From: vne...@krrz.org (Volker N. Englisch)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Starting over as a hobbyist with Alpha
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 18:14:29 +0200
 by: Volker N. Englisch - Thu, 18 May 2023 16:14 UTC

Good evening!

For I now have some more leisure time now, I'd like to start over with
OpenVMS on an Alpha server. The hardware is already on site, but: Where
to get the licenses and the OS? No, it doesn't need to be the latest
version...

I registered with hpe on www.hpe.com and filled in the "OpenVMS
Hobbyist Registration, but no avail. No response for a week now.

Furthermore I applied for the licenses on vmssoftware.com, no response
as well.

In general, is this the correct approach, or did I do something
wrong...?

V~

Re: Starting over as a hobbyist with Alpha

<u45k6n$ar40$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28189&group=comp.os.vms#28189

From: dav...@tsoft-inc.com (Dave Froble)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: Starting over as a hobbyist with Alpha
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 12:36:21 -0400
 by: Dave Froble - Thu, 18 May 2023 16:36 UTC

On 5/18/2023 12:14 PM, Volker N. Englisch wrote:
> Good evening!
>
> For I now have some more leisure time now, I'd like to start over with
> OpenVMS on an Alpha server. The hardware is already on site, but: Where
> to get the licenses and the OS? No, it doesn't need to be the latest
> version...
>
> I registered with hpe on www.hpe.com and filled in the "OpenVMS
> Hobbyist Registration, but no avail. No response for a week now.
>
> Furthermore I applied for the licenses on vmssoftware.com, no response
> as well.
>
> In general, is this the correct approach, or did I do something
> wrong...?
>
> V~

VSI has the "Community License" thing. Ask about that, or, look it up on their
web site. Don't expect instant response, they are quite busy.

Forget about HP, nothing there.

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com

Re: Starting over as a hobbyist with Alpha

<u48l3k$1m4t$1@selene.rsli.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28208&group=comp.os.vms#28208

From: vne...@krrz.org (Volker N. Englisch)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 20:10:28 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: Volker Englisch <eh@selene.rsli.de>
 by: Volker N. Englisch - Fri, 19 May 2023 20:10 UTC

Dave Froble <davef@tsoft-inc.com> schrieb:
> On 5/18/2023 12:14 PM, Volker N. Englisch wrote:
>> Good evening!
>>
>> For I now have some more leisure time now, I'd like to start over with
>> OpenVMS on an Alpha server. The hardware is already on site, but: Where
>> to get the licenses and the OS? No, it doesn't need to be the latest
>> version...
>>
>> I registered with hpe on www.hpe.com and filled in the "OpenVMS
>> Hobbyist Registration, but no avail. No response for a week now.
>>
>> Furthermore I applied for the licenses on vmssoftware.com, no response
>> as well.
>>
>> In general, is this the correct approach, or did I do something
>> wrong...?
>>
> VSI has the "Community License" thing. Ask about that, or, look it up on their
> web site. Don't expect instant response, they are quite busy.

Thanks. So I'll be patient...

> Forget about HP, nothing there.

Oops. Good to know...

Re: Starting over as a hobbyist with Alpha

<u48o8l$pgv3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28211&group=comp.os.vms#28211

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 21:04:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Fri, 19 May 2023 21:04 UTC

On 2023-05-19, Volker N. Englisch <vne@krrz.org> wrote:
> Dave Froble <davef@tsoft-inc.com> schrieb:
>> VSI has the "Community License" thing. Ask about that, or, look it up on their
>> web site. Don't expect instant response, they are quite busy.
>
> Thanks. So I'll be patient...

I would give it a week to 10 days before posting a query in the VSI forums
if you have not heard anything by then.

Do you have any spam filters in place that might have wrongly caught
a response from VSI ?

Simon.

Re: Starting over as a hobbyist with Alpha

<u4at4t$b4$1@selene.rsli.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28217&group=comp.os.vms#28217

From: vne...@krrz.org (Volker N. Englisch)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 18:39:57 +0200
 by: Volker N. Englisch - Sat, 20 May 2023 16:39 UTC

Simon Clubley schrieb am 19.05.2023:
> On 2023-05-19, Volker N. Englisch <vne@krrz.org> wrote:
>> Dave Froble <davef@tsoft-inc.com> schrieb:
>>> VSI has the "Community License" thing. Ask about that, or, look it up on their
>>> web site. Don't expect instant response, they are quite busy.
>>
>> Thanks. So I'll be patient...
>
> I would give it a week to 10 days before posting a query in the VSI forums
> if you have not heard anything by then.
>
> Do you have any spam filters in place that might have wrongly caught
> a response from VSI ?

None at all for that mail address...

V~