E Pluribus Unix

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Re: Agent Address Book to Thunderbird

SubjectAuthor
* Agent Address Book to ThunderbirdEric Stevens
+* Re: Agent Address Book to ThunderbirdDennis Lee Bieber
|`- Re: Agent Address Book to ThunderbirdEric Stevens
`* Re: Agent Address Book to ThunderbirdRalph Fox
 +* Re: Agent Address Book to ThunderbirdEric Stevens
 |+* Re: Agent Address Book to Thunderbirdnobody
 ||`* Re: Agent Address Book to ThunderbirdEric Stevens
 || `* Re: Agent Address Book to ThunderbirdToolworker
 ||  `- Re: Agent Address Book to ThunderbirdToolworker
 |`* Re: Agent Address Book to ThunderbirdRalph Fox
 | `* Re: Agent Address Book to ThunderbirdEric Stevens
 |  `- Re: Agent Address Book to ThunderbirdDennis Lee Bieber
 `- Re: Agent Address Book to ThunderbirdEric Stevens

1
Agent Address Book to Thunderbird

<k74iggl4e3cdqdraqq4ips1red7reila08@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2799&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2799

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Agent Address Book to Thunderbird
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 21:55:42 +1200
 by: Eric Stevens - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 09:55 UTC

I am in the process of converting my email client to Thunderbird from
Agent 8. I have followed the excellent advice of Arthur Conan Doyle in
his post of 26 October 2020 (I had to do some exploring to sort out
subfolders) but I am sticking on his advice to use 'Dawn' to convert
the address book. It just doesn't seem to want to install on 64 bit
Windows 10 build 19043.1110 (21H1).

Does anyone know of a way to export the Agent address book in a form
that will be digestable by Thunderbird.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Re: Agent Address Book to Thunderbird

<s0oiggdq2hjnle577jredi1b73b4gr1c5f@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2803&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2803

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Agent Address Book to Thunderbird
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 11:31:15 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 15:31 UTC

On Tue, 03 Aug 2021 21:55:42 +1200, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
declaimed the following:

>I am in the process of converting my email client to Thunderbird from
>Agent 8. I have followed the excellent advice of Arthur Conan Doyle in
>his post of 26 October 2020 (I had to do some exploring to sort out
>subfolders) but I am sticking on his advice to use 'Dawn' to convert
>the address book. It just doesn't seem to want to install on 64 bit
>Windows 10 build 19043.1110 (21H1).
>
>Does anyone know of a way to export the Agent address book in a form
>that will be digestable by Thunderbird.

File/Import and Export has the ability to export the address book as
XML. Reformatting said XML into something Thunderbird can read is a
different matter.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Agent Address Book to Thunderbird

<d24jggt0lnk43ah7q0e6iojlt0p1pm9eo0@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2806&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2806

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 07:04:07 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 19:04 UTC

On Tue, 03 Aug 2021 21:55:42 +1200, Eric Stevens wrote:

> I am in the process of converting my email client to Thunderbird from
> Agent 8. I have followed the excellent advice of Arthur Conan Doyle in
> his post of 26 October 2020 (I had to do some exploring to sort out
> subfolders) but I am sticking on his advice to use 'Dawn' to convert
> the address book. It just doesn't seem to want to install on 64 bit
> Windows 10 build 19043.1110 (21H1).
>
> Does anyone know of a way to export the Agent address book in a form
> that will be digestable by Thunderbird.

1. Use Dawn (the Address Book manager) version 5.4 to export Agent's
address book in LDAP/*.LDIF or CSV format. Thunderbird can read
both LDAP/*.LDIF and CSV formats.

2. You can find Dawn (the Address Book manager) here:

<http://web.archive.org/web/20131030020722/http://mysite.verizon.net/zakharin/software/Dawn/>

<https://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/E-mail/Mail-Utilities/Dawn.shtml>
<https://dawn.software.informer.com/5.4/>
<https://download.cnet.com/Dawn/3000-2367_4-13924.html>
<https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/dawn.html>

3. Dawn (the Address Book manager) needs a one-time configuration to
work with Agent, so it can find Agent's address book.
After installing Dawn, do this:
3.1 Run "Dawn Classic" from the start menu.
3.2 In Dawn, go to "Edit >> Preferences >> Program Preferences"
3.3 Select "Forte Agent" in the left box under "The following will not appear".
3.4 Click the button marked "->" to move Forte Agent to the right box
3.5 An "Open" window will appear
3.6 Navigate to your Agent database, select Agent's address book file "contact.xml"
and click "Open"
3.7 Click "OK" on Dawn's "Preferences" window to save the configuration.

4. To export your Agent address book
4.1 In Dawn, go to "File >> Open >> Open Address Book"
4.2 Select "Forte Agent" from the list, and click 'Next'.
(If you don't see "Forte Agent" listed, you need to do step 3.)
4.3 Go to "File >> Save >> Save as file..."
4.4 Select your file format, which should be one of these two
for Thunderbird to import:
LDAP files *.ldif
Comma Separated Values *.csv

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Agent Address Book to Thunderbird

<svpjggpa99s1j0dknjrghqn7f7kgvocu4h@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2808&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2808

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 13:09:22 +1200
 by: Eric Stevens - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 01:09 UTC

On Tue, 03 Aug 2021 11:31:15 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber
<wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Aug 2021 21:55:42 +1200, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
>declaimed the following:
>
>>I am in the process of converting my email client to Thunderbird from
>>Agent 8. I have followed the excellent advice of Arthur Conan Doyle in
>>his post of 26 October 2020 (I had to do some exploring to sort out
>>subfolders) but I am sticking on his advice to use 'Dawn' to convert
>>the address book. It just doesn't seem to want to install on 64 bit
>>Windows 10 build 19043.1110 (21H1).
>>
>>Does anyone know of a way to export the Agent address book in a form
>>that will be digestable by Thunderbird.
>
> File/Import and Export has the ability to export the address book as
>XML. Reformatting said XML into something Thunderbird can read is a
>different matter.

I've got that far. I have Corel's Quattro Pro and while it can export
XML it can't import it. Otherwise the problem would be solved.

I was recently intrigued to see that the latest update of Windows
includes Excel. Unfortunately it appears to be a toy version which
cannot import XML either (or export it for that matter).
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Re: Agent Address Book to Thunderbird

<g6qjgg1h3dj58htgsrirteork6b4tfadg9@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2809&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2809

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 13:11:04 +1200
 by: Eric Stevens - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 01:11 UTC

On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 07:04:07 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Aug 2021 21:55:42 +1200, Eric Stevens wrote:
>
>> I am in the process of converting my email client to Thunderbird from
>> Agent 8. I have followed the excellent advice of Arthur Conan Doyle in
>> his post of 26 October 2020 (I had to do some exploring to sort out
>> subfolders) but I am sticking on his advice to use 'Dawn' to convert
>> the address book. It just doesn't seem to want to install on 64 bit
>> Windows 10 build 19043.1110 (21H1).
>>
>> Does anyone know of a way to export the Agent address book in a form
>> that will be digestable by Thunderbird.
>

> 1. Use Dawn (the Address Book manager) version 5.4 to export Agent's
> address book in LDAP/*.LDIF or CSV format. Thunderbird can read
> both LDAP/*.LDIF and CSV formats.

Yes. I've tried that but for some reason it won't install. Hence my
post.

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Re: Agent Address Book to Thunderbird

<og9kgghhuiph1n0uqn8m6rbulerniaf96a@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2810&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2810

From: nob...@here.invalid
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 15:32:14 +1000
 by: nob...@here.invalid - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 05:32 UTC

On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 13:11:04 +1200, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 07:04:07 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 03 Aug 2021 21:55:42 +1200, Eric Stevens wrote:
>>
>>> I am in the process of converting my email client to Thunderbird from
>>> Agent 8. I have followed the excellent advice of Arthur Conan Doyle in
>>> his post of 26 October 2020 (I had to do some exploring to sort out
>>> subfolders) but I am sticking on his advice to use 'Dawn' to convert
>>> the address book. It just doesn't seem to want to install on 64 bit
>>> Windows 10 build 19043.1110 (21H1).
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a way to export the Agent address book in a form
>>> that will be digestable by Thunderbird.
>>

>> 1. Use Dawn (the Address Book manager) version 5.4 to export Agent's
>> address book in LDAP/*.LDIF or CSV format. Thunderbird can read
>> both LDAP/*.LDIF and CSV formats.
>
>Yes. I've tried that but for some reason it won't install. Hence my
>post.

Try installing in comparability mode for windows xp.

>> 2. You can find Dawn (the Address Book manager) here:
>>
>> <http://web.archive.org/web/20131030020722/http://mysite.verizon.net/zakharin/software/Dawn/>
>>
>> <https://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/E-mail/Mail-Utilities/Dawn.shtml>
>> <https://dawn.software.informer.com/5.4/>
>> <https://download.cnet.com/Dawn/3000-2367_4-13924.html>
>> <https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/dawn.html>
>>

>> 3. Dawn (the Address Book manager) needs a one-time configuration to
>> work with Agent, so it can find Agent's address book.
>> After installing Dawn, do this:
>> 3.1 Run "Dawn Classic" from the start menu.
>> 3.2 In Dawn, go to "Edit >> Preferences >> Program Preferences"
>> 3.3 Select "Forte Agent" in the left box under "The following will not appear".
>> 3.4 Click the button marked "->" to move Forte Agent to the right box
>> 3.5 An "Open" window will appear
>> 3.6 Navigate to your Agent database, select Agent's address book file "contact.xml"
>> and click "Open"
>> 3.7 Click "OK" on Dawn's "Preferences" window to save the configuration.
>>

>> 4. To export your Agent address book
>> 4.1 In Dawn, go to "File >> Open >> Open Address Book"
>> 4.2 Select "Forte Agent" from the list, and click 'Next'.
>> (If you don't see "Forte Agent" listed, you need to do step 3.)
>> 4.3 Go to "File >> Save >> Save as file..."
>> 4.4 Select your file format, which should be one of these two
>> for Thunderbird to import:
>> LDAP files *.ldif
>> Comma Separated Values *.csv

Re: Agent Address Book to Thunderbird

<nadkgg59ski979h9fnc6ulrompgv4c0re2@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2811&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2811

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 19:40:24 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 07:40 UTC

On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 13:11:04 +1200, Eric Stevens wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 07:04:07 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> 1. Use Dawn (the Address Book manager) version 5.4 to export Agent's
>> address book in LDAP/*.LDIF or CSV format. Thunderbird can read
>> both LDAP/*.LDIF and CSV formats.
>
> Yes. I've tried that but for some reason it won't install. Hence my
> post.

It installs fine here on Windows 10. Below is how I installed it.
Did you do anything differently?

1.1 The download is a ZIP file "dawn54u.zip"
* size is 870,290 bytes exactly.
* contains six files.

1.2 Unzip the entire ZIP file "dawn54u.zip" into its own
hard drive folder.
You should now have a hard drive folder containing the
six files listed below:

dawn.htm size: 6002 bytes exactly
dawn.msi size: 895488 bytes exactly
dawn.xml size: 6201 bytes exactly
faq.rtf size: 12144 bytes exactly
README.TXT size: 640 bytes exactly
setup.exe size: 77824 bytes exactly

1.3 With all six files present, run the "setup.exe" file.

AFAIK there is nothing else which knows Agent's XML address book format
and can convert it.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Qui non laborat, non manducat.

Re: Agent Address Book to Thunderbird

<gdvjggtipa76mvns70ktvuvcho6ft7gi70@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2814&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2814

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 12:07:29 +1200
 by: Eric Stevens - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 00:07 UTC

wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Aug 2021 21:55:42 +1200, Eric Stevens wrote:
>
>> I am in the process of converting my email client to Thunderbird from
>> Agent 8. I have followed the excellent advice of Arthur Conan Doyle in
>> his post of 26 October 2020 (I had to do some exploring to sort out
>> subfolders) but I am sticking on his advice to use 'Dawn' to convert
>> the address book. It just doesn't seem to want to install on 64 bit
>> Windows 10 build 19043.1110 (21H1).
>>
>> Does anyone know of a way to export the Agent address book in a form
>> that will be digestable by Thunderbird.
>

> 1. Use Dawn (the Address Book manager) version 5.4 to export Agent's
> address book in LDAP/*.LDIF or CSV format. Thunderbird can read
> both LDAP/*.LDIF and CSV formats.
>

> 2. You can find Dawn (the Address Book manager) here:
>
> <http://web.archive.org/web/20131030020722/http://mysite.verizon.net/zakharin/software/Dawn/>
>
> <https://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/E-mail/Mail-Utilities/Dawn.shtml>
> <https://dawn.software.informer.com/5.4/>
> <https://download.cnet.com/Dawn/3000-2367_4-13924.html>
> <https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/dawn.html>
>

> 3. Dawn (the Address Book manager) needs a one-time configuration to
> work with Agent, so it can find Agent's address book.
> After installing Dawn, do this:
> 3.1 Run "Dawn Classic" from the start menu.
> 3.2 In Dawn, go to "Edit >> Preferences >> Program Preferences"
> 3.3 Select "Forte Agent" in the left box under "The following will not appear".
> 3.4 Click the button marked "->" to move Forte Agent to the right box
> 3.5 An "Open" window will appear
> 3.6 Navigate to your Agent database, select Agent's address book file "contact.xml"
> and click "Open"
> 3.7 Click "OK" on Dawn's "Preferences" window to save the configuration.
>

> 4. To export your Agent address book
> 4.1 In Dawn, go to "File >> Open >> Open Address Book"
> 4.2 Select "Forte Agent" from the list, and click 'Next'.
> (If you don't see "Forte Agent" listed, you need to do step 3.)
> 4.3 Go to "File >> Save >> Save as file..."
> 4.4 Select your file format, which should be one of these two
> for Thunderbird to import:
> LDAP files *.ldif
> Comma Separated Values *.csv

I have found https://www.convertcsv.com/xml-to-csv.htm It seems to
work like a charm. The resulting CSV file loads into Quattro Pro which
will let me edit the fiels (if required) by Thunderbird.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Re: Agent Address Book to Thunderbird

<vdmmgghnmitmtu0el99fkinukblnvnoubj@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2815&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2815

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 15:24:29 +1200
 by: Eric Stevens - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 03:24 UTC

On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 15:32:14 +1000, nobody@here.invalid wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 13:11:04 +1200, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 07:04:07 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>>wrote:

>>> 1. Use Dawn (the Address Book manager) version 5.4 to export Agent's
>>> address book in LDAP/*.LDIF or CSV format. Thunderbird can read
>>> both LDAP/*.LDIF and CSV formats.
>>
>>Yes. I've tried that but for some reason it won't install. Hence my
>>post.
>
>Try installing in comparability mode for windows xp.

It won't even offer that possibility. The install just won't do
anything.

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Re: Agent Address Book to Thunderbird

<dkmmggd9nmc89l9ov3lhot7pijn27f6dvr@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2816&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2816

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 15:35:29 +1200
 by: Eric Stevens - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 03:35 UTC

On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 19:40:24 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 13:11:04 +1200, Eric Stevens wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 07:04:07 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Use Dawn (the Address Book manager) version 5.4 to export Agent's
>>> address book in LDAP/*.LDIF or CSV format. Thunderbird can read
>>> both LDAP/*.LDIF and CSV formats.
>>
>> Yes. I've tried that but for some reason it won't install. Hence my
>> post.
>

>It installs fine here on Windows 10. Below is how I installed it.
>Did you do anything differently?
>
> 1.1 The download is a ZIP file "dawn54u.zip"
> * size is 870,290 bytes exactly.
> * contains six files.
>
> 1.2 Unzip the entire ZIP file "dawn54u.zip" into its own
> hard drive folder.
> You should now have a hard drive folder containing the
> six files listed below:
>
> dawn.htm size: 6002 bytes exactly
> dawn.msi size: 895488 bytes exactly
> dawn.xml size: 6201 bytes exactly
> faq.rtf size: 12144 bytes exactly
> README.TXT size: 640 bytes exactly
> setup.exe size: 77824 bytes exactly
>
> 1.3 With all six files present, run the "setup.exe" file.
>

>AFAIK there is nothing else which knows Agent's XML address book format
>and can convert it.

File > Export > Address Book -> XML gives an XML file.

The next step is converting it to CSV, which all kinds of things can
read. As I have already reported I have found
https://www.convertcsv.com/xml-to-csv.htm which makes the conversion
in a blink of an eye. I processed the XML and CSV files in Notepad.
The Address Book import function in Thunderbird reads the CSV file and
enables the order of the fields to be changed to match the CSV file
with TBird's address book.

Some characters did not emerge cleanly from agent with address book
fields containg various = and ? but these were a minor matter to edit.
Once I found out how I found the whole process quite straight forward.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Re: Agent Address Book to Thunderbird

<rmvnggl56l824qrasjnnaqk6nprks3ae6k@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2818&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2818

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 11:08:58 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 15:08 UTC

On Thu, 05 Aug 2021 15:35:29 +1200, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
declaimed the following:

>Some characters did not emerge cleanly from agent with address book
>fields containg various = and ? but these were a minor matter to edit.
>Once I found out how I found the whole process quite straight forward.

Sounds like UTF8 processed by software that worked in ISO-Latin-x

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Agent Address Book to Thunderbird

<d6e6e14f-bba0-4e2d-b016-f8b41564c481n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4235&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4235

Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 09:01:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: bilofs...@gmail.com (Toolworker)
 by: Toolworker - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 16:01 UTC

On Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 8:24:27 PM UTC-7, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 15:32:14 +1000, nob...@here.invalid wrote:
> >On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 13:11:04 +1200, Eric Stevens <eric.s...@sum.co.nz> wrote:

> >>Yes. I've tried that but for some reason it won't install. Hence my
> >>post.
> >
> >Try installing in comparability mode for windows xp.
>
> It won't even offer that possibility. The install just won't do
> anything.

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric Stevens
I have the same installation problem on Windows 10. Same file sizes, etc. Setup.exe asks permission, then displays a help dialog for Windows Installer.. The first time, clicking OK gets a message that the program may not have installed properly. On retry, it doesn't even do that.

Add/Remove Programs doesn't find Dawn.

Any suggestions? Any way to clean it out?

Re: Agent Address Book to Thunderbird

<3a1212ec-4d15-4218-8824-5b282a0c7e4dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4243&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4243

Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 20:29:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: bilofs...@gmail.com (Toolworker)
 by: Toolworker - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 03:29 UTC

Once I realized Excel could read XML files, importing the Agent address book into Thunderbird was fiddly but painless. I claim no expertise but this worked for me:

1) In Agent, File > Export > Address Book -> XML gives an XML file.

2) Edit in Notepad++ (or any regex-capable editor)

3) The <folder>0000xxxx</folder> lines screw up the Excel spreadsheet, so remove them all:

Select Search / Replace
In search field enter "<folder>([A-Z0-9]*)</folder>\n"
Select Regular expression
Replace All, and repeat Replace All until no replacements are made.
Save as an XML file and exit.

(Alternative: I wanted to keep one folder for email addresses that had them, just in case I figure out a way to automatically create filters. To do that:

In search field enter "<email (.*\s*)<folder>([A-Z0-9]*)</folder>"
In replace field enter "<email folder="$2" $1 "
Select Regular expression
Replace All.

Then do step 3 to get rid of multiple folders.)

4) Open the XML file in Excel. (I have Excel 2016.)
It asks As an XML table - click OK
Excel will create a schema - OK.
Ignore the error "Some data was imported as text."

After a couple dozen lines of metadata, the rest should be one address record per line.

I deleted the metadata lines, deleted all the columns up to and including moddate, and sorted on type5 to group the email lists together. I moved the outgoing email lists to another worksheet and entered them by hand. Then I massaged the spreadsheet to get the stuff I wanted to import.