Immortality consists largely of boredom. -- Zefrem Cochrane, "Metamorphosis", stardate 3219.8

computers / comp.os.vms / DECUS Software

SubjectAuthor
* DECUS Softwarebill
+* Re: DECUS SoftwareJohnny Billquist
|`* Re: DECUS Softwarebill
| +* Re: DECUS SoftwareJohnny Billquist
| |`- Re: DECUS Softwarebill
| `- Re: DECUS SoftwareDave Froble
`* Re: DECUS SoftwareArne Vajhøj
 +* Re: DECUS Softwarebill
 |+* Re: DECUS SoftwareJohnny Billquist
 ||`* Re: DECUS Softwarebill
 || +- Re: DECUS SoftwareJohnny Billquist
 || `- Re: DECUS SoftwareDavid Wade
 |`* Re: DECUS SoftwareHunter Goatley
 | +* Re: DECUS Softwarebill
 | |`* Re: DECUS Softwarebill
 | | +- Re: DECUS SoftwareMark Daniel
 | | `- Re: DECUS SoftwareRobert A. Brooks
 | `* Re: DECUS SoftwareMark Daniel
 |  +- Re: DECUS SoftwareJohnny Billquist
 |  `* Re: DECUS SoftwareRichard
 |   +* Re: DECUS SoftwareIan Miller
 |   |+* Re: DECUS SoftwareAndy Burns
 |   ||`* Re: DECUS Softwarebill
 |   || +- Re: DECUS SoftwareMark Daniel
 |   || `- Re: DECUS SoftwareHunter Goatley
 |   |+* Re: DECUS Softwareterry-...@glaver.org
 |   ||+- Re: DECUS SoftwareMark Daniel
 |   ||`- Re: DECUS SoftwareRichard
 |   |+- Re: DECUS SoftwareRichard
 |   |`- Re: DECUS SoftwareMark Daniel
 |   `- Re: DECUS SoftwareMark Daniel
 `- Re: DECUS Softwareplugh

Pages:12
DECUS Software

<khnh62Fc0opU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28875&group=comp.os.vms#28875

From: bill.gun...@gmail.com (bill)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: DECUS Software
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 09:08:18 -0400
 by: bill - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 13:08 UTC

I know that most (but sadly, not all) of the DECUS Symposium Tapes
are scattered around the web for the taking but.....

Is there an archive anywhere of all (or some?) the various DECUS
products that are listed in the PDP-11 and VAX Software Sourcebooks?

There are a lot of really interesting things listed in there and it
would be not only fun read some of the sources but even more fun to
try and revive some of them on more current systems.

Anybody know where they might be found? Does anyone who might have
helped maintain the DECUS archives back in the day still exist?

bill

Re: DECUS Software

<u966b4$7ph$2@news.misty.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28878&group=comp.os.vms#28878

From: bqt...@softjar.se (Johnny Billquist)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: DECUS Software
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:07:32 +0200
 by: Johnny Billquist - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 14:07 UTC

On 2023-07-18 15:08, bill wrote:

> I know that most (but sadly, not all) of the DECUS Symposium Tapes
> are scattered around the web for the taking but.....
>
> Is there an archive anywhere of all (or some?) the various DECUS
> products that are listed in the PDP-11 and VAX Software Sourcebooks?
>
> There are a lot of really interesting things listed in there and it
> would be not only fun read some of the sources but even more fun to
> try and revive some of them on more current systems.
>
> Anybody know where they might be found?  Does anyone who might have
> helped maintain the DECUS archives back in the day still exist?

Most of the PDP-11 symposium tapes are still possible to find.
Individual items might be trickier sometimes...

Don't know for sure about the VAX bits...

Johnny

Re: DECUS Software

<khnkvhFc0oqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28880&group=comp.os.vms#28880

From: bill.gun...@gmail.com (bill)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 10:13:05 -0400
 by: bill - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 14:13 UTC

On 7/18/2023 10:07 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2023-07-18 15:08, bill wrote:
>>
>> I know that most (but sadly, not all) of the DECUS Symposium Tapes
>> are scattered around the web for the taking but.....
>>
>> Is there an archive anywhere of all (or some?) the various DECUS
>> products that are listed in the PDP-11 and VAX Software Sourcebooks?
>>
>> There are a lot of really interesting things listed in there and it
>> would be not only fun read some of the sources but even more fun to
>> try and revive some of them on more current systems.
>>
>> Anybody know where they might be found?  Does anyone who might have
>> helped maintain the DECUS archives back in the day still exist?
>
> Most of the PDP-11 symposium tapes are still possible to find.
> Individual items might be trickier sometimes...
>
> Don't know for sure about the VAX bits...

As stated, I know the Symposium Tapes (except for the one I really
want!) are usually available. I am interested in the stuff that was
listed as products "available from DECUS" in the PDP_11 and VAX
Software Sourcebooks. Did all the stuff held by DECUS end up in the
trash with the only survivors being stuff individuals kept copies of?
We're talking hundreds of interesting packages. Is all of that lost
like all the other commercial stuff?

bill

Re: DECUS Software

<u96asj$1mi1e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28881&group=comp.os.vms#28881

From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 11:25:09 -0400
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:25 UTC

On 7/18/2023 9:08 AM, bill wrote:
> I know that most (but sadly, not all) of the DECUS Symposium Tapes
> are scattered around the web for the taking but.....
>
> Is there an archive anywhere of all (or some?) the various DECUS
> products that are listed in the PDP-11 and VAX Software Sourcebooks?
>
> There are a lot of really interesting things listed in there and it
> would be not only fun read some of the sources but even more fun to
> try and revive some of them on more current systems.
>
> Anybody know where they might be found?  Does anyone who might have
> helped maintain the DECUS archives back in the day still exist?

https://www.digiater.nl/openvms/decus/

has some of the "later" VMS and L&T SIG tapes.

I have no idea about the more "exotic" ones
like all the PDP-11 OS SIG's.

Glen Everhart should still be around and may know more.

Arne

Re: DECUS Software

<khnvu2Fc0opU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28884&group=comp.os.vms#28884

From: bill.gun...@gmail.com (bill)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 13:20:01 -0400
 by: bill - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 17:20 UTC

On 7/18/2023 11:25 AM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 7/18/2023 9:08 AM, bill wrote:
>> I know that most (but sadly, not all) of the DECUS Symposium Tapes
>> are scattered around the web for the taking but.....
>>
>> Is there an archive anywhere of all (or some?) the various DECUS
>> products that are listed in the PDP-11 and VAX Software Sourcebooks?
>>
>> There are a lot of really interesting things listed in there and it
>> would be not only fun read some of the sources but even more fun to
>> try and revive some of them on more current systems.
>>
>> Anybody know where they might be found?  Does anyone who might have
>> helped maintain the DECUS archives back in the day still exist?
>
> https://www.digiater.nl/openvms/decus/
>
> has some of the "later" VMS and L&T SIG tapes.
>
> I have no idea about the more "exotic" ones
> like all the PDP-11 OS SIG's.
>
> Glen Everhart should still be around and may know more.

Again, I am not talking about SIG Tapes. I am talking about products
that DECUS sold that were listed in the DEC Software Sourcebooks for
the PDP-11 and VAX.

Maybe a few examples might help,

Dual-Processor RT-11 System - DECUS number 11-436 Price: $5-$225
C Language System, Second Master Release - DECUS number 11-SP-18 Price:
$5-$225
(This is not DECUS C!!)

And in the VAX book:

APL-11 - DECUS number 11-SP-25 Price: $5-$225
SEDT: Full-Function Screen Editor Program - DECUS number VAX-93 Price:
$5-$225

Interesting pricing scheme. :-)

bill

Re: DECUS Software

<u96kg7$o5u$2@news.misty.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28892&group=comp.os.vms#28892

From: bqt...@softjar.se (Johnny Billquist)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 20:09:11 +0200
 by: Johnny Billquist - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 18:09 UTC

On 2023-07-18 16:13, bill wrote:
> On 7/18/2023 10:07 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> On 2023-07-18 15:08, bill wrote:
>>>
>>> I know that most (but sadly, not all) of the DECUS Symposium Tapes
>>> are scattered around the web for the taking but.....
>>>
>>> Is there an archive anywhere of all (or some?) the various DECUS
>>> products that are listed in the PDP-11 and VAX Software Sourcebooks?
>>>
>>> There are a lot of really interesting things listed in there and it
>>> would be not only fun read some of the sources but even more fun to
>>> try and revive some of them on more current systems.
>>>
>>> Anybody know where they might be found?  Does anyone who might have
>>> helped maintain the DECUS archives back in the day still exist?
>>
>> Most of the PDP-11 symposium tapes are still possible to find.
>> Individual items might be trickier sometimes...
>>
>> Don't know for sure about the VAX bits...
>>

> As stated, I know the Symposium Tapes (except for the one I really
> want!) are usually available.  I am interested in the stuff that was
> listed as products "available from DECUS" in the PDP_11 and VAX
> Software Sourcebooks.  Did all the stuff held  by DECUS end up in the
> trash with the only survivors being stuff individuals kept copies of?
> We're talking hundreds of interesting packages.  Is all of that lost
> like all the other commercial stuff?

I think so. :-(

Johnny

Re: DECUS Software

<u96kob$o5u$3@news.misty.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28893&group=comp.os.vms#28893

From: bqt...@softjar.se (Johnny Billquist)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 20:13:31 +0200
 by: Johnny Billquist - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 18:13 UTC

On 2023-07-18 19:20, bill wrote:
> On 7/18/2023 11:25 AM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> On 7/18/2023 9:08 AM, bill wrote:
>>> I know that most (but sadly, not all) of the DECUS Symposium Tapes
>>> are scattered around the web for the taking but.....
>>>
>>> Is there an archive anywhere of all (or some?) the various DECUS
>>> products that are listed in the PDP-11 and VAX Software Sourcebooks?
>>>
>>> There are a lot of really interesting things listed in there and it
>>> would be not only fun read some of the sources but even more fun to
>>> try and revive some of them on more current systems.
>>>
>>> Anybody know where they might be found?  Does anyone who might have
>>> helped maintain the DECUS archives back in the day still exist?
>>
>> https://www.digiater.nl/openvms/decus/
>>
>> has some of the "later" VMS and L&T SIG tapes.
>>
>> I have no idea about the more "exotic" ones
>> like all the PDP-11 OS SIG's.
>>
>> Glen Everhart should still be around and may know more.
>>

> Again, I am not talking about SIG Tapes.  I am talking about products
> that DECUS sold that were listed in the DEC Software Sourcebooks for
> the PDP-11 and VAX.
>
> Maybe a few examples might help,
>
> Dual-Processor RT-11 System - DECUS number 11-436  Price: $5-$225

This one I have no clue what it actually was/is.

> C Language System, Second Master Release - DECUS number 11-SP-18  Price:
> $5-$225
> (This is not DECUS C!!)

Actually, I think it is. They did have a second master release. Lots of
things moved around.

> And  in the VAX book:
>
> APL-11 - DECUS number 11-SP-25  Price: $5-$225

I might actually have this one. Had to fix a few things to make it work
on a more modern version of RSX...

> SEDT: Full-Function Screen Editor Program - DECUS number VAX-93  Price:
> $5-$225
>
> Interesting pricing scheme.  :-)

My recollection of the pricing was that it was the cost of media, plus a
modest cost for making the copy. And then you could (at least in some
cases) also order hardcopy documentation, which added to the price.

I did order some PDP-8 software from DECUS back in the 80s... Got some
nice 8" floppies with what I wanted. Wasn't that expensive, but it did
cost me a little bit.

Johnny

Re: DECUS Software

<khojfkFc0oqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28896&group=comp.os.vms#28896

From: bill.gun...@gmail.com (bill)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 18:53:39 -0400
 by: bill - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 22:53 UTC

On 7/18/2023 2:13 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2023-07-18 19:20, bill wrote:

>>> https://www.digiater.nl/openvms/decus/
>>>
>>> has some of the "later" VMS and L&T SIG tapes.
>>>
>>> I have no idea about the more "exotic" ones
>>> like all the PDP-11 OS SIG's.
>>>
>>> Glen Everhart should still be around and may know more.
>>>

>> Again, I am not talking about SIG Tapes.  I am talking about products
>> that DECUS sold that were listed in the DEC Software Sourcebooks for
>> the PDP-11 and VAX.
>>
>> Maybe a few examples might help,
>>
>> Dual-Processor RT-11 System - DECUS number 11-436  Price: $5-$225
>
> This one I have no clue what it actually was/is.

"This set of RT-11 device handlers allows two PDP-11 CPUs
connected by a DA11-F bus interface to share the same disk
or DECtape controllers: RK11, RL11, or TC11. Each CPU runs
its own RT-11 operating system with a small foreground job
on one system dedicated to supervising disk and DECtape I/O
for the other systems."

>> C Language System, Second Master Release - DECUS number 11-SP-18
>> Price: $5-$225
>> (This is not DECUS C!!)
>
> Actually, I think it is. They did have a second master release. Lots of
> things moved around.

I think your right, I mos-read t. I thought it said the source was also
in C but it actually doesn't say.

>> And  in the VAX book:
>>
>> APL-11 - DECUS number 11-SP-25  Price: $5-$225
>
> I might actually have this one. Had to fix a few things to make it work
> on a more modern version of RSX...

Actually, this version runs on the VAX under VMS. The PDP_11 version
has always been readily available on the web. I have it.

>> SEDT: Full-Function Screen Editor Program - DECUS number VAX-93
>> Price: $5-$225
>>
>> Interesting pricing scheme.  :-)
>
> My recollection of the pricing was that it was the cost of media, plus a
> modest cost for making the copy. And then you could (at least in some
> cases) also order hardcopy documentation, which added to the price.
>
> I did order some PDP-8 software from DECUS back in the 80s... Got some
> nice 8" floppies with what I wanted. Wasn't that expensive, but it did
> cost me a little bit.

But the main point is still have we lost all this DECUS software?

I wish we could contact some of the people at the commercial sites
as well. There can't actually be any commercial value left in any
of this stuff. But it would be great to be able to show people how
we used to do this stuff.

One name that pops up a lot is Evans, Griffiths & Hart. Name is
very familiar and may have been around until recently (if not still around).

And S & H Computer Systems INC. which not too long ago (in computer
years) publicly released a version of TSX for hobbyist use.

Surely there are people still floating around here who knew a lot
of these companies back in the VAX and PDP-11 days.

bill

Re: DECUS Software

<khok25Fc0opU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28897&group=comp.os.vms#28897

From: bill.gun...@gmail.com (bill)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 19:03:32 -0400
 by: bill - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 23:03 UTC

On 7/18/2023 2:09 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2023-07-18 16:13, bill wrote:
>> On 7/18/2023 10:07 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> We're talking hundreds of interesting packages.  Is all of that lost
>> like all the other commercial stuff?
>
> I think so. :-(

It's funny in a sad sorta way. I used to collect Old Time Radio
programs. Of course it was nostalgia for me because I grew up
before TV and spent a lot of time listening to these programs
on an old Philco radio (Yes, I still have it but like most old
electronics I need to re-cap it yet again.)

I have a recording somewhere of an interview with Jack Benny
where he stated that none of this stuff was ever copyrighted
and seldom preserved because when they made it they didn't see
it having any lasting value. Sadly, it seems that the same
has been applied to computer programming.

bill

Re: DECUS Software

<u97aeu$1rcjv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28898&group=comp.os.vms#28898

From: dav...@tsoft-inc.com (Dave Froble)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 20:23:21 -0400
 by: Dave Froble - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 00:23 UTC

On 7/18/2023 10:13 AM, bill wrote:
> On 7/18/2023 10:07 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> On 2023-07-18 15:08, bill wrote:
>>>
>>> I know that most (but sadly, not all) of the DECUS Symposium Tapes
>>> are scattered around the web for the taking but.....
>>>
>>> Is there an archive anywhere of all (or some?) the various DECUS
>>> products that are listed in the PDP-11 and VAX Software Sourcebooks?
>>>
>>> There are a lot of really interesting things listed in there and it
>>> would be not only fun read some of the sources but even more fun to
>>> try and revive some of them on more current systems.
>>>
>>> Anybody know where they might be found? Does anyone who might have
>>> helped maintain the DECUS archives back in the day still exist?
>>
>> Most of the PDP-11 symposium tapes are still possible to find. Individual
>> items might be trickier sometimes...
>>
>> Don't know for sure about the VAX bits...
>>

> As stated, I know the Symposium Tapes (except for the one I really
> want!) are usually available. I am interested in the stuff that was
> listed as products "available from DECUS" in the PDP_11 and VAX
> Software Sourcebooks. Did all the stuff held by DECUS end up in the
> trash with the only survivors being stuff individuals kept copies of?
> We're talking hundreds of interesting packages. Is all of that lost
> like all the other commercial stuff?
>

> bill

There is the VMS freeware CDs. Still available. Don't know how much cross-over
with the DECUS SIG stuff.

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com

Re: DECUS Software

<u988ib$nho$1@news.misty.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28906&group=comp.os.vms#28906

From: bqt...@softjar.se (Johnny Billquist)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 10:57:47 +0200
 by: Johnny Billquist - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 08:57 UTC

Going on a slight OT here...

On 2023-07-19 00:53, bill wrote:
> On 7/18/2023 2:13 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> On 2023-07-18 19:20, bill wrote:
>>> And  in the VAX book:
>>>
>>> APL-11 - DECUS number 11-SP-25  Price: $5-$225
>>
>> I might actually have this one. Had to fix a few things to make it
>> work on a more modern version of RSX...
>
> Actually, this version runs on the VAX under VMS.  The PDP_11 version
> has always been readily available on the web.  I have it.

I would suspect/expect that it's the same software. First of all, I
doubt there would be two different things both called APL-11 that were
not related.
Second, APL-11 do suggest that it is PDP-11 software. APL-11 actually
came from DEC, but for some reason they put the whole thing to DECUS.
And this was back at the end of the 70s. I guess they just didn't
believe in having it as a commercial product anymore?
Anyway, at this point in time, all VAXen had PDP-11 compatibility in
there, and APL-11 for PDP-11 would compile and be usable on VAX/VMS as
well. Just like most other tools back at that time. VAX native hadn't
come far yet...

But I agree with your comments that it's sad that probably a lot of
stuff have been lost.

I am actually way more upset that the PDP-11 layered software that were
actual products are at the moment also lost. That would, for me, have
way more value to have gotten preserved.

Johnny

Re: DECUS Software

<da4f1cd7-ec77-4bd5-8728-606f0334b15en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28907&group=comp.os.vms#28907

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 04:33:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: jchim...@gmail.com (plugh)
 by: plugh - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 11:33 UTC

On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 8:25:11 AM UTC-7, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 7/18/2023 9:08 AM, bill wrote:
> > I know that most (but sadly, not all) of the DECUS Symposium Tapes
> > are scattered around the web for the taking but.....
> >
> > Is there an archive anywhere of all (or some?) the various DECUS
> > products that are listed in the PDP-11 and VAX Software Sourcebooks?
> >
> > There are a lot of really interesting things listed in there and it
> > would be not only fun read some of the sources but even more fun to
> > try and revive some of them on more current systems.
> >
> > Anybody know where they might be found? Does anyone who might have
> > helped maintain the DECUS archives back in the day still exist?
> https://www.digiater.nl/openvms/decus/
>
> has some of the "later" VMS and L&T SIG tapes.
>
> I have no idea about the more "exotic" ones
> like all the PDP-11 OS SIG's.
>
> Glen Everhart should still be around and may know more.
>
> Arne

My Mar-89 Decus contribution has been lost. The only reference I can find is in the Google cache to c.o.v.

Re: DECUS Software

<u99j1r$2ac4a$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28912&group=comp.os.vms#28912

From: g4u...@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 22:02:52 +0100
 by: David Wade - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 21:02 UTC

On 18/07/2023 23:53, bill wrote:
> On 7/18/2023 2:13 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:

>>> Again, I am not talking about SIG Tapes.  I am talking about products
>>> that DECUS sold that were listed in the DEC Software Sourcebooks for
>>> the PDP-11 and VAX.
>>>
>>> Maybe a few examples might help,
>>>
>>> Dual-Processor RT-11 System - DECUS number 11-436  Price: $5-$225
>>
>> This one I have no clue what it actually was/is.
>
> "This set of RT-11 device handlers allows two PDP-11 CPUs
> connected by a DA11-F bus interface to share the same disk
> or DECtape controllers: RK11, RL11, or TC11.  Each CPU runs
> its own RT-11 operating system with a small foreground job
> on one system dedicated to supervising disk and DECtape I/O
> for the other systems."
>

>>> C Language System, Second Master Release - DECUS number 11-SP-18
>>> Price: $5-$225
>>> (This is not DECUS C!!)
>>
>> Actually, I think it is. They did have a second master release. Lots
>> of things moved around.
>
> I think your right, I mos-read t. I thought it said the source was also
> in C but it actually doesn't say.
>

>>> And  in the VAX book:
>>>
>>> APL-11 - DECUS number 11-SP-25  Price: $5-$225
>>
>> I might actually have this one. Had to fix a few things to make it
>> work on a more modern version of RSX...
>
> Actually, this version runs on the VAX under VMS.  The PDP_11 version
> has always been readily available on the web.  I have it.
>

>>> SEDT: Full-Function Screen Editor Program - DECUS number VAX-93
>>> Price: $5-$225
>>>
>>> Interesting pricing scheme.  :-)
>>
>> My recollection of the pricing was that it was the cost of media, plus
>> a modest cost for making the copy. And then you could (at least in
>> some cases) also order hardcopy documentation, which added to the price.
>>
>> I did order some PDP-8 software from DECUS back in the 80s... Got some
>> nice 8" floppies with what I wanted. Wasn't that expensive, but it did
>> cost me a little bit.
>
> But the main point is still have we lost all this DECUS software?

I believe so. They were charged for so users only bought what was
needed. You weren't supposed to redistribute. Its very sad.

> I wish we could contact some of the people at the commercial sites
> as well.  There can't actually be any commercial value left in any
> of this stuff.  But it would be great to be able to show people how
> we used to do this stuff.
>
> One name that pops up a lot is Evans, Griffiths & Hart.  Name is
> very familiar and may have been around until recently (if not still
> around).

The probably won't help. They will quote the legalese.

> And S & H Computer Systems INC. which not too long ago (in computer
> years) publicly released a version of TSX for hobbyist use.
>
> Surely there are people still floating around here who knew a lot
> of these companies back in the VAX and PDP-11 days.

I tried and failed for :-(

> bill

Dave

Re: DECUS Software

<u9aau3$2hrhk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28916&group=comp.os.vms#28916

From: goathun...@goatley.com (Hunter Goatley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 23:50:26 -0400
 by: Hunter Goatley - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 03:50 UTC

On 7/18/2023 1:20 PM, bill wrote:

> Again, I am not talking about SIG Tapes.  I am talking about products
> that DECUS sold that were listed in the DEC Software Sourcebooks for
> the PDP-11 and VAX.

EISNER (DECUServe) has most (all?) of the VAX packages.

> And  in the VAX book:
>
> APL-11 - DECUS number 11-SP-25  Price: $5-$225
> SEDT: Full-Function Screen Editor Program - DECUS number VAX-93  Price:
> $5-$225

I assume these are the same things.

$ search .index apl,sedt
DISK$REPOSITORY:[MASTER.VMS.LIBRARY].INDEX;1

V00031 APL for VAX/VMS from SCI Version: V3.0, February 1983
V00093 SEDT: Full Function Screen Editor Program Version: V1.0,
March 1984
V00374 APLTPU/APLEVE Version: January 1990

All (AFAIK) of the SIG tapes can be found there, too, under [MASTER]:

DISK$REPOSITORY:[MASTER.RSTS]SIG_TAPES.DIR;1
DISK$REPOSITORY:[MASTER.RSX]SIG_TAPES.DIR;1
DISK$REPOSITORY:[MASTER.RT-11]SIG_TAPES.DIR;1
DISK$REPOSITORY:[MASTER.VMS]SIG_TAPES.DIR;1

--
Hunter
------

Re: DECUS Software

<khsvapFc0opU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28921&group=comp.os.vms#28921

From: bill.gun...@gmail.com (bill)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 10:40:25 -0400
 by: bill - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 14:40 UTC

On 7/19/2023 11:50 PM, Hunter Goatley wrote:
> On 7/18/2023 1:20 PM, bill wrote:
>>
>> Again, I am not talking about SIG Tapes.  I am talking about products
>> that DECUS sold that were listed in the DEC Software Sourcebooks for
>> the PDP-11 and VAX.
>>
> EISNER (DECUServe) has most (all?) of the VAX packages.

Looks like I really need to get an account on EISNER again. Have
to be a new one, though. Even if my old one was still there I can't
remember what it might have been. :-) But then, by noon I probsably
won't remember what I ate for breakfast.

>> And  in the VAX book:
>>
>> APL-11 - DECUS number 11-SP-25  Price: $5-$225
>> SEDT: Full-Function Screen Editor Program - DECUS number VAX-93
>> Price: $5-$225
>>

> I assume these are the same things.
>
> $ search .index apl,sedt
> DISK$REPOSITORY:[MASTER.VMS.LIBRARY].INDEX;1
>
> V00031     APL for VAX/VMS from SCI  Version: V3.0, February 1983

This one is definitely in the book and the numbers correspond. Not the
one I was looking at but one I would be interested in.

> V00093     SEDT: Full Function Screen Editor Program  Version: V1.0,
> March 1984
> V00374     APLTPU/APLEVE  Version: January 1990
>
> All (AFAIK) of the SIG tapes can be found there, too, under [MASTER]:
>
> DISK$REPOSITORY:[MASTER.RSTS]SIG_TAPES.DIR;1
> DISK$REPOSITORY:[MASTER.RSX]SIG_TAPES.DIR;1
> DISK$REPOSITORY:[MASTER.RT-11]SIG_TAPES.DIR;1
> DISK$REPOSITORY:[MASTER.VMS]SIG_TAPES.DIR;1

Will definitely take a look at these. There is one PDP-11 tape in
particular that I have wanted for years and all I ever find is a one
page index of what was on it.

bill

Re: DECUS Software

<kht0ioFc0oqU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28922&group=comp.os.vms#28922

From: bill.gun...@gmail.com (bill)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 11:01:44 -0400
 by: bill - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 15:01 UTC

On 7/20/2023 10:40 AM, bill wrote:
> On 7/19/2023 11:50 PM, Hunter Goatley wrote:
>> On 7/18/2023 1:20 PM, bill wrote:
>>>
>>> Again, I am not talking about SIG Tapes.  I am talking about products
>>> that DECUS sold that were listed in the DEC Software Sourcebooks for
>>> the PDP-11 and VAX.
>>>
>> EISNER (DECUServe) has most (all?) of the VAX packages.
>
> Looks like I really need to get an account on EISNER again.  Have
> to be a new one, though.  Even if my old one was still there I can't
> remember what it might have been.  :-)  But then, by noon I probsably
> won't remember what I ate for breakfast.

Well, that was a bummer.

When I went to register it found my old account and reactivated it.
Sadly, it says my password remains the same and I have no idea what
it might be and see no way to change it.

On another note, tried Contacts, Help and DCLinabox from the web
page and all of them timed out. I suspect that has something to
do with the recent move.

I'll just sit here and wait, patiently.

bill

Re: DECUS Software

<XgduM.33242$%8x.15761@fx10.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28925&group=comp.os.vms#28925

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: mark.dan...@wasd.vsm.com.au (Mark Daniel)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 01:58:38 +0930
 by: Mark Daniel - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 16:28 UTC

https://eisner.decus.org/online/library

--
Anyone, who using social-media, forms an opinion regarding anything
other than the relative cuteness of this or that puppy-dog, needs

Re: DECUS Software

<KtduM.44744$wsc3.31213@fx13.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28926&group=comp.os.vms#28926

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: mark.dan...@wasd.vsm.com.au (Mark Daniel)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 02:12:18 +0930
 by: Mark Daniel - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 16:42 UTC

On 21/7/2023 12:31 am, bill wrote:
> On 7/20/2023 10:40 AM, bill wrote:

>>> EISNER (DECUServe) has most (all?) of the VAX packages.
>>
>> Looks like I really need to get an account on EISNER again.  Have
>> to be a new one, though.  Even if my old one was still there I can't
>> remember what it might have been.  :-)  But then, by noon I probsably
>> won't remember what I ate for breakfast.
>>

> Well, that was a bummer.
>
> When I went to register it found my old account and reactivated it.
> Sadly, it says my password remains the same and I have no idea what
> it might be and see  no way to change it.
>
> On another note, tried Contacts, Help and DCLinabox from the web
> page and all of them timed out.  I suspect that has something to
> do with the recent move.
>
> I'll just sit here and wait, patiently.
>
> bill

|DECUServe On-Line – consulting for peanuts
|Home Features Notes DCLinabox MAIL Links Contacts
| |Contacts
| |For further information regarding obtaining an account or about your
|current account, email information@encompasserve.org
| |For problems with, suggestions for, or otherwise information about the
|Web site, email webmaster@encompasserve.org
| |As at 07 May 2016

Help?

--
Anyone, who using social-media, forms an opinion regarding anything
other than the relative cuteness of this or that puppy-dog, needs
seriously to examine their critical thinking.

Re: DECUS Software

<u9br2a$2qd0n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28927&group=comp.os.vms#28927

From: FIRST.L...@vmssoftware.com (Robert A. Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 13:31:53 -0400
 by: Robert A. Brooks - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:31 UTC

On 7/20/2023 11:01 AM, bill wrote:
> On 7/20/2023 10:40 AM, bill wrote:

>> Looks like I really need to get an account on EISNER again.  Have
>> to be a new one, though.  Even if my old one was still there I can't
>> remember what it might have been.  :-)  But then, by noon I probsably
>> won't remember what I ate for breakfast.
>>

> Well, that was a bummer.
>
> When I went to register it found my old account and reactivated it.
> Sadly, it says my password remains the same and I have no idea what
> it might be and see  no way to change it.

Email me, and I'll sort it out.

--
-- Rob

Re: DECUS Software

<u9br5r$2et$1@news.misty.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28928&group=comp.os.vms#28928

From: bqt...@softjar.se (Johnny Billquist)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 19:33:47 +0200
 by: Johnny Billquist - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:33 UTC

On 2023-07-20 18:28, Mark Daniel wrote:
> On 20/7/2023 1:20 pm, Hunter Goatley wrote:
>> On 7/18/2023 1:20 PM, bill wrote:
>>>
>>> Again, I am not talking about SIG Tapes.  I am talking about products
>>> that DECUS sold that were listed in the DEC Software Sourcebooks for
>>> the PDP-11 and VAX.
>>>
>> EISNER (DECUServe) has most (all?) of the VAX packages.
>>

>>> And  in the VAX book:
>>>
>>> APL-11 - DECUS number 11-SP-25  Price: $5-$225
>>> SEDT: Full-Function Screen Editor Program - DECUS number VAX-93
>>> Price: $5-$225
>>>

>> I assume these are the same things.
>>
>> $ search .index apl,sedt
>> DISK$REPOSITORY:[MASTER.VMS.LIBRARY].INDEX;1
>>
>> V00031     APL for VAX/VMS from SCI  Version: V3.0, February 1983
>> V00093     SEDT: Full Function Screen Editor Program  Version: V1.0,
>> March 1984
>> V00374     APLTPU/APLEVE  Version: January 1990
>>
>> All (AFAIK) of the SIG tapes can be found there, too, under [MASTER]:
>>
>> DISK$REPOSITORY:[MASTER.RSTS]SIG_TAPES.DIR;1
>> DISK$REPOSITORY:[MASTER.RSX]SIG_TAPES.DIR;1
>> DISK$REPOSITORY:[MASTER.RT-11]SIG_TAPES.DIR;1
>> DISK$REPOSITORY:[MASTER.VMS]SIG_TAPES.DIR;1
>
> https://eisner.decus.org/online/library

Sadly, as far as PDP-11 software goes, it seems to primarily be the SIG
tapes.

Johnny

Re: DECUS Software

<u9m67d$2lkb9$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29032&group=comp.os.vms#29032

From: legalize...@mail.xmission.com (Richard)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 15:43:41 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: legalize+jeeves@mail.xmission.com
Originator: legalize@shell.xmission.com (Richard)
 by: Richard - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 15:43 UTC

Mark Daniel <mark.daniel@wasd.vsm.com.au> spake the secret code
<XgduM.33242$%8x.15761@fx10.ams4> thusly:

>https://eisner.decus.org/online/library

Am I the only one getting ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED for this host?
The Terminals Wiki <http://terminals-wiki.org>
The Computer Graphics Museum <http://computergraphicsmuseum.org>
Legalize Adulthood! (my blog) <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>

Re: DECUS Software

<ba0ed918-82e1-43c7-93b0-b2b0c864ce0an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29034&group=comp.os.vms#29034

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 08:52:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: gxy...@uk2.net (Ian Miller)
 by: Ian Miller - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 15:52 UTC

On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 4:43:45 PM UTC+1, Richard wrote:

> Mark Daniel <mark....@wasd.vsm.com.au> spake the secret code
> <XgduM.33242$%8x.1...@fx10.ams4> thusly:
>
> >https://eisner.decus.org/online/library
>
> Am I the only one getting ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED for this host?
> --
> "The Direct3D Graphics Pipeline" free book <http://tinyurl.com/d3d-pipeline>
> The Terminals Wiki <http://terminals-wiki.org>
> The Computer Graphics Museum <http://computergraphicsmuseum.org>
> Legalize Adulthood! (my blog) <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>

Not just you, my work network does not like the certificate that eisner has

Re: DECUS Software

<ki7llgF2d55U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29036&group=comp.os.vms#29036

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 17:02:56 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 16:02 UTC

Ian Miller wrote:

> Richard wrote:
>
>> Am I the only one getting ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED for this host?
>
> Not just you, my work network does not like the certificate that eisner has

all good here ...

Re: DECUS Software

<7bbbdf7f-2b8e-4c3b-87e1-3bf9a52ad972n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29037&group=comp.os.vms#29037

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 09:09:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: terry-gr...@glaver.org (terry-...@glaver.org)
 by: terry-...@glaver.org - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 16:09 UTC

On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 11:52:03 AM UTC-4, Ian Miller wrote:
> On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 4:43:45 PM UTC+1, Richard wrote:
> > [Please do not mail me a copy of your followup]
> >
> > Mark Daniel <mark....@wasd.vsm.com.au> spake the secret code
> > <XgduM.33242$%8x.1...@fx10.ams4> thusly:
> >
> > >https://eisner.decus.org/online/library
> >
> > Am I the only one getting ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED for this host?
>
> Not just you, my work network does not like the certificate that eisner has

SSLlabs gives it an A+ rating with individual scores of 100/100/90/90:
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=eisner.decus.org

If your host/network doesn't like Eisner's certificate it will probably
have problems with other Let's Encrypt hosts. You might want to open
a ticket with your IT department (unless you *ARE* your IT department).

Re: DECUS Software

<u9m7oo$2ll79$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29038&group=comp.os.vms#29038

From: legalize...@mail.xmission.com (Richard)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 16:10:00 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: legalize+jeeves@mail.xmission.com
Originator: legalize@shell.xmission.com (Richard)
 by: Richard - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 16:10 UTC

Ian Miller <gxys@uk2.net> spake the secret code
<ba0ed918-82e1-43c7-93b0-b2b0c864ce0an@googlegroups.com> thusly:

>On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 4:43:45 PM UTC+1, Richard wrote:
>> Mark Daniel <mark....@wasd.vsm.com.au> spake the secret code
>> <XgduM.33242$%8x.1...@fx10.ams4> thusly:
>>
>> >https://eisner.decus.org/online/library
>>
>> Am I the only one getting ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED for this host?
>
>Not just you, my work network does not like the certificate that eisner has

OK, yeah, I did an experiment and I can access through my ISP's shell,
but not through $WORK_LAN.

Thanks for the confirmation.