Subject: Another Brick In The 'Disinformation' Wall
From: pop...@corn.com (Pop)
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 06:54:30 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,alt.censorship,alt.privacy,talk.politics.misc
 by: Pop - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 04:54 UTC

There is a totalitarian tendency stalking the world’s democracies. It draws on the idea of “misinformation” and “disinformation” to try to delegitimise opposition to government policies, whatever they might happen to be at the moment.

What is “misinformation” or “disinformation”? While there are suitable dictionary definitions—the first is accidentally untrue information, and the second is deliberately untrue information. These definitions beg the real question—“What is truth, and how do you determine it?”

This seems to have suddenly become a matter of pressing importance, particularly in the English-speaking world, with what looks suspiciously like a coordinated push by governments to introduce legislation to control “untruths” on the internet.

< https://www.zerohedge.com/political/another-brick-disinformation-wall>