From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Traffic egenrated by synching apps across devices?
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 10:20:00 GMT
 by: Pamela - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 10:20 UTC

Are there any published estimates about how much traffic is generated
by Google and others synching user data between devices?

I mean data such as browser bookmarks or browser history -- as well as
notekeeping apps such as Google Keep. There are many other instances.

There's a lot of this going on and I'm often impressed by how quickly
Google synchs user data but how much traffic is created?

Re: Traffic egenrated by synching apps across devices?

<stu2bl$rrg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27601&group=comp.mobile.android#27601

From: joebeanf...@nospam.duh (Joe Beanfish)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 15:31:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joe Beanfish - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 15:31 UTC

On Tue, 08 Feb 2022 10:20:00 +0000, Pamela wrote:

> Are there any published estimates about how much traffic is generated
> by Google and others synching user data between devices?
>
> I mean data such as browser bookmarks or browser history -- as well as
> notekeeping apps such as Google Keep. There are many other instances.
>
> There's a lot of this going on and I'm often impressed by how quickly
> Google synchs user data but how much traffic is created?

IDK about studies, but bookmarks, history, text notes are all
miniscule amounts of data compared to the ads, images, videos
one views on their devices all day.

Re: Traffic egenrated by synching apps across devices?

<stu5ob$41f$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27610&group=comp.mobile.android#27610

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 16:29:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 16:29 UTC

On Tue, 8 Feb 2022 15:31:01 -0000 (UTC), Joe Beanfish wrote:

>> There's a lot of this going on and I'm often impressed by how quickly
>> Google synchs user data but how much traffic is created?
>
> IDK about studies, but bookmarks, history, text notes are all
> miniscule amounts of data compared to the ads, images, videos
> one views on their devices all day.

There have been _many_ published results of how each mothership syncs data
on the typical phone, where Apple syncs a lot but still far less than
Google.

On a phone in an intelligent user's hands, the data syncing flips where you
can't stop the Apple syncing (because of the mothership requirement) but
it's easy to stop the Google syncing.

The point is that it's there, but the amount is up to the users themselves.

Re: Traffic egenrated by synching apps across devices?

<XnsAE396F833F67337B93@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27722&group=comp.mobile.android#27722

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 10:57:43 GMT
 by: Pamela - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 10:57 UTC

On 15:31 8 Feb 2022, Joe Beanfish said:

> On Tue, 08 Feb 2022 10:20:00 +0000, Pamela wrote:
>
>> Are there any published estimates about how much traffic is
>> generated by Google and others synching user data between devices?
>>
>> I mean data such as browser bookmarks or browser history -- as well
>> as notekeeping apps such as Google Keep. There are many other
>> instances.
>>
>> There's a lot of this going on and I'm often impressed by how
>> quickly Google synchs user data but how much traffic is created?
>
> IDK about studies, but bookmarks, history, text notes are all
> miniscule amounts of data compared to the ads, images, videos one
> views on their devices all day.

There are 2.5 billion active users of Android plus Apple too. Every
Google Keep note any one of them makes makes gets mirrored on their
other devices, assuming they have them. When one of these users visits
a web site, the URL goes into the browser history and is mirrored. And
so on.

Each fragment of data may be small but the number of users is huge and
the total volume of traffic (addding in packet and routing overheads)
is surely substantial?

Re: Traffic egenrated by synching apps across devices?

<su0md1$gni$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27728&group=comp.mobile.android#27728

From: joebeanf...@nospam.duh (Joe Beanfish)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 15:25:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joe Beanfish - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 15:25 UTC

On Wed, 09 Feb 2022 10:57:43 +0000, Pamela wrote:

> On 15:31 8 Feb 2022, Joe Beanfish said:
>
>> On Tue, 08 Feb 2022 10:20:00 +0000, Pamela wrote:
>>
>>> Are there any published estimates about how much traffic is
>>> generated by Google and others synching user data between devices?
>>>
>>> I mean data such as browser bookmarks or browser history -- as well
>>> as notekeeping apps such as Google Keep. There are many other
>>> instances.
>>>
>>> There's a lot of this going on and I'm often impressed by how
>>> quickly Google synchs user data but how much traffic is created?
>>
>> IDK about studies, but bookmarks, history, text notes are all
>> miniscule amounts of data compared to the ads, images, videos one
>> views on their devices all day.
>
> There are 2.5 billion active users of Android plus Apple too. Every
> Google Keep note any one of them makes makes gets mirrored on their
> other devices, assuming they have them. When one of these users visits
> a web site, the URL goes into the browser history and is mirrored. And
> so on.
>
> Each fragment of data may be small but the number of users is huge and
> the total volume of traffic (addding in packet and routing overheads)
> is surely substantial?

I'm referring to the amount of data to/from an individual user's device.
Yes, the servers where this data congregates take huge traffic from all
over. But it's still way less than the latest meme image seen by millions
of people.

Re: Traffic egenrated by synching apps across devices?

<su162h$m6j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27753&group=comp.mobile.android#27753

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 19:52:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 19:52 UTC

On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 15:25:21 -0000 (UTC), Joe Beanfish wrote:

> I'm referring to the amount of data to/from an individual user's device.
> Yes, the servers where this data congregates take huge traffic from all
> over. But it's still way less than the latest meme image seen by millions
> of people.

And, more to my point, on Android (but not on iOS) you have almost full and
complete control over that data transfer between you and the Mothership.
<https://i.postimg.cc/NG5pHyBx/aurora10.jpg> *No need for a Google Account*

Unfortunately, on iOS, you're _forced_ to log into the mothership (and if
you don't, look at what the Apple Mothership unilaterally forces you to do!)
<https://i.postimg.cc/8k3GQyj4/appleid09.jpg> *Apple tracks your activity*
<https://i.postimg.cc/hhFNJ5mq/appleid010.jpg> *Apps become non functional*