From: craigbe...@nospam.mac.com (Craig A. Berry)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: OpenVMS x86 on VMWare Fusion
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 10:51:46 -0500
 by: Craig A. Berry - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 15:51 UTC

I mentioned in another thread that I got OpenVMS x86 working on VMWare
Fusion, the free version of their hypervisor for macOS hosts. If you
want to buy an expensive product from VMWare, you certainly should and
it will likely have all the knobs and switches you need to set up a
virtual machine just like the VSI installation guide tells you to.

The free Fusion does not have all the necessary settings in its
interface, but seems to work by editing its settings file as follows.

Locate the the .vmx file by right-clicking on your .vmwarevm file and
choosing "Show Package Contents." Open the .vmx file in a text editor.

Add the following line, or, if the line is already present with a TRUE
setting, change it to FALSE:

scsi0:0.present = "FALSE"

Without that, you'll get a failed boot due to a SCSI driver mismatch
even with no attached SCSI devices, or at least I did.

You *may* get the following line by default if you choose "Other 64-bit"
as the machine type, but if you don't you'll need to set it:

firmware = "efi"

Whatever the default ethernet device is, it doesn't work with VMS, so
you'll need to add this line:

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

The Fusion options for serial support only allow logging to a file,
which isn't going to work if you need an interactive console, such as
for setting up your network the first time. The following gets you a
serial console to which you can connect with "telnet localhost 2023":

serial0.present = "TRUE"
serial0.fileType = "network"
serial0.fileName = "0.0.0.0:2023"
serial0.network.endPoint = "server"
serial0.startConnected = "TRUE"

I'm sure this is all unsupported by VMWare. And every time you change
the settings via the GUI, it tends to overwrite the non-default settings
that are not supported by the GUI, so be prepared to make these changes
again. But free is good, and the results seem to be acceptable so far.

Re: OpenVMS x86 on VMWare Fusion

<f993383b-4472-4c85-8231-be2f225c68c6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28653&group=comp.os.vms#28653

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 12:38:45 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: OpenVMS x86 on VMWare Fusion
From: bwan...@gmail.com (Bob Wilson)
 by: Bob Wilson - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 19:38 UTC

I've been using VMware Fusion for a while and don't remember having much trouble setting it up. I'm using SATA disks, which is different than what you're doing.

Except for adding the serial line items in the .vmx file (with an editor) I don't recall having to do very much that I couldn't do in the GUI to setup the VM and the attached storage.

I was using the free ("player") license for a while until I got a "real" license provided by my management.

The one thing that you don't get with the free license is network connectivity, which wan't too much of a problem for me (anything that I needed to get to/from the Fusion VM I "sneakernet'd" with a .vmdk that was "shared" with a VirtualBox VM)

Re: OpenVMS x86 on VMWare Fusion

<u74vim$3qmo9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28654&group=comp.os.vms#28654

From: craigbe...@nospam.mac.com (Craig A. Berry)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 15:33:26 -0500
 by: Craig A. Berry - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 20:33 UTC

On 6/23/23 2:38 PM, Bob Wilson wrote:
> I've been using VMware Fusion for a while and don't remember having
> much trouble setting it up. I'm using SATA disks, which is different
> than what you're doing.

I'm using SATA disks too, which I believe is the only thing that works
with x86 VMS at the moment. But until I told it scsi0:0 was not
present, it had hiccups. Not sure why.
> Except for adding the serial line items in the .vmx file (with an
> editor) I don't recall having to do very much that I couldn't do in
> the GUI to setup the VM and the attached storage.

It isn't very much. But it took me a while to figure out the magic
incantations. I had no prior experience with any VMWare product.

> I was using the free ("player") license for a while until I got a
> "real" license provided by my management.
>
> The one thing that you don't get with the free license is network
> connectivity, which wan't too much of a problem for me (anything that
> I needed to get to/from the Fusion VM I "sneakernet'd" with a .vmdk
> that was "shared" with a VirtualBox VM)
The network with the free version seems to be working fine after adding:

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

to the config. I have autodetect bridged selected in the GUI for how to
handle interaction with the host's ethernet adapter.