"Irrationality is the square root of all evil" -- Douglas Hofstadter

computers / alt.os.linux.suse / Re: no more Seamonkey?

SubjectAuthor
* no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?bad sector
+* Re: no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?Malcolm
|+* Re: no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?Andrew
||`* Re: no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?Carlos E.R.
|| `* Re: no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?Andrew
||  `- Re: no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?Carlos E.R.
|`* Re: no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?Tristan Miller
| +- Re: no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?Andrew
| +* Re: no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?Carlos E.R.
| |`* Re: no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?Tristan Miller
| | `- Re: no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?Malcolm
| `* Re: no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?Andrew
|  `* Re: no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?Tristan Miller
|   `* Re: no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?Tristan Miller
|    `* Re: no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?Andrew
|     `* Re: no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?Tristan Miller
|      `- Re: no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?Tristan Miller
`* Re: no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?Tristan Miller
 +* Re: no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?Tristan Miller
 |`* Re: no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?Tristan Miller
 | +- Re: no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?Andrew
 | `- Re: no more Seamonkey in tumbleweed?Andrew
 `* Re: no more Seamonkey? 🪂bad sector
  `* Re: no more Seamonkey? 🪂Andrew
   `* Re: no more Seamonkey? 🪂bad sector
    `* Re: no more Seamonkey?Andrew
     `* Re: no more Seamonkey?bad sector
      `- Re: no more Seamonkey?Andrew

Pages:12
Re: no more Seamonkey?

<sgdb8d$hn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=274&group=alt.os.linux.suse#274

From: Dou...@hyperspace.vogon.gov (Andrew)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: no more Seamonkey?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 14:47:09 +0200
 by: Andrew - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 12:47 UTC

bad sector wrote:
> On 8/27/21 10:04 AM, Andrew wrote:
>> bad sector wrote:

>>> 🪂
>>>
>>> Thank you VERY MUCH, it's now in the TW repo
>>>
>>> But it still wasn't in the Leap-15.3 repo so I grabbed the package
>>>  here
>>>
>>> https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey-2.53.9.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2
>>>

>>> unpacked it into /usr/local and linked the binary to my plasma panel
>>> like so:
>>>
>>> /usr/local/seamonkey/seamonkey -edit
>>>
>>> it's a fire-axe approach but it gives me all that I need from it!
>>>
>>> I'll ask the bartender to say a mass for your soul :-)
>>>
>> Seamonkey may not be in the standard 15.3 repository - I get it from
>>  repository
>> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_Leap_15.3/
>>  nowadays - but https://en.opensuse.org/Rust indicates that it is
>> possible to install newer versions of Rust, which means Seamonkey
>> 2.53.x levels can now be built. This was a prerequisite to getting
>> Seamonkey back into the standard repositories.
>>
>> The levels of Rust currently provided are 1.43, 1.53 and 1.54.
>> (looking at YaST -> Software Management).
>>
>> The Mozilla repository I use has one big disadvantage, an updated
>> Seamonkey is provided every few days.
>
> https://software.opensuse.org/package/seamonkey
> says:
> "There is no official package available for openSUSE Leap 15.3"
>
> To me this suggests that there may be issues with using
> other versions. Leap, 15.3 today, is my go-to system. If I
> wanna risk non-starting apps, system lockups or boot
> failures I can always try Tumbleweed.  This is my perhaps
> mistaken but learned take on it.

The reason for the missing Seamonkey was that OpenSUSE 15.3 did not
supply the level of Rust necessary to generate 2.53.x levels of
Seamonkey (Rust is a requirement for generating SM, not executing it).
This deficiency has been recognised and fixed - newer versions of Rust
can now be installed under 15.3. As an aside, I'm told that newer
versions of Rust may possibly break some obscure older functionality -
this is the reason Rust was unchanged from - I think - OpenSUSE 15.1.

Since the Mozilla Test repository has to be able to generate Firefox,
Seamonkey, Thunderbird and possibly some other sins, and they (a guess)
all need the newer version of Rust, that server has a compatible level.
That is why that server is the obvious place to go as long as OpenSUSE
main does not supply Seamonkey. It is also where you can get the
current - rather than the ESR - version of Firefox if you feel that way
inclined. Not sure about Thunderbird, the Mozilla Test repository
offers 78.13.0 and 91.0.2 (the "normal" version is 78.12.0) but I don't
have a clue how Zypper chooses which one to take.

Re: no more Seamonkey?

<o-ydncmLsYzlLrf8nZ2dnUU7-N_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=275&group=alt.os.linux.suse#275

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 18:06:45 -0400
 by: bad sector - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 22:06 UTC

On 8/28/21 8:47 AM, Andrew wrote:
> bad sector wrote:

>>> Seamonkey may not be in the standard 15.3 repository - I get it
>>> from
>>>
>>> repository
>>> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_Leap_15.3/
>>>
>>> nowadays - but https://en.opensuse.org/Rust indicates that it
>>> is possible to install newer versions of Rust, which means
>>> Seamonkey 2.53.x levels can now be built. This was a
>>> prerequisite to getting Seamonkey back into the standard
>>> repositories.
>>>
>>> The levels of Rust currently provided are 1.43, 1.53 and 1.54.
>>> (looking at YaST -> Software Management).
>>>
>>> The Mozilla repository I use has one big disadvantage, an
>>> updated Seamonkey is provided every few days.
>>
>> https://software.opensuse.org/package/seamonkey
>>
>> says: "There is no official package available for openSUSE Leap
>> 15.3"
>>
>> To me this suggests that there may be issues with using other
>> versions. Leap, 15.3 today, is my go-to system. If I wanna risk
>> non-starting apps, system lockups or boot failures I can always
>> try Tumbleweed. This is my perhaps mistaken but learned take on
>> it.
>>
> The reason for the missing Seamonkey was that OpenSUSE 15.3 did not
> supply the level of Rust necessary to generate 2.53.x levels of
> Seamonkey (Rust is a requirement for generating SM, not executing
> it). This deficiency has been recognised and fixed - newer versions
> of Rust can now be installed under 15.3. As an aside, I'm told that
> newer versions of Rust may possibly break some obscure older
> functionality - this is the reason Rust was unchanged from - I think
> - OpenSUSE 15.1.
>
> Since the Mozilla Test repository has to be able to generate
> Firefox, Seamonkey, Thunderbird and possibly some other sins, and
> they (a guess) all need the newer version of Rust, that server has a
> compatible level. That is why that server is the obvious place to
> go as long as OpenSUSE main does not supply Seamonkey. It is also
> where you can get the current - rather than the ESR - version of
> Firefox if you feel that way inclined. Not sure about Thunderbird,
> the Mozilla Test repository offers 78.13.0 and 91.0.2 (the "normal"
> version is 78.12.0) but I don't have a clue how Zypper chooses which
> one to take.

Thanks for the explanation and url, they finally upped it to the
standard repo, I also added the mozilla one. For my money the
Mozilla and Gnome as well as the nVidia and Packman repos
should both have been left int the community-repos list of Yast.

https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_Leap_15.3/

Re: no more Seamonkey?

<sggpki$1ql5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=278&group=alt.os.linux.suse#278

From: Dou...@hyperspace.vogon.gov (Andrew)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 22:10:58 +0200
 by: Andrew - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 20:10 UTC

bad sector wrote:
> On 8/28/21 8:47 AM, Andrew wrote:
>> bad sector wrote:

>>> https://software.opensuse.org/package/seamonkey
>>>
>>> says: "There is no official package available for openSUSE Leap 15.3"
>>>
>>> To me this suggests that there may be issues with using other
>>> versions. Leap, 15.3 today, is my go-to system. If I wanna risk
>>> non-starting apps, system lockups or boot failures I can always
>>> try Tumbleweed. This is my perhaps mistaken but learned take on
>>> it.
>>>
>> The reason for the missing Seamonkey was that OpenSUSE 15.3 did not
>> supply the level of Rust necessary to generate 2.53.x levels of
>> Seamonkey (Rust is a requirement for generating SM, not executing it).
>> This deficiency has been recognised and fixed - newer versions of Rust
>> can now be installed under 15.3.  As an aside, I'm told that newer
>> versions of Rust may possibly break some obscure older functionality -
>> this is the reason Rust was unchanged from - I think - OpenSUSE 15.1.
>>
>> Since the Mozilla Test repository has to be able to generate
>> Firefox, Seamonkey, Thunderbird and possibly some other sins, and
>> they (a guess) all need the newer version of Rust, that server has a
>>  compatible level. That is why that server is the obvious place to
>> go as long as OpenSUSE main does not supply Seamonkey.  It is also
>> where you can get the current - rather than the ESR - version of
>> Firefox if you feel that way inclined. Not sure about Thunderbird,
>> the Mozilla Test repository offers 78.13.0 and 91.0.2 (the "normal"
>> version is 78.12.0) but I don't have a clue how Zypper chooses which
>> one to take.
>
> Thanks for the explanation and url, they finally upped it to the
> standard repo, I also added the mozilla one. For my money the
> Mozilla and Gnome as well as the nVidia and Packman repos
> should both have been left int the community-repos list of Yast.
>
> https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_Leap_15.3/

Oh yes, now I see it as well.
"They" is Tristan Miller, he's the maintainer nowadays.
Thank you Tristan!