C:\> WIN Bad command or filename C:\> LOSE Loading Microsoft Windows ...

computers / comp.os.vms / Re: looking for a good home for misc parts

SubjectAuthor
* looking for a good home for misc partsVerne Britton
+- Re: looking for a good home for misc partsJohn Dallman
+* Re: looking for a good home for misc partsbill
|`- Re: looking for a good home for misc partsSimon Clubley
`- Re: looking for a good home for misc partsDave McGuire

1
looking for a good home for misc parts

<c3712bdd-f069-4ec8-8153-e3fb7db782bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28722&group=comp.os.vms#28722

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 06:35:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: looking for a good home for misc parts
From: verne.br...@gmail.com (Verne Britton)
 by: Verne Britton - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 13:35 UTC

My wife has been after me for YEARS to clean out at least one of the three storage lockers I am renting with lots of misc Vax and Alpha parts.

Some, like RA60 disk drives, weigh a lot (as well as the actual RA60 disks), others are just controller/interface boards, as well as BA350 family disk shelves, plus a couple of Rainbows that have not been turned on for 20+ years.

Instead of just taking it all to the local dump, I would love to find a good home for my 'treasures', but don't have the budget to pay for shipping, and of course don't have any of the original boxes/cartons either.

I suppose I can list items one by one on eBay to attempt to recoup the cost of almost 20yrs of renting the storage lockers here in West Virginia, but that of course is very labor intensive.

I guess the first step might be to try to get a decent inventory so I can intelligently talk about my collection.

Thoughts?

Verne

Re: looking for a good home for misc parts

<memo.20230708143753.16808c@jgd.cix.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28723&group=comp.os.vms#28723

From: jgd...@cix.co.uk (John Dallman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: looking for a good home for misc parts
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 14:37 +0100 (BST)
 by: John Dallman - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 13:37 UTC

In article <c3712bdd-f069-4ec8-8153-e3fb7db782bbn@googlegroups.com>,
verne.britton@gmail.com (Verne Britton) wrote:

> I guess the first step might be to try to get a decent inventory so
> I can intelligently talk about my collection.

That's always the first step.

John

Re: looking for a good home for misc parts

<kgt7q2F2290U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28724&group=comp.os.vms#28724

From: bill.gun...@gmail.com (bill)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 09:48:50 -0400
 by: bill - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 13:48 UTC

On 7/8/2023 9:35 AM, Verne Britton wrote:
> My wife has been after me for YEARS to clean out at least one of the three storage lockers I am renting with lots of misc Vax and Alpha parts.
>
> Some, like RA60 disk drives, weigh a lot (as well as the actual RA60 disks), others are just controller/interface boards, as well as BA350 family disk shelves, plus a couple of Rainbows that have not been turned on for 20+ years.
>
> Instead of just taking it all to the local dump, I would love to find a good home for my 'treasures', but don't have the budget to pay for shipping, and of course don't have any of the original boxes/cartons either.
>
> I suppose I can list items one by one on eBay to attempt to recoup the cost of almost 20yrs of renting the storage lockers here in West Virginia, but that of course is very labor intensive.
>
> I guess the first step might be to try to get a decent inventory so I can intelligently talk about my collection.
>
> Thoughts?

Well. at this stage of the game I am not really up to making any
roadtrips but I would love to have a Rainbow or two.

bill

Re: looking for a good home for misc parts

<u8gt18$2h745$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28733&group=comp.os.vms#28733

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 12:19:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 12:19 UTC

On 2023-07-08, bill <bill.gunshannon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/8/2023 9:35 AM, Verne Britton wrote:
>> My wife has been after me for YEARS to clean out at least one of the three storage lockers I am renting with lots of misc Vax and Alpha parts.
>>

> Well. at this stage of the game I am not really up to making any
> roadtrips but I would love to have a Rainbow or two.

I _really_ hope the OP checks the power supply and board components
_before_ applying power to the system. I would hate to see such systems
get destroyed simply because the usual checks were not done before
they were powered up after all this time.

Simon.

Re: looking for a good home for misc parts

<u8kvk0$2a2f$1@mail.neurotica.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28780&group=comp.os.vms#28780

From: mcgu...@neurotica.com (Dave McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 21:28:32 -0400
 by: Dave McGuire - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 01:28 UTC

On 7/8/23 09:35, Verne Britton wrote:
> My wife has been after me for YEARS to clean out at least one of the three storage lockers I am renting with lots of misc Vax and Alpha parts.
>
> Some, like RA60 disk drives, weigh a lot (as well as the actual RA60 disks), others are just controller/interface boards, as well as BA350 family disk shelves, plus a couple of Rainbows that have not been turned on for 20+ years.
>
> Instead of just taking it all to the local dump, I would love to find a good home for my 'treasures', but don't have the budget to pay for shipping, and of course don't have any of the original boxes/cartons either.
>
> I suppose I can list items one by one on eBay to attempt to recoup the cost of almost 20yrs of renting the storage lockers here in West Virginia, but that of course is very labor intensive.
>
> I guess the first step might be to try to get a decent inventory so I can intelligently talk about my collection.
>
> Thoughts?

We at LSSM in Pittsburgh are interested. I've emailed you privately.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA