"Help Mr. Wizard!" -- Tennessee Tuxedo

computers / comp.os.vms / Is there the equivalent of $ MONITOR PROCESS/TOPD on other OSes?

SubjectAuthor
* Is there the equivalent of $ MONITOR PROCESS/TOPD on other OSes?alanfe...@gmail.com
+- Re: Is there the equivalent of $ MONITOR PROCESS/TOPD on other OSes?Chris Townley
`* Re: Is there the equivalent of $ MONITOR PROCESS/TOPD on other OSes?Stephen Hoffman
 `* Re: Is there the equivalent of $ MONITOR PROCESS/TOPD on other OSes?Simon Clubley
  `- Re: Is there the equivalent of $ MONITOR PROCESS/TOPD on other OSes?Stephen Hoffman

1
Is there the equivalent of $ MONITOR PROCESS/TOPD on other OSes?

<9bbcbf32-dbb3-4053-ba05-5970e3df7c21n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28261&group=comp.os.vms#28261

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 11:24:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Is there the equivalent of $ MONITOR PROCESS/TOPD on other OSes?
From: alanfeld...@gmail.com (alanfe...@gmail.com)
 by: alanfe...@gmail.com - Thu, 25 May 2023 18:24 UTC

On my Mac, sometimes one of the external Time Machine drives just starts making noise non-stop. I have to dismount and power-cycle it. But I wonder what process is writing to it or reading from it. The macOS Activity Monitor doesn't have it. And I don't think the Unix 'top' command has it either. Not that I could find, anyway.

Does _any_ other OS have this feature, $ MONITOR PROC/TOPDIO

I ask here in the hopes of not having to explain MONITOR PROC/TOPDIO to people in other forums.

TIA.

Re: Is there the equivalent of $ MONITOR PROCESS/TOPD on other OSes?

<u4ocud$3dhae$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28262&group=comp.os.vms#28262

From: new...@cct-net.co.uk (Chris Townley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 20:29:16 +0100
 by: Chris Townley - Thu, 25 May 2023 19:29 UTC

On 25/05/2023 19:24, alanfe...@gmail.com wrote:
> On my Mac, sometimes one of the external Time Machine drives just starts making noise non-stop. I have to dismount and power-cycle it. But I wonder what process is writing to it or reading from it. The macOS Activity Monitor doesn't have it. And I don't think the Unix 'top' command has it either. Not that I could find, anyway.
>
> Does _any_ other OS have this feature, $ MONITOR PROC/TOPDIO
>
> I ask here in the hopes of not having to explain MONITOR PROC/TOPDIO to people in other forums.
>
> TIA.

The newer Windows task manager can, as can the related resource monitor,
available from the performance tab.

The linux utility HTOP can view I/O by process. There is probably a
version that can build on the mac.

htop was originally developed by Hisham Muhammad. Nowadays it is
maintained by the community at <htop@groups.io>

Try https://htop.dev/

--
Chris

Re: Is there the equivalent of $ MONITOR PROCESS/TOPD on other OSes?

<u4oddu$3l5fn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28263&group=comp.os.vms#28263

From: seaoh...@hoffmanlabs.invalid (Stephen Hoffman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 15:37:34 -0400
 by: Stephen Hoffman - Thu, 25 May 2023 19:37 UTC

On 2023-05-25 18:24:28 +0000, alanfe...@gmail.com said:

> On my Mac, sometimes one of the external Time Machine drives just
> starts making noise non-stop. I have to dismount and power-cycle it.
> But I wonder what process is writing to it or reading from it. The
> macOS Activity Monitor doesn't have it. And I don't think the Unix
> 'top' command has it either. Not that I could find, anyway.

If Activity Monitor app (network, disk) and top don't get you where you
want here, then iostat and fs_usage might be useful analogs. See man
for details.
Other potential add-on options for monitoring macOS and some other
platforms are Glances (https://github.com/nicolargo/glances) and htop.
Xcode Instruments is built atop DTrace framework, if you wanted to go
that way. With Xcode installed, launch Instruments and select Activity
Monitor, or such.

--
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC

Re: Is there the equivalent of $ MONITOR PROCESS/TOPD on other OSes?

<u4q7mk$3vju4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28268&group=comp.os.vms#28268

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 12:12:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Fri, 26 May 2023 12:12 UTC

On 2023-05-25, Stephen Hoffman <seaohveh@hoffmanlabs.invalid> wrote:

> If Activity Monitor app (network, disk) and top don't get you where you
> want here, then iostat and fs_usage might be useful analogs. See man
> for details.
> Other potential add-on options for monitoring macOS and some other
> platforms are Glances (https://github.com/nicolargo/glances) and htop.
> Xcode Instruments is built atop DTrace framework, if you wanted to go
> that way. With Xcode installed, launch Instruments and select Activity
> Monitor, or such.

On a related note, I wouldn't mind seeing dtrace functionality for VMS
(or even something as simple as strace).

Simon.

Re: Is there the equivalent of $ MONITOR PROCESS/TOPD on other OSes?

<u4r15c$2ika$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28271&group=comp.os.vms#28271

From: seaoh...@hoffmanlabs.invalid (Stephen Hoffman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 15:26:36 -0400
 by: Stephen Hoffman - Fri, 26 May 2023 19:26 UTC

On 2023-05-26 12:12:04 +0000, Simon Clubley said:

> On a related note, I wouldn't mind seeing dtrace functionality for VMS
> (or even something as simple as strace).

The whole management and troubleshooting area is lacking, yes.

OPCOM, ANALYZE /AUDIT, and ACCOUNTING were all outdated by Y2K, and
have only sunk further behind.

Some of the DECclassic monitoring and troubleshooting tools were
cancelled, some were sold off, some are still available as add-ons from
VSI, some are rebuilt as SDA extensions, RMI was added, etc.

The scale of work VSI has ahead is unfathomable, and the trade-offs myriad.

--
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC