"We can't schedule an orgy, it might be construed as fighting" -- Stanley Sutton

computers / alt.windows7.general / [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?Frank Slootweg
+* Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?R.Wieser
|`* Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?knuttle
| +- Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?aer
| +* Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?Char Jackson
| |`* Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?J. P. Gilliver (John)
| | `* Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?Char Jackson
| |  `- Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?J. P. Gilliver (John)
| `* Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?FACE
|  `* Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?Big Al
|   `- Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?FACE
+* Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?Big Al
|+- Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?Char Jackson
|`* Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?FACE
| `- Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?Rene Lamontagne
+- Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?Wolffan
+- Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?Fokke Nauta
+* Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?John Doe
|`* Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?Edward Hernandez
| `* Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?John Doe
|  `- Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?Edward Hernandez
+- Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?Chris
`- Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?Frank Slootweg

1
[OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<skmar3.5pg.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2815&group=alt.windows7.general#2815

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?
Date: 19 Oct 2021 09:40:32 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 09:40 UTC

Do you switch off/on (the batteries) of your wireless keyboard or/and
mouse?

If so, when and for how long? During the night? More often? At other
times? Etc..

Background:

We bought a Logitech MK295 Silent Wireless Combo (K295 keyboard and
M220 mouse) for my wife's computer.

The package says "36-month battery life" for the keyboard and
"18-month battery life" for the mouse. It also says "Battery life may
vary based on user [sic], environmental and computing conditions". But
it does not say whether that assumes that the devices are switched off
when not in use and if so, during which periods.

Questions:

Probably the Logitech site has some more information on this, but I'd
like to hear from people who actually use a wireless keyboard or/and
mouse. So, what (not) to do and what to expect as realistic battery
life.

So what do you do? Do you switch them off when not using the computer
for a long time, for example during the night? Also for shorter periods
during the day? Etc..

And if you switch them off, is the computer also switched off or
sleeping during that time? If sleeping, do you know if the USB-port is
powered when the computer is sleeping?

Thanks.

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<skm9ci$qat$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2816&group=alt.windows7.general#2816

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 13:15:22 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 11:15 UTC

Frank,

> The package says "36-month battery life" for the keyboard and
> "18-month battery life" for the mouse. It also says "Battery life may
> vary based on user [sic], environmental and computing conditions". But
> it does not say whether that assumes that the devices are switched off
> when not in use and if so, during which periods.

That "battery life" is specified for when the devices are in use. Although
batteries do leak some charge when they are not in use it is pretty-much
negligable for modern ones (think 10-20 years).

> So what do you do? Do you switch them off when not using the computer
> for a long time, for example during the night?

I personally never switch them off when they are on the table. And yes, I
get at least the battery life outof them you mentioned. Than again, I'm
not using them over prolonged periods (an hour or two each day).

IOW, I don't think that the stand-by current is something you need to worry
about (both the keyboard and mouse go to sleep after a while of not being
used, only to be woken up by a keypress)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<skmad5$51h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2817&group=alt.windows7.general#2817

From: keith_nu...@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 07:32:51 -0400
 by: knuttle - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 11:32 UTC

On 10/19/2021 7:15 AM, R.Wieser wrote:
> Frank,
>
>> The package says "36-month battery life" for the keyboard and
>> "18-month battery life" for the mouse. It also says "Battery life may
>> vary based on user [sic], environmental and computing conditions". But
>> it does not say whether that assumes that the devices are switched off
>> when not in use and if so, during which periods.
>
> That "battery life" is specified for when the devices are in use. Although
> batteries do leak some charge when they are not in use it is pretty-much
> negligable for modern ones (think 10-20 years).
>
>> So what do you do? Do you switch them off when not using the computer
>> for a long time, for example during the night?
>
> I personally never switch them off when they are on the table. And yes, I
> get at least the battery life outof them you mentioned. Than again, I'm
> not using them over prolonged periods (an hour or two each day).
>
> IOW, I don't think that the stand-by current is something you need to worry
> about (both the keyboard and mouse go to sleep after a while of not being
> used, only to be woken up by a keypress)
>
> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

I am a use of a mouse, I have tried the wireless ones and find that I
get a couple of weeks use from the mouse, be for its response become
very slow. Yes I could get a little longer use on the batteries, but
the response becomes painful.

I have gave up on them and gone back to a wired mouse.

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<skmci2$b99$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2818&group=alt.windows7.general#2818

From: noem...@noemail.xxx (aer)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 08:09:37 -0400
 by: aer - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 12:09 UTC

On 10/19/21 7:32 AM, knuttle wrote:
> On 10/19/2021 7:15 AM, R.Wieser wrote:
>> Frank,
>>
>>>   The package says "36-month battery life" for the keyboard and
>>> "18-month battery life" for the mouse. It also says "Battery life may
>>> vary based on user [sic], environmental and computing conditions". But
>>> it does not say whether that assumes that the devices are switched off
>>> when not in use and if so, during which periods.
>>
>> That "battery life" is specified for when the devices are in use.
>> Although
>> batteries do leak some charge when they are not in use it is pretty-much
>> negligable for modern ones (think 10-20 years).
>>
>>>   So what do you do? Do you switch them off when not using the computer
>>> for a long time, for example during the night?
>>
>> I personally never switch them off when they are on the table.  And
>> yes, I
>> get at least the battery life outof them you mentioned.   Than again, I'm
>> not using them over prolonged periods (an hour or two each day).
>>
>> IOW, I don't think that the stand-by current is something you need to
>> worry
>> about (both the keyboard and mouse go to sleep after a while of not being
>> used, only to be woken up by a keypress)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rudy Wieser
>>

> I am a  use of a mouse,  I have tried the wireless ones and find that I
> get a couple of weeks use from the mouse, be for its response become
> very slow.  Yes I could get a little longer use on the batteries, but
> the response becomes painful.
>
> I have gave up on them and gone back to a wired mouse.

I used to use a wireless mouse and keyboard at work for a few years. I
always turned them off before I went home for the day. I didn't have to
replace the batteries that often, I'd say about once a year if I
remember correctly. But I switches back to wired keyboards and mice so I
don't have to remember to turn them off and it's one less thing I have
to do.

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<skme4r$v32$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2819&group=alt.windows7.general#2819

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 08:36:41 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 12:36 UTC

On 10/19/21 5:40 AM, this is what Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Do you switch off/on (the batteries) of your wireless keyboard or/and
> mouse?
>
> If so, when and for how long? During the night? More often? At other
> times? Etc..
>
> Background:
>
> We bought a Logitech MK295 Silent Wireless Combo (K295 keyboard and
> M220 mouse) for my wife's computer.
>
> The package says "36-month battery life" for the keyboard and
> "18-month battery life" for the mouse. It also says "Battery life may
> vary based on user [sic], environmental and computing conditions". But
> it does not say whether that assumes that the devices are switched off
> when not in use and if so, during which periods.
>
> Questions:
>
> Probably the Logitech site has some more information on this, but I'd
> like to hear from people who actually use a wireless keyboard or/and
> mouse. So, what (not) to do and what to expect as realistic battery
> life.
>
> So what do you do? Do you switch them off when not using the computer
> for a long time, for example during the night? Also for shorter periods
> during the day? Etc..
>
> And if you switch them off, is the computer also switched off or
> sleeping during that time? If sleeping, do you know if the USB-port is
> powered when the computer is sleeping?
>
> Thanks.

I have a wireless mouse on a laptop, 2 of them. Logitech M330's and they go to sleep when not in use.
That said, I get more like 2-3 months on 2 AA batteries. I use mine for maybe 8-10 hours a day, maybe more.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<0001HW.271EF7C9058167A270000A93438F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2820&group=alt.windows7.general#2820

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 08:55:37 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general, alt.comp.os.windows-8, alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: Wolffan - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 12:55 UTC

On 2021 Oct 19, Frank Slootweg wrote
(in article<skmar3.5pg.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>):

> Do you switch off/on (the batteries) of your wireless keyboard or/and
> mouse?

not on the keyboard. Rodents/trackballs/trackpads eat batteries, they get
turned off.

> If so, when and for how long? During the night? More often? At other
> times? Etc..

over night.

> Background:
>
> We bought a Logitech MK295 Silent Wireless Combo (K295 keyboard and
> M220 mouse) for my wife's computer.
>
> The package says "36-month battery life" for the keyboard

the keyboard will last longer. I’m on my first set of batteries for my
wireless keyboard for my main Windows machine, after nearly 5 years.

> and
> "18-month battery life" for the mouse.

good luck with that.
> It also says "Battery life may
> vary based on user [sic], environmental and computing conditions". But
> it does not say whether that assumes that the devices are switched off
> when not in use and if so, during which periods.

you can get 18-24 months with rodents... if you turn ‘em off at night.

I have Apple’s keyboard and trackpad which have built-in rechargeable
batteries. I charged both up to 100% a few months ago. The keyboard is 87%,
the trackpad is 20% and I’ve plugged it into charging. True, they’re
Bluetooth, which eats battery, but that trackpad has a _serious_ appetite.
Logi’s stuff probably isn’t BT and so will last a lot longer, but the
rodent will still eat battery. Invest in rechargeable batteries or be
prepared to buy batteries in packs. Or turn the rodent off at night.

> Questions:
>
> Probably the Logitech site has some more information on this, but I'd
> like to hear from people who actually use a wireless keyboard or/and
> mouse. So, what (not) to do and what to expect as realistic battery
> life.

If you turn them off, two years for rodents, five plus for keyboards. (Still
on first batteries on the keyboard)

> So what do you do? Do you switch them off when not using the computer
> for a long time, for example during the night? Also for shorter periods
> during the day? Etc..

I leave ‘em on all day, turn ‘em off at night.

> And if you switch them off, is the computer also switched off or
> sleeping during that time?

sleeping
> If sleeping, do you know if the USB-port is
> powered when the computer is sleeping?
>
> Thanks.

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<it83pbFt2nkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2822&group=alt.windows7.general#2822

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 16:41:43 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 14:41 UTC

On 19/10/2021 11:40, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Do you switch off/on (the batteries) of your wireless keyboard or/and
> mouse?
>
> If so, when and for how long? During the night? More often? At other
> times? Etc..
>
> Background:
>
> We bought a Logitech MK295 Silent Wireless Combo (K295 keyboard and
> M220 mouse) for my wife's computer.
>
> The package says "36-month battery life" for the keyboard and
> "18-month battery life" for the mouse. It also says "Battery life may
> vary based on user [sic], environmental and computing conditions". But
> it does not say whether that assumes that the devices are switched off
> when not in use and if so, during which periods.
>
> Questions:
>
> Probably the Logitech site has some more information on this, but I'd
> like to hear from people who actually use a wireless keyboard or/and
> mouse. So, what (not) to do and what to expect as realistic battery
> life.
>
> So what do you do? Do you switch them off when not using the computer
> for a long time, for example during the night? Also for shorter periods
> during the day? Etc..
>
> And if you switch them off, is the computer also switched off or
> sleeping during that time? If sleeping, do you know if the USB-port is
> powered when the computer is sleeping?
>
> Thanks.

I have tree wireless mouses (all Logitech) and one wireless keyboard.
They are allways switched off, unless I use the computer to wich they
belong. Only then they are powered on. Two of the mouses belong to
laptops, and they are allways switched off when I don't use them.
Battery life time of the mouses and keyboard last very long. I can't
remember when I replaced a battery for them.

Fokke

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<ddotmg1qblnqkbfgitincnv12s9mig845i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2825&group=alt.windows7.general#2825

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 10:21:20 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 15:21 UTC

On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 08:36:41 -0400, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 10/19/21 5:40 AM, this is what Frank Slootweg wrote:
>> Do you switch off/on (the batteries) of your wireless keyboard or/and
>> mouse?
>>
>> If so, when and for how long? During the night? More often? At other
>> times? Etc..
>>
>> Background:
>>
>> We bought a Logitech MK295 Silent Wireless Combo (K295 keyboard and
>> M220 mouse) for my wife's computer.
>>
>> The package says "36-month battery life" for the keyboard and
>> "18-month battery life" for the mouse. It also says "Battery life may
>> vary based on user [sic], environmental and computing conditions". But
>> it does not say whether that assumes that the devices are switched off
>> when not in use and if so, during which periods.
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> Probably the Logitech site has some more information on this, but I'd
>> like to hear from people who actually use a wireless keyboard or/and
>> mouse. So, what (not) to do and what to expect as realistic battery
>> life.
>>
>> So what do you do? Do you switch them off when not using the computer
>> for a long time, for example during the night? Also for shorter periods
>> during the day? Etc..
>>
>> And if you switch them off, is the computer also switched off or
>> sleeping during that time? If sleeping, do you know if the USB-port is
>> powered when the computer is sleeping?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>I have a wireless mouse on a laptop, 2 of them. Logitech M330's and they go to sleep when not in use.
>That said, I get more like 2-3 months on 2 AA batteries. I use mine for maybe 8-10 hours a day, maybe more.

My main mouse is a Logitech M705 and they say I should get 3 years from a
pair of AA's but I only get about 2.5 years. Still, that's not too bad, and
the mouse has an LED that glows red when the batteries get low. I don't
bother to turn off the mouse since it turns off by itself after a few
seconds of being idle. Like Big Al, I tend to use the mouse throughout the
day, with 8-10 hours being common.

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<3motmgpog7tn6eqi07r5rpoe64e0m9b9vf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2826&group=alt.windows7.general#2826

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 10:24:27 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 15:24 UTC

On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 07:32:51 -0400, knuttle <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>I am a use of a mouse, I have tried the wireless ones and find that I
>get a couple of weeks use from the mouse, be for its response become
>very slow. Yes I could get a little longer use on the batteries, but
>the response becomes painful.
>
>I have gave up on them and gone back to a wired mouse.

Just so you know, "a couple of weeks" indicates a problem, so please don't
judge all wireless mice by that measure. I get about 2 1/2 years from a
pair of AA's in my Logitech M705 mouse.

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<vV67SwwqSubhFwDp@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2828&group=alt.windows7.general#2828

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 16:30:50 +0100
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 15:30 UTC

On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 at 10:24:27, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote
(my responses usually follow points raised):
>On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 07:32:51 -0400, knuttle <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net>
>wrote:
>
>>I am a use of a mouse, I have tried the wireless ones and find that I
>>get a couple of weeks use from the mouse, be for its response become
>>very slow. Yes I could get a little longer use on the batteries, but
>>the response becomes painful.
>>
>>I have gave up on them and gone back to a wired mouse.
>
>Just so you know, "a couple of weeks" indicates a problem, so please don't
>judge all wireless mice by that measure. I get about 2 1/2 years from a
>pair of AA's in my Logitech M705 mouse.

What happened to the sort where the receiver was a caddy/charger, and
you put the mouse - which had a rechargeable - in it when not using it?
I always thought that represented good lateral thinking on the part of
the designer. Maybe the move from infra-red to wireless killed it (the
receiver became much smaller as it didn't have to be line of sight), but
it does bring the problem back (though only a minor problem if people
are getting years).

They put two and two together and make a dozen, provided they take off their
socks to help them count that far. (From "Walking the Dog", by "Smilodon".)

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<skmtgl$cnf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2833&group=alt.windows7.general#2833

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10,free.spam
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 16:59:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 16:59 UTC

It's "OT". It doesn't deserve crossposting.
And the answer is "No, there is no need to do that".

--
Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

> From: Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
> Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10
> Subject: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?
> Date: 19 Oct 2021 09:40:32 GMT
>
> Do you switch off/on (the batteries) of your wireless keyboard or/and
> mouse?
>
> If so, when and for how long? During the night? More often? At other
> times? Etc..
>
> Background:
>
> We bought a Logitech MK295 Silent Wireless Combo (K295 keyboard and
> M220 mouse) for my wife's computer.
>
> The package says "36-month battery life" for the keyboard and
> "18-month battery life" for the mouse. It also says "Battery life may
> vary based on user [sic], environmental and computing conditions". But
> it does not say whether that assumes that the devices are switched off
> when not in use and if so, during which periods.
>
> Questions:
>
> Probably the Logitech site has some more information on this, but I'd
> like to hear from people who actually use a wireless keyboard or/and
> mouse. So, what (not) to do and what to expect as realistic battery
> life.
>
> So what do you do? Do you switch them off when not using the computer
> for a long time, for example during the night? Also for shorter periods
> during the day? Etc..
>
> And if you switch them off, is the computer also switched off or
> sleeping during that time? If sleeping, do you know if the USB-port is
> powered when the computer is sleeping?
>
> Thanks.

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<t4DbJ.658760$tT5b.180945@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2834&group=alt.windows7.general#2834

From: dtgame...@gmail.com (Edward Hernandez)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10,free.spam
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 17:17:13 GMT
 by: Edward Hernandez - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 17:17 UTC

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id
<sdhn7c$pkp$4@dont-email.me>:

> The troll doesn't even know how to format a USENET post...

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id
<sg3kr7$qt5$1@dont-email.me>:

> The reason Bozo cannot figure out how to get Google to keep from
> breaking its lines in inappropriate places is because Bozo is
> CLUELESS...

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another
incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Tue, 19 Oct 2021 16:59:02 -0000
(UTC) in message-id <skmtgl$cnf$1@dont-email.me>.

Dx1eR0Wpvo8N

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<skn1hr$abu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2835&group=alt.windows7.general#2835

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 18:07:55 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ULLVpDAXyWQ0pejbInc6gIP7fRo=
 by: Chris - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 18:07 UTC

Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
> Do you switch off/on (the batteries) of your wireless keyboard or/and
> mouse?

I have a wireless mouse, logitech M575. The only time it gets turned off is
when I'm travelling with it. Same as my previous M570. The batteries lasted
for ages.

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<skn3de$m3n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2836&group=alt.windows7.general#2836

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10,free.spam
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 18:39:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 18:39 UTC

A nym-shifting stalker, usually "Corvid".
Spanked in (sci.electronics.repair)...

see also...
=?UTF-8?Q?C=c3=b6rvid?= <bl@ckbirds.org>
=?UTF-8?B?8J+QriBDb3dzIGFyZSBOaWNlIPCfkK4=?= <nice@cows.moo>
Banders <snap@mailchute.com>
Covid-19 <always.look@message.header>
Corvid <bl@ckbirds.net>
Corvid <bl@ckbirds.org>
Cows Are Nice <cows@nice.moo>
Cows are nice <moo@cows.org>
Cows are Nice <nice@cows.moo>
dogs <dogs@home.com>
Edward H. <dtgamer99@gmail.com>
Edward Hernandez <dtgamer99@gmail.com>
Great Pumpkin <pumpkin@patch.net>
Jose Curvo <jcurvo@mymail.com>
Local Favorite <how2recycle@palomar.info>
Peter Weiner <dtgamer99@gmail.com>
Sea <freshness@coast.org>
Standard Poodle <standard@poodle.com>
triangles <build@home.com>
and others...

--
Edward Hernandez <dtgamer99@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Edward Hernandez <dtgamer99@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?
> Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10,free.spam
> Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 17:17:13 GMT
>
> The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id
> <sdhn7c$pkp$4@dont-email.me>:
>
>> The troll doesn't even know how to format a USENET post...
>
> And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id
> <sg3kr7$qt5$1@dont-email.me>:
>
>> The reason Bozo cannot figure out how to get Google to keep from
>> breaking its lines in inappropriate places is because Bozo is
>> CLUELESS...
>
> And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another
> incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Tue, 19 Oct 2021 16:59:02 -0000
> (UTC) in message-id <skmtgl$cnf$1@dont-email.me>.
>
> Dx1eR0Wpvo8N

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<puEbJ.1145697$dFHd.1111805@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2838&group=alt.windows7.general#2838

From: dtgame...@gmail.com (Edward Hernandez)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10,free.spam
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 18:53:09 GMT
 by: Edward Hernandez - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 18:53 UTC

<sg3kr7$qt5$1@dont-email.me>:

> The reason Bozo cannot figure out how to get Google to keep from
> breaking its lines in inappropriate places is because Bozo is
> CLUELESS...

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another
incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Tue, 19 Oct 2021 18:39:43 -0000
(UTC) in message-id <skn3de$m3n$2@dont-email.me>.

k1nkjFRSCR+b

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<o2aumg99d3h0b4jbl9frnunntfbugq43ua@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2840&group=alt.windows7.general#2840

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 15:25:22 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 20:25 UTC

On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 16:30:50 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 at 10:24:27, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote
>(my responses usually follow points raised):
>>On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 07:32:51 -0400, knuttle <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I am a use of a mouse, I have tried the wireless ones and find that I
>>>get a couple of weeks use from the mouse, be for its response become
>>>very slow. Yes I could get a little longer use on the batteries, but
>>>the response becomes painful.
>>>
>>>I have gave up on them and gone back to a wired mouse.
>>
>>Just so you know, "a couple of weeks" indicates a problem, so please don't
>>judge all wireless mice by that measure. I get about 2 1/2 years from a
>>pair of AA's in my Logitech M705 mouse.
>>
>What happened to the sort where the receiver was a caddy/charger, and
>you put the mouse - which had a rechargeable - in it when not using it?

I've never seen that approach and it's something I'd definitely avoid. A
caddy/charger sounds like something extra that I don't want or need, an
extra device taking up precious real estate, especially since the caddy
itself is most likely wired. Getting away from a wired solution is the
whole point, IMHO.

>I always thought that represented good lateral thinking on the part of
>the designer. Maybe the move from infra-red to wireless killed it (the
>receiver became much smaller as it didn't have to be line of sight), but
>it does bring the problem back (though only a minor problem if people
>are getting years).

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<69r+Ig6tj0bhFwDE@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2841&group=alt.windows7.general#2841

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 23:38:37 +0100
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 22:38 UTC

On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 at 15:25:22, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote
(my responses usually follow points raised):
>On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 16:30:50 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
><G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
[]
>>What happened to the sort where the receiver was a caddy/charger, and
>>you put the mouse - which had a rechargeable - in it when not using it?
>
>I've never seen that approach and it's something I'd definitely avoid. A
>caddy/charger sounds like something extra that I don't want or need, an
>extra device taking up precious real estate, especially since the caddy
>itself is most likely wired. Getting away from a wired solution is the
>whole point, IMHO.

When cordless mice/keyboards first appeared, they used infra-red, not
microwaves - same as cordless TV remote controls do. (We don't refer to
_those_ _as_ "cordless" any more, as we just expect them to be. But they
weren't always! [They went through a phase of using ultrasonics, but
we'll skip that for now!]) Infra-red needed line-of-sight, so there
_had_ to be a wired IR receiver on your desk somewhere, even if the
mouse itself had no wire. (The receiver was usually tucked _fairly_ out
of the way, such as under the monitor.) Given that that had to be
present, I thought it was a clever thought to make it a charger too: the
mouse was still "wireless" when you were actually _using_ it. (The
current consumption of electronics is a lot lower than it was in those
days too.)
[]

People wear anoraks because it's cold outside and it rains, not to annoy the
editors of style magazines. - Ben Elton, Radio Times 18-24 April 1998

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<skpim4.bdk.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2866&group=alt.windows7.general#2866

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 20 Oct 2021 15:12:44 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 15:12 UTC

Thanks for all your responses.

For the moment, I'll take Rudy Wieser's/Char Jackson's lead and will
not switch off/on the wireless keyboard/mouse.

If the batteries run out too quickly, I'll change that approach.

Again, thanks to all.

[Original post:]

Yesterday, I wrote:
> Do you switch off/on (the batteries) of your wireless keyboard or/and
> mouse?
>
> If so, when and for how long? During the night? More often? At other
> times? Etc..
>
> Background:
>
> We bought a Logitech MK295 Silent Wireless Combo (K295 keyboard and
> M220 mouse) for my wife's computer.
>
> The package says "36-month battery life" for the keyboard and
> "18-month battery life" for the mouse. It also says "Battery life may
> vary based on user [sic], environmental and computing conditions". But
> it does not say whether that assumes that the devices are switched off
> when not in use and if so, during which periods.
>
> Questions:
>
> Probably the Logitech site has some more information on this, but I'd
> like to hear from people who actually use a wireless keyboard or/and
> mouse. So, what (not) to do and what to expect as realistic battery
> life.
>
> So what do you do? Do you switch them off when not using the computer
> for a long time, for example during the night? Also for shorter periods
> during the day? Etc..
>
> And if you switch them off, is the computer also switched off or
> sleeping during that time? If sleeping, do you know if the USB-port is
> powered when the computer is sleeping?
>
> Thanks.

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<u6gbsgh9772boiokgsg875k12gn5ivsese@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3398&group=alt.windows7.general#3398

From: AFaceInT...@today.net (FACE)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 07:48:17 -0500
 by: FACE - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 12:48 UTC

On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 07:32:51 -0400, in alt.windows7.general, knuttle
<keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net>, wrote

>I have gave up on them and gone back to a wired mouse.

I did the same. I find that wired mouse pointers are getting harder to come by.

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<sq4gov$i4q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3399&group=alt.windows7.general#3399

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 08:08:46 -0500
 by: Big Al - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 13:08 UTC

On 12/24/21 7:48 AM, this is what FACE wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 07:32:51 -0400, in alt.windows7.general, knuttle
> <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net>, wrote
>
>> I have gave up on them and gone back to a wired mouse.
>
> I did the same. I find that wired mouse pointers are getting harder to come by.

Wired mice are easy to find, but yes, wired pointers are hard to find. 😀

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<gigbsglt3boc4468uss6tu7vas2ss2nifm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3400&group=alt.windows7.general#3400

From: AFaceInT...@today.net (FACE)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 08:20:25 -0500
 by: FACE - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 13:20 UTC

On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 08:36:41 -0400, in alt.windows7.general, Big Al
<Bears@invalid.com>, wrote

>I have a wireless mouse on a laptop, 2 of them. Logitech M330's and they go to sleep when not in use.
>That said, I get more like 2-3 months on 2 AA batteries. I use mine for maybe 8-10 hours a day, maybe more.

I got about the same. and then about twice that for a wireless keyboard. Similar
usage if not more.

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<melbsghq92becn0ojhld86pdjo7lq5tdmr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3401&group=alt.windows7.general#3401

From: AFaceInT...@today.net (FACE)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 09:22:23 -0500
 by: FACE - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 14:22 UTC

On Fri, 24 Dec 2021 08:08:46 -0500, in alt.windows7.general, Big Al
<Bears@invalid.com>, wrote

>On 12/24/21 7:48 AM, this is what FACE wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 07:32:51 -0400, in alt.windows7.general, knuttle
>> <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net>, wrote
>>
>>> I have gave up on them and gone back to a wired mouse.
>>
>> I did the same. I find that wired mouse pointers are getting harder to come by.
>>
>Wired mice are easy to find, but yes, wired pointers are hard to find. ?

LOL......

[Search domain computerhope.com] https://www.computerhope.com › jargon › m ›
mouse.htm
A computer mouse is a handheld hardware input device that controls a cursor in a GUI
(graphical user interface) for pointing, moving and selecting text, icons, files,
and folders on your computer. In addition to these functions, a mouse can also be
used to drag-and-drop objects and give you access to the right-click menu.. For
desktop computers, the mouse is placed on a flat surface (e.g ...

When the new pointing device was introduced by Apple at a press conference, Steve
Wozniak held it up by the wire and said "it looks like a mouse". That bit of
Jargon became the unofficial name, though by usage it might as well be official.

(January, 2021, was the last time i bought a wired mouse, i got two because having
been to a couple of computer stores that did not have any wired mouses, i found that
at Best Buy, out of maybe 20 mouse choices, only one was wired.)

Re: [OT] Do you switch off/on your wireless keyboard/mouse?

<j2mau5Fbk20U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3406&group=alt.windows7.general#3406

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 10:31:01 -0600
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 16:31 UTC

On 2021-12-24 7:20 a.m., FACE wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 08:36:41 -0400, in alt.windows7.general, Big Al
> <Bears@invalid.com>, wrote
>
>> I have a wireless mouse on a laptop, 2 of them. Logitech M330's and they go to sleep when not in use.
>> That said, I get more like 2-3 months on 2 AA batteries. I use mine for maybe 8-10 hours a day, maybe more.
>
> I got about the same. and then about twice that for a wireless keyboard. Similar
> usage if not more.

I get over a year on good quality 2 AA alkaline cells with my Logitech
M510, running about 14 hrs a day, 7 days a week, and No i never turn it off.

Apparently the M710 does even better, I use wired keyboards only,
because it never moves from in front of my monitor.

Rene