Schshschshchsch. -- The Gorn, "Arena", stardate 3046.2

computers / comp.misc / Re: Filtering googlegroups. [was: Re: USENET, the OG social network, ri

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Filtering googlegroups. [was: Re: USENET, the OG social network, ricandycane
+* Re: Filtering googlegroups. [was: Re: USENET, the OG social network, riSn!pe
|`* Re: Filtering googlegroups. [was: Re: USENET, the OG socialBen Collver
| +- Re: Filtering googlegroups. [was: Re: USENET, the OG social network, riSn!pe
| `- Re: Filtering googlegroups. [was: Re: USENET, the OG socialDan Purgert
`- Re: Filtering googlegroups. [was: Re: USENET, the OG social network, riRich

1
Re: Filtering googlegroups. [was: Re: USENET, the OG social network, ri

<278517631@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2900&group=comp.misc#2900

From: candyc...@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet (candycane)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: Filtering googlegroups. [was: Re: USENET, the OG social network, ri
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 08:31:56 +1300
 by: candycane - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 19:31 UTC

Ri> When your ISP drops the service (and this would have been drops circa
Ri> 1998-2005) one is left with the "pay monthly" servers (that primarially
Ri> price their monthly costs for "binaries access" usage) and (at the
Ri> time) google groups (assuming GG was around, if not, they likely just
Ri> dropped out until GG did appear later).

The BBS scene made a gateway to usenet (which I'm using now) and it works
decently enough. Plus I also get the BBS boards

---------------

.... "42? 7 and a half million years and all you can come up with is 42?!"
___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

Re: Filtering googlegroups. [was: Re: USENET, the OG social network, ri

<1qgn68i.jcy6iz19o4fezN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2907&group=comp.misc#2907

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:17:49 +0100
iZ4vFDG
 by: Sn!pe - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 14:17 UTC

candycane <candycane@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet> wrote:

> Ri> When your ISP drops the service (and this would have been drops circa
> Ri> 1998-2005) one is left with the "pay monthly" servers (that primarially
> Ri> price their monthly costs for "binaries access" usage) and (at the
> Ri> time) google groups (assuming GG was around, if not, they likely just
> Ri> dropped out until GG did appear later).
>
> The BBS scene made a gateway to usenet (which I'm using now) and it works
> decently enough. Plus I also get the BBS boards
>
> ---------------
> user <candycane> is generated from /dev/urandom
>
> ... "42? 7 and a half million years and all you can come up with is 42?!"
> ___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

By Usenet standards, your set-up neither threads nor quotes correctly.
It's a poor ambassador for the BBS scene.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: Filtering googlegroups. [was: Re: USENET, the OG social network, ri

<slrnufh5fe.265.bencollver@svadhyaya.localdomain>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2908&group=comp.misc#2908

From: bencoll...@tilde.pink (Ben Collver)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: Filtering googlegroups. [was: Re: USENET, the OG social
network, ri
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:08:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ben Collver - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:08 UTC

On 2023-09-06, Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:
> candycane <candycane@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet> wrote:
>
>> The BBS scene made a gateway to usenet (which I'm using now) and it works
>> decently enough. Plus I also get the BBS boards
>
> By Usenet standards, your set-up neither threads nor quotes correctly.
> It's a poor ambassador for the BBS scene.

Candycane, your BBS scene will never support the technical
requirements for the massive superiority complexes found on Usenet.
Here's a nickel kid, get yourself a better computer.
</smug>

Re: Filtering googlegroups. [was: Re: USENET, the OG social network, ri

<1qgn9gq.wsllp3t8b5kgN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2909&group=comp.misc#2909

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 16:24:34 +0100
This article may be reproduced for the purposes of propagation and
personal use only, no commercial use without express permission.
 by: Sn!pe - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:24 UTC

Ben Collver <bencollver@tilde.pink> wrote:

> On 2023-09-06, Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:
> > candycane <candycane@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet> wrote:
> >
> >> The BBS scene made a gateway to usenet (which I'm using now) and it works
> >> decently enough. Plus I also get the BBS boards
> >
> > By Usenet standards, your set-up neither threads nor quotes correctly.
> > It's a poor ambassador for the BBS scene.
>
> Candycane, your BBS scene will never support the technical
> requirements for the massive superiority complexes found on Usenet.
> Here's a nickel kid, get yourself a better computer.
> </smug>

Hah! At moments like this it's as well to remember that offense is more
often taken rather than it is given.
--
^Ï^. Sn!pe <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: Filtering googlegroups. [was: Re: USENET, the OG social network, ri

<slrnufh6p0.f45.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2910&group=comp.misc#2910

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
network, ri
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:29:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:29 UTC

On 2023-09-06, Ben Collver wrote:
> [...]
> Candycane, your BBS scene will never support the technical
> requirements for the massive superiority complexes found on Usenet.

"Aw, did your mommy buy you a computer for Christmas?"

> Here's a nickel kid, get yourself a better computer.

.... huh, I always got told to play in traffic :(

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Filtering googlegroups. [was: Re: USENET, the OG social network, ri

<uda7bd$2ic14$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2911&group=comp.misc#2911

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:54:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:54 UTC

candycane <candycane@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet> wrote:
> Ri> When your ISP drops the service (and this would have been drops circa
> Ri> 1998-2005) one is left with the "pay monthly" servers (that primarially
> Ri> price their monthly costs for "binaries access" usage) and (at the
> Ri> time) google groups (assuming GG was around, if not, they likely just
> Ri> dropped out until GG did appear later).
>
> The BBS scene made a gateway to usenet (which I'm using now) and it works
> decently enough. Plus I also get the BBS boards

Except it breaks the References: header that creates proper threading
within proper newsreaders.

You can get a free Eternal September account here: http://www.eternal-september.org/

And then use a real newsreader that inserts proper References: headers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Usenet_newsreaders