From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Is your phone GPP certified & do you use the default GPP safe browsing & GPP find my phone features?
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 17:44:06 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 17:44 UTC

Is your phone GPP certified & do you use the default GPP safe browsing & GPP
find my phone features?

This thread is an attempt to expand my (our?) knowledge of what Google Play
Protect is doing on our phones, given it seems to do a _lot_ of things, and
as such, this thread is an offshoot of this thread explaining what GPP is.
*Should we turn on Google Play Protect?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/7F68cy1NE9Q>

I was completely ignorant of what Google Play Protect does yesterday where
this question asks you if you see what this article says you should see?
a. Your phone should state that it's "certified" by GPP
b. Your Chrome browser should has "safe browsing" by GPP
c. Your phone should have a "find my phone" inside of GPP

A. I can't test the first because I don't have an account on the phone.
B. And I didn't test the next as I use the ungoogled chromium instead.
C. And I didn't test the last as I don't log into the google play store.

Most of you, however, almost certainly do _all_ of the above, right?

Can you let the rest of us know what _you_ see when following instructions?
<https://www.howtogeek.com/355504/what-is-google-play-protect-and-how-does-it-keep-android-secure/>
That claims Google Play Protect is
1. part malware scanner,
2. part Find My Phone,
3. and part Safe Browsing.

And this claims that Google Play Protect has "Certification" information.
<https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7165974>
Check your Play Protect certification status
a. Open the Google Play Store app Google Play.
b. At the top right, tap the profile icon.
c. Tap Play Protect.
d. That is supposed to tell you if your device is Play Protect certified.

This supposedly provides your history of "google play protect status"
<https://www.howtogeek.com/355504/what-is-google-play-protect-and-how-does-it-keep-android-secure/>
a. Open the Play Store menu,
b. and then select the 'My Apps & Games' setting.
c. Look at the top option on the My Apps & Games page,
d. Which outlines a summary of your Google Play Protect status.
e. Tap it to find out more.

And, from the same source, this allows you to find your phone without
triggering any remote lock or wiping worries in the least.
a. You can use Play Protect's Find My Phone to track your device.
b. Regardless of whether it's lost or stolen,
c. you can track down the phone's current (or last known) location.
d. And if it seems like you're not getting your phone back,
e. you can use Find My Phone to remotely lock and wipe your device.

Given I can't run any of these, but that most of you can, would a
purposefully helpful kind-hearted set of people kindly run the steps above
and report results so that we all benefit from your actions on Usenet.
--
Android requires hundreds of tweaks to get it running efficiently.

Re: Is your phone GPP certified & do you use the default GPP safe browsing & GPP find my phone features?

<t0fcjh$1jjs$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29089&group=comp.mobile.android#29089

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 11:42:40 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 11:42 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Given I can't run any of these, but that most of you can, would a
> purposefully helpful kind-hearted set of people kindly run the steps above
> and report results so that we all benefit from your actions on Usenet.

I found out how to tell if a device is certified without an account.
<https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/113412>

Google Play Store > ... > Settings > About > Play Protect certification

Mine says: Device is certified

Re: Is your phone GPP certified

<t0fun6$5hm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29106&group=comp.mobile.android#29106

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Is your phone GPP certified
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 09:51:48 -0700
 by: AJL - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 16:51 UTC

On 3/11/2022 4:42 AM, Andy Burnelli wrote:

> I found out how to tell if a device is certified without an account.
> <https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/113412>

> Google Play Store > ... > Settings > About > Play Protect certification

> Mine says: Device is certified

My Amazon Fire tablets on which I sideloaded the Google Play Store says
"Device is not certified". No surprise there.

If I tic the above Play Protect page certification line it takes me to

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7165974

Where it tells me all the scary things that may go wrong using my
non-certified device.

But then when using my non-certified Amazon Fire device and go to:

Google Play Store > owner icon upper right > and tic Play Protect

It says "No harmful apps found. It has a scan button. When pushed an
icon twirls for several seconds and Google repeats that there are no
harmful apps.

Bottom line: Google says my unsafe device is safe...

Re: Is your phone GPP certified

<t0g1dq$eo9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29114&group=comp.mobile.android#29114

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 17:38:00 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 17:38 UTC

AJL wrote:

> My Amazon Fire tablets on which I sideloaded the Google Play Store says
> "Device is not certified". No surprise there.

Thanks for looking it up as I _am_ surprised that the Amazon Fire tablet
isn't certified. But I don't really know anything about them so I thank you
for letting us know this fact.

> If I tic the above Play Protect page certification line it takes me to
>
> https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7165974
>
> Where it tells me all the scary things that may go wrong using my
> non-certified device.

Wow. I guess I don't have to worry about those scary things! :)
> But then when using my non-certified Amazon Fire device and go to:
>
> Google Play Store > owner icon upper right > and tic Play Protect
>
> It says "No harmful apps found. It has a scan button. When pushed an
> icon twirls for several seconds and Google repeats that there are no
> harmful apps.
>
> Bottom line: Google says my unsafe device is safe...

Yup. Mine doesn't even have Google Play Protect turned on, but when I ran
the scan last week, Google told me my unsafe device was also safe!

Thanks for running the test as I'm not a normal user of Android as I don't
even have an account on the phone and I turn a lot of google stuff off.