From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Installing Bing maps vai installing Edge, good and bad reasons?
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 16:47:01 +0200
 by: micky - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 14:47 UTC

Is it worth it to put bing maps on the phone? Does installing Edge use
a lot of my limited storage, or other resources?

I've noticed that, while Bing maps do not zoom in as far as google maps,
in some circumstances, sat view is less blurry for the closest zoom you
actually can go to, than is google maps.

But it seems iiuc that there is no app for Bing maps like t here is for
google maps. Isn't that strange?

And it seems, maybe, hard to believe, that you can only get to Bing maps
from Edge. When I'm in a browser on my phone and I google bing maps
first it wants me to log into or crate a MS account and then it offers
to let me install Edge. I avoid Edge on the PC and use Firefox, and on
the phone Use the one that comes with the phone.

Is there a reasons of space or performance that I should not install, or
if I install it, not use Edge unless I want to use a Bing map?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Installing Bing maps vai installing Edge, good and bad reasons?

<1xr86w1sn2bbp$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29011&group=comp.mobile.android#29011

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 11:52:15 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 17:52 UTC

micky wrote:

> Is it worth it to put bing maps on the phone? Does installing Edge
> use a lot of my limited storage, or other resources?
>
> I've noticed that, while Bing maps do not zoom in as far as google
> maps, in some circumstances, sat view is less blurry for the closest
> zoom you actually can go to, than is google maps.
>
> But it seems iiuc that there is no app for Bing maps like t here is
> for google maps. Isn't that strange?
>
> And it seems, maybe, hard to believe, that you can only get to Bing
> maps from Edge. When I'm in a browser on my phone and I google
> bing maps first it wants me to log into or crate a MS account and
> then it offers to let me install Edge. I avoid Edge on the PC and
> use Firefox, and on the phone Use the one that comes with the phone.
>
> Is there a reasons of space or performance that I should not install,
> or if I install it, not use Edge unless I want to use a Bing map?

I've not needed Bing maps on my Android phone. I use Google Maps, and
occasionally HERE [WeGo] which has much larger offline maps (but also
consumes more storage). I have used Bing Maps on my desktop PC but very
rarely. I think it's been when the street view in Google Maps is too
old, and the one in Bing is newer to show me a recent change in the
area, like showing the building instead of the construction lot. I've
had it the other way, too: Google Maps shows me a later stree-side view
than Bing. Depends on when their camera truck last drove by.

I did not find a Bing Maps (from Microsoft) app at play.google.com. I
did find https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/maps/mobile. So, like with the
OpenStreet map database and its API integrated into 3rd party app makers
(e.g., MAPS.ME), you'd have to find a 3rd party app maker that
incorporates the Microsoft Maps API (via the SDK) into their app. Since
there is a "Contact sales" link at the Microsoft site, maybe Microsoft's
maps database isn't free.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/maps/licensing

At:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/maps/faq

There is the "Is Bing Maps free to use?" question. The free account has
a low enough "billable" quota on number of transactions that any popular
3rd party app using the Bing Maps API could easily get swamped by lots
of users doing lots of inquiries. I've run into this with the Google
Gmail API (Google's counter to Microsoft's Exchange): you can get a free
quota, but it doesn't take much to exceed it. I use the eM Client for
e-mail, and it will default to using the GMail API to access Gmail's
e-mail, calendar, and tasks. Users were encountering errors showing the
eM Client account at Google had exceeded its quota. eM Client upped the
quota (which requires paying more), but they had so many users that the
enlarged quota got consumed after just 3 days. I deleted the Gmail
account in eM Client (that was using the Gmail API), and created a new
account that used IMAP (since I didn't need sync on my Google calendar
and tasks which I don't use, and instead use Microsoft's Outlook app
which uses Exchange to have calendar and task sync). Not all APIs are
free. Those that have a free service tier often have quota limitations.

The vast majority of apps are just web-centric interfaces to a web site
instead of using a web browser. They present a different and sometimes
easier interface then visiting the web site. You can still use a web
browser on your phone to visit https://www.bing.com/maps, and you could
save a shortcut to that web browser target on a home screen.

I have the Firefox Mobile web browser on my Android phone. Bing Maps is
accessible using Firefox. Perhaps you installed some add-on(s) into
Firefox (it allows add-ons whereas Google Chrome does not) that
interferes with accessing the Bing Maps site. I just tested it in
Firefox. I also tested in Chrome where the Bing Maps site was
reachable, and rendered okay. Firefox and Chrome (via Edge Chromium)
work with the Bing Maps site on my phone and my desktop PC.

If you visit a Microsoft site using a non-Microsoft web client, yeah,
they try to push you to using their Edge web browser, but that is not a
requirement to visit the Microsoft site. Google does the same thing:
when you visit a Google site using a non-Google web browser, Google
tries to push you to their Chrome web browser. This behavior has
existed for MANY years. It's not new. It's only Google that makes some
of their sites Chrome-specific: you must use Chrome (or a variant, like
Edge Chrome) to visit some Google sites.