The moon is a planet just like the Earth, only it is even deader.

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Re: Email address shown on Mailing List

SubjectAuthor
* Email address shown on Mailing ListTerry Pinnell
+* Re: Email address shown on Mailing ListJim H
|+* Re: Email address shown on Mailing ListTerry Pinnell
||+* Re: Email address shown on Mailing ListDennis Lee Bieber
|||`* Re: Email address shown on Mailing ListTerry Pinnell
||| +* Re: Email address shown on Mailing ListRalph Fox
||| `- Re: Email address shown on Mailing ListDennis Lee Bieber
||`* Re: Email address shown on Mailing ListRalph Fox
|| `- Re: Email address shown on Mailing ListTerry Pinnell
|`* Re: Email address shown on Mailing ListBorkedBorg
| `* Re: Email address shown on Mailing ListJim H
|  +- Re: Email address shown on Mailing ListBorkedBorg
|  `* Re: Email address shown on Mailing ListArthur Conan Doyle
|   `* Re: Email address shown on Mailing ListGeoff
|    `* Re: Email address shown on Mailing ListRalph Fox
|     `* Re: Email address shown on Mailing ListDennis Lee Bieber
|      `- Re: Email address shown on Mailing ListRalph Fox
`* Re: Email address shown on Mailing ListSam
 `* Re: Email address shown on Mailing ListNobody
  `- Re: Email address shown on Mailing ListTerry Pinnell

1
Email address shown on Mailing List

<m4r5ggl0n40kvr9vujqb45i79145v4kn29@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2772&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2772

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 08:00:42 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 07:00 UTC

Bit long this, but think it needs a bit of background so hope you'll
bear with me.

I subscribe to a Mailing List:OpenSCAD general discussion
<discuss@lists.openscad.org>. As discussed here before, if I use my
Gmail address to post a new message or a reply to an existing thread, I
don't see it in my Agent inbox until/unless someone quotes it in a
reply.

I don't like Mailing Lists. I originally subscribed to the associated
forum, http://forum.openscad.org/, placing me in a tiny minority within
this long-established community. But it was subsequently closed a week
or so later following the sad demise of its primary developer. Logically
following a discussion (or even editing a post) is therefore seriously
handicapped.

Do I understand correctly that this is down to Gmail and there's nothing
that I or the List administrator can do about it?

If the answer is Yes, I'll raise the different problem when using my
alternative BT address.

Terry

Re: Email address shown on Mailing List

<1le8ggti22tfjfkp2gtae0d2u31qkc9jti@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2773&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2773

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Jim H)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Sender: Jim Higgins <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 17:49:19 +0000
 by: Jim H - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 17:49 UTC

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 08:00:42 +0100, in
<m4r5ggl0n40kvr9vujqb45i79145v4kn29@4ax.com>, Terry Pinnell
<me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:

>Bit long this, but think it needs a bit of background so hope you'll
>bear with me.
>
>I subscribe to a Mailing List:OpenSCAD general discussion
><discuss@lists.openscad.org>. As discussed here before, if I use my
>Gmail address to post a new message or a reply to an existing thread, I
>don't see it in my Agent inbox until/unless someone quotes it in a
>reply.
>
>I don't like Mailing Lists. I originally subscribed to the associated
>forum, http://forum.openscad.org/, placing me in a tiny minority within
>this long-established community. But it was subsequently closed a week
>or so later following the sad demise of its primary developer. Logically
>following a discussion (or even editing a post) is therefore seriously
>handicapped.
>
>Do I understand correctly that this is down to Gmail and there's nothing
>that I or the List administrator can do about it?
>
>If the answer is Yes, I'll raise the different problem when using my
>alternative BT address.

Yes. It's a Gmail thing that mail you send to a mailing list isn't
delivered to your Gmail mailbox when the list server sends it back to
you. Apparently they expect you to keep a copy of everything you send.
I've never understood the popularity of Gmail.
--
Jim H

<uqf8ggt9rcngbjvulbqb62lc976mncoelv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2774&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2774

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 19:13:45 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 18:13 UTC

Jim H <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>I've never understood the popularity of Gmail.

Thanks Jim, understood. (Me neither.)

I can get them to my inbox if I send from my BT address.

HOWEVER... they are then shown with my BT username, which is my BT email
address, and I don't like that.

Looking at recent posts I see only one other subscriber for which this
occurs, as shown in my screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xayqaarl3k0fj0d/List-Email-Issues.jpg?raw=1

I believe I *must* use my email address as BT Username (and researching
the BT Community left me determined not to risk changing it).

Is there any other way to fix things so that my posts get displayed as
from 'Terry'?

Re: Email address shown on Mailing List

<59i8gg52dfgqpvmpkc9q5h9nkktdcl10ic@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2775&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2775

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 14:48:09 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 18:48 UTC

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 19:13:45 +0100, Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid>
declaimed the following:

>Looking at recent posts I see only one other subscriber for which this
>occurs, as shown in my screenshot:
>
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/xayqaarl3k0fj0d/List-Email-Issues.jpg?raw=1
>
>I believe I *must* use my email address as BT Username (and researching
>the BT Community left me determined not to risk changing it).
>
>Is there any other way to fix things so that my posts get displayed as
>from 'Terry'?

Have you filled in the "full name" field of the persona configuration
for that account?

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

<ifr8gg52sm4n3i22bdikji5dm7h9dr9l71@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2776&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2776

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 22:25:27 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 21:25 UTC

Not sure which box, Dennis, but here is my BT Persona setting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g83664zzmseptn8/Persona-BT.jpg?raw=1

Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 19:13:45 +0100, Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid>
>declaimed the following:
>

>>Looking at recent posts I see only one other subscriber for which this
>>occurs, as shown in my screenshot:
>>
>>https://www.dropbox.com/s/xayqaarl3k0fj0d/List-Email-Issues.jpg?raw=1
>>
>>I believe I *must* use my email address as BT Username (and researching
>>the BT Community left me determined not to risk changing it).
>>
>>Is there any other way to fix things so that my posts get displayed as
>>from 'Terry'?
>
> Have you filled in the "full name" field of the persona configuration
>for that account?

Re: Email address shown on Mailing List

<ca29gg9ja13oh1cmlqppmss6lfk3bg5nan@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2777&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2777

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 11:20:58 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 23:20 UTC

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 22:25:27 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> Not sure which box, Dennis, but here is my BT Persona setting.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/g83664zzmseptn8/Persona-BT.jpg?raw=1

Have you filled in the "Full Name" box shown in _this_ screen-shot?

<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=24_dm3f7gmschgorm2.png>

If there is nothing in the "Full Name" box, then the message list will
show your email address and not what is in the "Full Name" box.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

There are three kinds of mice:
1. Mice who tell other mice to bell the cat (but who would never do it themselves).
2. Mice who will attempt to bell the cat (and die trying).
3. Mice who question, "but who will bell the cat?"

Re: Email address shown on Mailing List

<jf19ggdlp85qpiklaul87gbrnhn2avj6df@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2778&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2778

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 11:20:58 +1200

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 19:13:45 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> HOWEVER... they are then shown with my BT username, which is my BT email
> address, and I don't like that.
>
> Looking at recent posts I see only one other subscriber for which this
> occurs, as shown in my screenshot:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/xayqaarl3k0fj0d/List-Email-Issues.jpg?raw=1

I trust you are well aware that this is _not_ a way of keeping your
email address private.

If you turn on Agent's setting "Show Author's full email address",
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=24_o9f12v3ddkage7p.png>
then you will see the email addresses next to the names.

--
Regards
Ralph

"Ne sorga, snotor guma! Selre bið æghwæm, þæt he his freond wrece, þonne he fela murne."
-- Beowulf.

<ju99gg9kbdskq6k3s6nkqhaeft5ek4tqfr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2779&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2779

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 21:31:30 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 01:31 UTC

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 22:25:27 +0100, Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid>
declaimed the following:

>Not sure which box, Dennis, but here is my BT Persona setting.
>
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/g83664zzmseptn8/Persona-BT.jpg?raw=1

Click [Edit] and look...

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

<ie2agg5kn8hm9j90qglubq9e1kt4s0ak6d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2780&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2780

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 09:30:15 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 08:30 UTC

Dennis, Ralph: Thanks, yes, that does contain my full name.

Terry

====================

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 22:25:27 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>> Not sure which box, Dennis, but here is my BT Persona setting.
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/g83664zzmseptn8/Persona-BT.jpg?raw=1
>

>Have you filled in the "Full Name" box shown in _this_ screen-shot?
>
> <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=24_dm3f7gmschgorm2.png>
>
>If there is nothing in the "Full Name" box, then the message list will
>show your email address and not what is in the "Full Name" box.
>

>> Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 19:13:45 +0100, Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid>
>>> declaimed the following:

>>> Have you filled in the "full name" field of the persona configuration
>>> for that account?

Re: Email address shown on Mailing List

<sg2agg5daat0or02pt7vfht3l7koetstj9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2781&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2781

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 09:32:53 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 08:32 UTC

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 19:13:45 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>> HOWEVER... they are then shown with my BT username, which is my BT email
>> address, and I don't like that.
>>
>> Looking at recent posts I see only one other subscriber for which this
>> occurs, as shown in my screenshot:
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/xayqaarl3k0fj0d/List-Email-Issues.jpg?raw=1
>

>I trust you are well aware that this is _not_ a way of keeping your
>email address private.
>
>If you turn on Agent's setting "Show Author's full email address",
> <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=24_o9f12v3ddkage7p.png>
>then you will see the email addresses next to the names.

Thanks, yes. Or just open full header. But I'd still rather not see my
email prominently displayed every time.

Terry

Re: Email address shown on Mailing List

<l4raggp086aebb2qath1ncscng5sf41rgi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2782&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2782

From: BorkedB...@13of9.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 08:42:45 -0700
 by: BorkedB...@13of9.com - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 15:42 UTC

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 17:49:19 +0000, Jim H <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>I've never understood the popularity of Gmail.

Way back in the dawn of history when Gmail started up you had to be invited in
by someone who was already signed up. There was no junk or spam to be seen.

Re: Email address shown on Mailing List

<3qsaggdgg4kr78kd3ii9qto41epdv906ut@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2783&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2783

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Jim H)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Sender: Jim Higgins <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 16:07:53 +0000
 by: Jim H - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 16:07 UTC

On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 08:42:45 -0700, in
<l4raggp086aebb2qath1ncscng5sf41rgi@4ax.com>, BorkedBorg@13of9.com
wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 17:49:19 +0000, Jim H <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>I've never understood the popularity of Gmail.
>
>Way back in the dawn of history when Gmail started up you had to be invited in
>by someone who was already signed up. There was no junk or spam to be seen.

"Way back in the dawn of history" that approach was a good way to make
everyone think it was "exclusive" so they wanted to be invited.

I had maybe a dozen friends ask me to invite them... not knowing I
couldn't because I wasn't a Gmail user. Folks considered to be
"computer savvy" by their friends probably experienced the same thing.

Looking over a friend's shoulder, the interface sucked then and, tho
improved a bit, still sucks. And I trust Google about as far as I can
throw them. I don't care that they know what I search for, but as
boring as it would be, they aren't going to see my email.
--
Jim H

<m2uaggl7apeat42bncq8e60t98lj27c8u0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2784&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2784

From: BorkedB...@13of9.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 09:23:23 -0700
 by: BorkedB...@13of9.com - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 16:23 UTC

On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 16:07:53 +0000, Jim H <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>And I trust Google about as far as I can throw them.

Nor MS. Nor Yahoo. Nor Apple.

Nor anyone, really. :)

Re: Email address shown on Mailing List

<2s1bgghjok38shvlqm7k91fsj2dp5f5mlf@None>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2785&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2785

From: don...@bother.com (Arthur Conan Doyle)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 12:27:20 -0500
 by: Arthur Conan Doyle - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 17:27 UTC

Jim H <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>And I trust Google about as far as I can
>throw them. I don't care that they know what I search for, but as
>boring as it would be, they aren't going to see my email.

I feel the same, but noone does a better job at spam filtering. Haven't created
any special filters and rarely see any in my inbox. Usually 10 or 20 in the spam
folder every few days.

--
Usenet: The world's first (and best) social network.

<0rbbgghlrpem7or4aoig14qeu97hsgpj3o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2786&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2786

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2021 09:12:41 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 21:12 UTC

On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 09:30:15 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> Dennis, Ralph: Thanks, yes, that does contain my full name.
>
> Terry

This is a puzzler, but there are still other things which could be
checked...

1. BT

When you are using your BT email account, it sounds as if your
outgoing email to the mailing list may have your name Tarry in the
"From" field but the return email from the mailing list does not have
your name Terry in the "From" field.

This appears to be the sort of thing which is under the control of the
mailing list server. When you registered with the mailing list (using
your BT account), check your settings there to see if the mailing list
has your name Terry registered with your BT email address.

You earlier wrote

| I believe I *must* use my email address as BT Username (and researching
| the BT Community left me determined not to risk changing it).

This may be true for the username field when Agent logs on to get or
send BT email, but are you also using your BT email address instead of
your name Terry on the mailing list?

2. Gmail

When you are using your Gmail account, Gmail will not put your own
mailing list post into your Gmail Inbox until/unless someone quotes
it in a reply.

Please find one which did appear in your Gmail Inbox after someone
quoted it. Check whether that is a copy of the post in your Gmail
Inbox or the actual post back from the mailing list. To tell the
difference, look at the full headers.
* The copy of the post in your Gmail Inbox will have exactly one
"Received" header showing it was received from your own computer.

If you are seeing Gmail's copy of your own outgoing post which is in
your Gmail Inbox, then you cannot be sure it is including your name
Terry in the From header of emails it sends back to you when you sent
the post from your Gmail account. Perhaps it is doing the same as
when you use your BT account to send and receive?

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Betere byþ oft feðre þonne oferfeðre.

<2mlegghbedmlccdmllos2avidk0scvgkao@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2787&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2787

From: geo...@invalid.invalid (Geoff)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2021 19:24:21 -0700
 by: Geoff - Mon, 2 Aug 2021 02:24 UTC

On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 12:27:20 -0500, Arthur Conan Doyle
<dont@bother.com> wrote:

>Jim H <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>And I trust Google about as far as I can
>>throw them. I don't care that they know what I search for, but as
>>boring as it would be, they aren't going to see my email.
>
>I feel the same, but noone does a better job at spam filtering. Haven't created
>any special filters and rarely see any in my inbox. Usually 10 or 20 in the spam
>folder every few days.

Google does a creditable job of spam filtering but it is not perfect.
I get at least 4 pieces of spam every couple of days. The best job of
spam filtering is done by Apple and Microsoft. I have email accounts
on each and two on Gmail.

Re: Email address shown on Mailing List

<ck3fggl1dt4pvl851o48415ako20viv1bb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2788&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2788

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2021 18:27:34 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Mon, 2 Aug 2021 06:27 UTC

On Sun, 01 Aug 2021 19:24:21 -0700, Geoff wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 12:27:20 -0500, Arthur Conan Doyle
> <dont@bother.com> wrote:
>
>> Jim H <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> And I trust Google about as far as I can
>>> throw them. I don't care that they know what I search for, but as
>>> boring as it would be, they aren't going to see my email.
>>
>> I feel the same, but noone does a better job at spam filtering. Haven't created
>> any special filters and rarely see any in my inbox. Usually 10 or 20 in the spam
>> folder every few days.
>
> Google does a creditable job of spam filtering but it is not perfect.
> I get at least 4 pieces of spam every couple of days. The best job of
> spam filtering is done by Apple and Microsoft. I have email accounts
> on each and two on Gmail.

I never get any spam in my Google Gmail Inbox.
Every few months I get a series of spams in my Microsoft outlook.com Inbox.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

🚫🔥📧

<to8ggg1tq64nbvca6sn86ho6di78apiaeu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2789&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2789

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2021 12:54:48 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Mon, 2 Aug 2021 16:54 UTC

On Mon, 02 Aug 2021 18:27:34 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> declaimed
the following:

>I never get any spam in my Google Gmail Inbox.
>Every few months I get a series of spams in my Microsoft outlook.com Inbox.

And they were probably sent from users with Gmail accounts...
Considering how much Usenet spam has Gmail accounts.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

<ateggg5m0bb1e4fh1m4c6aolaisr7s52ra@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2790&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2790

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 06:52:46 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Mon, 2 Aug 2021 18:52 UTC

On Mon, 02 Aug 2021 12:54:48 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Aug 2021 18:27:34 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> declaimed
> the following:
>
>> I never get any spam in my Google Gmail Inbox.
>> Every few months I get a series of spams in my Microsoft outlook.com Inbox.
>
> And they were probably sent from users with Gmail accounts...
> Considering how much Usenet spam has Gmail accounts.

No, none of that email spam was sent via a Gmail account. The last round
was from an @email.ABCmouse.com address.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

<se9rvf$82q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2791&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2791

From: sam...@samt.invalid (Sam)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2021 15:35:25 -0700
 by: Sam - Mon, 2 Aug 2021 22:35 UTC

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 08:00:42 +0100, Terry Pinnell
<me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:

>Bit long this, but think it needs a bit of background so hope you'll
>bear with me.
>
>I subscribe to a Mailing List:OpenSCAD general discussion
><discuss@lists.openscad.org>. As discussed here before, if I use my
>Gmail address to post a new message or a reply to an existing thread, I
>don't see it in my Agent inbox until/unless someone quotes it in a
>reply.
>
>I don't like Mailing Lists. I originally subscribed to the associated
>forum, http://forum.openscad.org/, placing me in a tiny minority within
>this long-established community. But it was subsequently closed a week
>or so later following the sad demise of its primary developer. Logically
>following a discussion (or even editing a post) is therefore seriously
>handicapped.
>
>Do I understand correctly that this is down to Gmail and there's nothing
>that I or the List administrator can do about it?
>
>If the answer is Yes, I'll raise the different problem when using my
>alternative BT address.
>
>Terry

Google automatically sends your sent email to your 'Sent mailbox'
file. You can set up Agent to file your messages in the same folder
that you use for your openscad folder.
When you create or reply to a openscad message there is a 'Filing:'
box that you can choose to file that email in.

--

Democracy: Three wolves and a lamb vote for dinner.
Republic: Three wolves and a lamb vote for dinner,

Re: Email address shown on Mailing List

<nq2hggtgos0jftk5hh5ma5nsh4r7sug8m4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2792&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2792

From: joc...@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2021 17:30:13 -0700
 by: Nobody - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 00:30 UTC

On Mon, 02 Aug 2021 15:35:25 -0700, Sam <samt@samt.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 08:00:42 +0100, Terry Pinnell
><me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Bit long this, but think it needs a bit of background so hope you'll
>>bear with me.
>>
>>I subscribe to a Mailing List:OpenSCAD general discussion
>><discuss@lists.openscad.org>. As discussed here before, if I use my
>>Gmail address to post a new message or a reply to an existing thread, I
>>don't see it in my Agent inbox until/unless someone quotes it in a
>>reply.
>>
>>I don't like Mailing Lists. I originally subscribed to the associated
>>forum, http://forum.openscad.org/, placing me in a tiny minority within
>>this long-established community. But it was subsequently closed a week
>>or so later following the sad demise of its primary developer. Logically
>>following a discussion (or even editing a post) is therefore seriously
>>handicapped.
>>
>>Do I understand correctly that this is down to Gmail and there's nothing
>>that I or the List administrator can do about it?
>>
>>If the answer is Yes, I'll raise the different problem when using my
>>alternative BT address.
>>
>>Terry
>
>Google automatically sends your sent email to your 'Sent mailbox'
>file. You can set up Agent to file your messages in the same folder
>that you use for your openscad folder.
> When you create or reply to a openscad message there is a 'Filing:'
>box that you can choose to file that email in.

I don't use Forte Agent for mail, but with Thunderbird as my mail
client, I also had to go into my gmail account via browser/online and
instruct Googly in Settings/Labels to display/generate that 'Sent
Mailbox' (and any other 'labels' which I wanted) in my TB set-up.

The first 'label' I disengaged was the annoying 'All Mail'.

Re: Email address shown on Mailing List

<jahkgghie61lk6jv5cvdgejn5r3jrgao1n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2812&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2812

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 08:47:19 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 07:47 UTC

Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Aug 2021 15:35:25 -0700, Sam <samt@samt.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 08:00:42 +0100, Terry Pinnell
>><me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>Bit long this, but think it needs a bit of background so hope you'll
>>>bear with me.
>>>
>>>I subscribe to a Mailing List:OpenSCAD general discussion
>>><discuss@lists.openscad.org>. As discussed here before, if I use my
>>>Gmail address to post a new message or a reply to an existing thread, I
>>>don't see it in my Agent inbox until/unless someone quotes it in a
>>>reply.
>>>
>>>I don't like Mailing Lists. I originally subscribed to the associated
>>>forum, http://forum.openscad.org/, placing me in a tiny minority within
>>>this long-established community. But it was subsequently closed a week
>>>or so later following the sad demise of its primary developer. Logically
>>>following a discussion (or even editing a post) is therefore seriously
>>>handicapped.
>>>
>>>Do I understand correctly that this is down to Gmail and there's nothing
>>>that I or the List administrator can do about it?
>>>
>>>If the answer is Yes, I'll raise the different problem when using my
>>>alternative BT address.
>>>
>>>Terry
>>
>>Google automatically sends your sent email to your 'Sent mailbox'
>>file. You can set up Agent to file your messages in the same folder
>>that you use for your openscad folder.
>> When you create or reply to a openscad message there is a 'Filing:'
>>box that you can choose to file that email in.
>
>I don't use Forte Agent for mail, but with Thunderbird as my mail
>client, I also had to go into my gmail account via browser/online and
>instruct Googly in Settings/Labels to display/generate that 'Sent
>Mailbox' (and any other 'labels' which I wanted) in my TB set-up.
>
>The first 'label' I disengaged was the annoying 'All Mail'.

To explore your and Sam's suggestions I just opened that dialog. I had
used it briefly some months ago (to set up a 'label' called 'Forums')
but must say I find its plethora of settings daunting!