From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Cell phones in battle
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2022 22:22:39 -0700
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 05:22 UTC

I keep hearing about Russian soldiers in Ukraine using cell phones, but I
wonder how that is possible during a war given how easy they are to track.

Are the Russians _really_ using cell phones while in battle?
(Anyone have better resources than I've seen so far?)

In the USA, does anyone know if our own military has rules on use of cell
phones during times of war by the soldiers who are active in the field?

Re: Cell phones in battle

<pv69fi-qbd.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28598&group=comp.mobile.android#28598

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Cell phones in battle
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 11:41:29 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 10:41 UTC

On 2022-03-04 06:22, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> I keep hearing about Russian soldiers in Ukraine using cell phones,

Yes they do. And not only them.

> but I
> wonder how that is possible during a war given how easy they are to track.

Only if you have the tools.

Actually, their limitation is getting service from the local providers,
which is unlikely.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Cell phones in battle

<t0fh7m$1qdp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29095&group=comp.mobile.android#29095

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 13:01:41 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 13:01 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

>> I keep hearing about Russian soldiers in Ukraine using cell phones,
>
> Yes they do. And not only them.

Thank you for responding to what is a question anyone would have, but probably none of us will ever know the full details of what's happening.

I am surprised soldiers are using cellphones in battle for a whole bunch of reasons, not the least of which are reliability & security & tracking.

>> but I
>> wonder how that is possible during a war given how easy they are to track.
>
> Only if you have the tools.

They can fly IMEI catchers like the FBI did to us with those Cessnas.
Or you set up a Stingray like they did to us also with the Harris box.
Or a jammer, like they do outside of prisons.

In my humble opinion, these aren't expensive in terms of military costs,
particularly if they're donated by the West in those huge packages.
> Actually, their limitation is getting service from the local providers,
> which is unlikely.

It seems that while certainly in some cities the Internet and cellular
towers aren't working, in many they must be working given I've seen many
interviews with people who are inside Ukraine with seemingly ok service.

I heard an analyst say half of Ukraine's Internet is Russian owned, which
itself is interesting in terms of reliability & security & tracking.

The recent reports reputedly of a Ukrainan interception of cellular signals because, reputedly, the "ERA" military encryption depended on 3G/4G towers, seems almost unbelievable, but it's in all the news lately.
<https://latestpagenews.com/news/russians-wont-be-able-to-use-encrypted-phone-system-in-ukraine-after-destroying-pylons-expert-suggests/>=
"The main explanation is that ERA required 3G or 4G to work
and the Russian Army destroyed those masts as they advanced"

Some of the articles specifically mention the Harris Stingray which
we talked about many times as they are also used in the USA.

<https://securykid.com/russian-officer-complains-about-meltdown-of-communications-with-a-dead-general-on-an-intercepted-phone/>
<https://www.thedefensepost.com/2022/03/09/russian-phones-hacked/>
<https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/ukraine-russian-militarys-own-encrypted-phones-impacted-after-destroying-3g4g-towers-allowing-comms-to-be-intercepted/>
<https://inews.co.uk/news/world/russian-troops-era-phone-system-ukraine-destroyed-4g-masts-1504149>
<https://news.sky.com/story/russians-reportedly-take-out-own-secure-communications-system-during-kharkiv-assault-12560577>
<https://www.rawstory.com/russia-ukraine-war/>
<https://euroweeklynews.com/2022/03/08/russian-soldiers-called-idiots-for-destroying-3g-towers/amp/>

In summary, if the Russians (or any soldier) even has so much as a cell phone
in his pocket that is turned on, I'd wonder about their communications strategy.