From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Gutenprint
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 21:34:22 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 21:34 UTC

This problem only showed up in Mint 20.3.

When I try to print a gimp image via gutenprint, I can only see a dot in the left-hand window pane.
I cannot enlarge it in any way.

I have uninstalled, boot and reinstalled to no avail.

?

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-95-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: Gutenprint

<ssfdh2$m9h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2769&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2769

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Gutenprint
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 17:52:58 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 22:52 UTC

On 1/21/2022 4:34 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> This problem only showed up in Mint 20.3.
>
> When I try to print a gimp image via gutenprint, I can only see a dot in the left-hand window pane.
> I cannot enlarge it in any way.
>
> I have uninstalled, boot and reinstalled to no avail.
>
> ?

No, it doesn't need a lot of uninstalling.

When you open the Gutenprint window, it is expecting
a printer definition. My favorite printer is a "fake",
and is used for print to file. The HP750CM was one of the
roll fed inkjets that printed on 36" wide paper. We had that
for CAD proof-prints (if someone needed such a thing). I
got in the habit of abusing just the .ppd file for
declaring fake printers and making PostScript output.

[Picture] If the image is blank, right click the blank pane and select "Reload"

https://i.postimg.cc/0QHB3q5F/gutenprint.gif

You might already have some other kind of printer set up,
where just selecting the "Name" is enough to satisfy the
previewer.

Paul

Re: Gutenprint

<20220122161232.23bbe867d7328e43a99962d1@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2781&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2781

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 16:12:32 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 16:12 UTC

On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 17:52:58 -0500
Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> On 1/21/2022 4:34 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> > This problem only showed up in Mint 20.3.
> >
> > When I try to print a gimp image via gutenprint, I can only see a dot in the left-hand window pane.
> > I cannot enlarge it in any way.
> >
> > I have uninstalled, boot and reinstalled to no avail.
> >
> > ?
>
> No, it doesn't need a lot of uninstalling.
>
> When you open the Gutenprint window, it is expecting
> a printer definition. My favorite printer is a "fake",
> and is used for print to file. The HP750CM was one of the
> roll fed inkjets that printed on 36" wide paper. We had that
> for CAD proof-prints (if someone needed such a thing). I
> got in the habit of abusing just the .ppd file for
> declaring fake printers and making PostScript output.
>
> [Picture] If the image is blank, right click the blank pane and select "Reload"
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/0QHB3q5F/gutenprint.gif
>
> You might already have some other kind of printer set up,
> where just selecting the "Name" is enough to satisfy the
> previewer.
>
> Paul

Sadly, my Gutenprint doesn't understand the rules.
I use a Brother DCP-L3510CDW laser printer.
After much fiddling around I got its name to appear beside "Printer Name".
I usually leave it as printer.
Same PPD as I had in Mint 20.2

But the effect, or lack of it is the same.

I took a screen print and thought that I could make it available online.
Dropbox requires an address. There must be other methods but I haven't had time to search thoroughly enough.

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-95-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: Gutenprint

<20220123220854.608264327ccbc1753c1e4521@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2796&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2796

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 22:08:54 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 22:08 UTC

On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 16:12:32 +0000
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 17:52:58 -0500
> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
> > On 1/21/2022 4:34 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> > > This problem only showed up in Mint 20.3.
> > >
> > > When I try to print a gimp image via gutenprint, I can only see a dot in the left-hand window pane.
> > > I cannot enlarge it in any way.
> > >
> > > I have uninstalled, boot and reinstalled to no avail.
> > >
> > > ?
> >
> > No, it doesn't need a lot of uninstalling.
> >
> > When you open the Gutenprint window, it is expecting
> > a printer definition. My favorite printer is a "fake",
> > and is used for print to file. The HP750CM was one of the
> > roll fed inkjets that printed on 36" wide paper. We had that
> > for CAD proof-prints (if someone needed such a thing). I
> > got in the habit of abusing just the .ppd file for
> > declaring fake printers and making PostScript output.
> >
> > [Picture] If the image is blank, right click the blank pane and select "Reload"
> >
> > https://i.postimg.cc/0QHB3q5F/gutenprint.gif
> >
> > You might already have some other kind of printer set up,
> > where just selecting the "Name" is enough to satisfy the
> > previewer.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> Sadly, my Gutenprint doesn't understand the rules.
> I use a Brother DCP-L3510CDW laser printer.
> After much fiddling around I got its name to appear beside "Printer Name".
> I usually leave it as printer.
> Same PPD as I had in Mint 20.2
>
> But the effect, or lack of it is the same.
>
> I took a screen print and thought that I could make it available online.
> Dropbox requires an address. There must be other methods but I haven't had time to search thoroughly enough.

I decided to run gimp as root. It and gutenprint ran perfectly.
That meant that it was a permissions problem.
I fixed it by changing the permissions of the cups ppd file:

$ sudo chmod 644 /etc/cups/ppd/DCPL3510CDW.ppd