Musicant - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 02:07 UTC

Suddenly starting about 5 days ago, many of my emails sent from my Agent
client are bouncing back to me. Phone conversations with my Sonic.net
ISP haven't yielded much of anything. I thought it involved a private
listserve I post to pretty regularly, but I'm seeing several of my
emails bouncing back that are going to other places. For instance to
..gmail.com recipient.

What do you think?

Dan

Email: dmusicant at sonic dot net

Re: Problems sending emails using Agent 1.932

<hk1ffg5s871ooe1hhl36sfpnms0fm7cbjp@None>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2762&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2762

From: don...@bother.com (Arthur Conan Doyle)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Problems sending emails using Agent 1.932
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 21:30:41 -0500
 by: Arthur Conan Doyle - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 02:30 UTC

Dan Musicant <man@privacy.net> wrote:

>Suddenly starting about 5 days ago, many of my emails sent from my Agent
>client are bouncing back to me. Phone conversations with my Sonic.net
>ISP haven't yielded much of anything. I thought it involved a private
>listserve I post to pretty regularly, but I'm seeing several of my
>emails bouncing back that are going to other places. For instance to
>.gmail.com recipient.
>
>What do you think?

Has Sonic (like many ISPs) started requiring an app specific/OAuth2 password for
email?

--
Usenet: The world's first (and best) social network.

Re: Problems sending emails using Agent 1.932

<qpdffg5223ick1jh4bb5qd2k9droav5cjf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2763&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2763

From: jimof...@att.net
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 01:59:12 -0400
 by: jimof...@att.net - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 05:59 UTC

On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 19:07:54 -0700, Dan Musicant <man@privacy.net>
wrote:

>Suddenly starting about 5 days ago, many of my emails sent from my Agent
>client are bouncing back to me. Phone conversations with my Sonic.net
>ISP haven't yielded much of anything. I thought it involved a private
>listserve I post to pretty regularly, but I'm seeing several of my
>emails bouncing back that are going to other places. For instance to
>.gmail.com recipient.
>
>What do you think?
>
>Dan
>

>Email: dmusicant at sonic dot net

Has anyone had any succcess using Yahoo mail servers? If so, how are
you logging in?

Re: Problems sending emails using Agent 1.932

<achffg14jhha8lrm92gd1euajiu7knu2bb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2764&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2764

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 19:47:21 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 07:47 UTC

On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 19:07:54 -0700, Dan Musicant wrote:

> Suddenly starting about 5 days ago, many of my emails sent from my Agent
> client are bouncing back to me. Phone conversations with my Sonic.net
> ISP haven't yielded much of anything. I thought it involved a private
> listserve I post to pretty regularly, but I'm seeing several of my
> emails bouncing back that are going to other places. For instance to
> .gmail.com recipient.
>
> What do you think?

Bounce messages normally contain an error message, an error code,
and/or an error status to say why the email was bounced. Without
that error information it is a bit of a pig-in-a-poke.

If you want to keep the error information private, you can look up
what the various error codes and error statuses mean. Referring to
the examples below...

* The 3-digit error codes like 553 you can look up here:
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc5321#section-4.2.1>
* The 3 number (dot-separated) error statuses like 5.3.0
you can look up here:
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc3463#section-2>

Some examples:

--
Regards
Ralph

"Ne sorga, snotor guma! Selre bið æghwæm, þæt he his freond wrece, þonne he fela murne."
-- Beowulf.

Re: Problems sending emails using Agent 1.932

<d1bnfgh4gauuue9euaguqti7cmf41tbi1p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2769&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2769

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 18:13:15 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 06:13 UTC

On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 01:59:12 -0400, jimoffla@att.net wrote:

> Has anyone had any succcess using Yahoo mail servers? If so, how are
> you logging in?

In Agent's mail server settings, the 'Password' field should contain
a Yahoo app password and _not_ your main Yahoo account password.

To get a Yahoo app password for Agent, see this Yahoo help page:
<https://help.yahoo.com/kb/new-mail-for-desktop/generate-manage-third-party-passwords-sln15241.html>

Your other Agent server settings should be as shown on this Yahoo
help page:
<https://help.yahoo.com/kb/new-mail-for-desktop/pop-access-settings-instructions-yahoo-mail-sln4724.html>

On this page under "Your login info", note the instruction:
* Password - Generate App Password
Also note the link at the top right:
Generate and manage third-party app passwords

Screen-shots of Agent settings:
Inbound Email <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=24_iu3efmk6.png>
Outbound Email <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=24_2d8vtbbf.png>

--