Every little picofarad has a nanohenry all its own. -- Don Vonada

computers / comp.mobile.android / Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?

SubjectAuthor
* Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?jaugustine
+- Re: Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?Joerg Lorenz
+- Re: Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?VanguardLH
+- Re: Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?Bob F
`* Re: Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?Mayayana
 `* Re: Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?VanguardLH
  `* Re: Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?Mayayana
   `* Re: Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?Frank Slootweg
    +* Re: Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?VanguardLH
    |`- Re: Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?Mayayana
    `- Re: Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?Mayayana

1
Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?

<nhtb2hpff8vtoil9vktjvoqage677o01q3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28832&group=comp.mobile.android#28832

From: jaugust...@verizon.net
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 07:12:23 -0500
 by: jaugust...@verizon.net - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 12:12 UTC

Hi,

I have a Tracfone, Samsung Galaxy A11 that I normally do not
use since I also have a land line phone.

The Tracfone is normally turned off.

I disabled the Voicemail app on the phone, but I may after
several months, enable Voicemail temporary so I can delete
all the messages. Note: I prefer Text messages.

Can I delete Voicemail messages without hearing them?

Thank You in advance, John

Re: Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?

<t04t9o$6bl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28833&group=comp.mobile.android#28833

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 13:20:08 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 12:20 UTC

Am 07.03.22 um 13:12 schrieb jaugustine@verizon.net:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Tracfone, Samsung Galaxy A11 that I normally do not
> use since I also have a land line phone.
>
> The Tracfone is normally turned off.
>
> I disabled the Voicemail app on the phone, but I may after
> several months, enable Voicemail temporary so I can delete
> all the messages. Note: I prefer Text messages.
>
> Can I delete Voicemail messages without hearing them?
>
> Thank You in advance, John

You asked exactly the same question on February 26.
You recieved a number of answers but you never reacted.
This question has nothing to do with Android.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?

<1hlm8ejf8fapq.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28844&group=comp.mobile.android#28844

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 12:38:49 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 18:38 UTC

jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:

> I have a Tracfone, Samsung Galaxy A11 that I normally do not
> use since I also have a land line phone.
>
> The Tracfone is normally turned off.
>
> I disabled the Voicemail app on the phone, but I may after
> several months, enable Voicemail temporary so I can delete
> all the messages. Note: I prefer Text messages.
>
> Can I delete Voicemail messages without hearing them?
>
> Thank You in advance, John

Besides the suggestions in your older duplicate inquiry, you could
contact Tracfone for help. I've always found them helpful - if they
can. Since they are an MVNO reselling the services of the big carriers,
they can't do much regarding features of whomever you were assigned as
the actual carrier. The voicemail service comes from the carrier, not
from Tracfone. Alas, you are a customer of Tracfone, not of the
carrier.(*) You'll have an online account with Tracfone into which you
can log into via web, but you won't have an account with the carrier to
login into an account with them (to manage your voicemail service with
them).

They don't have a lot of relevant help at their web site, because
they're not the actual cellular provider. You can contact them phone by
using the Contact Us button at https://support.tracfone.com/.

If you're just going to delete the messages, and not bother to listen to
any, why not also just not bother to review them (to delete them)?
Leave the voicemail app disabled as you did, leave it disabled, and
don't bother reviewing messages you're just going to delete, anyway. I
suspect in about 30 days that the old messages get auto-deleted
(something you could verify with Tracfone).

I don't have the Visual Voicemail feature in the Phone app that came in
my old LG V20. I do use Google Voice, and its voicemail service, and
the Google Voice app has its own visual voicemail feature (but obviously
only for voicemails left at my Google Voice number, not for voicemails
at my cellular carrier). I've not tried it, but there are visual
voicemail apps, like:

My Visual Voicemail
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vna.service.vvm

Apparently Tracfone can help support visual voicemail (from the carrier)
depending on which phone you have; see:

https://support.tracfone.com/tutorials/messaging/set-up-visual-voicemail

Those give instructions on those phones where in the Phone app's
settings you configure visual voicemail. I wandered through the Phone
app's settings on my old phone, and there is no visual voicemail
setting, so I would have to use a different app to do visual voicemail.

https://blog.tracfone.com/what-is-visual-voicemail/

That mentions some other apps. You say you have Tracfone. That could
mean you have a Tracfone-locked phone using Tracfone's service, you have
a BYOB phone (unlocked) and are using Tracfone's service. You'd need to
contact Tracfone to see to which major carrier you got assigned. There
are visual voicemail apps that are specific and provided by the
carriers.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=visual%20voicemail&c=apps

That shows visual voicemail apps from T-Mobile, AT&T, Cricket, Xfinity,
and so on along with independent apps. Since you'll be contacting
Tracfone for which carrier they assigned to you, ask them what they
suggest as the best visual voicemail app (if your phone doesn't have the
feature), and check if using visual voicemail will eat up some of your
data quota (since you aren't getting unlimited through Tracfone).

You could hunt around for suggestions on visual voicemail apps, like:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=best+android+visual+voicemail+app

I haven't used a visual voicemail app. To my Google Voice phone number,
I have it send me a copy of voicemail to me via voicemail, and that
includes a transcription. The Google Voice app lets me see a
transcription off voicemails (i.e., visual voicemail). However, I can
only delete one message at a time. For each message, I tap on the 3-dot
menu button, and select Delete. I don't keep messages, so I only have 1
retained one right now. I don't know if a list of messages would be
presented where I could select multiple messages to delete. The app
helps manage voicemails to my Google Voice phone number, not to my
cellular number. For that, and because my old phone's Phone app doesn't
have a visual voicemail option, I'd have to play around with visual
voicemail apps to see which work best.

If the visual voicemail app has me deleting messages one at a time,
well, that's no better than me long-pressing "1" or calling my own
cellular number from my cell phone to use the audible prompts to select
a message to then press "7" to delete it (before having to listen to the
entire message), but wading one-by-one through a visual voicemail app
might be easier and faster than wading through audible prompts.

Re: Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?

<t094kf$s1o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28962&group=comp.mobile.android#28962

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 18:49:52 -0800
 by: Bob F - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 02:49 UTC

On 3/7/2022 4:12 AM, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Tracfone, Samsung Galaxy A11 that I normally do not
> use since I also have a land line phone.
>
> The Tracfone is normally turned off.
>
> I disabled the Voicemail app on the phone, but I may after
> several months, enable Voicemail temporary so I can delete
> all the messages. Note: I prefer Text messages.
>
> Can I delete Voicemail messages without hearing them?
>
> Thank You in advance, John

I just call my cell # from my landline, hit a few keys, then listen to
and/or delete messages as needed. No need to turn anything on.

Re: Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?

<t0aaue$1c2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28966&group=comp.mobile.android#28966

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 08:43:19 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 13:43 UTC

<jaugustine@verizon.net> wrote

| I have a Tracfone, Samsung Galaxy A11 that I normally do not
| use since I also have a land line phone.
| | The Tracfone is normally turned off.
| | I disabled the Voicemail app on the phone, but I may after
| several months, enable Voicemail temporary so I can delete
| all the messages. Note: I prefer Text messages.
| | Can I delete Voicemail messages without hearing them?

I have a similar arrangement. Tracfone. Leave it turned
off. As I recall the messages seem to delete automatically
after a few days. I never check, anyway, unless I've
arranged for someone to leave a message.

I decided to check when I saw your post. But my answering
was completely gone! I had to get a new phone for 4G (Blu)
and apparently that somehow cleared my settings on the
Tracfone server. It prompted me to enter a passcode and
message as though I had never had messages before! Lucky
for me that the only messages I had were of women speaking
excitedly in Chinese. :)

Re: Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?

<1u33ml5kfvs3b$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29014&group=comp.mobile.android#29014

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 12:05:33 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 18:05 UTC

Mayayana wrote:

> <jaugustine@verizon.net> wrote
>
>| I have a Tracfone, Samsung Galaxy A11 that I normally do not
>| use since I also have a land line phone.
>|
>| The Tracfone is normally turned off.
>|
>| I disabled the Voicemail app on the phone, but I may after
>| several months, enable Voicemail temporary so I can delete
>| all the messages. Note: I prefer Text messages.
>|
>| Can I delete Voicemail messages without hearing them?
>|

> I have a similar arrangement. Tracfone. Leave it turned
> off. As I recall the messages seem to delete automatically
> after a few days. I never check, anyway, unless I've
> arranged for someone to leave a message.
>
> I decided to check when I saw your post. But my answering
> was completely gone! I had to get a new phone for 4G (Blu)
> and apparently that somehow cleared my settings on the
> Tracfone server. It prompted me to enter a passcode and
> message as though I had never had messages before! Lucky
> for me that the only messages I had were of women speaking
> excitedly in Chinese. :)

Tracfone (who had assigned AT&T as my carrier) told me that once
activated they could not deactivate the voicemail service at the actual
carrier. Tracfone didn't have permission, they weren't providing the
voicemail service, but the carrier wouldn't support me because I was not
their customer. Tracfone's suggestions were to have them change me to a
different carrier (create a new account), change my phone number, or
replace the SIM card in my phone (which would require creating a new
account at the carrier). And, then, be damn sure that I never activated
voicemail with the carrier: Tracfone cannot disable voicemail once
activated, and the carrier won't support me since I'm not their customer
to disable voicemail. I didn't want to lose my thousands of rollover
minutes at Tracfone, so I didn't putz around with creating a new account
for a different carrier, or changing the SIM card. I suspect your new
phone had a different SIM; i.e., you didn't migrate your old SIM card to
your new phone.

Creating a new account, the carrier, or SIM card doesn't alter that
whether or not you can mass delete all voicemail messages at once
depends on what options the carrier supplied in their voicemail service.
With me assigned to AT&T by Tracfone, AT&T's voicemail prompts don't
permit mass deletes. It's start listening to a message, and hit "7" to
delete it, and proceed through the rest of the messages one by one. If
I were an AT&T customer, I'd have an account with them, and could log
into an AT&T account where its web client might have a mass delete
option. I can't create an AT&T account to look at what options their
web client affords, because I'm a Tracfone customer, not an AT&T
customer.

Tracfone got acquired by Verizon. While the Tracfone articles state
that no immediate changes will apply to existing Tracfone customers who
were assigned to non-Verizon carriers, the insinuation is that a change
will eventually come. I don't know what Verizon has for options in
their voicemail service whether via voice prompts (you call into
voicemail) or via their web site, but then being a Tracfone customer
might not give you a Verizon account to use their web client, anyway.

Re: Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?

<t0auv4$d27$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29023&group=comp.mobile.android#29023

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 14:25:01 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 19:25 UTC

"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote
| | Tracfone got acquired by Verizon. While the Tracfone articles state
| that no immediate changes will apply to existing Tracfone customers who
| were assigned to non-Verizon carriers, the insinuation is that a change
| will eventually come.

I also did get a new SIM card, but with the same number.
I'd just assumed the voicemail would carry over. But I notice
that the setup was different this time, forcing me to record
a message. So maybe it's now on Verizon servers.

Re: Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?

<t0b41g.155o.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29027&group=comp.mobile.android#29027

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 9 Mar 2022 19:52:09 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 19:52 UTC

Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote
> |
> | Tracfone got acquired by Verizon. While the Tracfone articles state
> | that no immediate changes will apply to existing Tracfone customers who
> | were assigned to non-Verizon carriers, the insinuation is that a change
> | will eventually come.
>
> I also did get a new SIM card, but with the same number.
> I'd just assumed the voicemail would carry over. But I notice
> that the setup was different this time, forcing me to record
> a message. So maybe it's now on Verizon servers.

Hopefully you don't mention your name or any other personal info in
that message! :-)

Re: Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?

<o5l00vhj7i19$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29030&group=comp.mobile.android#29030

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 14:34:59 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 20:34 UTC

Frank Slootweg wrote:

> Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>
>> I also did get a new SIM card, but with the same number.
>> I'd just assumed the voicemail would carry over. But I notice
>> that the setup was different this time, forcing me to record
>> a message. So maybe it's now on Verizon servers.
>
> Hopefully you don't mention your name or any other personal info in
> that message! :-)

The Tracfone help pages says you must make at least 1 call before
voicemail can be setup. After the 1st, or subsequent call, you can then
dial into your carrier's service to setup voicemail.

https://blog.tracfone.com/set-up-voicemail-in-4-easy-steps/

Or maybe Mayayana already made the initial call, dialed his own cell
number using the phone assigned to use his assigned carrier, and got
prompted to activate and configure the voicemail settings, like
recording his name as the outgoing message, or pick other admin options.

Re: Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?

<t0bbhf$itu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29035&group=comp.mobile.android#29035

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 17:59:36 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 22:59 UTC

"Frank Slootweg" <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote

| Hopefully you don't mention your name or any other personal info in
| that message! :-)

What are you nuts? I talked like a little old lady and garbled
a fake name. Of course, that has its limitations. I can't call
Google to ask them where I am when I get lost.

I have a neice who signed up for gmail years ago when
she was about 12. I warned her that it's nasty spyware.
She answered, "Oh, I know. I told them I was an old farmer
from Arkansas."

Re: Deleting Voicemail Messages without Hearing Them?

<t0bbm3$o28$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29036&group=comp.mobile.android#29036

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 18:02:04 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 23:02 UTC

"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote

| The Tracfone help pages says you must make at least 1 call before
| voicemail can be setup. After the 1st, or subsequent call, you can then
| dial into your carrier's service to setup voicemail.
| | https://blog.tracfone.com/set-up-voicemail-in-4-easy-steps/
| | Or maybe Mayayana already made the initial call, dialed his own cell
| number using the phone assigned to use his assigned carrier, and got
| prompted to activate and configure the voicemail settings, like
| recording his name as the outgoing message, or pick other admin options.

I've had the new phone for months, but I almost
never check messages. I hadn't checked since I
updated the phone. So I only found out it wasn't
set up for answering calls because I tried to log
in to check messages, in order to answer John's post.
If it hadn't been for that, I might have never found out.