I don't think it's worth washing hogs over. -- Larry Wall in <199710060253.TAA09723@wall.org>

computers / comp.misc / Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

SubjectAuthor
* USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenixRobert
+* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenixSn!pe
|`* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyRetrograde
| +- Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenixyeti
| +- Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyMarco Moock
| +* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyrdh
| |+* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyMarco Moock
| ||`* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyrdh
| || +* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyMarco Moock
| || `* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenixscott
| ||  +* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyJulieta Shem
| ||  |`- Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyScott Dorsey
| ||  `- Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyJulieta Shem
| |+* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyMarco Moock
| ||+* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyDan Purgert
| ||+* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenixRich
| ||+* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyAnton Shepelev
| ||+- Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyThe Real Bev
| ||`* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyJulieta Shem
| || `* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenixyeti
| ||  +- Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlycandycanearter07
| ||  `- Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyDan Purgert
| |+- Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenixyeti
| |+* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyRetrograde
| ||`- Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyrdh
| |+* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenixJohn McCue
| ||+* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenixSn!pe
| ||+* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenixJohn McCue
| ||`- Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyDan Purgert
| |+* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyJulieta Shem
| |`* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyJulieta Shem
| `- Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyJulieta Shem
`- Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyMarco Moock

Pages:12345
USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<kl9p85F590fU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2803&group=comp.misc#2803

From: monst...@spammedia.com (Robert)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 22:05:09 +0100
 by: Robert - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 21:05 UTC

Evening all,
"The USENET management committee has reconvened and there are green
shoots of growth in the original, pre-World Wide Web social network.
USENET, or NetNews, is a text-only social discussions forum, or rather a
set of a great many forums, called "newsgroups," carried by multiple
servers around the world. Although the original developers closed down
their instance in 2010, that was just one server out of hundreds, and
many are still running just fine. It never went away – it's still alive,
you can get on it for free, and there is a choice of client apps for
most OSes to help you navigate."
Article here:
<https://www.theregister.com/2023/08/30/usenet_revival/>
--
Rob
"I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<1qgasjh.q42hm04jvgp2N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2805&group=comp.misc#2805

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 22:45:53 +0100
 by: Sn!pe - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 21:45 UTC

Robert <monstoor@spammedia.com> wrote:

> Evening all,
>
> "The USENET management committee has reconvened and there are green
> shoots of growth in the original, pre-World Wide Web social network.
>
> USENET, or NetNews, is a text-only social discussions forum, or rather a
> set of a great many forums, called "newsgroups," carried by multiple
> servers around the world. Although the original developers closed down
> their instance in 2010, that was just one server out of hundreds, and
> many are still running just fine. It never went away – it's still alive,
> you can get on it for free, and there is a choice of client apps for
> most OSes to help you navigate."
>
> Article here:
> <https://www.theregister.com/2023/08/30/usenet_revival/>

[APPLAUSE]

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<20230830184746.0f7463226faaa289c37b4a4e@amongus.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2812&group=comp.misc#2812

From: fun...@amongus.com (Retrograde)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only
phoenix
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 18:47:46 -0400
 by: Retrograde - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 22:47 UTC

On Wed, 30 Aug 2023 22:45:53 +0100
snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

> Robert <monstoor@spammedia.com> wrote:
>
> > Evening all,
> >
> > "The USENET management committee has reconvened and there are green
> > shoots of growth in the original, pre-World Wide Web social network.

Very cool. I like Liam Proven's articles; he's a good writer. The fun
thing about Usenet is that it never left, and by its very design,
was/is able to stick around as long as there are folks interested in
running a server and peering to at least one other server.

I ran one for a while. Slightly hairy/slightly above my level of
expertise, but I enjoyed it. Usenet rules. Noone owns it so no one
can pull the kind of shenanigans you now see on Twitter/Reddit.

Most young people will be turned off that it involves text, not
images. That's fine with me. They can gather elsewhere.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<87o7ionm3n.fsf@tilde.institute>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2813&group=comp.misc#2813

From: yet...@tilde.institute (yeti)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 23:31:40 +0000
5-s.cF/5tMdha-:]4eBHC9vBXnz4_aNe@d4oijVyix?>pC=tzuQhoD2A8P02+\xO4gNfRBE
`B<kE3T-Gps_d0_6`+0W3E9{D
 by: yeti - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 23:31 UTC

Retrograde <fungus@amongus.com> writes:

> The fun thing about Usenet is that it never left, and by its very
> design, was/is able to stick around as long as there are folks
> interested in running a server and peering to at least one other
> server.

It should be done more often and ...

> I ran one for a while. Slightly hairy/slightly above my level of
> expertise,

.... it should be easier.

> but I enjoyed it.

\o/

> Usenet rules. Noone owns it so no one can pull the kind of
> shenanigans you now see on Twitter/Reddit.

I think a more P2Pish dimension of peered news servers should exist
too.

> Most young people will be turned off that it involves text, not
> images.

I see HTML (even with images) via NNTP in my news reader. In correct
MIME containers this is possible but may not be wanted in some groups.

Some software already seems to compose MIME multipart-alternative
structures with a HTML and plain text variant of the same contents.

UTF-8 and MIME won't go away any more.

But that proves, that news in general has not avoided to evolve.

\o/

--
Take Back Control! -- Mesh The Planet!
I do not play Nethack, I do play GNUS! o;-)

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<ucpe9b$350d4$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2815&group=comp.misc#2815

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
phoenix
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 09:08:27 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 07:08 UTC

Am 30.08.2023 schrieb Retrograde <fungus@amongus.com>:

> Most young people will be turned off that it involves text, not
> images. That's fine with me. They can gather elsewhere.

I like it because it is not full of memes and other stuff.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<ucpgjh$350d4$5@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2816&group=comp.misc#2816

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
phoenix
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 09:48:01 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 07:48 UTC

Am 30.08.2023 schrieb Robert <monstoor@spammedia.com>:

> "The USENET management committee has reconvened and there are green
> shoots of growth in the original, pre-World Wide Web social network.

Is there a statistic available?

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<LB1IM.111048$VPEa.37115@fx33.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2817&group=comp.misc#2817

phoenix
Newsgroups: comp.misc
From: rdh...@tilde.institute (rdh)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 09:38:35 -0500
 by: rdh - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 14:38 UTC

On 8/30/23 17:47, Retrograde wrote:
> Most young people will be turned off that it involves text, not
> images. That's fine with me. They can gather elsewhere.

The lack of moderation is probably more of a turnoff for younger folks.
A lot of them just don't have a tolerance for spam.

--
~rdh

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<ucq8uf$3b1k6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2818&group=comp.misc#2818

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
phoenix
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 16:43:27 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 14:43 UTC

Am 31.08.2023 schrieb rdh <rdh@tilde.institute>:

> On 8/30/23 17:47, Retrograde wrote:
> > Most young people will be turned off that it involves text, not
> > images. That's fine with me. They can gather elsewhere.
>
> The lack of moderation is probably more of a turnoff for younger
> folks. A lot of them just don't have a tolerance for spam.

Many of them also don't have a tolerance for freedom of speech, some
opinions must not occur for some to feel comfortable.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<rO1IM.556679$qnnb.491804@fx11.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2819&group=comp.misc#2819

phoenix
Newsgroups: comp.misc
From: rdh...@tilde.institute (rdh)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 09:52:07 -0500
 by: rdh - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 14:52 UTC

That's a pretty bad take, my guy. Have you ever talked to a Gen Z
person? Most of them I've met are fine with free speech, they just want
people held accountable for hate speech.

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences.

--
~rdh

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<ucqa78$3b1k6$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2820&group=comp.misc#2820

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
phoenix
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 17:05:12 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 15:05 UTC

Am 31.08.2023 schrieb rdh <rdh@tilde.institute>:

> That's a pretty bad take, my guy. Have you ever talked to a Gen Z
> person?

I am 22 and I know people from school, work etc.

> Most of them I've met are fine with free speech, they just
> want people held accountable for hate speech.

The term "hate speech" is an elastic word. Some people think that
advocating against immigration or social welfare is already hate speech
that must be forbidden.

> Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences.

That is true, but some people think that opinions they cannot accept
must be censored.

I like that this doesn't happen on Usenet.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<ucqivb$3cgh9$6@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2821&group=comp.misc#2821

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
phoenix
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 19:34:35 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 17:34 UTC

Am 31.08.2023 um 09:35:39 Uhr schrieb The Real Bev:

> On 8/31/23 7:38 AM, rdh wrote:
> > On 8/30/23 17:47, Retrograde wrote:
> >> Most young people will be turned off that it involves text, not
> >> images. That's fine with me. They can gather elsewhere.
> >
> > The lack of moderation is probably more of a turnoff for younger
> > folks. A lot of them just don't have a tolerance for spam.
>
> I rarely see spam;

There are groups like comp.lang.c that are currently flooded with spam.

> the real problem is the people who seem to like
> arguing with other posters about character flaws and incorrect
> 'facts'. I hate seeing threads where that's obviously what happened
> and which are the vast majority of the day's posts.

I cannot agree at least for the technical discussion groups in Usenet,
but also on mailing list and forums.

> I'm tough. I check the groups I began subscribing to back in the 90s
> every day, but it's really depressing. Many posters (some of whom I
> have actually met in RL as a result of usenet) have migrated to
> Cursed Facebook, but the change is distressing. Far fewer
> discussions, just pronouncements; FB doesn't make discussion easy.
> My FB 'friends' are mostly people I "knew" from usenet and their RL
> or net friends.

I don't have FB, I have canceled my WhatApp account, people have to
contact me by email.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<87zg27m7te.fsf@tilde.institute>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2822&group=comp.misc#2822

From: yet...@tilde.institute (yeti)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 17:37:49 +0000
5-s.cF/5tMdha-:]4eBHC9vBXnz4_aNe@d4oijVyix?>pC=tzuQhoD2A8P02+\xO4gNfRBE
`B<kE3T-Gps_d0_6`+0W3E9{D
 by: yeti - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 17:37 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> writes:

> Many posters (some of whom I have actually met in RL as a result of
> usenet) have migrated to Cursed Facebook, but the change is
> distressing. Far fewer discussions, just pronouncements; FB doesn't
> make discussion easy.

Even in new-fedistan (Mastodon and neighbours) discussions are only
badly supported by its design.

Somewhen someone somwhere eplained that (today's) (a?)social networks
try to keep you busy reading more and more and more ... while
newsreaders try to help you to focus to what you want to read/follow
with the filtering/scoring/... features that evolved over the decades.

Unluckily I haven't bookmarked it... :-/

--
|rom The Future. +++ Breaking News From The Future. +++ Breaking News F|
| The USoA are switching to the binary number system because |

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<20230831132319.bd5742e7bb2c3a82631524cc@amongus.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2823&group=comp.misc#2823

From: fun...@amongus.com (Retrograde)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
phoenix
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 13:23:19 -0400
 by: Retrograde - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 17:23 UTC

On Thu, 31 Aug 2023 09:38:35 -0500
rdh <rdh@tilde.institute> wrote:

> On 8/30/23 17:47, Retrograde wrote:
> > Most young people will be turned off that it involves text, not
> > images. That's fine with me. They can gather elsewhere.
>
> The lack of moderation is probably more of a turnoff for younger folks.
> A lot of them just don't have a tolerance for spam.

Killfiles to the rescue! (Remember when Pan called them Bozofilters?
Loved that - so many bozos out there).

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<slrnuf1lu4.f45.dan@djph.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2824&group=comp.misc#2824

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
phoenix
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 18:09:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 18:09 UTC

On 2023-08-31, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am 31.08.2023 um 09:35:39 Uhr schrieb The Real Bev:

>> > The lack of moderation is probably more of a turnoff for younger
>> > folks. A lot of them just don't have a tolerance for spam.
>>
>> I rarely see spam;
>
> There are groups like comp.lang.c that are currently flooded with spam.

If your client's killfiles work with regex ... "Message-ID: .*googlegroups.*$"

Yeah, it murders anything coming in from google groups, which you might
not want to do.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<ucqnid$3decs$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2825&group=comp.misc#2825

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 18:53:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 18:53 UTC

Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:
> Am 31.08.2023 um 09:35:39 Uhr schrieb The Real Bev:

>> > The lack of moderation is probably more of a turnoff for younger
>> > folks. A lot of them just don't have a tolerance for spam.
>>
>> I rarely see spam;
>
> There are groups like comp.lang.c that are currently flooded with spam.

Also sci.crypt -- flooded with hundreds of google groups sourced spams
daily.

Although a killfile rule that kills anything posted from google groups
does clean that mess up.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<20230831222430.feb96f8491a17eeb71691e34@gmail.moc>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2826&group=comp.misc#2826

From: anton....@gmail.moc (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
phoenix
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 22:24:30 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 19:24 UTC

Dan Purgert:

> If your client's killfiles work with regex ...

See also:

http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html

I think I should prefer:

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<20230831222655.3051bef263af8dda68ae847f@gmail.moc>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2827&group=comp.misc#2827

From: anton....@gmail.moc (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
phoenix
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 22:26:55 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 19:26 UTC

Marco Moock:

> There are groups like comp.lang.c that are currently
> flooded with spam.

Yeah, sometimes I would log into Google, open a SPAM-ridden
newsgroup and report messages from vairous spammers via
their interface. Never seemed to help. Perhaps Google
encourage SPAM in Usenet in order to kill it?

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<ucqptl$3dmq9$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2828&group=comp.misc#2828

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 19:33:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 19:33 UTC

Anton Shepelev <anton.txt@gmail.moc> wrote:
> Marco Moock:
>
>> There are groups like comp.lang.c that are currently
>> flooded with spam.
>
> Yeah, sometimes I would log into Google, open a SPAM-ridden newsgroup
> and report messages from vairous spammers via their interface. Never
> seemed to help. Perhaps Google encourage SPAM in Usenet in order to
> kill it?

Google's "report spam" interface seems to go nowhere (other than hiding
the "last X" you so marked from your view in their web interface.

But it did not seem that they went to any team that did anything with
the reports to cut off the spammers using google's interface to inject
that spam.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<ucqq9i$3dma4$5@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2829&group=comp.misc#2829

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
phoenix
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 21:39:30 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 19:39 UTC

Am 31.08.2023 um 22:26:55 Uhr schrieb Anton Shepelev:

> Marco Moock:
>
> > There are groups like comp.lang.c that are currently
> > flooded with spam.
>
> Yeah, sometimes I would log into Google, open a SPAM-ridden
> newsgroup and report messages from vairous spammers via
> their interface. Never seemed to help. Perhaps Google
> encourage SPAM in Usenet in order to kill it?

Google does give a fuck about abuse of their services at all.
They don't care about spam via Gmail too and don't care about abuse
mail, even if ISPs send them.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<i36IM.122244$VPEa.70712@fx33.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2830&group=comp.misc#2830

phoenix
Newsgroups: comp.misc
From: rdh...@tilde.institute (rdh)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 14:43:10 -0500
 by: rdh - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 19:43 UTC

On 8/31/23 12:23, Retrograde wrote:
> Killfiles to the rescue! (Remember when Pan called them Bozofilters?
> Loved that - so many bozos out there).

Killfiles are amazing. I love blocking bad actors!

--
~rdh

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<6d6IM.862430$TPw2.1020@fx17.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2831&group=comp.misc#2831

phoenix
Newsgroups: comp.misc
From: rdh...@tilde.institute (rdh)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 14:53:37 -0500
 by: rdh - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 19:53 UTC

On 8/31/23 11:43, The Real Bev wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Bravo, kid!  I find it terrifying that so many people are just fine with
> censorship as long as it makes everything 'nicer'.
>
> It may be noted that I am in my third Nextdoor jail sentence.  They're
> even worse than Facebook, but since the local fishwraps (both analog and
> digital) are worthless it's the only practical source of actual LOCAL
> news available.  What's scary is that those people are NOT kids.
>
> Hell in a handbasket.

I feel like you guys aren't engaging in good-faith conversation here.
There's a gulf of difference between censorship, and basic moderation to
keep the bots from spamming us with offers for pills or what-the-hell ever.

Killfiles/filters are great, but they only work after the fact.

BTW: If you want a space to get out your opinions, why not try handing
out fliers on a street corner? Nobody can censor you if you're
self-publishing.

--
~rdh

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<slrnuf1v0h.f45.dan@djph.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2832&group=comp.misc#2832

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
phoenix
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 20:44:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 20:44 UTC

On 2023-08-31, Anton Shepelev wrote:
> Dan Purgert:
>
>> If your client's killfiles work with regex ...
>
> See also:
>
> http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
>
> I think I should prefer:

Same thing ultimately :)

--
|_|O|_|

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<1qgclgv.1yi9rym1b8pzx3N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2833&group=comp.misc#2833

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 22:07:55 +0100
iZ4vFDG
 by: Sn!pe - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 21:07 UTC

rdh <rdh@tilde.institute> wrote:

> BTW: If you want a space to get out your opinions, why not try handing
> out fliers on a street corner? Nobody can censor you if you're
> self-publishing.

Troll.

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<1qgclj6.1vhh3el11lyipwN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2834&group=comp.misc#2834

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 22:23:01 +0100
 by: Sn!pe - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 21:23 UTC

Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:

> Am 31.08.2023 um 22:26:55 Uhr schrieb Anton Shepelev:
>
> > Marco Moock:
> >
> > > There are groups like comp.lang.c that are currently
> > > flooded with spam.
> >
> > Yeah, sometimes I would log into Google, open a SPAM-ridden
> > newsgroup and report messages from vairous spammers via
> > their interface. Never seemed to help. Perhaps Google
> > encourage SPAM in Usenet in order to kill it?
> >

> Google does give a fuck about abuse of their services at all.
> They don't care about spam via Gmail too and don't care
> about abuse mail, even if ISPs send them.

IMO Google's real motive is to kill Usenet because they can't monetise
advertising on it. It has always this way ever since they set up their
ersatz "Google Groups" and made a gateway into real Usenet.

Great damage was done done to Usenet resources when Google borged
DejaNews and ruined that very valuable, 99% complete, and easily
searched Usenet archive.

In my view there is not now and never has been much of value contributed
to Usenet by Google.

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<ucr4ah$3f83b$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2835&group=comp.misc#2835

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
phoenix
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 15:30:39 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 22:30 UTC

On 8/31/23 10:34 AM, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am 31.08.2023 um 09:35:39 Uhr schrieb The Real Bev:

>> > The lack of moderation is probably more of a turnoff for younger
>> > folks. A lot of them just don't have a tolerance for spam.
>>
>> I rarely see spam;
>
> There are groups like comp.lang.c that are currently flooded with spam.

The Android group hosts some Android vs iPhone arguments that go on
forever. One group has somebody pushing discount meds and somebody else
offers 'solution manuals'. I haven't seen any "For a good time, call
Sandy..." things, but I get those in email -- fortunately google can
filter most of those out without my help.

>> the real problem is the people who seem to like
>> arguing with other posters about character flaws and incorrect
>> 'facts'. I hate seeing threads where that's obviously what happened
>> and which are the vast majority of the day's posts.
>
> I cannot agree at least for the technical discussion groups in Usenet,
> but also on mailing list and forums.

That's what I thought, but there are always people who take offense and
just don't know when to quit. I know of one wrangle that has been going
on (sporadically now, only a few hardy participants) since 1999,
actually involving a court appearance and a gag order -- which was
disobeyed..

>> I'm tough. I check the groups I began subscribing to back in the 90s
>> every day, but it's really depressing. Many posters (some of whom I
>> have actually met in RL as a result of usenet) have migrated to
>> Cursed Facebook, but the change is distressing. Far fewer
>> discussions, just pronouncements; FB doesn't make discussion easy.
>> My FB 'friends' are mostly people I "knew" from usenet and their RL
>> or net friends.
>
> I don't have FB, I have canceled my WhatApp account, people have to
> contact me by email.

Public groups are valuable. The possibility of interesting strangers
turning up is a good thing. Facebook, if you limit what you see to the
posts of friends and friends-of-friends, screens those out. The price
we pay, and sometimes it's goo high. I miss the people who have dropped
out, but email is frequently inappropriate for net-relationships. Like
work friends... You DO still have those, right? People with whom you
share your innermost secrets but whom you never see or talk to again
after one of you changes jobs.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Let them eat shit."